Kindle Forum banner

M-edge GO! Jacket -- review and photos

26K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  mooshie78 
#1 ·
Submitted for your approval, my review of the M-edge GO! leather jacket.

Amazon link is here (Scroll past text for my photos).

My GO! is in red marbled leather. The leather is a beautiful shade of bright red -- very nicely made, with precise white stitching at the edges. Inside is completely lined with soft silvery gray felt. I would have guessed the inside was suede, but I'm told M-edge uses felt. At the center, a strip of red leather holds the Amazon-patented hinges. Black elastic corners hold the top and bottom right corners of the Kindle, with red leather trim covering the corners of the device itself. The corner supports are attractive, but seem unnecessary since the hinge system is very secure. If the corners had been optional, I would not have chosen them, but at least they give me another touch of my favorite color.

I ordered this cover because it was compact, and I'm very happy with its slim profile. The GO! is only the tiniest bit taller and wider than the Kindle: 8-5/16" tall and 5-7/8" wide. With my K2 inside, it is only 3/4" thick. The M-edge web site shows dimensions of 8.25 in. x 5.25 in. x 0.66 in. My ruler didn't agree with the first two dimensions; I measured the thickness WITH the Kindle inside, so that's why my third measurement differs.

This is a no-frills cover. There is no clasp, no pocket, and no extra space in the fold for the M-edge E-luminator book light. The only unnecessary features, IMHO, are the two elastic corners. A clasp, pocket(s) and/or a spot for the E-luminator would add width and weight, so I'm happy not to have them. People who want something to keep the cover closed could use an elastic band. I'm satisfied with my Mighty Brite book light, so didn't need the space for the E-luminator. It would have been nice to have just one small pocket, just large enough for a business card, but I can live without it.

When the GO! jacket is folded back for reading, the suede-like felt on the fold feels good in my hands.There are no sharp edges on the right side where the two cover edges come together, so that feels comfortable, as well.

No part of the GO! jacket obscures menu buttons, mini-USB port, power switch, earphone jack or volume control slider. However, with the corner supports in use, the speakers are held tightly against the back cover. When I tested the Text-to-Speech feature, I adjusted the volume to compensate, and I could hear just fine.

I've read reviews with complaints about the smell of M-edge leather covers. This one is not odor-free, but the odor is not unpleasant... it reminds me of a new car with leather seats. The "new car" smell seems to be fading as quickly as it does on a new car, too, so it will probably be gone soon.

At $29.99, the Go! shares the same price as Amazon's black cover, but as Amazon should and may yet learn, color choices are a good thing! All in all, I'm very pleased with this purchase.

Photos below show the GO! jacket closed, open, side view and folded back. My skin is Zen Revisted, by DecalGirl. I bought the bag on a trip to Chinatown in San Francisco.

Kindle's new clothes:

(edited to add Amazon link -- thanks, Octochick!) and because M-edge now calls it a "jacket" instead of a "cover"

See less See more
#7 ·
Great review,

I also have the M-Edge GO Cover in Purple and I love it. I previously had the Amazon cover, as the Go cover came out later. Was happy with the Amazon cover but felt the Babee needed the Purple cover to go with her Lily Decalgirl skin. A Lady must always look her best.  ;)

#8 ·
That's beautiful. I've been trying to decide on a cover, and that one, in exactly the same colour was right at the top of my list. I have ordered a skin from Decalgirls (Wavedancers) and I think the red case would complement it beautifully.
Thanks for the wonderful review and the photos. They are a lot better than the ones I've been looking at, and the colour is the exact shade of red I'm wanting.

#9 ·
I bought myself a Go, although I couldn't order from Amazon as they wouldn't ship internationally. M-Edge seemed to be able to handle that but I got properly bushwhacked for shipping charges. Nevermind - the cover is great, makes my Kindle much easier to handle and read, and keeps dust and idle scuffs and scratches from ruining my usual good humour.

I got the Go as supposed to any other because frankly, the notion of strapping an enormous light to my Kindle is ridiculous. If I want to knock off a chapter in the dark I use my iPhone…!

#10 ·
jsamuelson said:
I got the Go as supposed to any other because frankly, the notion of strapping an enormous light to my Kindle is ridiculous. If I want to knock off a chapter in the dark I use my iPhone…!
One reader's ridiculous is another's necessity - I love my reading light for reading after my husband's rolled over to go to sleep. I use the iPhone occasionally but really prefer reading on my Kindle.
Glad you like your cover!

#11 ·
Meemo said:
One reader's ridiculous is another's necessity - I love my reading light for reading after my husband's rolled over to go to sleep. I use the iPhone occasionally but really prefer reading on my Kindle.
Glad you like your cover!
Agreed!! I might get a Mighty Bright light just to have on my bedside table…it looks like it stands up by itself.

Either that or have LEDs embedded in my forehead. ;)

#12 ·
jsamuelson said:
Agreed!! I might get a Mighty Bright light just to have on my bedside table…it looks like it stands up by itself.

I should add that I use a Mighty Bright - I didn't want the M-edge cover with the built-in light because I don't want to carry a light around all the time. Maybe one day they'll perfect Sony's idea of a cover with a built-in screen light.

#13 ·
jsamuelson said:

Yes, the Mighty Bright light will stand up by itself. :) I have also used the Mighty Bright as a hands-free flashlight by clipping it to my clothing (usually pocket or waistband).

#14 ·
Nice pics and great look
like the way how it matches the carrier

#21 ·
Meemo said:
I should add that I use a Mighty Bright - I didn't want the M-edge cover with the built-in light because I don't want to carry a light around all the time. Maybe one day they'll perfect Sony's idea of a cover with a built-in screen light.
doubt that will happen, with the way sales are on the Kindle vs Sony

#22 ·
cheerio said:
doubt that will happen, with the way sales are on the Kindle vs Sony
I do like my Sony pocket reader, and I got their cover with the built-in light - but it works well for that one because it's all smaller - the reader, the cover, and the light. The front folds back flat for reading.

Here's the Sony Touch edition - now if Amazon would come out with something like this....

#23 ·
Im sure there is an aftermarket company that is out there that makes the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.