Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: A picture is worth 10,000 words.....  (Read 198688 times)  

Offline kim

• Minnesota, USA
  • Member #701
    • View Profile
Re: A picture is worth 10,000 words.....
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
The kayak picture kind of makes me chuckle.  It looks like they are all going after the poor guy in the middle.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:48 PM »
The kayak picture kind of makes me chuckle.  It looks like they are all going after the poor guy in the middle.

All except for the straggler on the left.  LOL

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

You could be right, here is another picture taken of them after they knocked him in the water...Hahaha
-sailor

That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

Offline Forster

• Montana
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »
Monterey Bay is a beautiful area.  I took these pictures on the drive around the coast while there several years ago.

The pictures have been kindlized, the originals are at home on my computer and I haven't uploaded them to my photobucket yet.

"Authors get the most publicity at launch and need to strike while the iron is hot. If readers can't get their preferred format at that moment, they may buy a different book or just not buy a book at all." - An Amazon spokesman.

It doesnt matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people dont read anymore. 40% percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people dont read anymore. - S. Jobs

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2009, 12:51:31 PM »
Monterey Bay is a beautiful area.  I took these pictures on the drive around the coast while there several years ago.

Forster,

I love the area and get to it almost every weekend when I can.  I know that exact area you are showing in your pictures.  You take some really nice photos.

I still haven't learned to put new screensavers on Kindle-1 yet, I am afraid I might crash it like I do my computer.  ;D

-sailor
That which does not destroy me-has made a fatal tactical error!   You keep campaigning for a azz whoopin', you gonna get elected.  
It is not enough that I succeed. All who oppose me must fail.         You're never too old if you can still cock your pistol.

Offline RangerXenos

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »
Live in SW Montana.  Lots of mountains where I live.  Eastern Montana has a lot of wide open empty areas as well but I do enjoy them also.

We made into a little section of Montana during our trip.  I love the mountains, but the wide open spaces were a little disconcerting to me, I need to see at least some hills!

So many books, so little time...

Offline Forster

• Montana
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
sailor

If I had the money (I never will  :'( )and I could get used to living around a lot of people (questionable), the Santa Barbara-Carmel-Monterey area is where I would choose to have a second home.  Wonderful weather, beautiful coastlines.....
"Authors get the most publicity at launch and need to strike while the iron is hot. If readers can't get their preferred format at that moment, they may buy a different book or just not buy a book at all." - An Amazon spokesman.

It doesnt matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people dont read anymore. 40% percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people dont read anymore. - S. Jobs

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
Re: A picture is worth 10,000 words...Seals in Monterey Bay, CA
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
Seals in Monterey Bay, CA

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
sailor

If I had the money (I never will  :'( )and I could get used to living around a lot of people (questionable), the Santa Barbara-Carmel-Monterey area is where I would choose to have a second home.  Wonderful weather, beautiful coastlines.....

Forster,

I live 1 1/2 hours drive from Monterey so I can be around the crowds if I want the coast, or stay home in my tiny town with nothing to do.  With the housing costs dropping, you may be able to afford a coastal home yet!  I do have a few choice homes to buy that I have looked at in Monterey/Carmel area if I were to win the lottery, but then I would probably move out of this state to one with less crazy laws.

-sailor

Offline kim

• Minnesota, USA
  • Member #701
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
The seals...  How do they get up on the railing?  Is there something on the far side of the picture that I don't see. 

Offline Sailor

• California
  • Babe of the Voyage
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »
The seals...  How do they get up on the railing?  Is there something on the far side of the picture that I don't see. 

I have no idea how those little stinkers got up there; they do climb rocks  but I can't imagine how they got up on the rail.  That was how I found them, nothing around to even look like they had any help getting up.  They are fascinating in their ability to climb rocks so it could be they are able to climb a short fence as well.  Amazing they can balance on that small rail too!

-sailor

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
    • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2009, 02:52:49 PM »
Wow, great thread, and stupendous pictures! Here's an assortment of my favs.

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
Very nice, everyone. Al, where was your sagebrush photo taken?

Offline jpmorgan49

• Joliet, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »
Excellent pictures everyone...
jp

Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/jpmorgan49/
Kindle Touch July 2012
I'm really one of a Kind...le!

Offline katbird1

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Oh my, there have been some wonderful photos since Sunday night!

Kathy

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
Very nice, everyone. Al, where was your sagebrush photo taken?

I don't think that's sagebrush, though I admit I don't have much experience with sagebrush. Down here it's called cenizo, from 'ceniza,' ash, because the leaves are grayish. It's a native plant, reported to bloom BEFORE a rain. Ours bloomed last week (though that picture was taken in '05), and Saturday we got a half inch of rain. But to answer your question, that's in the patio, or just outside it, in front of the house.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

Have you ever seen One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando? There's a scene near the end where the bad guys shoot Brando's Mexican partner and push his corpse into the surf. It looks like it may have been filmed in this same spot.

Offline Forster

• Montana
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
Have you ever seen One Eyed Jacks with Marlon Brando? There's a scene near the end where the bad guys shoot Brando's Mexican partner and push his corpse into the surf. It looks like it may have been filmed in this same spot.

No I haven't seen that movie, but now I'm going to have to, lol.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
I don't think that's sagebrush, though I admit I don't have much experience with sagebrush. Down here it's called cenizo, from 'ceniza,' ash, because the leaves are grayish.

But to answer your question, that's in the patio, or just outside it, in front of the house.

Crush a leaf between your fingers, sniff it and if it doesn't smell like sage I'm wrong.

Great picture anyway. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline Forster

• Montana
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
I don't think that's sagebrush, though I admit I don't have much experience with sagebrush. Down here it's called cenizo, from 'ceniza,' ash, because the leaves are grayish. It's a native plant, reported to bloom BEFORE a rain. Ours bloomed last week (though that picture was taken in '05), and Saturday we got a half inch of rain. But to answer your question, that's in the patio, or just outside it, in front of the house.

Here's some sagebrush, right in front of an old beaverslide. 

Hmm, I'm not sure if that came out appropriately or not, lol.  Anyway here's the picture.

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2009, 06:13:53 PM »
Crush a leaf between your fingers, sniff it and if it doesn't smell like sage I'm wrong.

Great picture anyway. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Did it. It smells leafy, but not sagey, not spicy. And la wife says it's not related.

Hang on. Here's what it smells like: *smell*.

Gotcha!

Offline Tippy

• South Dakota
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
What great photos -- thanks for sharing them.  You bring joy through your photos.

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
  • Rubber Room #960
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
Here's a closer shot. That looks like a finger in the background, but it's not. The bee is small, the size of the metal ferrule on a pencil.

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
  • Member 95
    • View Profile
    • J. Hepple, Inc.
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »

Purple Sage, Cenizo

Scrophulariaceae Leucophyllum frutescens

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/cenizo.html

Offline katbird1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Brassman, the detail and clarity of your bee shot is enviable.

Kathy