Author Topic: The Tea Thread  (Read 380761 times)  

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
Re: The Tea Thread
« Reply #6625 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I haven't really had any greens that I wanted to resteep yet, I'm sure I would if I had some jasmine green. But most of the ones I have are fruity, part of a sampler or a freebie and I just didn't like the flavor enough to have more than one cup at a time. The white teas I've had resteeped really nicely. Oolongs were best. I don't have much luck with black teas.

I haven't tried the Sticky Rice Oolong yet, I can try it tomorrow and let you know how it is. Pretty sure it's leaf.

I have seen some rose toucha sold at several places online and kept meaning to ask what kind of wrapper GF's had on them or if they were loose in a bag, I've seen some with pink and some with white. Maybe we can track down the same or similar for you somewhere else. I would love to try them. So far I'm not fond of puerh, but I'm willing to keep trying.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: February 08, 2018, 04:42:59 AM »
It's definitely leaf.

http://what-cha.com/thailand-jin-xuan-sticky-rice-oolong-tea/

It smells just like jasmine or basmati rice. Tastes like it too. It has a natural sweetness, and is very smooth and creamy. The sample I received said to do 1 tsp per cup, 185 degrees for 1-2 minutes. I used a bit more tea than that. The first steep has a lot of flavor I bet this one will go a few more times.

I'm not sure how often I would drink it but I will definitely order more. It's a very interesting tea.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: February 08, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the Sticky Rice oolong review.  The picture of the leaf itself on the site looks like GF's Milk oolong; those rolled leaves that bloom out huge and vibrant green when brewed.

It seems it's the addition of an herb, Nuo Mi Xiang, that gives this oolong (semi-oxidized between green & black) or GF's fermented puerh (black) to create the 'sticky rice' aroma/flavor. I'm guessing the puerh version holds up better to re-brew.  I didn't find any discernable difference in taste between the 1st and 2nd brews, 3rd brew still very good but was as far as I was willing to go.

You asked about the packaging for the GF touchas. I don't recall any markings on the individually wrapped rose touchas, just thin white paper and however many added up to the weight within in the resealable foil bags. I believe the sticky rice were the same and the organic puerhs I currently have are also that way (just like pictured for that particular tea on the GF site).

I didn't care for puerh the first time I tried it, so maybe my tea taste buds have evolved. Now they are among my favorites.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
It held up pretty well to 3 steeps. It probably would have made it 1 more. 16 oz mugs. In the 1st the rice flavor was more pronounced, in 2nd the oolong was, in the 3rd it was a balance between the 2. But nicely creamy/buttery the whole time.

Offline prairiesky

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
I am not a tea aficionado, but if you do tea in a keurig, I recommend Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice.  It also comes in tea bags.
It is perfect on a cold winter morning. I got mine on Amazon.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: February 10, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
I am not a tea aficionado, but if you do tea in a keurig, I recommend Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice.  It also comes in tea bags.
It is perfect on a cold winter morning. I got mine on Amazon.

I have that one in loose tea from harneys. It is really good, but I can't drink too much at once. I also have to use paper filters for that one as it flavors everything it comes into contact with. Wouldn't make that in my breville teamaker for example. It is really good on a cold day, or rainy day.

I dug out a thermos carafe I have had in the closet for a long time. I don't think I used it more than a few times for coffee. It was actually clean.  :P
I am on the testing phase now to see if its useful or if I have to get a better one. This is Thermos brand, ugly green plastic and the glass stuff inside. I have had tea in it for 1.5 hours so far. I need something that goes for at least 8 hours so I can make a pot of 6 cups or so and put it in for the rest of the day. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand and style actually keeps stuff hot? And I mean hot, not lukewarm.  8)

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline prairiesky

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: February 11, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
This spiced tea reminds of a tea that was served in Boulder, CO.  When our daughter was in high school, the basketball finals were in Boulder.  I looked forward to breakfast with this tea at a local restaurant.  I never could find anything that was similar, until now.  It is strong, but that's what I like about it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: February 11, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
This spiced tea reminds of a tea that was served in Boulder, CO.  When our daughter was in high school, the basketball finals were in Boulder.  I looked forward to breakfast with this tea at a local restaurant.  I never could find anything that was similar, until now.  It is strong, but that's what I like about it.
It has quite a kick in it. I actually had some today. Its been really cold, for us its cold. And although I have had this tea for some time, it still has a lot of flavor left. Unlike some flavored teas that lose some of the flavor as they get older. Still plenty of kick in it. And it kind of heats me up from inside out because of the cinnamon. And whatever else is in there, its not just cinnamon, but I can't put my finger on it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »
It has quite a kick in it. I actually had some today. Its been really cold, for us its cold. And although I have had this tea for some time, it still has a lot of flavor left. Unlike some flavored teas that lose some of the flavor as they get older. Still plenty of kick in it. And it kind of heats me up from inside out because of the cinnamon. And whatever else is in there, its not just cinnamon, but I can't put my finger on it.

The site info says there are 3 types of cinnamon, orange peel, and cloves. So kind of a cross between a cinnamon tea and Constant Comment? If you like that blend of flavors, try a little of the Gong Fu "Holiday Blend" (only available late fall and winter) next time you order from there. It always reminds me of a good chai plus orange peel.  I buy enough when it is available seasonally to have on hand year round. A great choice when it's really cold!

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: February 11, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
The site info says there are 3 types of cinnamon, orange peel, and cloves. So kind of a cross between a cinnamon tea and Constant Comment? If you like that blend of flavors, try a little of the Gong Fu "Holiday Blend" (only available late fall and winter) next time you order from there. It always reminds me of a good chai plus orange peel.  I buy enough when it is available seasonally to have on hand year round. A great choice when it's really cold!
I think TeaGschwendner has a similar type autumn type seasonal. I had tried that one, but I still prefer the Harney's. I'll keep an eye out for gong fu for next season and try theirs too. I don't like those flavored teas all the time. I am pretty much a straight type tea drinker at this point, but there are a handful of flavored ones I like once a day or so. Like a desert. Instead of actual carbs.  8)

How will I know if Gong fu gets the sticky rice tuochas in? I just check in the cart? I think I am going to just place a order for now since I do need my milk oolong and a couple of others. I can always get the sticky rice some other time later.

I don't want to run out of tea like you are apparently going to.  ;D

Still snowed in?

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: February 11, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
I think TeaGschwendner has a similar type autumn type seasonal. I had tried that one, but I still prefer the Harney's. I'll keep an eye out for gong fu for next season and try theirs too. I don't like those flavored teas all the time. I am pretty much a straight type tea drinker at this point, but there are a handful of flavored ones I like once a day or so. Like a desert. Instead of actual carbs.  8)

How will I know if Gong fu gets the sticky rice tuochas in? I just check in the cart? I think I am going to just place a order for now since I do need my milk oolong and a couple of others. I can always get the sticky rice some other time later.

I don't want to run out of tea like you are apparently going to.  ;D

Still snowed in?

We got 4 more inches of snow overnight, I think we've had 12-14 inches total in the last week.  Hopefully the weather forecasters are correct and we are done with snowfall for at least the next week!  DH has still been out every day. His car even made it out the unplowed driveway this morning; me, I don't drive in this stuff!

I'll let you know when the sticky rice tuochas are available again, Mr. Mike is supposed to email or call me as soon as he has them. I was really shocked yesterday when I realized how low my tea supplies are getting *shudder*. 

I think I wasn't paying enough attention because I have planned to get to the big city every weekend for the last month and each time has been postponed.  I do still have a large full tin of the Holiday Blend because I stocked up as soon as it was available this year and, like you, I only do flavored teas once or twice a week.  I'm pretty sure they still have it in stock now if you want to try it.

Let's just say GF is going to be REALLY happy with me when I either walk in next weekend or break down and order online this week ...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: February 11, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
You'll be doing the BIG order to restock.  ;D

I don't blame you for not driving if you don't have to. I do not miss the snow from back in Germany. Oh I hated when I had to get out, find my car under the snow, drive 1.5 hours on the autobahn to work in horrible snow and then plow my way back home in the dark. Then I had to first shuffle out the drive way just so I could put my car out of the street back into it. And the ice, ugh. I used to put vaseline and nivea on the rubbers of the doors to open them and have cardboard all over the windows. I do not miss that mess. The stress each day just driving in that stuff did me in.

But now I am used to warm weather and when the cold front hits, I get all shivering.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: February 13, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the link to Tea Chai Te. It is not too far from my house, but over a river and through a lot of traffic, so I placed an order on-line. I ordered Vanilla Peach Apricot, Caramel Creme Brle, Rooibos Market Spice, Mt Hood Vanlla, and Spiced Vanilla Chai. All 2 oz portions. That should hold me for a while.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
You're welcome. The person I spoke with from there was very friendly. Shipping was pretty fast, should be ever faster for you. The Mt Hood Vanilla is yummy. I haven't tried the rest of those, but I did see the Vanilla Peach Apricot mentioned in a youtube video and they seemed to love it.

I need to order from there again, they have several more teas I want to try. But I'm trying to wait til I finish up what I already have so I can decide which ones I want more of.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
  • Self-help and Spiritual Living
    • View Profile
    • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
« Reply #6639 on: February 13, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
I mostly drink tea with milk and sugar. We often use Lipton tea bags. But Tettly (perhaps wrong spelling) tea bags come with different flavors. My favorite is tea bag with cardamom (ilachi)...

Offline Ceramic

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
  • I mainly write non fiction.
    • View Profile
    • Blog: Musings of KarlettaA
« Reply #6640 on: February 13, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the link to Tea Chai Te. It is not too far from my house, but over a river and through a lot of traffic, so I placed an order on-line. I ordered Vanilla Peach Apricot, Caramel Creme Brle, Rooibos Market Spice, Mt Hood Vanlla, and Spiced Vanilla Chai. All 2 oz portions. That should hold me for a while.

I used to order leaf tea from Tealicious in Brisbane, Australia. They did a French Earl Grey with vanilla and rose petals. I wasn't keen on the rose, so ended up making my own with earl grey leaf and vanilla pods. That reminds me, I drink soy milk now, so I could get some vanilla soy milk to go with earl grey!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
I used to order leaf tea from Tealicious in Brisbane, Australia. They did a French Earl Grey with vanilla and rose petals. I wasn't keen on the rose, so ended up making my own with earl grey leaf and vanilla pods. That reminds me, I drink soy milk now, so I could get some vanilla soy milk to go with earl grey!

Vanilla soy makes great lattes. I particularly like it for a chai latte. Nice creamy mouthfeel. I've tried it with vanilla almond milk as well, but it's not as satisfying.

Offline Ceramic

• View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: February 13, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
Vanilla soy makes great lattes. I particularly like it for a chai latte. Nice creamy mouthfeel. I've tried it with vanilla almond milk as well, but it's not as satisfying.

Soo creamy. Didn't think of using it in lattes. When I rarely have coffee, thats what I have.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
You're welcome. The person I spoke with from there was very friendly. Shipping was pretty fast, should be ever faster for you. The Mt Hood Vanilla is yummy. I haven't tried the rest of those, but I did see the Vanilla Peach Apricot mentioned in a youtube video and they seemed to love it.

I need to order from there again, they have several more teas I want to try. But I'm trying to wait til I finish up what I already have so I can decide which ones I want more of.

I have already received a shipping notice!

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:55 AM »
I have already received a shipping notice!
Woohoo!

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: February 15, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »
GF Cream Assam is lovely cold brewed, I also put a bit of ground vanilla bean in the mix too. The cold brew tea tastes a bit like cream soda.

Offline Ceramic

• View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
GF Cream Assam is lovely cold brewed, I also put a bit of ground vanilla bean in the mix too. The cold brew tea tastes a bit like cream soda.

Sounds nice 😊

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: February 17, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
My Tea Chai Te order arrived yesterday. I am sipping MT Hood Vanilla. It is so good. I also got a sample of Apricot Rooibos, which I downed yesterday. I have 4 more of their teas to try. I am sure the MT Hood will be a re-order.

Online MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: February 17, 2018, 03:12:14 PM »
Awesome.

David's Tea has free shipping on all orders right now so I placed a small order. I have been holding off because I didn't want to spend $50 to get free shipping, and didn't want to spend $10 to ship 1-2 teas. So I was happy to see a free shipping deal.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: February 17, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Finally made it to the Gong-Fu tea shop today and I am fully restocked, whew!  I bought a little under 2 pounds total of tea - should last me a couple of months. I got:

Cream Assam
Irish Breakfast
Keemum Hao Ya
Nandi Hills
Golden Emperor
Organic Puehr tuochas
Milk Oolong
Frozen Summit Oolong
Ti Kwan Yin Oolong

Alas, still no Sticky Rice tuochas in stock, but I did find 2 in my small stash of tea at my sister's house, yay (and they are in a dark pink wrapper with symbols).

I'm having Milk Oolong as I type. All is right with my world.