KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Tracking book sales - TrackerBox  (Read 21435 times)  

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Re: Tracking book sales - TrackerBox
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »
That shouldn't be anything specific to Windows 10. My own reports (small as they are) imported without issue.

This isn't about importing, Mark. I just opened Trackerbox, clicked reports and chose last month. The report was blank and Trackboox died (not responding) I can't check again, because it left the database open. I tried rebooting, and windows 10 decided "hey cool, he's shutting down. Let's update." That was over an hour ago. It's still going.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
This isn't about importing, Mark. I just opened Trackerbox, clicked reports and chose last month. The report was blank and Trackboox died (not responding) ...

My master database file is pretty large now (I just need it to stuff 4 more months in, then I'll start a new one!). Anytime I go to Reports, it takes forever to populate (and it has to populate everything on open before I can select dates). Then I'll choose, say, Custom, and it will hang and I'll get the Not Responding message, and Task Manager will confirm it's not responding, and I'll go off and do something else, and after 5 or 10 minutes it unfreezes and lets me choose the dates I want. This has been going on awhile now, and I've always attributed it to the size of my master file (over 100 authors, 150+ titles, and 3M+ units).

What's important is that it always unfreezes if I just let it alone for a few minutes and then it spits out the reports I need just fine. This is on Windows 8.1 (and, coincidentally, I'm doing June statements right now, and this is exactly what it did earlier today). Have you tried just letting it sit for about 10 minutes after it hangs, Mark C?

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
My master database file is pretty large now (I just need it to stuff 4 more months in, then I'll start a new one!). Anytime I go to Reports, it takes forever to populate (and it has to populate everything on open before I can select dates). Then I'll choose, say, Custom, and it will hang and I'll get the Not Responding message, and Task Manager will confirm it's not responding, and I'll go off and do something else, and after 5 or 10 minutes it unfreezes and lets me choose the dates I want. This has been going on awhile now, and I've always attributed it to the size of my master file (over 100 authors, 150+ titles, and 3M+ units).

What's important is that it always unfreezes if I just let it alone for a few minutes and then it spits out the reports I need just fine. This is on Windows 8.1 (and, coincidentally, I'm doing June statements right now, and this is exactly what it did earlier today). Have you tried just letting it sit for about 10 minutes after it hangs, Mark C?

I just opened it on my windows 8.1 laptop no slowdown, no hangs. It had 5 years data, but I only have 14 books not 100s :)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
I just opened it on my windows 8.1 laptop no slowdown, no hangs. It had 5 years data, but I only have 14 books not 100s :)

Note to self: Migrate to Windows 10 in 2017. Maybe. (Windows 8 was a step back, imo, for the reason I need my laptop. If Windows 10 is even a fraction more finicky it's a non-starter for me...)

Poor Mark F. Windows 10 compatibility AND KU2 changes to have to test over the next 2-3 weeks. :(

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
Note to self: Migrate to Windows 10 in 2017. Maybe. (Windows 8 was a step back, imo, for the reason I need my laptop. If Windows 10 is even a fraction more finicky it's a non-starter for me...)

Poor Mark F. Windows 10 compatibility AND KU2 changes to have to test over the next 2-3 weeks. :(

Trackerbox is the only thing (so far) that has glitches, but that isn't serious. When my comp finally stops updating it might be fixed, or I'll tick the windows 7 compatibility box. What is annoying me is that I didn't set update on a schedule. I never thought of it. Now I have to wait, and it's over 2 hours now. I've never seen a windows update take so long. The win 10 install only took 30mins!

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
@Mark - when it comes back, get a hold of me with the support email and I'll try to figure out what's going on (I have a new build that might help some, but I'm waiting to add the support for KU and a couple other things before releasing it).

@Phoenix - That's a much bigger DB than I've had to work with. Can you send me the details at the support email address? I'd like to solve that problem for you, if I can.

The support email is supportATstoryboxsoftware.com.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
The message I'm getting here is not to click on that little Windows icon in my taskbar. I'll stick with Windows 7 for now.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2015, 02:46:51 AM »
Okay. I rolled back this morning to Windows 7. It took less than a minute, and all is well. The reason is that Win 10 kept resetting my network card and dropping internet. I love Windows 10, but I can't have that. I'll try again in a month or two. Trackerbox worked okay using administrator and compatibility settings.

Offline DRMarvello

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
    • The Vaetra Files
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
@Mark: When I fire up TrackerBox, the home page graphs default to "This Year." For some people, that might be a lot of data toward the end of the year. Perhaps a different default like "This Month" or "Last Month" would be better? Or perhaps you could add an option that lets users turn off the home page graphs entirely upon startup.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
@Mark: When I fire up TrackerBox, the home page graphs default to "This Year." For some people, that might be a lot of data toward the end of the year. Perhaps a different default like "This Month" or "Last Month" would be better? Or perhaps you could add an option that lets users turn off the home page graphs entirely upon startup.

That's actually the one I'm least worried about, as it doesn't have to fill a grid with numbers. All it does is count, more or less. Of course, that's speculation as I don't have a large database to test with.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
I just want to update my lag issue. Yesterday, Mark F sent me a beta install to test after I sent him my database file to play with. I installed today and took it on a test drive. Now, my laptop is a slow workhorse, but what was taking it 15 minutes before to populate the Report screen took less than 1.5 minutes after the new install.

MANY THANKS to Mark F for his responsiveness and for returning a fix that I'm betting will be implemented in his next version release. Customer service and all-round good guyness at their finest :)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
That's actually the one I'm least worried about, as it doesn't have to fill a grid with numbers. All it does is count, more or less. Of course, that's speculation as I don't have a large database to test with.

I didn't find the time it took to open and populate the homepage charts to be too bad in December, but there was enough of a noticeable difference that I remember smiling early this year when it dumped out last year's sales and had just this year's sales to deal with. But really, the grid populating issue was the bigger issue of the two. The graphing time at the end of the year was just a very minor annoyance.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »
Trackerbox isn't recognising this latest report. I don't know whether it's because of the new setup or what, but just to let you know.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »
It's absolutely because they changed it. I'll hope to have a new build up by Monday.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »
You are wonderful. :D

Offline Gretchen Galway

• California
  • Caution: puppy is larger than he appears
    • View Profile
    • Gretchen Galway
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
Thanks to Mark and this thread for informing me about the anticipated fix to Trackerbox! I didn't see anything on the website and was worried it might take a while for the KU2 fix to show up. Monday is fantastic.

Has anyone used Trackerbox with Kobo and their credits for special promos? That's something I keep putting off (when you do some promos with them, it's "author-supported," and the discount comes out after the fact from your total earnings for the month.)

Gretchen Galway

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »
Has anyone used Trackerbox with Kobo and their credits for special promos? That's something I keep putting off (when you do some promos with them, it's "author-supported," and the discount comes out after the fact from your total earnings for the month.)

I asked Mark about that earlier in this thread somewhere, if you want to page back. Short answer is that TB isn't set up to accommodate those credit reports.

Offline Gretchen Galway

• California
    • View Profile
    • Gretchen Galway
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
Thanks Phoenix. I should've gone through the thread. I didn't think it would, but since we were talking about a new build, thought I'd ask.

Gretchen Galway

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
Just so you know, the update for TrackerBox is up. This update has a few more things than just the KU changes (including performance improvements with large data sets).

I'll look into those credits and also ACX over the next few weeks. I've had a bunch of heavy contract work over the last few months that hasn't allowed me to add those things. I'm hoping my time will free up for a few days after the end of the month.

Offline Gretchen Galway

• California
    • View Profile
    • Gretchen Galway
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
Thanks Mark! Good luck with everything.

Gretchen Galway

Offline Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
Thanks, Mark.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
I broke exporting in 1.0.48 (well, it wasn't exactly me, but I released it that way, so I'll take the blame). So here is 1.0.49, with the bonus that it now exports to xlsx.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2015, 04:45:09 AM »
It seems there is a problem with pages read/freebie giveaways.

For example:

I have a trilogy which is not, and has never been, in Select. Book 1 is free.

When I select these three titles in the net income summary, and click sales (transaction type), the sales come up. When I click borrows in addition to sales, nothing changes (because they have never been in select), when I then click pages read, the unit number blows out to something ridiculous, resembling the sales + freebies, and this seems to be indeed the case, because when I click free, nothing changes. When I untick pages read, the unit numbers and $$ don't change, but a whole bunch of reports from weird countries (Google Play?) disappear.

It's very strange.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
I've got some of it solved, and it'll be in the next update (in a couple days - apparently Overdrive has just changed their reports). It turns out I forgot one little test, so if you select Sales, Borrows AND Pages Read, but not free, it shows everything including free. I'm not entirely certain what's happening when you untick the pages read and only have Sales,Borrows, & Free selected (when I do this to my own sales, nothing changes).

When I have the update out, try it again, and if the records still disappear, contact me through the support channels (the bug report thing, or the support email address), and we'll work through it.

Offline Perry Constantine

• Matsuyama
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »
It seems that every single Google sales report summary I try to import can't be imported.