Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors

Author Topic: How Many Freebies?  (Read 2179 times)  

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
How Many Freebies?
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
Not surprisingly I've got way more free ebooks on my Kindle than books I've actually paid for. Is it the same with everybody else? Most of my ebooks were either gifted to me or were Amazon freebies. Is it normal to download more freebies than paid purchases and are you more likely to read the free books first or the ones you paid for?

Offline Austin_Briggs

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
    • Austin Briggs
Re: How Many Freebies?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »
Not surprisingly I've got way more free ebooks on my Kindle than books I've actually paid for. Is it the same with everybody else? Most of my ebooks were either gifted to me or were Amazon freebies. Is it normal to download more freebies than paid purchases and are you more likely to read the free books first or the ones you paid for?

Personally, I never download free books, unless their copyright has expired or the author had gifted them to me. My experience with free books hasn't been that great (maybe it's just me).

I read all the books I've paid for.

But I hear many folks download tons of free and cheap books, and never read them. Although I saw one reviewer over on Amazon who ONLY reads free books, and stubbornly leaves 1 and 2 star reviews because she "hates" them. She's read over a hundred bad free books. Amazing gluttony for punishment, if you ask me.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
I have many more I have paid for than those I got for free. Main reason is that there aren't as many freebies in the genre/genres I like to read. I don't get the free ones anymore unless I really would be interested in it. When I first got my Kindle I clicked on anything it seems if it was free.  ;D

I got some really great stuff free, even if they are few to be found for me. I got the first in the Fever series free by Karen Marie Moning and then read the rest of the series. Those books are usually 7.99-9.99. Outlander was also free for a while. Those are the kind of freebies I snap up in a heartbeat.
Again, I just don't see as many. I don't read books just because they are free. I read books because I want to enjoy them.

So the select freebies I do get, are read the same than the purchased ones. As they are usually really good deals.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:19:46 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online KathyCarmichael

• Tampa, Florida
  • Where are my reading glasses?
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Carmichael's website
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »
I have many more I have paid for than those I got for free.

This sums it up for me, too. I have a few "select" free ones, but almost everything on my Kindle I paid for--and that's over 300 books :)
Romantic Comedy & Humorous Mystery
Kathy Carmichael | Website | Facebook

Offline BethCaudill

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • Beth Caudill - Short Story Author
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
I've downloaded some books from authors I follow which is nice to get free ebooks when you already have the paperback.  But I also downloaded a lot of free books in genres I don't usually read.  I want to expand what I read and figure it can't hurt to try something for free.
Beth Caudill
http://www.bethcaudill.net/

Offline digireader

• Oregon
    • View Profile
    • DigiReader Lounge
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
I have a mix of paid and free. Limited Time Freebies are often a good deal. Many authors seem to use them as part of the launch for a new book. I guess I figure if it's free and horrible then I just don't finish it and delete it off my Kindle. But there are probably just as many paid titles on my Kindle and as free ones. When it's free or almost free, I may discover an author that I wouldn't have otherwise and that may lead me to buy other books.

However, is PAID vs. FREE really a good marker when so many books are at the $0.99 and $1.99 price point? I mean at the $0.99 price point, it's not really much more above free and many of those books are quite good.
DigiReader Lounge
Sharing about Kindle & Nook eBooks Daily
http://digireaderlounge.com

Offline J.R.Mooneyham

• View Profile
    • J.R. Mooneyham Books: Action, Adventure, and Science Fiction
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
I can only think of one freebie on my Kindle at the moment, and it's a sci fi that I couldn't get through Amazon, but was available as a free download from the original publisher. I got it when I was searching for a new author to start reading, and found two decent sounding candidates; but then I could buy a book from only one of them on Amazon. So I ended up with the one bought and the one free. The author of the one bought may have had a slightly more up to date wikipedia page than the other, or a slightly more interesting series premise, so I read that one first. I enjoyed it, and so immediately bought the next book in the series, and not long after that, the third.

I'll probably read all this particular author's books before going to the free one now, as that's simply how I read these days.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
I was a little surprised by the numbers overall.  Out of 510 'purchased' books, 183 of them were freebies.  of these, 85 are unread, 67 I've read and 31 I started and abandoned.

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »
Personally, I never download free books, unless their copyright has expired or the author had gifted them to me. My experience with free books hasn't been that great (maybe it's just me).

Yup, same with me.

I do have a collection of old book (we're talking several centuries old), but I don't count those. They are always for research purposes.

Krista D. Ball

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Goodpaws
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:49:56 AM »
I've been reading a huge number of free books this year, much more than in the past couple of years.  For whatever reason, it seems there haven't been that many books for sale recently that have caught my interest.  For the most part I've been pleased with the freebies.  Sure some of them aren't all that great, but that's true of purchased books, too.

I do tend to read purchased books ahead of freebies.  If a book interests me enough to buy it, then I'm usually eager to read it as soon as possible.

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:17:52 AM »
When I first got my K1, Freebies were just about all I read. Heck for the first year, if you had averaged out what I spent on books I think it was less than $0.10 per book because I read SO MANY freebies (Baen & Gutenberg).
Now, my paids outnumber my free, but I'm ok with that because I'm not paying more than $4.99 for most of the books. Yeah, there's the occasional $9.99 one, but that's like 6 times a year.
"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline mikelewis

• Woking UK
    • View Profile
    • Mike lewis
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:33:05 AM »
I am at about 50% but don't have that many books on my Kindle App for Ipad as I don't use it that much.

I do download a LOT of samples whenever I see a book that looks interesting and I haven't worked through all those yet.

I also have been downloading some free books in a couple of genres that I have had ideas for stories for that I don't usually write - to see what the conventions of the genre are and how people put them together.

Mike
Changers' Summer
YA SF Dystopia
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Smashwords
The Smell of Magic and Other Stories
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Smashwords

Offline Harry Shannon

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • The Official Harry Shannon Web Site
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
I've learned the hard way that free doesn't mean decent. I now grab promotional books by authors I like, but rarely take chances on brand new ones any more, at least not just because they are free. Doing that just gives me more stuff to wade through on my Kindle, and I'm over 130 books behind as it is.

On Twitter.com as HarryShannon
www.HarryShannon.com

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »
Let's see... I have 179 items downloaded onto my Kindle.  I have a pretty healthy mixture of paid and free.  I download a lot of classics, like The Oz books and such, but I also will check the Top 100 Free Books list on Amazon at least once a week.  I habitually download the samples of books I have to pay for before I buy them, though.  Those samples number about 200.  Eight samples I have relegated to my "Buy this book!" list.  In my "I Have Finished Reading" list, there are only 12 books.  Of those 12 books, only one was free.  I gotta say, I have deleted a bunch of stuff, though, and have a ton of books that lost me half way through.

Hmmm...

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
Oh and MANY of the KB authors who are putting their books free, I already have paid for, so it makes me giggle.
"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb

Offline GerrieFerrisFinger

• View Profile
    • Gerrie Ferris Finger Welcomes!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
I never download free books. That's just me.

Offline history_lover

• CO
    • View Profile
    • Historical Readings & Reviews
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
I only get freebies I'm genuinely interested in. I've got 188 Kindle books - about 50 of those were free promos. I've read most of them -  some of them I've liked, some I haven't liked - only a few I've really, really liked. But I just recently went through and purged a few freebies that I decided I'm not all that interested in, especially if I realized they got a mediocre rating on Goodreads.

Offline djgross

• View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
Probably 80% paid, 20% free

I have downloaded a fair number of non-fiction freebies on DNA, genetics, etc... over the last few months that I will eventually get around to reading.   

I subscribe to the feeds of Pixel of Ink, Daily Cheap Reads and Books on the Knob to get updates on free and bargain books.   

"An intriguing and spell-binding story that is not to be missed."
-Coffee Time Romance

"I was super-glued to my Kindle for two days...
The balance between the suspense-filled action and
romance is spot on."  
-The Romance Reviews
"Fabulous...the twists and turns the story takes had me almost literally glued to the book."
-Romance Junkies

Offline theraven

• View Profile
    • www.christinafreeburn.com
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
Right now most of the books on my Kindle are free as when I first got it, I downloaded almost every single book that became free. I've been going through the list and deleting those that I know I'll never read as it's not a genre I enjoy reading or a non-ficiton book that the topic doesn't interest me at all. I do buy books on occasion and the ones that I buy (or borrow) are the ones that I read first. I probably average reading one free book a month and it will take me a long, long time to get through them all as I have over 100 (maybe even over 200).
Paranormal Mystery

Sometimes the best detective
is a dead one.
  Inspy Romantic Suspense

New Beginnings Series
Lost Then Found - Book One
Led Astray - Book Two

http://theselfrescueprincess.wordpress.com/

Online jillmyles

• Jill Myles
    • View Profile
    • Jill Myles dot Com
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
When I first got my kindle, I downloaded EVERYTHING that was free. Then I realized there was no way in the world I'd get a chance to read all of those. ;)

Now I just download a freebie if it sounds interesting, but most of the time they sit on my Kindle. If I paid for it, it usually gives me enough incentive to start reading it, right then and there.

Offline William G. Jones

• View Profile
    • Random Thoughts from the Passenger Seat
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »
Probably three-fourths of my books are freebies. I've started a few and abandoned them, haven't looked at most. Now, occasionally I see a free novel from a Big-6 publisher that was popular a few years back and I'll grab that, but mostly I download non-fiction freebies that I find interesting and tuck them away. I have my Kindle organized with business books, spirituality, self-improvement, health & fitness, etc... eh, who am I kidding, I'll never read 'em.
VISIT ME ONLINE | http://www.williamgjones.com
DRIVING TO BELAIR: A NOVELLA
Available for Kindle | Preview on Kindleboards

"I laughed and cried, became frustrated, annoyed and completely and wonderfully engaged... if you don't read Driving to BelAir you are missing one really great road trip." - Pam Bainbridge-Cowan

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
Most of the eBooks on my Kindle are free downloads or bought for $2.99 or under.

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Ok I feel like the oddball in this thread.
Carol are we counting the multi-author 99 cent box sets as paid or free.   I have lost count of them.   
What about authors I found free and now buy their books?
Only 3 at the moment, do I pay for and read immediately. 
What about the what do you think of my book books that I have been gifted or picked up free? 
I know I have many more freebies than paid, but read ratio is about the same 50/50.

Not counting the short I want your opinion books.   Those get read immediately.

For my bathtub reading right now: I think it is one free or 99 cents (I can't remember) and the other one is $1.99 read but that is one of my go to authors.
Last night I read a short freebie.

But then I am not your average reader.  I will try anything once.

Now on the freebies at Amazon, my odds are about 75% good but then again I hang out in the WC and have an advantage.

Now about a year ago, I did a quick sampling and discovered that non-kboarders were about 1 good for every 9 bad.   Kboarders were exactly the opposite. 9 good for 1 bad.   
And those were all free books.
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
Wow, 3 year old thread resurrection. ;)

Offline Fizpok

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 03:11:20 AM »
I've learned the hard way that free doesn't mean decent. I now grab promotional books by authors I like, but rarely take chances on brand new ones any more, at least not just because they are free. Doing that just gives me more stuff to wade through on my Kindle, and I'm over 130 books behind as it is.

Actually, 130 books behind is not something bad. I wish I had such a long list of pleasures ahead of me :)
I believe that self-publishing works better than an obsolete "traditional" approach. Simply because you do it for yourself and you will not cut corners, screw nails and hammer screws.
In my blog, a "sample self-publishing project" is being documented as I do it: please visit.
A little boy got lost in a library and was raised by the books...
Stepan Vartanov | blog | site | page on Amazon