Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Fire Software Update

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Betsy the Quilter 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I noticed that the notice says: If you'd like to manually download and install the software update on your Kindle Fire, follow the instructions below. Please note that you'll need a USB cable (sold separately) to transfer the update to your Kindle Fire.

What's up with that? I thought the USB cable (along with outlet adapter) was included with the Fire. :(

#3 ·
teralpar said:
I noticed that the notice says: If you'd like to manually download and install the software update on your Kindle Fire, follow the instructions below. Please note that you'll need a USB cable (sold separately) to transfer the update to your Kindle Fire.

What's up with that? I thought the USB cable (along with outlet adapter) was included with the Fire. :(
I'm pretty sure the Kindle Fire just has a wall charger. It has a USB tip but the cable isn't detachable.

#5 ·
teralpar said:

I think the USB cables we have for the K2/K3 will be compatible - or any USB cable with the micro USB connector.

#9 ·
I'm not sure I'd try charging with the eInk Kindle chargers - the Nook has a similar type charger (USB cable + wall adaptor) but the Nook Color has a much bigger, heavy duty wall adaptor, like the one for the Fire (but it is two pieces). 

#11 ·
Most of the tablets use a higher wattage to charge than the readers do. Nook and regular kindle charger are not high enough in wattage, or mah values to charge the tablets, hence why they come with their own chargers. Also, the tablet chargers cannot be used to charget the regular nooks and Kindles. Any USB cable with a micro/mini end can be used as a data cable to hook up to computer.

#12 ·
DYB said:
Do we have to update it manually? Or will it do it on its own once we turn the Fire on?
According to the link provided, if you have WiFi, it will download via wireless:
To update your Kindle, ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network and that your battery is fully charged. Tap the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner of your device, then tap "Sync." The software update will automatically download in the background and will be applied once download is complete and the device is asleep.
Betsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.