Kindle Forum banner

NYTimes on Fire?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any idea whether there will be an enhanced experience (i.e. color, videos etc.) for Kindle subscriptions of the NYTimes when viewed on the Fire? 

I don't have a NYTimes subscription on my Kindle.  I do have an iPad and I have a NYTimes digital subscription which I use on my PC and on the iPad, I just use the browser to view the Times's site.  I'm expecting my Fire to arrive on Thursday, and I'm giving my iPad to my partner. 

My NYTimes digital subscription costs $15 a month.  If I want to pay $19.98, I can have a Kindle subscription and the website subscription is then included for free.  So what I'd like to know is if the Kindle subscription on the Fire would be a significantly improved experience from simply navigating to the Times's website on the Fire with the Fire's browser.  If so, it might be worth paying $5 more a month for a Kindle Fire subscription.

#5 ·
Lee said:
After thinking about it, I realized that probably the best way to find this out is to purchase a single day of the NYTimes and have it delivered to the Fire, then open it and see what happens.
For any magazine or newspaper you get at least a 14 day trial. . .so you can try it out and see if you like it. I plan on trying a WIRED trial as soon as the Fire Newsstand is up. . . .the regular kindle newsstand may have the publications formatted differently. Some magazines give a 3 month trial.

#8 ·
I've been reading my morning Times on Kindle since it was first available (March of "08). It was not great but certainly doable and at a third the price of home delivery a buy.

Yesterday I read The Times on Fire. Wow! The improvement is awesome and that's more than the presence of illustrations/pictures. The arrangement, a bit clunky on the Kindle, works wonderfully on Fire. I think there will be a bit of learning curve so definitely give it more than a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.