Kindle Forum banner

Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?

473K views 5K replies 291 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
I'm just curious.

I'm a huge fan of Lisa Kleypas, but don't see any new historicals on her Sneak Peek page.

I also love Julia Quinn and she's marrying off one of the Smythe-Smith sisters (the ones that have musicals every year and are so terrible)!  Can't wait for that one! (and does anyone else think Mrs. Bridgerton should have gotten a HEA after her kids were married off? I would have loved that.)

#4,777 ·
I have a question for you HR gurus - has anyone run across any historical sports romance? I know it's a thing in contemporary, but I have no interest in football/basketball/televised sports, so I haven't read any of them. The historical I'm writing now is with an athlete-hero and I haven't seen many other historicals with organized sports. Courtney Milan's 'The Governess Affair' has a boxer (and it seems like every rake in the Regencies goes to "Gentleman Jack's") but he's not actively fighting at the time of the story.

When I've gone searching I've found exactly four books that seem to be specifically historical sports romance:
Three in this horse racing series:

One 1930s boxer, which may have future books to follow?

Do you have any other leads for me?

#4,778 ·
bloshb said:
I have a question for you HR gurus - has anyone run across any historical sports romance? I know it's a thing in contemporary, but I have no interest in football/basketball/televised sports, so I haven't read any of them. The historical I'm writing now is with an athlete-hero and I haven't seen many other historicals with organized sports. Courtney Milan's 'The Governess Affair' has a boxer (and it seems like every rake in the Regencies goes to "Gentleman Jack's") but he's not actively fighting at the time of the story.

Do you have any other leads for me?
SBTB just had a rec league post asking for athlete heroines and it just so happens that two historicals were mentioned. I've read one of them, The Secret Heart by Erin Satie, set in early Victorian times which has a hero who is an Earl but also a bareknuckle boxer who actually fights for real, not just as a hobby. The heroine is a serious ballerina although she only dances in private. The book's reviews were mixed, but I loved it and it was very different from the usual historical.

The other book that was mentioned is Summer is for Lovers by Jennifer McQuiston. I haven't read this one, but apparently the heroine is a female swimmer? IDK but I think I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm always on the lookout for historicals that are different from the usual run of the mill Regency.

#4,779 ·
I don't think I am going to be much help with sports type HR. Its not a theme I remember when I read. Would it be like a Corinthian? Gentlemen that did racing, fencing and such things?

I did read the McQuiston and I liked it. A swimming heroine wasn't something I have come across. But not sure if I would call that sports. I guess it is, but not in the organized type that is usually understood in contempo sport romances.

I guess there could be a HR with say tennis tournaments, they did have those far back enough to be HR. But I don't know any. Drawing a total blank on all that. But I am curious about the ones already posted. Might take a peek.

I finished a couple of books I enjoyed

This was also witty and a bit over the top. But very enjoyable to read. Just very readable and entertaining all the way through. Its the 2nd in a series, I didn't like the first this much.

I really enjoyed this one. He is a duke, she is a seamstreass. Not of the historical accurate variety, probably. I can never tell. Its romantic, fluffy yes, but I found it witty. The banter is really funny. Hero is very damaged, both inside and out. One side of his body, face all the way down is totally burned and twisted from a rocket blast at Waterloo. I loved the heroine also and it was so rewarding to see the hero feeling like he deserved to be loved. Over the top? yes. Fluffy? Yes. Witty? yes. Romantic? Oh yes. ;D

Both I gave 4 stars. They went fast, have stuff happening and were just the right thing I needed. Not a boring moment in sight.

#4,780 ·
Atunah said:

I really enjoyed this one. He is a duke, she is a seamstreass. Not of the historical accurate variety, probably. I can never tell. Its romantic, fluffy yes, but I found it witty. The banter is really funny. Hero is very damaged, both inside and out. One side of his body, face all the way down is totally burned and twisted from a rocket blast at Waterloo. I loved the heroine also and it was so rewarding to see the hero feeling like he deserved to be loved. Over the top? yes. Fluffy? Yes. Witty? yes. Romantic? Oh yes. ;D
I also just finished The Duchess Deal. I snapped it up when it was on sale last week and couldn't resist it. Tessa Dare is pretty much an auto buy for me. :D

Currently on sale for $0.99 is Trusting Miss Trentham by Emily Larkin. It's the third book in her Baleful Godmothers series which are historicals with a paranormal twist (basically the heroines get granted a wish by a fairy godmother when they come of age). In the first one, the heroine wishes for the ability to change shapes, then uses it to change herself into a man so she can live independently. In this one, the heroine has wished for the ability to tell truth from lies.

The first book in the series, Unmasking Miss Appleby, is free (not sure if that's permanent or not). I read it and loved it. The sample on Trusting Miss Trentham drew me right in so I've one-clicked. ;D

#4,781 ·
I been on a roll it seems. Just finished these and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Another good one. Liked the characters and all the stuff with it.

This I really loved. Downtrotten heroine, one of my catnips. Nice mystery, adventure and such things in this one. I have read several by this author and liked all of them. Very dependable pageturning reads. I am already starting the second in this series which will be a 50 year old hero. ;D

This is the 3rd in a series and although it was fine reading, I rated it as 3. I didn't like it as much as the 2nd or even the 1st. 2nd I think was my favorite. This had a wee bit too much and too long sex scenes in it. Not crude and I guess because of the subject matter, I did expect there to be a lot, but it just went on a bit long. Maybe I am getting tired of 20% long scenes. Its kind of interesting, but stays a wee shallow on some of the other stuff the hero is into. I wanted to see more of that part. His secret dealings with his friends.

So overall a great set of books. I just don't have much to say about them other than I liked them. Sometimes I just don't have anything. You ever have that? You like something, but you can't really put anything down about it. Just "I really liked this". This is how I feel lately. I don't write reviews anymore, I just never know what to say. I just rather start the next book. And I am too lazy to go back and look up names and all that just to write something on amazon or goodreads. My star ratings just have to stand on their own.
I have had a lot of 4* lately and some 3 stars. So I am not complaining. After a slow start reading at the beginning of the month due to pollens, I am on a roll now and I hope it continues. I am also on a HR run right now. CR and PNR just don't do it for me anymore mostly.

#4,782 ·
Atunah said:

Both I gave 4 stars. They went fast, have stuff happening and were just the right thing I needed. Not a boring moment in sight.
I read this last night and have to agree with you all the way, thoroughly enjoyable. I highlighted some of the funny banter and quirky descriptions that made me laugh out loud. One of my favorites was early in the book and Emma was struggling to keep up with everything she was being introduced to with this man, Ash, and how exhausting he was -- thinking to herself "Less of a man, more of a gymnasium." For some reason that cracked me up. Then there is the cat ... and coming up with pet names for her new husband ... and the servants trying to help them fall in love ... making a ball gown from the draperies ... swearing in Shakespeare vernacular ...

Surely this will be a continuing series and we'll get stories for the 3 friends from Bloom Square (loved that one of them earns a living setting clocks to Greenwich time) and maybe Trevor "The Menace"?

This was a fun but emotionally satisfying read!

#4,785 ·
loonlover said:
Amazon says I pre-ordered it on 12/09/17. Not sure how I found out about it then.
Interesting that you already have it pre-ordered! I went back through the posts from most of 2017 and didn't find us talking about it at all. That surprised me since we did talk about Kelly Bowen being an auto-buy now for many of us when the big author list was made after going through the whole thread but Bowen wasn't on it. Maybe someone mentioned it farther back and I missed it. I think today is the first time I saw the new title.

Yay for us to have a new Kelly Bowen in 2 weeks, right?!

#4,786 ·
I am on a waitlist at a library. Can't recall which one right now or how long I been on it.  :p
Usually when know about new releases and the library does not have a pre-order yet, I request it and tell it to put me on wait list right away. That way when they do purchase it, even if its still pre-order, I can get in line.
Unfortunately many have the same idea so I am always too slow and still end up on the end of the line.  8)

I've been on a historical mystery kick, so I haven't posted much in this thread. Once I get through my current HM library loans, its back to HR.  ;D

#4,787 ·
crebel said:
Interesting that you already have it pre-ordered! I went back through the posts from most of 2017 and didn't find us talking about it at all. That surprised me since we did talk about Kelly Bowen being an auto-buy now for many of us when the big author list was made after going through the whole thread but Bowen wasn't on it. Maybe someone mentioned it farther back and I missed it. I think today is the first time I saw the new title.

Yay for us to have a new Kelly Bowen in 2 weeks, right?!
Definitely ready for it. I haven't been reading much lately as I just haven't found the right book. I may have found out a new one was on the way when I was updating my list of read books and had to look up the series name for some of them. I may have spotted info about it then. Have to admit, too, that I never thought about mentioning it here. I'll try to do better in the future.

#4,789 ·
Wisteria Clematis said:
Kelly Bowen's new book is 5+ stars for me. A brilliant start to a new series. I've enjoyed all of her stories but this one may be my all time favorite.

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you think.
I am slowly moving up on the list. I was 11th in line, now I am 6th. They have 2 copies. Estimate according to Libby is 6 weeks, but I don't think it will take that long. I find it usually overestimated.
Everywhere I hear folks talking about this book they loved it. Pretty much everyone I trust gives it high marks, A or 5 stars. I am really looking forward to it.
Kelly Bowen is definitely one of those new HR authors that moved straight up to Level 1 for me. Level 1 being the big names like Balogh, Kleypas, etc. Level 2 is about everything else that I also love, but not quite with the gravitas or back catalog, if you know what I mean.

I am reading my way through Elisa Braden right now. on the 5th right now. Pretty much loved each one of those books. Each with different type of characters, individual stories. Very very enjoyable. She is another of my favorite new discoveries in HR. Those being so rare now.

#4,790 ·
Atunah said:
I am slowly moving up on the list. I was 11th in line, now I am 6th. They have 2 copies. Estimate according to Libby is 6 weeks, but I don't think it will take that long. I find it usually overestimated.
Everywhere I hear folks talking about this book they loved it. Pretty much everyone I trust gives it high marks, A or 5 stars. I am really looking forward to it.
Kelly Bowen is definitely one of those new HR authors that moved straight up to Level 1 for me. Level 1 being the big names like Balogh, Kleypas, etc. Level 2 is about everything else that I also love, but not quite with the gravitas or back catalog, if you know what I mean.

I am reading my way through Elisa Braden right now. on the 5th right now. Pretty much loved each one of those books. Each with different type of characters, individual stories. Very very enjoyable. She is another of my favorite new discoveries in HR. Those being so rare now.
I've read two of Elisa Braden's books and really enjoyed them. They were each 4 stars for me (I almost never give 5) so I definitely plan to try another soon. Darn TBR pile is getting ridiculous.

#4,791 ·
Wisteria Clematis said:
Kelly Bowen's new book is 5+ stars for me. A brilliant start to a new series. I've enjoyed all of her stories but this one may be my all time favorite.

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you think.
I finished it last night and I have no clue how I want to rate it. I liked every character I would be expected to like, I disliked the one really bad guy character, I liked the HEA and look forward to continuing the series.

The gist of the story really throws every single Regency "rule" out the window for pretty much every single character, doesn't it? I get that Clara is trying to turn expectations and norms on their heads and wants everyone to think of people, women in particular, as individuals. If there weren't women pushing against those expectations ever, we females of today would still be under male subjugation, after all! But every character except the one bad guy quickly accepts women as career-minded, forward thinking, sexually liberal, and willing to ignore class distinctions with no more than light concern?

I just don't know. I wanted all those things to turn out the way they did, but it seemed too "easy" for the time frame. I think I must be the only one who feels this way and I'm glad everyone else I've heard from loves it without reservation.

#4,792 ·
I understand what you mean. Haven't read that one yet, but there are others I love, but I know they are not very historically accurate. I separate those into what I call wallpaper historicals, which aren't usually very good but often passable. Not often get any idea of the actual time frame and all that.
Then there are the what I call social issue historicals. More of the modern written ones are like that. Wanting to be more inclusive, having forward thinking people in it. Often a lot of them. Those can be really great, but I usually know what I am getting into. Its like we go from one extreme from older HR with all the non PC stuff in it, but often much more "believable" situations, and the modern "issues" driven HR to go totally the other way. In those it really comes down to the writing for me. Good thing is I like both, the old school, somewhat older school and some of the newer stuff.

I am not so big on the wallpaper type where I don't even get a feeling of the time and its more like modern heroines put into the past. Like a time travel.

The social issue driven ones I can like if they are well done, but I don't like too many of those in a row. I get it, more inclusion is good, more interesting heroes and heroines are nice. Unique situations, non lordlings, etc. But at times I just want to read a nice HR without trying so hard not to offend anyone or anything. If you know what I mean.

I am still at same position for that book at library, so I'll know soon hopefully.  8)

#4,794 ·
Atunah said:
I understand what you mean. Haven't read that one yet, but there are others I love, but I know they are not very historically accurate. I separate those into what I call wallpaper historicals, which aren't usually very good but often passable. Not often get any idea of the actual time frame and all that.
Then there are the what I call social issue historicals. More of the modern written ones are like that. Wanting to be more inclusive, having forward thinking people in it. Often a lot of them. Those can be really great, but I usually know what I am getting into. Its like we go from one extreme from older HR with all the non PC stuff in it, but often much more "believable" situations, and the modern "issues" driven HR to go totally the other way. In those it really comes down to the writing for me. Good thing is I like both, the old school, somewhat older school and some of the newer stuff.

I am not so big on the wallpaper type where I don't even get a feeling of the time and its more like modern heroines put into the past. Like a time travel.

The social issue driven ones I can like if they are well done, but I don't like too many of those in a row. I get it, more inclusion is good, more interesting heroes and heroines are nice. Unique situations, non lordlings, etc. But at times I just want to read a nice HR without trying so hard not to offend anyone or anything. If you know what I mean.

I am still at same position for that book at library, so I'll know soon hopefully. 8)
Definitely not what you call a wallpaper historical. Since I posted I went to read reviews at Amazon. One reviewer titles her review "A Feminist Historical", so I think that's your "modern issues driven HR". It was well written, but for me a little over the top in the sheer number of characters having or willing to quickly accept a more contemporary mindset.

Book #2 is due out in September.

#4,795 ·
crebel said:
Definitely not what you call a wallpaper historical. Since I posted I went to read reviews at Amazon. One reviewer titles her review "A Feminist Historical", so I think that's your "modern issues driven HR". It was well written, but for me a little over the top in the sheer number of characters having or willing to quickly accept a more contemporary mindset.

Book #2 is due out in September.

Yeah, that is what I mean by modern issue driven. I can't think of a better term. Lots of women issues, lower classes, lots of progressive thinking characters, etc. It can just get a bit much for me at times. When its every book by an author. But this author hasn't done that in the past I don't think. I am curious now.

readingril said:
Brooklyn:

Your holds position: #15 of 23 holds

Library copies: 2

Maryland:

No Kelly Bowen books. The horror!
I am #6 at Brooklyn, I am ahead of youuuuuuu

I do return the library loans when I am done usually, so I don't keep them for the full 3 weeks.

#4,797 ·
crebel said:
I finished it last night and I have no clue how I want to rate it. I liked every character I would be expected to like, I disliked the one really bad guy character, I liked the HEA and look forward to continuing the series.

The gist of the story really throws every single Regency "rule" out the window for pretty much every single character, doesn't it? I get that Clara is trying to turn expectations and norms on their heads and wants everyone to think of people, women in particular, as individuals. If there weren't women pushing against those expectations ever, we females of today would still be under male subjugation, after all! But every character except the one bad guy quickly accepts women as career-minded, forward thinking, sexually liberal, and willing to ignore class distinctions with no more than light concern?

I just don't know. I wanted all those things to turn out the way they did, but it seemed too "easy" for the time frame. I think I must be the only one who feels this way and I'm glad everyone else I've heard from loves it without reservation.
I was willing to suspend belief on this one for a couple of reasons. First, we were told right in the beginning that the heroine's entire family were total nonconformists. Every one of the bunch is an eccentric. Her brother is titled but his dream is to pursue a medical career. That would have been totally unheard of. Her sister is an artist--again, women just weren't commissioned to paint portraits in that era. On the surface at least Clara is actually the most conventional person in her family....a teacher. It is only when you learn WHAT she is teaching that you realize how radical she actually is.....and those classes were kept highly secret, hardly any one in society knew what went on in those summer classes. The hero himself had a completely unconventional upbringing--literally living on the streets for two years as a young boy and forced to steal food for his family so they could survive. He therefore does not have the same outlook as a traditional Duke, but even he struggles at first to reconcile just how unconventional Clara is. He is scandalized when he first learns about the student 'internships.' So I thought the author did a decent job in making this believable. I appreciated that it was a totally unusual story line (actually loved that it was not the same old stuff) and suspended belief, rooting for the hero and heroine to have their HEA. I guess if I wanted real life I'd read biographies. ;D Every reader will probably have to find their own comfort level with this book.

#4,798 ·
The latest Kleypas is out today. The 4th in the Ravenels

This one is about the woman doctor, looking forward to it. Sometimes by xmas. I am like 74 out of 132 on the wait list with 2 copies. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It'll be a while. The audio is available at another library, but Brooklyn is the only of mine that has the ebook.

I thought I got on that list fast, but not so. Maybe they'll buy some more copies.

#4,799 ·
Well read it fast when you get it 'cause because I'm
#76 of 132 holds
;)

If it goes on sale first though I'll buy it. Heck, I might even break down and buy it sooner.

We should be moving up, though, because the Kindle version is still unavailable. I figure some of the holds might drop quickly seeing there isn't a Kindle version. Yet. I have a contemporary (Jenny Holidays' One and Only)
that came available for me that way yesterday - I'm hoping the Kindle version will show up before my hold dies. :D

I have a weird problem. Our younger golden decided she needed to go out at 0230 this morning. Hubby got up with her, and I grabbed my phone for a minute. Somewhere I saw a book I thought I might want to read, searched the title on Overdrive, but it wasn't there. Boo. This morning I remember nothing about this book, not the title, not the author.  All I remember extremely vaguely is I recognized the author's name as a newer historical romance author, and it has one of those cutesy twist of a phrase titles. Sorta wished I was supposed to go to work today because I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to figure out what the book is! After I attempted to look for it a bit, and didn't find it, I ended up falling down a rabbit hole looking for the release date of Courtney Milan's After The Wedding. Didn't find that either.

OK, removing myself from this dang computer to hopefully accomplish something around the house. *gives Kindle the evil eye* <- it keeps staring at me!
:D

#4,800 ·
Atunah said:
The latest Kleypas is out today. The 4th in the Ravenels

This one is about the woman doctor, looking forward to it. Sometimes by xmas. I am like 74 out of 132 on the wait list with 2 copies. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
It'll be a while. The audio is available at another library, but Brooklyn is the only of mine that has the ebook.

I thought I got on that list fast, but not so. Maybe they'll buy some more copies.
Excellent! I'm good with $6.99 for Kleypas. I know Ravenels Book #3 is Devil in Spring, but can't figure out what #1 and #2 are because I don't see a series listing. Marrying Winterborne? What else?

#4,801 ·
crebel said:
Excellent! I'm good with $6.99 for Kleypas. I know Ravenels Book #3 is Devil in Spring, but can't figure out what #1 and #2 are because I don't see a series listing. Marrying Winterborne? What else?
1. Cold Hearted Rake
2 Marrying Winterborne
3. Devil in Spring
4. Hello Stranger

Devil in Spring by the way, for those that haven't read previously series by Kleypas, is the son of the couple from Devil in Winter, Sebastian. One of my favorite books. I had no idea how could redeem that hero in his own book, based on his action from the previous. But buy did she ever. It was nice to see them again in "Devil".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.