Author Topic: Books on Board  (Read 578 times)  

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
Books on Board
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
Has anyone else signed up for an author account on Books on Board? I just got an email from them saying that they're using a company called ProseQuest to allow authors to publish on their site.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=author-services

I uploaded one of my books to test it out, and it's under review. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with them.

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Re: Books on Board
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »
I'm curious too. I wonder about their "imprints". I wish there was even the tiniest bit of actual detail about the marketing they offer.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
I think it was the ProseQuest site that said they don't do any marketing at all; you just upload your book and it hangs out on the site. They also said they do "free conversion," but uploading an epub was an option, so that's what I did.

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
They don't do any marketing unless you pay for it. Supposedly, they offer marketing packages for a fee. But what they are, how much and how being part of their imprints changes things, I have no idea.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline FictionalWriter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
I have my novella up there right now and I'm not impressed with them. I can find no way to change my price or see my numbers. It's coming across as more a fee service sort of deal, where they offer this and that to help you promote your book. I'm going to email them and have them pull the book down.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:13 AM »
Okay, color me confused.

I filled out an indie author/publisher app with BooksOnBoard a few weeks ago, and now I get something from ProseQuest.

I still have no login ID/password, so it's not clear what's going on.

Also, they are VERY dodgy about what "premium promotion" costs when they publish you through Travis Press.

Anyone here already "on board" with BooksOnBoard/ProseQuest who can full the rest of us in?

On the one hand, they seem a little bit like Smashwords, but on the other hand... they seem dodgy....
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King