Author Topic: Suggestions for pricing novella?  (Read 1829 times)  

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
Suggestions for pricing novella?
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
How do you guys pick prices for your books?

I've got one novel out, and I priced that one at $2.99 because that's what everyone seemed to recommend. I'm coming out with a novella (novelette?) in about a month here and I'm vacillating on the price. Since it's only around 20k words, I don't think it's worth $2.99, but if I price it at $.99, then what do I do for sales or future short stories? How do you all price your novellas?

Offline keithdbz

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for pricing novella?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
I have two fantasy novellas available through the Kindle A Storm to Remember 12k words priced at .99 and Behind The Stained Glass 22k words priced at 2.99

I have sold equal amounts of both books so price really isn't a factor. If you're looking to differentiate between novels/novellas/short stories than why not try .99 for shorts, 1.99 for novellas, and keep your novel at the 2.99 mark. Just remember that whatever you decide, you can always change it depending on whether or not the sales come in.

And congrats on the upcoming release. Here's to many sales.

Cheers!

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
I'm pricing my novelettes at $0.99. For a novella I'd probably do $2.99 and for a novel a dollar or two more. Everyone will probably have a different answer for you though.  :P

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
How do you guys pick prices for your books?

I've got one novel out, and I priced that one at $2.99 because that's what everyone seemed to recommend. I'm coming out with a novella (novelette?) in about a month here and I'm vacillating on the price. Since it's only around 20k words, I don't think it's worth $2.99, but if I price it at $.99, then what do I do for sales or future short stories? How do you all price your novellas?

I know it sounds odd, but I'm not sure the market "gets" the $1.99 price point.

I price my full-length novels (50K and above) at $2.99 (Most Likely is 63K)

I have short novels (20K-30K in length) in the works and I'll be releasing those at $0.99, because the market so embraces that price point.

I have no plans for releasing regular short stories. But I do have one posted to my author blog for free. :)

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:47:49 PM by CraigInTwinCities »
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Sandra Edwards

• Lake Tahoe, NV
    • View Profile
    • Sandra Edwards, Author
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
I personally don't think there's a standard for pricing. I think each book (individually) has it's own price point. The good news is, since we're in charge, we're free to experiment to find out what that is :)

Sandy

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
Do you think people would feel like it's a big cop-out if I priced the novella at $2.99 and dropped it later?

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Do you think people would feel like it's a big cop-out if I priced the novella at $2.99 and dropped it later?

No reason not to give it a try. :)
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Sandra Edwards

• Lake Tahoe, NV
    • View Profile
    • Sandra Edwards, Author
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »

When the price drops, I think people look at it like it's on sale.

Offline telracs

• NYC
  • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
whatever you price it at, please make sure you make it clear that it is a short work.  And as a reader, the "novella", "novellette", etc words mean nothing to me.  If you know it, please put a page count, or at the very least, a word count.  That way your buyers will know what they are getting and can make their own cost/length analysis.

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Good idea, Scarlet. I think being clear about the length is probably the safest way to spare readers from disappointment.

Offline lacycamey

• View Profile
    • lacycamey.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Hi! I'm releasing my novella at the end of June. It's right around 30,000 words and I will price it at $2.99 :).

Offline Ryne Billings

• Oklahoma
  • Author of Epic Fantasy and Sword & Sorcery
    • View Profile
    • The Sword of Kirakath
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
'
I think it would not even come as a surprise. It's common for books to drop in price after a little while.

Offline The Fussy Librarian

• Des Moines, Iowa
    • View Profile
    • The Fussy Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »
The great thing about this is you can change the price whenever you want. If you start at $2.99 and things are slow, you can drop it to 99 cents. I'm personally not sold on $1.99 because it's still the lower royalty rate but you give up the appeal that 99 cents seems to have to so many readers.

I'm publishing a 30,000 word novella in August at 99 cents and plan to follow it up with a full-length novel featuring the same characters at $2.99 ...
Delivering ebook happiness daily.

Offline Amanda Brice

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Amanda Brice
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
The beauty of this is that you can price it however you like. But be sure to specify the length, and as scarlet stated, terms like "novella" and "novelette" mean nothing to the average reader, so state the approximate page count. (Word count also means nothing to the average reader.)

I have a short YA novel (just under 50K) priced at $2.99, although I'm waiting for Amazon to price match it to $1.99 for a limited-time sale. (I really want the slash through the price to show it's on sale.)

For a short story or novelette, I would price at 99 cents, but I personally don't intend to have any of those. Well, no plans at the moment at least.

For a novella (20Kish-40K) I would use $1.99.

For 70K and over, I'd do $3.99.

But that's just me.

Dance with danger - fall in love!
Amanda Brice | author website | facebook | youtube