Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Tracking book sales - TrackerBox  (Read 21471 times)  

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
Re: Tracking book sales - TrackerBox
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Mark, I was just about to fork over my money to get out of the countdown mode of my demo when I tried to import my December KDP report and it says it's not supported, even though it's an .xls file like all the rest of them.

Thoughts? Fixes?

Michael, fwiw, I imported 2 KDP December reports earlier with no problems, so it's not a system-wide problem. One of the reports was large (several thousand sales over 110 titles and multiple authors), and the software handled them beautifully. Mark is usually quite quick to respond to tickets (not that I've had many!), so if you're up against the wall on the demo, I'd say you'll be safe forking over the bucks.

Oh, those weren't your T&M reports by any chance? Those may not be supported on the automated side (no idea) but you should be able to upload them manually, in any case.

Online MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
Michael, fwiw, I imported 2 KDP December reports earlier with no problems, so it's not a system-wide problem. One of the reports was large (several thousand sales over 110 titles and multiple authors), and the software handled them beautifully. Mark is usually quite quick to respond to tickets (not that I've had many!), so if you're up against the wall on the demo, I'd say you'll be safe forking over the bucks.

Oh, those weren't your T&M reports by any chance? Those may not be supported on the automated side (no idea) but you should be able to upload them manually, in any case.

No, it was my regular KDP report.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
The first question I always have is, did you open the report in excel and save it before trying to import into TrackerBox? Excel can make subtle changes to the formatting, even if you don't change a thing, that can affect the ability to import. If you're not sure, download a new copy and try again.

If that doesn't work, email a copy of it to the support address, and I'll take a look. This is the first I've heard of problems with December reports, so it could be something unique to you. I'll make it work.

Online MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
The first question I always have is, did you open the report in excel and save it before trying to import into TrackerBox? Excel can make subtle changes to the formatting, even if you don't change a thing, that can affect the ability to import. If you're not sure, download a new copy and try again.

If that doesn't work, email a copy of it to the support address, and I'll take a look. This is the first I've heard of problems with December reports, so it could be something unique to you. I'll make it work.

It's identical to the others, and I didn't mess with it in any way. I hadn't even opened it when I tried to import, and I even downloaded a second time in case there was some transmission error. I'd email it to you, but I don't see your email address on this thread and your web site just has a form, not an actual address, so I can't attach a document.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »
It's identical to the others, and I didn't mess with it in any way. I hadn't even opened it when I tried to import, and I even downloaded a second time in case there was some transmission error. I'd email it to you, but I don't see your email address on this thread and your web site just has a form, not an actual address, so I can't attach a document.

Sorry about that. I thought the support address was more prominent. I'll have to fix that. support @ storyboxsoftware.com

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »
I just released version 1.0.39 with several changes.

• Updated to support latest changes to Lightning Source reports
  • Added a warning message when a TrackerBox import format file does not contain a value in the format column.
  • Updated Google eBook importer to support latest changes.
  • Improved handling of error when Apple .gz file is corrupted
  • Eliminated a problem that caused registered users to sometimes not be able to open the application if they switched date locales in their operating system
  • You can now multi-select rows in the reports. This allows for the deletion of multiple records at a time.
  • The chart tab on the reports is now the default (how it's supposed to be).
  • Added a "Importing" page to the Preferences. It is only active while a publisher file is loaded.
  • Added an option to choose which income column is used during Google imports. The option is presented during the first attempt to import Google results.

I'm still moving forward on the Mac version. I'm hoping to begin contacting people on the beta list by the end of the month to get some testing started. Thanks, everyone, for being so patient.

Offline RachelAukes

• Des Moines IA
    • View Profile
    • official site
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
I was just going to post a request on kboards for recommendations on book sales tracking software (tired of my manual spreadsheet). I'm so glad I did a quick search before I posted. I plan to start my free trial for TrackerBox this week!

Rachel Aukes | facebook | twitter | newsletter

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »
I have uploaded a new version (1.0.40) of TrackerBox here:

http://www.storyboxsoftware.com/tdownload.htm

It adds support for downloaded reports (vs the emailed reports) from Draft2Digital, and updates the Google eBooks importer to work with their latest changes.

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
I have uploaded a new version (1.0.40) of TrackerBox here:

http://www.storyboxsoftware.com/tdownload.htm

It adds support for downloaded reports (vs the emailed reports) from Draft2Digital, and updates the Google eBooks importer to work with their latest changes.

Thanks, Mark. Works great. I am still discovering stuff after all thistime with Trackerbox. How long has that export report as pdf thingy been there? Very nice.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
Mark, can I ask a question? I quite often forget whether I've imported a file or not, and might occasionally do it twice by mistake. Would Trackerbox flag this up if I did it?

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
Mark, can I ask a question? I quite often forget whether I've imported a file or not, and might occasionally do it twice by mistake. Would Trackerbox flag this up if I did it?

Oh I know this one! You can import and it won't change your data. I have redone mine more than once. It doesn't hurt anything.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
What if I import the files under two different names? Sometimes I accidentally download the reports twice and they get saved in my download folder with names like file(1) and file(2). Can Trackerbox recognise that it's actually the same file?

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
What if I import the files under two different names? Sometimes I accidentally download the reports twice and they get saved in my download folder with names like file(1) and file(2). Can Trackerbox recognise that it's actually the same file?

Yes because of the ids in the imported files, but to be safe just copy and save your database file to a safe location. It has .bst ending. Then import all your files and then compare the bottom line (number of sales or income) is still the same.

I have completely replaced my .bst before when I wanted the entries in the alias tidied up. I just removed the database from the folder, ran trackerbox and imported the newest kdp report first. That was like starting a new database with the up to date info. Then I just imported every single report file going back years all at once. It was very satisfying seeing all those numbers going up again LOL!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:49:10 AM by Mark E. Cooper »

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
Thanks! It will take hours to find and import all my reports again. If the figures start looking off I'll do it then.  :)

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
Thanks! It will take hours to find and import all my reports again. If the figures start looking off I'll do it then.  :)

I keep all my reports in dropbox in folders like Google, KDP, D2D, Apple, Createspace, Audible, Kobo... you get the idea. I never throw them away so I can do this sort of thing when I need to. I have screwed up Trackerbox before trying to make hand written import files using Mark's template. So I have had to restart a number of times. It only takes 10mins to redo the entire thing if you have all your reports in folders ready to import all at the same time.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
Yes, I do keep my reports on Google Drive, but it's more that I'm not very au fait with Trackerbox. Number crunching isn't really my thing except on the simplest level.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Mark is right that TrackerBox should import the same file over and over again without changing the data or adding extra records. TrackerBox doesn't use the file name at all - it goes by the data in the file. This works, also, for reports from Smashwords where they update their file with new data during the year. You can just download and import, and it will not import any records that already exist inside TrackerBox.

There is one caveat with the latest build, and that is Google ebooks. They changed the way they reported their ISBNs, so if you go and download a report for previous months, it won't recognize the records as "the same". What you will want to do in that case is open the Detail view, filter it so that you only see google records, select the ones from the timeframe which you want to update, right click, and delete them before you import your newly downloaded report.

@Mark - That export to pdf feature has been there from almost the beginning.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
Thanks, Mark (and Mark). I'm ignoring Google reports at the moment, having sold a grand total of precisely one book since I listed a few months ago.  :D

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
Mark, I happened to see a recent BN report for someone in France and noticed the report is set up differently from the ones we get in the States. There's a column for the royalty rate on their report, for instance, that we don't have.

Just a heads up in case you haven't seen an overseas report yet since NookPress just opened up in Europe. There might need to be some further tweaking to TrackerBox to accommodate.

Offline Mark Fassett

• Western Wa
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:30 PM »
There's not much tweaking necessary for that kind of thing. It's a rare month when at least one outlet doesn't make a change to their reports. As soon as someone sends me a copy of it, I'll add it.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »
I can't get it to read my Createspace files. It gives no error messages, but doesn't import them either. Is there a trick to doing this? I've separated my CS files out into months.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2014, 04:18:36 AM »
I had to figure this one out yesterday: you have to download a specific royalty report from your dashboard. I can't remember which one but the Help file will tell you exactly.

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:35 AM »
I can't get it to read my Createspace files. It gives no error messages, but doesn't import them either. Is there a trick to doing this? I've separated my CS files out into months.

It's the details one. Just checked, its the second tab from the end.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »
It's the details one. Just checked, its the second tab from the end.

Not sure I understand what you mean. I'm looking at the details screen, but Createspace doesn't appear in the vendors window, no matter what I do.

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:22 AM »
Not sure I understand what you mean. I'm looking at the details screen, but Createspace doesn't appear in the vendors window, no matter what I do.

At createspace, go to the reports link. Click. Choose Royalty Details tab. Down load THAT report. It will import into Trackerbox. The others won't.