Kindle Forum banner

Let's Tour NY

62K views 501 replies 33 participants last post by  Ann Herrick 
#1 ·
#104 ·
scarlet said:

eva tanguay's hat
From wiki: Eva Tanguay (August 1, 1878 - January 11, 1947) was a Canadian singer and entertainer who billed herself as "the girl who made vaudeville famous". Eva Tanguay is remembered for brassy self-confident songs that symbolized the emancipated woman,` such as "It's All Been Done Before But Not the Way I Do It", "I Want Someone to Go Wild With Me," "Go As Far As You Like", and "That's Why They Call Me Tabasco" In showbiz circles, she was nicknamed the "I Don't Care Girl", after her most famous song, "I Don't Care".

Tanguay spent lavishly on both publicity campaigns and costumes. One obituary notes that a "clever manager" told Tanguay early in her career that money made money, and she never forgot the lesson, buying huge ads at her own expense, and on one occasion allegedly spending twice her salary on publicity. She also got her name in the papers for allegedly being kidnapped, allegedly having her jewels stolen, and getting fined $50 in Louisville, Kentucky for throwing a stagehand down a flight of stairs.

Her costumes were as extravagant as her personality. In 1910, a year after the Lincoln penny was issued, Tanguay appeared on stage in a coat entirely covered in the new coins. Other costumes included a dress covered in coral which weighed forty-five pounds and cost $2000, and a costume made of dollar bills.

#108 ·
scarlet said:
sigh.....
no, it is NOT a restroom. it is a subway station. the 23rd street station on the N/R line. it is the "hat" station. more pictures will be coming eventually....
My second guess would have been a subway station but I've never been to New York to know these things.

We were in Vermont for 8 weeks this past fall. My husband had a 3 day weekend and we seriously considered New York City but then decided to go to Niagara Falls instead.

#111 ·
Nice shot, I guess Eva Tanguay's last publicity stunt was to glue her hat to the subway station wall, and they still haven't removed it almost a hundred years later!

Check this out, and look at the pictures. I think Madonna and Lady Gaga took Eva's correspondence course....

#112 ·
scarlet said:
you were in VT for EIGHT weeks and couldn't come down and visit me one time?
Sorry! Since we travel for a living, the husband works all week and we sight see on the weekends. We only lucked into one 3 day weekend and had never been to Canada or Niagara and my husband is a waterfall fanatic. We also did Salem MA for the weekend before Halloween. Those were our two big trips everything else we did as day trips from Rutland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.