Kindle Forum banner

Prayer Requests

281K views 3K replies 120 participants last post by  mlewis78 
#1 ·
Fellow OYB Readers,

Linda & I thought it would be a good idea to set up a separate section for prayer requests. I really like this idea because when prayer requests are made in the monthly sections, they seem to get lost in the shuffle. Now we will have them all in one place! :)

If you have any suggestions for this Klub, feel free to chip in. It's everyone's book klub!

Love,

Suzi

#3,077 ·
Thanks all. Managing. No job yet. Roof leaking. Important medical device broke/can't afford to replace. Trying for repair if possible. Other stuff: but it is what it is. I'll keep the faith.
Harvey:  thanks for the update and the encouragement. Hugs.
ALL:  I value you and keep you in my heart and my prayers.

Kathy:  of course he wants her to settle out of court!! My advice:  I would fight it to the finish. She will get a whole lot more and he knows it. My X gave my kids the moon n then some. So big deal:  They know who has the money. BUT in time (trust me) that will get old. They will realize they are being bought off and it won't sit well w them. When they don't feel well, or they want help, moral support, they will want Mom. Hubby can NOT force her out of the house. Use the lawyer; hubby WANTS her to back down. THE KIDS will be OK. They already have been taught values; you'll soon see how smart they are and how well they will adapt. I didn't bad mouth my rat:  they found out in good time for themselves. Like you said:  They are good students.

#3,078 ·
Thanks SJC. You're right my kids hardly have anything to do with their dad. He didn't do much for them but at least he never tried to buy them. My daughter is going to fight him but I'm the one paying for it. Hopefully they will make him pay attorney fees and I'll get some of my money back. Not counting on it though. We'll know more Thursday. That's when the meet at court.

Hope you are getting better. Prayers to everyone.

#3,079 ·
Harvey, how wonderful to hear from you! You, your family, and your medical support team all remain in my prayers. I'll be looking forward to the day when you've completed both of your surgeries. I hope and pray that you are getting stronger every day.

Kathy, hang in there. I pray that things work out for the best for your daughter and her children, and I pray that you will be able to remain strong as you have the extremely important job of being their main support. It's tough to be in that capacity, but you will make it. Hang in there.

Sjc, I continue to pray that you will land a job that is a good fit for you. The last one certainly sounded like an emotional drain.

Geoff, you are a gem. I pray that your new job is all that you hoped it would be. Thank you for your never ending support that you give to all of us who need it. You are always in my prayers.

Ruby, you and your dad are in my prayers. You have been going through a lot, and I hope you can take a good measure of comfort in the knowledge that we, your OYB friends, are praying for you.

To any of you whose names and situations I have omitted, know that you are still in my prayers.

I'd like a ask for prayers for a situation I'm facing. I finally got up the nerve to see an orthopedist last week because I have pain in my knees, and have enough weakness that I have to go up and down stairs one foot at a time, like someone who's 100. ;)  When the dr. came into the room with my x-rays, he said we'd take a look at my really bad knees. I have very little if any cartilage left in either one, which explains that pain that I've lived with. (Luckily, I have a very high pain threshold.)  

As some of you know, I am one of those perennial people who are in the process of losing weight. My weight loss is very slow, and I've lost about 25 lbs. over the past couple of years. My biggest challenge is exercise that doesn't hurt my knees a lot (I have no access to a swimming pool). The doctor said that he refuses to perform knee surgery on anyone with a BMI above either 30 or 33 (I was pretty overwhelmed by that point, so I'm not sure). Mine is higher than that, but the Lord knows that I have been striving to have it below that range for a long time. Anyway, I've had cortisone shots in both knees now (never had both done at the same time before). Synovisc injections are the other possibility if the cortisone shots don't do the trick. (They won't add cartilage, so I'm sure I'll still have a problem.)  The doctor told me to work on my core and upper body strength, as a way to lose weight. I've been pretty discouraged since seeing him, but I don't want to have surgery that's riskier than necessary. 

#3,080 ·
Sjc, thank you. I'm praying things turn around for you. I've had another little blip on my screen recently. Discovered I have a cyst on my left ovary so my gyn is recommending a hysterectomy & oophorectomy. I'm scheduled for this surgery on June 10. This will change my hormone therapy from Tamoxifen to Anastrozole. My sister is coming to help me out as my mom will be busy making sure my dad is ok at home. He got discharged to rehab on Monday & so far hasn't been very happy w/the place. It's been hard going from 1:1 care to crummy rehab setting. Its not that its unclean, unsafe etc., it's just meh. But he'll persevere & do what he needs to do in order to get out!

Geoff, you are a force here & I thank God for you.

Harvey, good to hear from you. Continued prayers for you & your family.

Kathy, Sjc gives wonderful advice. She's spot on when it comes to divorce. Sadly, your daughter's ex sounds too familiar. Don't let your daughter give up the fight. He's trying to take advantage of her & it's just so wrong. But he is only out to be vengeful & hurtful. I wasted thousands on crappy lawyers, who came highly recommended. But I now have an awesome attorney who's fighting hard for my daughters & me. Your grandchildren will realize soon if they haven't already who their dad is. It's not about stuff. It's about love & respect & listening to feelings when things are tough. My girls have shown such strength through all of this & I'm so proud of them.

Cindy, thank you for your prayers. I'm praying for you too as you cope with the pain in your knees & try to figure out the best & safest way to manage it. Surgery always comes with some risks. Keep up the good work w/your weight loss & try not to get discouraged. We are all here rooting for you :)

Prayers to all....

#3,081 ·
Hello everyone. I do just want to let you know that you are all in my daily prayers. I am still job hunting but not full force b/c of so many other things I am dealing with. (house, ill parents, etc.) Ruby:  Thank you for that lovely compliment. On that note:  please everyone; update us; as we really do care. Just a line or two to let us know how you and your loved ones are.

Please stay strong, positive and keep the faith. Whether it be:  health, family, divorce, work, other:  God hears all prayers. 

I continue to be kind. It's cost me dearly...but I refuse to let anyone or anything change that; including family. They often confuse kindness w naivety; but that's what happens with those who think of only themselves.  Pray for my narrow minded family.  They never stop w the negativity and mistrust; even amongst themselves.  Money can be so destructive. If only they could see that. The journey towards selflessness is tiring; however, one day it will prove to be fruitful. Then those who never give of themselves and who judge; will seek remorse. Patience is a virtue. 
God Bless.

#3,082 ·
Hi everyone I just want you to know I still keep you in my thoughts and my prayers daily.

I miss everyone on this thread and I noticed that we are not posting as often as we used to.  I'm sure that doesn't mean we are all well and couldn't use a prayer or two. God bless everyone.

Ruby296:  Bless you. You are strong and courageous.

Love to all. Hope you are all OK.  sjc

#3,083 ·
sjc said:
Hi everyone I just want you to know I still keep you in my thoughts and my prayers daily.

I miss everyone on this thread and I noticed that we are not posting as often as we used to. I'm sure that doesn't mean we are all well and couldn't use a prayer or two. God bless everyone.

Ruby296: Bless you. You are strong and courageous.

Love to all. Hope you are all OK. sjc
Good to hear from you, sjc. I still keep everyone here in my thoughts and prayers, as well. We must be a pretty busy group since its been almost 3 weeks since anyone has posted here. Take care!

#3,084 ·
sjc, Cindy & everyone, I'm thinking of all of you here & hope everyone is hanging in ok. I know I don't visit this thread often enough; will make a point to do so more often. Sjc, hope your job hunt is a little more fruitful. I have to get going on that soon too. I'd like to have something in place soon after the kids go back to school in September. I can't do anything really until then as they're too young to leave home alone for more than a short trip to the store. My dad has been home from his second stint in the hospital now for a week. He's making slow progress everyday & we are grateful. Sjc, continue to be the kind, caring wonderful person that you are. God knows all. Blessings, everyone.

#3,085 ·
I need a lot of prayers right now. My husband has been very sick and is recovering but needs all the prayers he can get. I know in the past I have talked about his drinking problem. While I was out of town he became very sick and because of that he went into withdrawals from alcohol. By the time our neighbor found him he was in DTs and very sick. Now this sounds bad, but may have the best thing to ever happen to him. He has finally realized that he needs help and is now working on getting his health back. This is a very hard problem to overcome but he is doing well and I'm pleased with his progress.

My other issue is with my daughter. She has been going through a very ugly divorce for 2 years now. She just can't seem to get on the right track. I love her very much and have been helping her financially for the last year. She is draining me and just can't get past her bitterness. She has filled her life with losers and just won't move forward. This is effecting her boys terribly. They are 17 and 14 and have always been great kids. They still are, but now I'm faced with admitting they need to be with their dad at this point. It is so hard to know that I'm having to go against my daughter, but I have to make the right choices for the boys. I just don't feel like their best interest is not my daughter's priority right now. She is just wanting to make her ex miserable and using the boys to do it. On top of that she has moved to people into her home as roommates. They don't work and are on some kind of disability. So now there are 3 adults in the house smoking and not working. I need your prayers to help me make the right decisions and make sure that the boys are safe.

I think of everyone often. You are all in my prayers.

#3,086 ·
Kathy, oh my gosh, you have so much on your plate right now. I'm sorry you're facing all of this. Please know I am sending out prayers & good wishes for things to start turning around for you & your family. I haven't been here long enough so I wasn't aware about your dh's drinking problem. I divorced my ex due to his alcoholism & continued refusal to seek help. I applaud your dh for getting the help he needs. This will in turn help you. I can also relate to your daughter's situation. Is she in any therapy? I harbored extreme anger toward my ex but w/the help of a great therapist I realized that all of that was just poisoning me, & I couldn't do that to myself. I've let go of a lot of anger, bitterness etc & while it's very hard, it's liberating. I don't know the particulars of their divorce but it's never a good idea to put the kids in the middle. Do they see their dad for visits? Does your daughter have an attorney you can talk to? (w/signed consent) It does sound like your daughter is "stuck" & that she's not able to look at the big picture right now. I hope that in time she will see that her choices are not helpful to anyone right now, especially her sons. I wish I had more to offer you. You can feel free to pm me if you'd like. I am sending loads of prayer & hugs your way. Ruby

#3,087 ·
Kathy:  It is with love that I say this:  Do what you think is best for the boys. Your daughter has had time to adjust and it sounds as though she chooses to continue making poor choices. At first help is needed; and you were there...plenty.  Now it is two years later... Shame on her. Follow your instincts for the boys and DO NOT feel guilty. She is an adult and not taking responsibility. We advised you to help her and you have:  upon doing what is best for the kids is still helping whether she realizes it or not. GOD BLESS YOU. As for your hubby:  You are 100% right... He needed the school of hard knocks. My brother is sober 7 years last month. It took moving mountains:  but he finally realized for himself; after years of us begging, that he needed help. It took a stranger following him and banging on his door and telling him off to wake him up. It took her 30 seconds to do what we couldn't in 30 years!!
YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS (And my heart). sjc

GeoffThomas
Deb
Leslie
Harvey
Cindy
Ruby
Betsy
Jeff
Meredith
Atindra
Etc...    PRAYERS.  ALWAYS

#3,088 ·
Prayer request on behalf of author T.L. Haddix and her husband Glendon.

Glendon's dad went through colon cancer surgery earlier this week. They're waiting to hear final prognosis on what was removed. It appears to have been caught early on. Let's pray for no chemo necessary, as that is Glendon's wish for his dad.

#3,089 ·
CraigInTwinCities said:
Prayer request on behalf of author T.L. Haddix and her husband Glendon.

Glendon's dad went through colon cancer surgery earlier this week. They're waiting to hear final prognosis on what was removed. It appears to have been caught early on. Let's pray for no chemo necessary, as that is Glendon's wish for his dad.
Absolutely. Please tell them that we miss them.

#3,092 ·
HI ALL...

I haven't seen many updates:  Ruby, Cindy, Geoff, Kathy...to name a few. 
alicepattinson:  Thank you for your prayers.  That works both ways... If you need us... we are here!!

UPDATE:  Roof fixed/replaced.  THANK YOU DEAREST LORD:  Insurance did cover the cost.  I was able to prove that it was definitely the product of wind and storm damage.  THANK YOU GOD.  If it weren't covered; I don't know what I would have done.  SO VERY GRATEFUL.

Sad note:  ...and PRAYER REQUEST:
My daughter, 25, was experiencing pain in her stomach last week.  Tested for UTI, Bladder, Kidney infection...Ruled out.  Thought appendix: NOT...
It is an ovarian cyst.  Please pray for her.  (RUBY...I know you've been there...the Mom in me is freaking out) I am trying to keep a brave front.  She has to follow up with Gynecologist yet.  She is only 25, Dear God if she has to have a hysterectomy, it will destroy her hopes and dreams. (I know; I'm jumping the gun) Please... PRAY for my baby...my greatest gift. 

I feel like I am being punished and I will tell you why; as this is a Prayer thread:
I know someone who had an abortion and I have felt horrible about her choice and I prayed for that unborn child... I said, years later, that person is going to want a baby and I hope she doesn't get pregnant because she already had a gift and gave it up.  I should never have thought that; but I couldn't help what popped into my head...as I am moral when it comes to that type of stuff.  BUT I thought it after I found out that she made that choice a few times and it sickened me. More so, because she now acts all prim and goes to church and I feel she is a bit hypocritical... (maybe I need the prayers...but she is not a nice person and is purposely cruel to people...I do pray for her but at the same time...) Anyway...
SO, I sort of feel like because I wasn't humble and pure of thought... it's bouncing back at me.

Please pray for my daughter.  Thank you, THANK YOU.

Also, keep praying for my family issues and my sister; as you all know it's been a couple of years of the same old same old...
THANKS.

EVERYONE:
Please update us... or just drop in to say hello.  Remember, if your prayers have been answered... give THANKS...

All the best...  sjc

#3,093 ·
sjc - I join you in thanking God for your good fortune regarding your roof.
and I do pray for your daughter - I ask God to heal her completely and to provide the doctors with guidance.  I also ask that He provide you with the strength to help her through this.

We all sin by way of judging others - it is in our weak nature.
I do not believe that God punishes us through such afflictions.  I believe that we punish ourselves on his behalf (as you are already doing).  I pray that God grant you peace.

I humbly ask for prayer that God will continue to guide me in my employment and show me His Will.

#3,094 ·
Geoff:  Thank you. In the now infamous words of our beloved Pope Francis:  "Who am I to judge?" You keep me grounded.  Thank you kindly my friend.

I pray for your employment as well; frankly, I haven't stopped.  Something will come your way; as it will mine. As God provided me with my roof in these lean times; knowing that I too, am out of work. He has plans for you. I have faith that we will both find work. I only pray that it is soon. God Bless you.
All the best...

#3,095 ·
Sjc, good to hear from you. I'm so happy to hear that your roof was covered by insurance. You remain in my prayers, but I've included your daughter's healing, as well as strength for you as you deal with that situation. (My daughter had an ovarian cyst, had a relatively simple surgery, and was fine afterward. I pray that yours will be, too.) I agree with Geoff (as I usually do), and pray for peace of mind for you. I truly believe that you will find a job soon. Hang in there, and keep the faith. Keep us posted.

Geoff, you, too, remain in my prayers. I am sure that you will find the employment that you are seeking.

Prayers for all of you who are in need. This group is a blessing, and it's the one thread that I always check before any others here on the KB.

Have a blessed week.

Cindy

#3,096 ·
Cindy:  So good to hear from you.  Thanks for your kind words.  I hope all is well with you and yours; as you have had your share as well.  I hope that everything is on an upswing for you.  Xo

Kathy:  Thinking of you today.

#3,097 ·
sjc, so very glad to hear that your roof was covered by insurance. That's one less thing you need to worry about. I feel your pain on the job front. Along with you & Geoff I am searching for work too. It's hard when you send resume after resume & you don't even get a form rejection letter back...I send lots of prayers for your daughter. I know it's scary & she's so young. What is the dr recommending? The reasons I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy are that my BC is estrogen positive & I'm on an estrogen blocker for the next 7-10 yrs. I didn't need my ovaries producing more, (even tho I'm post menopausal they still produce a little) & I've no need for these organs at my age. Please know we are here for you & let us know how your daughter is. On other news I've been pretty stressed out. My house continues in the foreclosure process. My ex didn't bother to show up at the settlement conference, and then lied about getting the date wrong. He's still trying to buy out my equity for a paltry sum; I rejected his offer as I'd rather walk w/nothing vs him getting it. And he's thousands behind in child support & has the nerve to request an agreement (out of court) that "both parties can agree to", despite being ordered by 2 different judges to pay. Over my dead body....I know I'm bitter, I'm trying not to let this get to me. I do have some good news though. My petition to modify custody & visitation was successful. We actually came to an agreement out of court at the last minute as the ex was terrified of the police officer's (who found him passed out during his parenting time) testimony. He no longer has any overnight visits. He can only have alternating weekend day visits in a public location for 8 hrs per day. And the conditions tied to that include weekly individual therapy as well as family therapy. He's not engaged in either so he's not seeing my daughters. They're happy w/this arrangement & I no longer fear for their safety while in his care. My dad is holding his own for now but I don't think he'll ever resume his former quality of life. Sorry this is so long, and thanks for letting me share/vent. I ask you all for continued prayers for a job for me & more positive results in court regarding child support. Sending you all hugs & keeping everyone in my prayers. Ruby

#3,098 ·
Oh RUBY; so wonderful to hear from you.  You stick to your guns girl.  You deserve to get something out of the House that you tried to make a Home.  You surely have had your share.  As far as my daughter goes; she refuses to talk about it; so, I worry and stress every day... Until she decides to talk about it; I have to sit on my hands.

I continue to pray for you and the others as well.  God Bless!!

#3,099 ·
Good to hear from you, Ruby. You have certainly had more than your share of problems, and I continue to pray for you. Hang in there.

Sjc and Geoff, you are always on my prayer list. It's wonderful to hear from all of you. Even though it seems that problems never end, it help so much to know that we have friends here on this truly special board.

Cindy

#3,100 ·
I pray to the Lord for all of you (and yours).
I am a little bummed right now because I am again looking for work.  I had taken a job in April with a small firm to help them grow.  But the owner was fixated on a government RFP (Request For Proposal) that had a draft handed out and now that acquisition has been cancelled.  So he has let two of us go rather than try to be a "real" company.  We were recommended to each other be several mutual friends whom I will try not to give a hard time over this.
More importantly though is a personal prayer request.  My oldter sister, Ellie, who had both knees replaced over the past year, is having her thyroid removed today at noon.  They discovered some cancer there.  Now if it is just in the Thyroid removal may likely get it all and she will just be on some meds for the missing thyroid.  But if it is also in the neighboring lymph gland.....well it could be metastasized elsewhere.  She originally complained to the doc months ago and he said it was nothing.  Well now we know it isn't.  So prayers for her and her family please.  She lost her husband 10 years ago to lung cancer.  Life could have been kinder to her.  I pray for her and I try to encourage her, but at times like this it is hard.
Oh yeah .... I praise the Lord for my continued health and well-being.  The rehab center likes me around because I am now running 2 miles each day (in addition to the other exercises) and they like to point out to beginners that I had the triple bypass end of last October and lost 50 pounds and 5 inches on the waist and am now doing the running. I thank God every day.

He is our salvation and our hope.....and HE LOVES US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.