Author Topic: How Many Freebies?  (Read 2009 times)  

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
Re: How Many Freebies?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
Looks like this thread has been resurrected a few times!

I'm curious as to what readers think TODAY about free books.  Do you still download them?  Do you read them?

I've found that most do, but others authors have said that is not their experience.  Readers, what do you say?  Also, having the first book free in a series...is that seen the same way?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:08:37 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Please visit my Amazon author page to see my books...99 cents each, for the month of April.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 05:31:03 AM »
The subject of free books comes around periodically, it seems. :) Sometimes this thread, sometimes another.

Lately all I've been reading are 'free' books -- because I'm getting to the front of the queue for a bunch  at the various libraries I belong to. ;) :D

I also got on some lists specifically because the authors were offering 'first in series free'. There were maybe a half dozen books, and they were all the sort of thing I have liked in the past, but new-to-me authors and in a genre that, for me, has a fine line between 'uniquely enjoyable' and 'same old boring'. So I'm not inclined to spend to see which it is. I've read some of them -- they've been fine. Some I liked well enough that I've marked the series to follow on fictfact. Some were just 'meh'. In all cases I'm now getting email newsletters -- which is fine, I knew I would. Some of those are interesting and/or useful. A lot are just advertisement and those I delete or, after a few weeks of the same sort of stuff, unsubscribe. I WILL read the freebies I got -- but I'm not going to buy anything else until I have done. I'm not yet a 'fan'. :)

I've gotten a few free books, as well, via GR giveaways which, honestly, are also books that I'd probably not have bought but are willing to read if I get it for free.

Of the series I like and follow, I'm usually willing to go ahead and pay for subsequent volumes. Some of the 'big name author' series I follow, I borrow from the library, as they're more expensive on first release; unless they're one of my absolute favorites, I don't want to spend $13 or $14. Smaller names/publishers are often not available in the library though. :( Depending on how reliable the author's been, I may be willing to spend up to $10 or so, or may wait until the price drops.

In the early days of kindle, I definitely picked up a lot of books free -- at the time, when all I really knew were paper books, it was unheard of to be able to read and KEEP a book for free. I definitely got many in genres I don't often read -- some I liked and some I didn't. But, at this point, with over 3,000 books in my Amazon account, I don't bother downloading something I'm not pretty sure I really do want to read. And I fully intend to read everything I get when I get it. I do have some books in my account now that I got years ago and I look at them and wonder why I got 'em. Usually they were free (or super cheap), which is another thing that helps me resist taking every free thing offered now. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
Like Ann, I have answered this question more than a few times in the past, but apparently not in this thread!  If I dug up my old posts, I don't think my answer today would be much different from then.

I don't know how many free books there are in my 23 pages (in list view) of unread Kindle books.  At this stage, paid books are certain to outweigh free books.  In the early days (2009), free books of any type were "ooh, shiney - FREE!" and I downloaded a lot of them indiscriminately. Many, MANY of them were cringe-worthy.  Now when I look at a free book, I don't make any distinction for price in deciding whether I want to "buy" it.

Cover (yes, I judge by cover), length (not a novella/novelette/short story fan), blurb, reviews starting from the bottom up.  I don't browse much on Amazon anymore because all categories are overrun with books that don't belong. Most of the time I am looking at a recommendation from another reader I trust, so that gives a book an automatic leg-up.

I might be interested in a book in the middle of a series that is free, but if I haven't read the first-in-series, I'm generally not going to get it.  I'm pretty OCD about reading in order. 

If I have a free book on my Kindle, I don't usually remember the price by the time I get around to reading it.  For the most part, I read from the oldest download toward the newest in my never-ending TBR pile.  If I like the book I read, I mostly binge read through the series, buying at whatever price the subsequent books. Sometimes the subsequent books are a higher price than I want to pay and those go on a watch list for sales. Then I go to the next book in my pile! ;D

Bottom line, if I have a free book, it WILL get read at some point, in no different order than a paid book. A free book is still likely to entice me to try a new-to-me author if it meets all my other criteria.  I don't consider gifted or library borrows in the same category as a free book to buy.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »
Well, apparently I did post in this thread in 2011. And a few others I am sure about this subject. Whats funny is that my post I wrote in 2011 reads just like it would if I were to write it today.

Since many of the free books I got over the years are not free anymore, I don't know in most cases. I have my books sorted in 45 collections on my kindles and those are probably only sensical to me. I can't see what I paid for books. I have them going from 0-7.99 plus tax. I say this because 7.99 is the most I am willing to pay for a ebook. Although I have paid 9.99 once for a Fever book. But then I got the first of that series free, so it evens out.

I don't look at books as free or non free. I look at books as which ones do I want to read. Doesn't mean I will pay always, or anything asked for. Thankfully there are plenty books to be found. I use my library extensively and sure taxes and all, but in effect, they are free at that time. And they are what i want to read. If I look at a new to me author, a free book will always be more attractive than paid. Heck isn't that with anything? Free is always better than not? If I can save money I will. But that doesn't change my vetting system.

I will not grab a free book just because is free. I grab them because they are something I wanted to read anyway and now they just happen to be free. That is the big difference for me.

I was like Ann in the very early days. I have had my kindle since 2008. OMG free books. I loaded up. There was no vetting, it was just OMG free books.  ;D. A few years later I spend a few weeks sifting through all my books in the account and deleted about 1000 of them. I think that was around 2010-2011. Can't recall. But I got over it and applied the same vetting I do to all books I read. Sometimes I buy them, sometimes I get them for free, sometimes I get them from the library. Always books I want to read, regardless of the monetary cost at the time.

So as I am sifting through my kindle collections and sort books into the next reading lists, some I have owned since 2008, some I just got. Overall I have no clue what I paid for them. I only know the library books I checked out as of course those are on a time table. And the KU books I read, those I keep track off.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
Thank you for the responses!

When I had my paranormal romance for free (right after being turned down by Kindle Scout) I had over 700 books downloaded in the five free days on KU.  Many authors believe readers don't look at free books, but my website was only listed at the end of the story and I got hundreds of new people on my mailing list.  So...I thought they must have read the story. 

It's interesting to see the different responses. Of course, maybe getting interested in a particular book on KS means more people will read it, when it's free. 

Thanks again! :)

Please visit my Amazon author page to see my books...99 cents each, for the month of April.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter