Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 341648 times)  

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #5025 on: February 28, 2018, 05:42:35 AM »
Kelly Bowen's new book is 5+ stars for me. A brilliant start to a new series. I've enjoyed all of her stories but this one may be my all time favorite.

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of you think.

Finished this one last night. I enjoyed it very much. I haven't been reading many books very fast lately, but this one did get me back into more of a groove. While the characters hooked me, the time period it was set in just didn't become as much of the story line as in some.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: February 28, 2018, 07:31:48 AM »
After I attempted to look for it a bit, and didn't find it, I ended up falling down a rabbit hole looking for the release date of Courtney Milan's After The Wedding. Didn't find that either.

OK, removing myself from this dang computer to hopefully accomplish something around the house. *gives Kindle the evil eye* <- it keeps staring at me!
:D

Courtney's book was originally supposed to be released in February, but according to something she wrote on her website/blog she is still writing it. Maybe it will be out sometime this year, if we are lucky!

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #5027 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »
The latest Kleypas is out today. The 4th in the Ravenels

This one is about the woman doctor, looking forward to it. Sometimes by xmas. I am like 74 out of 132 on the wait list with 2 copies.  :o :o :o :o :o
It'll be a while. The audio is available at another library, but Brooklyn is the only of mine that has the ebook.

I thought I got on that list fast, but not so. Maybe they'll buy some more copies.

I just started reading it.  :) 

Luckily my library has 21 copies and I've been on the wait list since the end of last year. This library adds titles extremely early, so often time I get on the list early.... especially if I request the title ahead of time. The only drawback is that my hold list is tied up with pre-releases that are months & months away from publication, so I have to be selective as to what i put on hold.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2018 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: March 01, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »
Well I am reading the new Kleypas also. I have these free ebook codes to use on harlequin.com via their reward thingie. Harper Collins owning Harlequin now I can get the Avon titles. Its a wee bit of a fiddle to get it on the kindle, but by golly I did and I have my fold font also. I don't have the cover showing on the kindle though. It is in the book though so oh well. At least I don't have to wait until the end of the year.  :P

I just started so I don't have an opinion yet.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: March 04, 2018, 07:22:43 AM »
I just finished Lady Isabella's Ogre by Emily Larkin. I think I won it in a Goodreads giveaway? Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The heroine is a 29 YO daughter of a duke who is independently wealthy and the hero is an Army major with a scarred face, so it's a Beauty/Beast story. I've been reading Emily Larkin's historical PNR Baleful Godmother series and really love those, so I'm not surprised that I enjoyed this. Her characters are always mature and genuinely likable so easy to spend time with.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:05 PM »
I could have sworn I owned a "Larkin". So after a search on my kindle, I see one called "Unmasking Miss Applebee" I assume its applebee as I don't have wifi on right now and all that fits on the cover from search is Appleb.... ;D

Is that one of the paranormal historicals?

I am about to get back to "Hello Stranger" the Kleypas. I had started it, but for some reason couldn't get into it. I figured out its because I had read the beginning of I love the Earl, which is the first in Caroline Linden's series. Note to self, don't read sample of books when preparing to read another. I just can't do it. I need to finish the started one first. Its the reason I never read samples to figure out what to read, ever. Either I read the whole book, or I don't.

So now I am starting the Kleypas again. I am very interested in the heroine though, hero too. But the heroine has intruiged me in previous books. Doctor in those days. So I like that theme.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: March 06, 2018, 06:04:58 AM »
I could have sworn I owned a "Larkin". So after a search on my kindle, I see one called "Unmasking Miss Applebee" I assume its applebee as I don't have wifi on right now and all that fits on the cover from search is Appleb.... ;D

Is that one of the paranormal historicals?

Yes thats the start of her paranormal historical series. Unmasking Miss Appleby is perma-free, which is probably why you already have it. :D its a twist on the theme of gently bred young woman dresses up as a boy and goes on adventures. On her 25th birthday, the heroine gets the ability to shift into any form she wants. She chooses to shift into the form of a young man so that she can escape her dreary family and get a job as a secretary to a nobleman. (This all happens at the beginning of the book so it isnt a spoiler.)

I loved it. Other than These Old Shades ((one of my favorite romances ever!) I always have trouble with the crossdressing historicals but in this one, she really is a young man in appearance so I didnt get hung up on trying to picture what she looked like. Ive since read the third book and loved it also so I can definitely recommend the series.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #5032 on: March 06, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
So now I am starting the Kleypas again. I am very interested in the heroine though, hero too. But the heroine has intruiged me in previous books. Doctor in those days. So I like that theme.

What time period is the Kleypas? You may remember (or not, maybe you haven't gotten to the most recent ones where it comes up), Paul Gibson's lover is an Italian-trained doctor who can only practice as a midwife in Britain because it's illegal for women to practice medicine.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: March 06, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
What time period is the Kleypas? You may remember (or not, maybe you haven't gotten to the most recent ones where it comes up), Paul Gibson's lover is an Italian-trained doctor who can only practice as a midwife in Britain because it's illegal for women to practice medicine.

1876, so definitely Victorian.  I already deleted it from my Kindle, but I believe the end notes indicate Dr. Garrett is based on the actual first female allowed to practice medicine in England.  She was trained at the Sorbonne and then returned.  According to the book, laws were passed after she returned to prevent other women from being able to do the same.

I really enjoyed this story, gave it 4 stars.  I also just love West Ravenel and presume the next book will be his story.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: March 06, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
I am drawing a blank right now. I think he might have just met her in the last one I read. Or someone? I try to read those slowly, with large chunks of time in between so I don't run out. I usually get right back in when I start. Its about time for another one I think,  ;D

1876, so definitely Victorian.  I already deleted it from my Kindle, but I believe the end notes indicate Dr. Garrett is based on the actual first female allowed to practice medicine in England.  She was trained at the Sorbonne and then returned.  According to the book, laws were passed after she returned to prevent other women from being able to do the same.

I really enjoyed this story, gave it 4 stars.  I also just love West Ravenel and presume the next book will be his story.
I would think West will get a story, she did spend time to turn him around after all after the first. Otherwise, what was the point.  8)

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #5035 on: March 07, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
I just finished Lady Isabella's Ogre by Emily Larkin.

Thanks so much for this recommend. I really enjoyed it. Sadly she doesn't seem to have much else for me. I don't read woo woo stuff. Her non-paranormal novels sounded like reincarnations of the same theme as Ogre, and the one I tried was.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: March 07, 2018, 07:57:35 PM »
Ok, I wanna know. I have to know, what is woo woo stuff in books.  8) Is that sappy? Or paranormal?

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: March 07, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
Ok, I wanna know. I have to know, what is woo woo stuff in books.  8) Is that sappy? Or paranormal?
True! which genre - hope it's paranormal  :D
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #5038 on: March 08, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
Woo woo is paranormal - at least when I'm using the term. :) Sappy is sappy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: March 08, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
Woo woo is paranormal - at least when I'm using the term. :) Sappy is sappy.
;D
I got the sample of the non woo woo by Larkin on my kindle, it sounds interesting. I really have to be in the mood for HPR. Woo woo historicals as its now know.  :P But I have read some really nice ones. Course I already own one of those by the author, so maybe I should just move it on up.

I am stuck with reading right now. I mean stuck as in I can't seem to go forward. Distracted, scatterbrained, I have no idea what it is. I have a hard time sitting down and reading for a longer session. That happens sometimes with me. I usually snap out of it eventually, but I hate it.  :(

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #5040 on: March 18, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »

1.99 (Reg 7.99)

Its HR but it is also PNR (or woowoo if you prefer ;)) For me it is a blend of her Amanda Quick (HR) writings with some Jayne Castle (PNR). I have read it before and remember liking it so I purchased. First in the series.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: March 21, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »
My Lady Thief, another book by Emily Larkin - this one non woo-woo  :D , is currently on sale for $0.99. I downloaded the sample and quite liked it.

The Truth About Cads and Dukes by Elisa Braden is also currently on sale for $0.99.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »
I just love the term woowoo  ;D

I'll have to check the Larkin. I can recommend the Braden, she was one of my new HR discoveries. Very enjoyable stories and characters. Turned into an auto buy for me.

eta: I am a total idiot. I already read My lady thief, it was a gift book and I highly enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars. Oh brain where are thou. I read it June 2016, not that long ago. Sigh. Since she used to go by Emily May as pen name, maybe she was still that when I read it and that is why I don't remember? Who knows. I think I killed my brain by drinking too much caffeine the last 2 days. I got a Mr Coffee Espresso Barista machine that makes cappuccinos and lattes and espresso and of course I had to test it very well. I love that thing. Now that I disovered low carb milk at my local store I can have cappucinos again. And that machine does it by itself, no using a wand I can't operate. Just a button and the cap is in the mug.  ;D
Had to use up some of my credit card points.  :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:18:40 AM by Atunah »

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: April 07, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
Thought I would throw in a post so this thread doesn't become buried! Hope you are all quiet because you've been reading like crazy. I have been in a bit of a slump, not even really enjoying some of the new releases by favorite authors (Sabrina Jeffries new one, for example--I just didn't like the hero and heroine enough to want to finish the book). Then I ran into a newish totally unknown to me author--Lara Temple--that Caz on AAR gave an A rating to. I just finished this one and totally enjoyed it! Not a very complicated plot but wonderful dialog and a lovely romance....a great book for when you don't want a lot of angst, you just want to lose yourself in a good story. I liked it so much that I put two more of her titles on my TBR List.

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
I finished Third Son's a Charm by Shana Galen yesterday. I liked it. Hero is made heroine's bodyguard so she doesn't run away with his cousin. Moving onto a contemporary, One and Only by Jenny Holiday. Heroine is a "babysitter" for getting married friend's fiance's bad boy brother (got that). I'm sensing a theme here. :D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: April 07, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
Wisteria, I just read 2 of Lara Temple's titles recently. Lord Hunter's Cinderella Heiress and Lord ravenscar's betrothal. They are #1 and #2 in a series. A 3rd is coming up. I liked them quite a bit. The first maybe a bit more than the 2nd, but they are very nice and readable. For lack of a better word. Looks like all her books are like that. Like you said, if you don't want a lot of angst, just great readable entertaining and not boring stuff. I never can find the right words. I'll be reading more by her. I haven't read that particular one yet.

I  need to get on to reading some Shana Galen again. I read one or two and I own quite a few already. I think there were a lot of sales back in 2011 -2013 of books and hers were included. I have yet to get to most of them.

Its funny how sometimes there are themes from books to book I don't even notice are similar until long after I read them. I go through my "read" shelf from time to time and then I notice it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: April 07, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
New author, debut HR I picked up the other day ($3.99) and enjoyed very much.  Good mystery along with the romance.  3.5 stars and would round up to 4 rather than down to 3.  Always nice to find a new author with promise.

Buns cover doesn't hurt either!  ;D
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: April 07, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Buns, we haz buns

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: April 08, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
New author, debut HR I picked up the other day ($3.99) and enjoyed very much.  Good mystery along with the romance.  3.5 stars and would round up to 4 rather than down to 3.  Always nice to find a new author with promise.

Buns cover doesn't hurt either!  ;D

Oooh! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
Wisteria, I just read 2 of Lara Temple's titles recently. Lord Hunter's Cinderella Heiress and Lord ravenscar's betrothal. They are #1 and #2 in a series. A 3rd is coming up. I liked them quite a bit. The first maybe a bit more than the 2nd, but they are very nice and readable. For lack of a better word. Looks like all her books are like that. Like you said, if you don't want a lot of angst, just great readable entertaining and not boring stuff. I never can find the right words. I'll be reading more by her. I haven't read that particular one yet.

I  need to get on to reading some Shana Galen again. I read one or two and I own quite a few already. I think there were a lot of sales back in 2011 -2013 of books and hers were included. I have yet to get to most of them.

Its funny how sometimes there are themes from books to book I don't even notice are similar until long after I read them. I go through my "read" shelf from time to time and then I notice it.

I'm reading Lord Hunter's Cinderella Heiress right now (in spite of its title)...thanks for the recommendation Atunah!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac