Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Fire as a gift?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Me and My Kindle 
#1 ·
Would the Kindle Fire work as a gift for someone, that will not have an amazon account, and will just use the Fire as a Tablet?
Thanx!

#3 ·
#4 ·
I'd say. . . . .not so much. . . . .it's really a media consumption device -- books, movies, audio.  One can load one's own stuff as well, but that's going to be easiest to do via Amazon's cloud.

I actually was talking about the Fire with a friend last night who'd mentioned his wife thought that would be a good Christmas present for him.

I must confess I told him that I didn't think it was for him.  (I know -- I'm a dis-enabler. :( )  But here's the thing:  his preferred method of consuming media is lazing on his couch opposite his wide screen HD TV.  He doesn't read for pleasure hardly at all.  And already has an MP3 player for music -- which, anyway, he only uses for 'work' -- he's our choir director.  And is absolutely not likely to want to use it for answering email, etc. because he has pretty large hands and finds it hard to 'type' even on the full sized tablet (android based) he already has.  In fact I think he found a graffiti program to use with that.  When traveling he takes a laptop.  

But he'll probably want to see/play with mine when it comes.  I might even let him.  (This is the same guy who re-arranged my desktop when I let him borrow my computer. ::) ) And he might then want it just to have it. :D

#5 ·
Also, the Kindle Fire really doesn't have a lot of storage space. It's built to stream movies from Amazon (which you've purchased with your Amazon account). I guess you could just try to access video on YouTube.

But if you're doing it that way, you're really missing a lot of the convenience of having access to Amazon's big library of music, movies, and TV shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.