Kindle Forum banner

Email address for FIRE

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Lisa M. 
#1 ·
My Fire now has a serial number attached, but no email address. Do I have to derigister the Fire and then reregister it again in oder to add an email address, or is there another way. Thanks

Steve

#5 ·
With the advent of the personal document archive on Amazon, new devices no longer get their own email address.  Instead, you set it up for emails to go to the archive where you can designate which devices they are downloaded to.

Betsy

#6 ·
Or at least that was the announcement at one time...on release day.  I was able to set up an email address for one Fire, but not the other.  Don't know if it's changed.

Betsy

#7 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
With the advent of the personal document archive on Amazon, new devices no longer get their own email address. Instead, you set it up for emails to go to the archive where you can designate which devices they are downloaded automatically to.

Betsy
Are you sure? 'Cause my Touch and regular Kindle have different e-mail addys that I didn't pick out.

#8 ·
No, I'm not sure.  ;D  It was in a lot of flux.  But something changed the day the Fires were announced, one of my Fires got an email address, which I changed, and the other didn't.  We had a long discussion back and forth about it that day, people who tried deregistering and reregistering their devices had to use a "common" email address.

The Help screens online indicate that you should be able to have a email address for every device, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set one up for devices that don't currently have one.

Betsy

#9 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
No, I'm not sure. ;D It was in a lot of flux. But something changed the day the Fires were announced, one of my Fires got an email address, which I changed, and the other didn't. We had a long discussion back and forth about it that day, people who tried deregistering and reregistering their devices had to use a "common" email address.

The Help screens online indicate that you should be able to have a email address for every device, but there doesn't seem to be any way to set one up for devices that don't currently have one.

Betsy
I'm confused! ;) But I have never sent anything to my Kindle by e-mail so it probably doesn't matter! ;D

#11 ·
Sherlock said:
Ditto....I was wondering about the email address since it asks for that or a phone # if you want to buy apps using your computer. Would like to pick up the free app for today so I have it, but don't know how to do it.
Oh yeah, I guess we'll need e-mails for Apps for Fire. But Fires don't have an e-mail addy. Hmm...

#12 ·
You don't email the app to your device, you put your own email in, and then once you have the email from Amazon, it tells you what to do next.  I just read something about it...

Betsy

#13 ·
Here's the page online that talks about adding apps to your Fire/Android device from the App Store instead of through the device.

Apparently, once you put your email in, there's a "notification" in the App Store that you'll see when you open the App Store on your device.

Betsy

#15 ·
Bear in mind that I'm as clueless about the Fire as you are, just trying to figure things out until I have it in my hot, sweaty little hands.  :D  So I may have it all wrong, LOL!

Betsy

#16 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
With the advent of the personal document archive on Amazon, new devices no longer get their own email address. Instead, you set it up for emails to go to the archive where you can designate which devices they are downloaded to.

Betsy
I'm not sure the Fire will have its "own" email address. . . .but my Hedwig definitely got one when I bought it -- well after the kerfluffle.

I'm thinking, that the Amazon Appstore will be pre-installed. We'll have to enter our Amazon credentials and then can download any apps we've already purchased and/or purchase others. The Kindle reader function may work more like the android kindle app than the dedicated Kindle. On my Xoom, I have the Kindle App and I can use it to go to my archives, or buy books in the Kindle store, etc.

I'm not going to worry about it much because I'll know tomorrow -- but I think I'll go read the users' guide I d/l'd to my Xoom while I'm waiting. ;D

#17 ·
So maybe it's just Fires that they've changed.  One of mine has an email address, one doesn't.  I have to figure out which one is which, so I can keep the one with the email address.  ;D  I'm reading the user's guide on my iPad.  ;)  It doesn't really say much about it.

Betsy

#19 ·
LOL!  I'm not considering it a replacement for my iPad, rather a supplement.  ;D  I don't use the iPad for media much, that's what I want the Fire for.

Betsy

#20 ·
I called Kindle support and he said that I needed to deregister the Fire, and then rereegister it to set an email address, BUT, I don't know that I believe him. He did not seem to think that not being assigned an address was possible, and after he looked me up I had to ask him if I needed to deregister and reregister, and he said "oh of course". So I'm not sue that he had any idea what was happenening.  Was the first time I felt Kindle support was "lacking".

#21 ·
stevene9 said:
I called Kindle support and he said that I needed to deregister the Fire, and then rereegister it to set an email address, BUT, I don't know that I believe him. He did not seem to think that not being assigned an address was possible, and after he looked me up I had to ask him if I needed to deregister and reregister, and he said "oh of course". So I'm not sue that he had any idea what was happenening. Was the first time I felt Kindle support was "lacking".
Definitely doesn't sound encouraging with that particular rep. You should have told him some gibberish ("Should I discombabulate the parameters and reset the pram?") And if he said "Worth a try" you'd know he was making it up.

#23 ·
The two Fires we ordered have serial # but no email addresses.  The Touch has both a serial # and an email address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.