Kindle Forum banner

The Tea Thread

483K views 7K replies 290 participants last post by  Jan Hurst-Nicholson 
#1 ·
A place for tea lovers to discuss tea in all of it's yummy glory. And tea accessories. I don't think that it is possible to have a tea thread without discussing tea accessories.

We accept people at all levels of tea love, bagged or loose leaf.

Admin update:

We are pleased to announce that this thread is now being sponsored by Teavana. Teavana is a great source of healthy, delicious teas. In return for their support of our boards, we're featuring Teavana ads sprinkled through this thread, featuring their tea products and specials.

See less See more
#6,777 ·
This is the same 32 oz teapot I bought on my last trip to GF. I absolutely love it, the short (and stout?) spout is completely no-drip and it keeps the tea hot a reasonable amount of time. The lid has a rubber-type seal around the ceramic so it fits very tightly on (but above a full pot so I don't think it will absorb flavors of different teas).

I really, really, really love the infuser. It is HUGE (wide and deep) and the holes are extremely fine, I don't think even the smallest broken leaves would get into the pot. It has some sort of a plastic handle that lays flat inside the infuser for storage when the lid is on and the handle does not get hot to lift the infuser when you are done brewing. It also fits in my 48 oz teapot perfectly (I haven't found any of my teapots it won't fit into) and did I mention it is HUGE?? Even 6 teaspoons of loose tea have room to swim and are still completely covered by water after they have bloomed.

I don't find this particular FORLIFE infuser sold separately, but it's a great excuse to buy yourself a wonderful new teapot AND get a new infuser to use in all your teapots! :D I highly recommend if you brew pots of tea rather than cups or gaiwan.

#6,778 ·
Oh thats a cute one. I like the color, I also like the mint green they have. I guess that brand gets what tea is about. How many times do you see teapot with filters and they are so tiny. Man, I really don't need another teapot, but its tempting  ;D

I been sipping on some Lavender Sencha tonight. I am not feeling too good and it really hits that spot. Gently, calming and soothing.

I almost finished the red plum tea. Its just so good. The Nandi also has really gotten better and better the more I have it too. So I am making a list this time for next order. But I still have to drink what I have for now.

#6,779 ·
I've been working through emptying some teas. So far I've finished Whispering Pines Golden Orchid, Teavana Pineapple Kona Pop and Youthberry Orange Blossom, Harney's Spring Floral Ti Quan Yin and some others that I can't remember.

And I'm still enjoying cold brewing. Private Selection (Kroger) Forest Berries tea is really good cold brewed. Tastes like a cranberry fruit punch. I did some of What Cha's Rose Oolong but haven't tasted it yet.

#6,781 ·
I usually use 2-3 16.9 oz bottles of  room temperature water in a pitcher with 1-2 tbsp of tea and 1/2-1 tbsp of sugar mixed with just enough boiling water to dissolve the sugar. After it's done I strain it back into the empty water bottles to drink when I'm running errands or working in the yard.

I don't usually resteep cold brew. I probably could but I just don't bother with it.

#6,782 ·
I'm trying once again to quit drining cokes in the morning.  I pulled out my Raspberry Riot Lemon Mate from Teavana and have been making a cup of that and pouring it over ice in the morning before work.  But I looked in my tea stash and when the tin is empty, I don't have any more.  Do any of you have a suggestion for a substitute since I can't get that one any more?  I like the fruity stuff early in the morning for the most part since I don't have to add sugar.  When I drink Chai, I need sugar and I'm trying to cut back there also.
Thanks!

#6,783 ·
I don't have a lot of fruity teas, most of the ones I do are from Teavana. I have some from TeaLyra that are pretty good, and the prices are reasonable. Adagio's are also good and they have been recreating some of Teavana's teas.

Are you wanting fruity infusions or fruity with tea? The Forest Berries I mentioned in a previous post is very good, it's from Kroger, the other stores from the parent company may carry Private Selection too, I'm not sure.

#6,786 ·
MichelleB675 said:
I don't have a lot of fruity teas, most of the ones I do are from Teavana. I have some from TeaLyra that are pretty good, and the prices are reasonable. Adagio's are also good and they have been recreating some of Teavana's teas.

Are you wanting fruity infusions or fruity with tea? The Forest Berries I mentioned in a previous post is very good, it's from Kroger, the other stores from the parent company may carry Private Selection too, I'm not sure.
The one I am trying to replicate is mate with fruit. I need something caffeinated in the mornings!

#6,789 ·
I'm not familiar with the Bonavita tea kettle, but it looks like a pretty good value if the gooseneck spout is important to you. Here's the Amazon link:

There's an even better price on the Hamilton Beach electric tea kettle I have been using for 4-5 years. It is larger (1.7L) for less money, but pretty much the same features except a regular spout. I use it every day, multiple times a day, and it still works like a dream.

#6,790 ·
I have owned this one since January 2011

Wow, I didn't think it was that long. It still works fine. The 200 degrees button is slightly wearing off the numbers, but still readable. ;D
I need one with easy to use buttons for husband. If he has to fiddle and go up and down, he'll not like it. This one he always knows what to press, it lights up and its on the handle. It can be heavy when full and it does get hot as its stainless, but they all get hot.

I also had bought one recently when I was doing pourover coffee. It was on sale when I got it so 39.99.

Its really cute looking and the settings work very well. It is smaller though than the Cuisinart and not as fast. The Cuisinart I assume has a larger element in it.

For now I put the gooseneck up in the closet as I don't make pourover by hand anymore, but use my cup one technivorm. I just don't have the space to keep both up. And we go through a lot of hot water so the bigger one has to stay.

I also still have a simple Braun plastic one that just boils. It has to be like 15 plus years old now. I use that for my footbath water. ;D

#6,791 ·
#6,792 ·
I've heard Plum Deluxe is pretty good, but haven't ordered from them yet.

What else did you order?

I need to catch up with my cold brewing, I have 3 different kinds in the fridge that I need to drink up lol. Tea Forte Mountain Oolong (the peach started giving me headaches as hot tea, but cold brew is really yummy), Private Selection Berry & Ancient Flower and Gongfu's White Peony with a bit of lavender and ground vanilla bean.

#6,793 ·
MichelleB675 said:
I've heard Plum Deluxe is pretty good, but haven't ordered from them yet.

What else did you order?

I need to catch up with my cold brewing, I have 3 different kinds in the fridge that I need to drink up lol. Tea Forte Mountain Oolong (the peach started giving me headaches as hot tea, but cold brew is really yummy), Private Selection Berry & Ancient Flower and Gongfu's White Peony with a bit of lavender and ground vanilla bean.
That's the only thing I tried from them this time around. But I was looking at their specialty boxes and their tea subscriptions.

From Tealyra I tried their Fresh Lemon Mate thinking I could easily add raspberries to it.

And from Adagio I tried their Raspberry Lemon Mate blend. Again, reviews indicated that it was a little short on the raspberries, but I can fix that.

G
#6,795 ·
Oooh, a tea thread. All we need are some mint and butter sandwiches to go with it.
I've been drinking black minty tea for years, love the one made by Bigelow.
We also buy loose tea from Upton Tea. Great prices.
And recently started making our own kombucha. Raising a cup to you all, Vijaya

#6,796 ·
I'm on my 2nd pot of GF's Ti Kwan Yin Wuyi Shan Oolong today and got to thinking that Atunah has not told us what she thought of this tea when she ordered and inquiring minds want to know!

On a first brew I get the nutty mild roasted taste.  The roasted taste is not as prevelant on the 2nd brew and leaves a sweeter finish in my mouth.

We were in Florida for a wedding week before last and spent one day at Epcot.  I, of course, had to visit the Twinings Tea Shoppe in "England"!  I did get two new loose teas while there.  I was told they will eventually be available in tea bags wherever you buy Twinings.  An Earl Grey Black Lavender and an Earl Grey Black Jasmine. 

I don't know why they are labeled Earl Grey when there is no bergamot in them, but I have decided Jasmine does not belong in a black tea! Even with a short brewing time or lower temperature the black just overpowers the delicate Jasmine (plus I think it is just flavor, no actual flowers). Not wild about this one, but it is drinkable so it won't go to waste (like the Iron Goddess *shudder*). I do like it better as a cold brew.

I haven't made the Lavender yet, will let you know when I do.

Welcome to the new folks.  Always great to have additional voices talking about tea!

#6,797 ·
Did I never say what I felt about the Wuyi Shan? I guess I didn't. I really enjoy that one. It is a really nice oolong, flavorful and get 3 steeps from it. Its refreshing. Its a good value for an oolong.

Waving at all the new folks to the thread. Mint and butter sandwiches, now thats something I never heard of. Trying to imagine what that would taste like.  8)

#6,798 ·
I'm having a big mug of Keemun this morning. I haven't felt like drinking any hot tea the last 2 days so I've had some cold brewed. One was an experimental smoky cinnamon black cold tea, first sip is weird but it gets better, but not an experiment I would repeat, I don't really care for cold cinnamon tea.

It feels like ages since I've ordered anything new. I was hoping to place a small order for my birthday but didn't get to do that. So I'm still working on emptying some of my stash. I'm going to attempt to finish my coconut pouchong, but I may have to just toss it out, since I seem to have developed an allergy to coconut. I'm not sure if there is enough coconut in the pouchong to trigger it or not, but I'll fix a cup soon and keep some benedryl on hand just in case.

#6,800 ·
Vijaya said:
Thanks. If you have an Indian store nearby you can buy mint chutney there. It's very refreshing.
I have a cabinet full of mint chutneys and various others and pickles....... I love cooking indian food and buy most of my spices from "our guy" as we call him. ;D

I just never heard of putting it on bread with butter. Course I don't really eat bread anymore, but it sounds interesting.
Might have to try it with my keto bread one of these days.

G
#6,801 ·
Atunah said:
I have a cabinet full of mint chutneys and various others and pickles....... I love cooking indian food and buy most of my spices from "our guy" as we call him. ;D
Wow! Then you certainly know that the best snacks are actually little samosas and pakoras. But I am partial to the little sandwiches the British introduced us to.

Uh-oh. I'm digressing from tea. To bring it back around:

How many of you here make spiced tea from scratch? In the stores they have "chai" but it doesn't hit the spot. We buy our own cinnamon and ginger and peppercorns and steep black tea (Assam or even Oolong) and it's the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.