Kindle Forum banner

Which cover do you like better?

7K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  geoffthomas 
#1 ·
I'm a graphic designer as well as a writer, so I do my own covers. This one is for a book I won't release until May/June, but I'm trying to pin it down for advance promotion purposes. Which one do you like better? Either one still needs a little tweaking before it's ready for prime time, obviously, but I just can't make up my mind.

Wings:

Building:

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm going to be completely contrary and say I like #1 best. It's because of the wings. It makes me think this is a supernatural/paranormal story, and I'm drawn to those sorts of books. The second cover doesn't give me that feel at all. (So, if it's not supernatural, then I suppose #2 is the better choice.  :) )

#12 ·
j meyers said:
I'm going to be completely contrary and say I like #1 best. It's because of the wings. It makes me think this is a supernatural/paranormal story, and I'm drawn to those sorts of books. The second cover doesn't give me that feel at all. (So, if it's not supernatural, then I suppose #2 is the better choice. :) )
I actually couldn't tell they were wings at first glance. I did notice after I looked at it for a few moments. I think the building is a lot more interesting, especially since the woman's face is closer to me in the second. The wings are too dark. They'd need to be just a bit lighter for it to be readily apparent that they are wings, IMO. The shape at the edge is the only thing that made me notice they were wings.

#15 ·
Tara Shuler said:
I actually couldn't tell they were wings at first glance. I did notice after I looked at it for a few moments. I think the building is a lot more interesting, especially since the woman's face is closer to me in the second. The wings are too dark. They'd need to be just a bit lighter for it to be readily apparent that they are wings, IMO. The shape at the edge is the only thing that made me notice they were wings.
Absolutely! I couldn't tell they were wings at first, and this is with the cover in an enlarged format. As a thumbnail, I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

#17 ·
I like Building.

With Wings I can't tell if she's standing, stooping, leaning,...
And I couldn't even see the wings at first, even with the larger size. They sort of look like a shadow or another person behind her.

#22 ·
If the subject is urban fantasy, then #2 is far better.
But I say that because I did not notice that there were wings until it was mentioned here.
Now if the subject is apocalyptic drama, then I would vote for the wings, but better defined.

There is a mid-point that one could use by making the figure even less big and providing both defined wings and the urban setting.
This would provide the urban fantasy/paranormal image combined.

Just sayin....

#23 ·
I kind of agree with this suggestion:

geoffthomas said:
There is a mid-point that one could use by making the figure even less big and providing both defined wings and the urban setting.
While the face and building look dynamic in 2, it seems like the wings are a big part of the story. Might be cool and interesting to work the wings in there somehow by making the figure in 2 a bit smaller, providing room for an explosion of wings and feathers shooting off to the left ... leaving space for the building and sky to loom on the right side.

#24 ·
What genre is the novel?

As an Urban fantasy/Paranormal addict - I'd pick up a book that had a cover of a chick with wings first. That piques my interest immediately. Though the wings should be more prominent.

The 2nd cover does pop more. But it makes me think paranormal romance.

Great work. I'm so jealous you can do your own covers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.