Kindle Forum banner

Waiting For Spring Klub week 2: Chapters 10-18

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  RJ Keller 
#1 ·
Sorry about the delay in posting the week 2 questions. I've been very under the weather.

The first section of the book led up to Tess and Brian getting together. Chapters 10-18 chronicle their nascent relationship as they not only get to know each other better, but as they come to terms with each others' past. We also learn more about Rachel's troubles as well as New Mills' year-round and summer residents.

Like last week, I've tried to pick out the highlights, which is not an easy task. Feel free to jump in with anything you'd like to discuss that I don't bring up. I'm serious about that.

-------------------

* Chapter 10 is strictly about Brian and Tess's first time having sex and chapter 11 deals with the aftermath of that event. I'm aware this is a family forum so I won't go into the nitty gritty. (Hi moderators!! ;D ) I will say that my intention was to show that this was a kind of battle between the two of them to define the nature of their relationship. Tess was still trying to keep things on a physical level, while Brian wanted more. If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail, I'm game. If not, that's cool, too. (On a similar note, if anyone is up for a discussion of the use of sex and language in the book in general, let me know. That's what seems to get the most attention in off-board discussions and reviews, and I'd love to have the opportunity to discuss and/or defend my use of both aspects here.)

* Brian's instinct is to bully Tim out of Rachel's life while Tess thinks she should be left to learn from her mistakes. At this point in the story, which approach do you think was better?

* Nevertheless, Tess later tries to reason with Rachel a little more about her choices. Do you think she should have, or could have, done more?

* The disastrous Fourth Of July gathering highlights not only Tess's painful relationship with her mother, but the dysfunction of the Bellows family in general. What are your thoughts about the family that created Tess?

* Much is made about the class distinction between the summer residents and the year-round locals. Chapter 15 is a study of the haves and have-nots. What are your impressions of both groups? Do you find that this kind of class/money distinctions are common in your area?

* Tess is threatened by Ashley, Brian's ex, yet she feels protective of her as well. Why do you think this is?

* Both Brian's and Tess's past come calling in the form of Brian's father, Rick, and Tess's ex-husband, Jason. What affect did these visits have on their relationship? Did you take the given reasons for these visits at face value, or did you think there was more to it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hope you're feeling better soon.

* Chapter 10 is strictly about Brian and Tess's first time having sex and chapter 11 deals with the aftermath of that event. I'm aware this is a family forum so I won't go into the nitty gritty. (Hi moderators!! ) I will say that my intention was to show that this was a kind of battle between the two of them to define the nature of their relationship. Tess was still trying to keep things on a physical level, while Brian wanted more. If anyone wants to discuss this in more detail, I'm game. If not, that's cool, too. (On a similar note, if anyone is up for a discussion of the use of sex and language in the book in general, let me know. That's what seems to get the most attention in off-board discussions and reviews, and I'd love to have the opportunity to discuss and/or defend my use of both aspects here.)
I rarely read books in this genre so I'm unsure how appropriate your descriptions might be. Your use of language seems realistic for your characters.

* Brian's instinct is to bully Tim out of Rachel's life while Tess thinks she should be left to learn from her mistakes. At this point in the story, which approach do you think was better?
Neither. The police would have been the best choice.

* Nevertheless, Tess later tries to reason with Rachel a little more about her choices. Do you think she should have, or could have, done more?
See above. Tim could have easily been sent away with a little pressure on the police and DA from David (the lawyer). The argument that Tim was untouchable is debunked by the fact that Tim was able to have his competitor arrested.

* The disastrous Fourth Of July gathering highlights not only Tess's painful relationship with her mother, but the dysfunction of the Bellows family in general. What are your thoughts about the family that created Tess?
The major disrupting influence seems to be Tess's mother's venom and her father's failure to assert himself. The family desperately needs counseling. ;D

* Much is made about the class distinction between the summer residents and the year-round locals. Chapter 15 is a study of the haves and have-nots. What are your impressions of both groups? Do you find that this kind of class/money distinctions are common in your area?
Socioeconomic class conflicts are common in American literature so I'm sure they must exist, but I've never been involved in any.

* Tess is threatened by Ashley, Brian's ex, yet she feels protective of her as well. Why do you think this is?
Tess operates on her emotions which makes her mercurial.

* Both Brian's and Tess's past come calling in the form of Brian's father, Rick, and Tess's ex-husband, Jason. What affect did these visits have on their relationship?
Both Brian and Tess behaved abominably. I liked them both less after these events. To me, Brian's whiny and weak, so I don't like him much anyway.

Did you take the given reasons for these visits at face value, or did you think there was more to it?
It seemed that Brian's father was truly trying to mend fences. Jason may have had an ulterior motive for his visit but Tess torpedoed him before we could find out.

#3 ·
Jeff said:
Hope you're feeling better soon.
Thanks! I finally feel like I'm on the mend today. Thank you, antibiotics!

Jeff said:
Tess operates on her emotions which makes her mercurial.

To me, Brian's whiny and weak, so I don't like him much anyway.
True dat on Tess, but I'm surprised to read your take on Brian. I have to admit I've never heard him described as whiny and weak before (and I didn't intend to write him that way). I'm curious what it is about him that makes you think that?

#4 ·
RJ Keller said:
True dat on Tess, but I'm surprised to read your take on Brian. I have to admit I've never heard him described as whiny and weak before...
How many men have described him before?

RJ Keller said:
I'm curious what it is about him that makes you think that?
* Beating up his father, who Brian knew wouldn't defend himself, was the behavior of coward and a bully.
* Brian's hand hurt from punching his father, so he couldn't go to work for two days. And then, when he finally soldiered up and did go to work, he bullied his employees.
* He got in his truck and ran away leaving Jason on the doorstep for Tess to confront. How did Brian know that Jason wouldn't hurt her?
* Brian's nearly as emotional and irrational as Tess.

#5 ·
Jeff said:
How many men have described him before?
Now that you mention it, only one. He didn't like Brian because he reminded him of a construction worker his wife had a crush on. :D I'd love to hear other guys' points of view (hint hint, nudge nudge).

Jeff said:
* Beating up his father, who Brian knew wouldn't defend himself, was the behavior of coward and a bully.
* Brian's hand hurt from punching his father, so he couldn't go to work for two days. And then, when he finally soldiered up and did go to work, he bullied his employees.
* He got in his truck and ran away leaving Jason on the doorstep for Tess to confront. How did Brian know that Jason wouldn't hurt her?
* Brian's nearly as emotional and irrational as Tess.
Wow. It is seriously interesting seeing the way readers see my characters. I hope I don't sound defensive as I defend Brian. (I'm used to people not liking Tess, but this is new for me.)

To me, Brian's emotional/irrational side informs the rest of his behavior. Beating up his father wasn't cowardly or bullying; he didn't plan to do it or think about whether or not Rick would defend himself. He snapped.

RE him leaving Jason there for Tess to deal with. I looked at it as him leaving a situation he knew could get violent (on his part; see Brian's emotional and irrational temper above.)

About him taking his temper out on his employees...guilty.
He does it later as well, you may recall. I can hardly wait to hear your take on him later on in the book when he really lets go. lol

When I was writing Brian, it was with an undercurrent of anger, but I always saw him as a basically decent guy. (Ha! That did sound defensive. Oops!)

#6 ·
Now that you mention it, only one. He didn't like Brian because he reminded him of a construction worker his wife had a crush on. :D I'd love to hear other guys' points of view (hint hint, nudge nudge).
Maybe Geoff or some of your other male readers will weigh in on this.

Wow. It is seriously interesting seeing the way readers see my characters. I hope I don't sound defensive as I defend Brian. (I'm used to people not liking Tess, but this is new for me.)
I like Tess, but frankly I'm much more forgiving of women than I am of men. I'll be interested to see both Geoff's and Susan's reaction to Tess.

To me, Brian's emotional/irrational side informs the rest of his behavior. Beating up his father wasn't cowardly or bullying; he didn't plan to do it or think about whether or not Rick would defend himself. He snapped.
IMO: Snapped=weakness. Emotional=unmanly. Beating up a defenseless man=bullying.

I'm sorry that I'm not seeing Brian as you intended, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of your book.

Where is everybody? Come on. Let's argue.

#7 ·
Jeff said:
I'm sorry that I'm not seeing Brian as you intended, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of your book.
That's what makes this such a fun profession, actually. A hundred readers will have a hundred different perspectives, because of their own experience and background.

Jeff said:
Maybe Geoff or some of your other male readers will weigh in on this.

...I'll be interested to see both Geoff's and Susan's reaction to Tess.

...Where is everybody? Come on. Let's argue.
What he said! ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.