Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Fire vs just announced Nook tablet

9K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  foreverjuly 
#1 ·
I just heard on CNBC that B&N has just announced a Nook tablet to compete with the Amazon Fire. Does anyone know anything about this?

#2 ·
#3 ·
The story of my life, always too late. I think I would have invented the light bulb, only a few years after Edison. Instead of the Model T car, I would have invented the Model U car. I'm still working on coming out with my equivalent of the Sony Walkman. Any day now I will get it right.

#4 ·
Kindle Fire all the way!!! What does the Fire give you that the Nook Tablet doesn't?
Amazon, Baby!!!

#5 ·
I think it's a nice device no doubt. But I prefer the amazon ecosystem. Just like I like the apple ecosystem with my iOS devices. With the kindle fire matched up with my amazon prime account. You just can't beat it.

It was very un-classy for the CEO of B&N to make so many digs at amazon also. Jeff Bezos didn't do that at his announcement.

#6 ·
monkeyluis said:
I think it's a nice device no doubt. But I prefer the amazon ecosystem. Just like I like the apple ecosystem with my iOS devices. With the kindle fire matched up with my amazon prime account. You just can't beat it.

I agree that the Nook Tablet is nice; however all of my ebooks are from Amazon, plus my online shopping (I have Amazon Prime). The additional features on the Nook (HD viewing, expandable storage, microphone) would be nice for the Fire but for me personally are not necessary. I believe the Kindle Fire will handle all of my needs.

It was very un-classy for the CEO of B&N to make so many digs at amazon also. Jeff Bezos didn't do that at his announcement.
I agree. That was so unprofessional. Just for that, I hope that the larger tablet that Amazon launches next year will blow the Nook out of the water!

#13 ·
Let's all agree to disagree on what we might or might not think of Steve Jobs and get back to discussing the Kindle Fire vs the Nook tablet, the subject of this thread, shall we?  ;)

Thanks!

Betsy
KB Moderator

#14 ·
JB--

I suggest you start a new thread in Not Quite Kindle if you're looking for general information and recommendations on tablets!  That's your best bet and it won't derail this thread, thanks.  ;)

Betsy

#15 ·
I definitely prefer the Amazon ecosystem as well.  Frankly I'm not sure why people would go with B&N.  In the long run I just can't imagine it will outpace Amazon with apps and with things you can do.  You can only buy books from B&N.  You can buy anything from Amazon.  The Nook just seems to limited.  It offers only some things the Fire will offer.  The tech specs are mildly superior - for now.  Whatever the 2nd generation Fire is will no doubt make that irrelevant.  I read an article yesterday that made a very interesting point that ultimately the superior Nook tech specs won't make any difference because those buying this as a gift will only see the $199 price point of the Fire. 

#16 ·
You are quite correct in all your points DYB.  However lets be fair, a pal of mine has a nook simple touch and I compared that with my Kindle Keyboard and B&N did a better job at the user interface then amazon did.  However, that does not eliminate your comments about the Nooks being limited to just books where as amazon sells everything. 

#17 ·
jbcohen said:
You are quite correct in all your points DYB. However lets be fair, a pal of mine has a nook simple touch and I compared that with my Kindle Keyboard and B&N did a better job at the user interface then amazon did. However, that does not eliminate your comments about the Nooks being limited to just books where as amazon sells everything.
I'll have to take a look at the latest Nook interface. I tried the first Nook at a B&N when it came out and thought the interface was terrible, but haven't checked recently.

Betsy

#18 ·
One thing I love about the B&N tablet is that Netflix and Hulu come preloaded.  So there is no question that those apps will be supported on the Nook Tablet.  I ordered a Kindle Fire for my 9 year old son for Christmas, but I am doubting my decision.  My kids love Netflix and if he doesn't end up being able to watch it on the Kindle Fire that will be a big disappointment.  I know there is Amazon Prime, but it doesn't have near the stuff that Netflix has.  If I didn't have so many Kindle books, I would order my son the B&N tablet, but I feel kind of stuck.

#19 ·
I'll take a good hard look at both.  After rooting my first NC, I've been quite pleased with what B&N came out with.  The only real thing that would tip the scales is the expandable memory that the Fire wont have, unfortunately.  I do a metric crap-ton of shopping on Amazon, so I would easily be at home with the Fire. 

But, the new Nook tablet looks and sounds pretty nice, too.

#20 ·
kkay5 said:
One thing I love about the B&N tablet is that Netflix and Hulu come preloaded. So there is no question that those apps will be supported on the Nook Tablet. I ordered a Kindle Fire for my 9 year old son for Christmas, but I am doubting my decision. My kids love Netflix and if he doesn't end up being able to watch it on the Kindle Fire that will be a big disappointment. I know there is Amazon Prime, but it doesn't have near the stuff that Netflix has. If I didn't have so many Kindle books, I would order my son the B&N tablet, but I feel kind of stuck.
Netflix was one of the few companies who had access to the Fire even before the announcement, so I would be surprised if there was no Netflix app on the Fire.

#23 ·
I think there's at least one discussion of the Steve Jobs book in the Book Corner. Let's leave this thread for the Fire vs Nook, thanks. ;)

If you do want to discuss Steve Jobs as depicted in the book, here's the thread:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=86951.0;all

Betsy

#24 ·
jbcohen said:
Right again DYB, netflix appears to be on everything. Of course you don't hear me whimpering about that fact.
Netflix is pushing their streaming arm of the company - so they better be on everything if they want to dig themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into over the past few months! I do think it's odd that Amazon isn't touting what Apps they're going to have on the Fire the way B&N is doing. It's fine to be secretive, but when people start questioning buying their item because they're not sure it'll have Netflix - that's shooting yourself in the foot!

#25 ·
I am sort of unclear on what only being able to buy books from BN and everything from amazon has to do with an E-reader? The only thing you really need for an E-reader is books right, magazines and maybe a few apps right, all of which BN offer. I think it really comes down to a personal preference and just because you like one over the other does not really make you more right or more wrong IMO.

#26 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
I think there's at least one discussion of the Steve Jobs book in the Book Corner. Let's leave this thread for the Fire vs Nook, thanks. ;)

If you do want to discuss Steve Jobs as depicted in the book, here's the thread:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=86951.0;all

Betsy
I've yet to see many threads that do stay on topic. That is not human nature. Regardless, unless someone just outright hijacks a thread I really don't see the need for anal retentive thread policing. Chill out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.