Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Kindle Fire FAQ  (Read 36245 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:48:46 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Kindle Fire FAQ
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »
How to Add a Playlist to Your Fire

From the Music page, tap on "Playlists."
Create New Playlist in orange, with an orange circle with a white plus sign.
Enter Playlist Name and click save.

A page with your playlist name on the top and a list of your music will appear.  You can select "Cloud" or "Device." There is a search field, too, which will search either the Cloud or your device, based on which you selected.  Note that, as far as I can tell, if you select Device, you can only add music to your Playlist that is already physically on the device, and if you select Cloud, you can only add music that is in the cloud. To create a Playlist that contains music currently on the Cloud and also music currently on your device, you must download the playlist first and then edit it to add the music from the device.  Or create the playlist on your device, then download more music from the Cloud and add it.  In other words, everything has to eventually be on the device.

There should be orange circles with plus signs to the right of each song.  If there isn't one, don't panic...the first time I did this, the circles didn't all appear, but when I scrolled slightly to refresh the screen, the one for the song I was interested in appeared.

Tap on the orange circle.  The song will become grayed and a white box "1 song added to [playlist name]" will appear.

When you're done, tap on the orange "Done" at the top.

Your playlist with its songs will appear and you can edit it to remove songs (click on the - on the right side, song is removed immediately) or add by tapping the Add button, which will bring you back to your song library to choose a new song. 

Note:  Tapping on the orange "Done" button or the "last" arrow will save the new playlist with the new song(s) and bring you back to the playlist.  You'll have to tap "Edit" again to get back to the Add/remove screen.

Also from the playlist screen, there is an orange "dowload" arrow icon.  If you press that you will get the message "Download Playlist--Would you like to download the "Lady Gaga" playlist?  Yes/No."  "Yes" will download the songs in the playlist to your device.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:00:20 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
How Do I Get the Latest Kindle Fire Firmware Update?

Link to Update and instructions

The above link will take you to the latest update and has instructions for installing the update wireless and also by USB cable. (currently 6.2.2).

The 6.2.2 updates the following:
This update enhances fluidity and performance, improves support for manually set up e-mail providers in the Email app, and offers a new full screen mode for viewing web pages. The update will be automatically delivered to your Kindle Fire.

The 6.2.1 updated the following:
We have a new, free over-the-air software update available for Kindle Fire. This update enhances fluidity and performance, improves touch navigation responsiveness, gives you the option to choose which items display on the carousel, and adds the ability to add a password lock on Wi-Fi access. The update will be automatically delivered to your Kindle Fire.

If you are not sure what software version you're running, tap the Quick Settings icon, tap "More," then tap "Device." If your System Version is "Current version: 6.2.1," you are running the latest software. If your System Version is "Current version: 6.0, 6.1, or 6.2" follow the instructions below to take advantage of all of the features available for Kindle Fire.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:00:37 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
Can I Add an External Keyboard or Use a Different Virtual Keyboard?

No....

In the current device, there is no bluetooth capability and the USB connectivity is to mount the Fire as an external device, not to add a external device to the Fire.

There is currently no ability to choose a different keyboard within the firmware of the Fire.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:00:53 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
Does the Fire have Text-to-speech as on eInk Kindles?

No.  It does not have this feature. 

However there are some apps that have a 'read to me' setting for documents other than Kindle books.  Two options are ezPDF Reader and Quickoffice Pro.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:01:10 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:28:30 AM »
How Do I Password the Lock Screen on the Fire?

The lock screen is the screensaver with date, time, and the yellow swipe banner.

To lock the Fire so that when the lock screen appears, a password is required to bypass it, you tap the gear in the upper right hand corner, then More > Security > Lock Screen Password > On. 

You are asked to enter a password of at least four characters.  Tap in the confirm password box and enter the password again and tap Finish.

Now, when you swipe the yellow bar, you'll see a translucent screen asking you to enter the password to unlock it.  Enter, then press OK.

(Interestingly, if you use all numbers, you get a telephone-style keyboard--with numbers only and letters grouped with each number.  If you use letters, you get a keyboard-style keyboard.)

To turn off the lock screen password, do the same thing:  Gear >  More > Security > Lock Screen Password > Off.  You'll be asked to use the password you set up.

If the screen is locked with a password, and you connect the Fire to a PC with the micro USB, the Kindle has to be awakened from the lock screen in order to connect.  So, if you have that passworded, the connection to the PC won't happen until the lock screen is cleared.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:01:36 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:46:02 AM »
Help!  My Books in the Cloud and Carousel Have Disappeared!

Just follow these instructions:

- click the settings gear at the top
- select More..
- select Applications
- select Filter by > All Applications
- click Amazon Kindle
- click the buttons "Force Stop", "Clear Data"

This restores all the books to the cloud.

In addition, deregistering and re-registering will work.  But try the above first.  Final thing to try is to restore to factory defaults.  Thanks to member BettyR for the above tip!

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:02:06 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
Does the Fire have 'collections' as on eInk Kindles?

Sadly, no.  Not at this time.

Under the 'books' tab, you can set it to show those in the cloud (all your books) or just those on the device.  And you can set it to list them according to title, author, or most recently accessed.

Under the 'docs' tab, which has your personal documents, you can order by title or by most recently accessed.

There are two apps that will allow collections, but if you try to access your books through either of the apps, you lose the ability to sync your location nor will the book will not open to the last location read; you have to enter the location you want to go to when you open the book.  Bookmarks are not saved, either. 

Edit: Here are the apps and a link to a conversation about collections:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,139237.0.html

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:31:13 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Help!  I upgraded to 6.2.2 and now Flash video won't work!

No problem.

The update to 6.2.2 switches the setting for Flash within the browser to "off." 

Within the web browser, tap on the "Menu" button (center button) > Settings > Enable Flash (you'll have to scroll down).

You can choose "On Demand" or "Always On"  instead of "Off."  "On Demand" will show an icon if a Flash video is available but will not play it until you click on it.

Also note that you can watch Amazon video from the Video tab, though the videos aren't sorted into categories the way they are on the website, so it may be more difficult to find the one you want. Amazon video works from the tab regardless of the Flash setting for the browser.

Return to FAQ index
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:58:25 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Why does Amazon ask me for a credit card number to purchase a free app for my Fire?

From Amazon's web site:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200551840

Why is a credit card required to purchase free apps?
You can use a credit card or a Gift Card with a valid balance (over $0.01) as your default 1-Click payment method. We ask our customers to enter a payment method for all purchases, including free items, to set up your Digital 1-Click settings. Since Amazon Appstore for Android is currently only available to U.S. customers, you must have a default 1-Click billing address within a supported geography.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
Can I Use This Charger?

Thanks to KB Member Morf for this excellent anser to the question:

How to decide whether a USB charger is OK to use:

You need to read the small print on the charger. It usually is small print, so if you're an old fa.. person like me, you'll need reading glasses or a magnifying glass!

A bit of background first. The numbers listed will be the Voltage and the Current.

Voltage

Voltage will be in volts (V). This can either be AC (this symbol ~), or DC (a little symbol that I can't type - a solid line above a broken line).

Current

Current will be written either in amps (A) or milliamps (mA). A milliamp is a thousandth of an Amp, so 1000mA = 1A, 500mA= 0.5A etc.

With me so far? Ok, let's look at what they mean. The charger will list input and output:

Input

The only thing that really matters on Input is the voltage. This must match the voltage and AC/DC of your supply.

US Mains is 110V AC.
UK/Europe Mains is 240V AC.
A car is 12V DC.

[For AC, the frequency is also relevant -50Hz or 60Hz - but if the charger matches your voltage it will almost definitely match your frequency.]

Output

This is the important bit.

Firstly, look at the voltage. It should be 5V DC or sometimes 5.5V DC. If it's any more or less than that, do not use it. You may cause irreparable damage to your Kindle.

Secondly, look at the current.

The minimum current should be is 500mA (0.5A).

All Kindle devices are designed to charge from a PC USB plug, which supplies 500mA. As long as your charger supplies at least this, it will work fine.

Some phone chargers are less than 500mA (I've seen 400mA). If you use one of these, you may damage the charger.

The maximum current? There isn't one. Your Kindle will only use as much current as it wants.

Be aware, though, that depending upon your Kindle model, it may take a long time to charge if the current is only 500mA. Amazon state http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201002760 that a Kindle Fire will take over 10 hours to charge from a 500mA supply, whereas it will charge in 3.6 hours from it's preferred charger (which I believe is 1.8A).

If you are using the Fire while it is charging, you may find that a 500mA charger is not enough to keep up, ie the battery will slowly discharge or stay at the same charge level.

High current chargers will charge faster, but only to a certain extent. A standard e-Ink Kindle's maximum current draw is about 800mA. For a Fire, if you want to use it at the same time as charging it, it can draw up to 1.3A or more. A higher charger current than the standard charger (850mA for e-Ink, 1.8A for Fire) will not charge any faster than standard.

--Morf

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »
What are Amazon Coins?  How do I use them?

Amazon coins are Amazon's currency with which you can buy apps, games or use for in-app purchases.  Each coin is worth a penny, so 100 of them equals a dollar.

For now, anyway, Amazon gives each new Fire owner 500 coins.  This is a one-time offer, so if you got 500 coins already (the program started in May 2013; current Fire owners at that time each received 500 coins), you won't get another 500 coins if you buy another Fire.

Currently, the promotion is set to expire December 2013; no word on whether Amazon will extend it.

Important:  Per Amazon, "Your 500 Amazon Coins expire on the last day of the calendar month one year after we give them to you (for example, promotional Amazon Coins we give you on May 15 will expire on May 31 of the following year)."  So if you got the 500 coins back when the program started and have been hoarding them, you have until the end of May next year to spend them.  (I know Ann spent hers right away!) 

You can also earn Amazon coins.  Coins earned through in-app or app purchases also have expiration dates.

Purchased coins have no expiration date.

You can purchase additional coins through the Amazon app store.  You get a discount, up to 10 percent, for buying them in bulk. 
If you buy:
500 (the minimum), you save 4%: cost, $4.80
1000, you save 5%: cost, $9.50
2500, you save 8%:  cost, $23
5000 or 10000 (max), you save 10%:  cost, $45 or $90 respectively.

Not all apps can be purchased with coins.  I had one app that I couldn't use them on.  You can purchase with coins through the App Store on your PC or, on any Fire except the original Fire.  If you want to use your coins for apps for your original Fire, you need to purchase the apps on your computer and send them to your Fire.

You will be given the option to spend coins or not.

For more on Amazon Coins, go here.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:05:07 AM »
What is Dropbox?  How can I backup my apk files from other sources?

Dropbox is a service that lets you access data on a cloud account from your PCs, laptops, and iOS and Android devices.  Many members have been using it for years to sync documents between devices and to do backups.  Once installed on your device, you will find that many apps give you the option of sending files to Dropbox to be shared.

Installing Dropbox

If you have apk files from other source, you obviously have allowed Apps from unknown sources.  If not, but you want to use Dropbox to back up documents and other items, then swipe down from the top and go to Settings > Applications > Apps from Unknown Sources > On.

Go to https://www.dropbox.com/android in your browser on your Fire to get the app.  Tap on the blue Download for Android button.  Say OK if/when it prompts you that the file must be downloaded.

Tap on the menu bar in the upper left hand corner of your browser and tap on Downloads.  You should see the Dropbox.apk file.  Tap on it to install it.  Tap on Next and then Install.  Open it.

On the first screen, tap Start, then create your account.  (If you already have an account, you can just sign in.)

OK, now you're set to back up your apk files!

Open ES File Explorer.  If you don't have ES File Explorer, you can get it here:

ES File Explorer will open to show you the contents of the /sdcard directory on your Fire.  If you've been downloading from 1mobile.com, one of those will be onemobile_download.  There is also a Downloads directory for files downloaded using the browser.  If you aren't viewing the /sdcard dirctory, navigate to it.

Press and hold on the first (or other file)  to be copied (any of them really).  It will highlight and the top menu bar will change to show how many you've selected.  You can tap on the four boxes in the upper right to select all of the apps in the directory.

Then, tap on "More" in the lower right hand corner.

Tap on Share, second item down.  Add to Dropbox should be one of the items.  Tap on that.

The Dropbox menu "Choose Location" should appear.  You can create a new folder and call it say, "Apk files," by tapping on the little grey folder icon to the right of Dropbox in the grey bar.  Once you tap create you will be automatically in that folder.  Tap on the green Add button.

If you now open Dropbox and go to the folder you created, you should see it uploading your files to Dropbox.  Once they are all there you're set!

Reinstalling apps from Dropbox.

Easy peasy.  Go to the folder with your apk files.  Tap on the apk you want to install.  It will open and ask if you want to install.

Hope this helps!

Betsy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:08:18 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
Prime Music

Prime Music is available for the Kindle Fire (2d Generation only), Fire HD and Fire HDX as well as Android and iOS devices who are members of Amazon Prime.  You can get a free 30 day trial of Prime. 

You must have at least the following firmware on your Fire.  If your firmware is older than the numbers below, you'll need to update the firmware on your fire before you can get Prime Music.

HDX 8.9: 14.3.2.3.2
HDX 7:  13.3.2.3.2.
HD 2ndG: 11.3.2.3.2
HD 8.9: 8.4.9
HD 1stG: 7.4.9
Fire 2G:  10.4.9

Once you do, Amazon will shortly thereafter unlock Prime Music on the device.  The following tips apply only to Prime Music on the Fire.  iOS and Android implementations are slightly different.

A quick user's guide to Prime Music (Fire OS) (Updated)

To access Prime Music, just tap on the Music tab on your Fire.  If it's been unlocked on your device, you'll see one of the screens below.

First you have to select music to add to your library. 

From this screen (which you get to by tapping on the Prime Music banner in the store or by tapping on Menu and then Prime Music in the sidebar menu):

you can add individual songs, playlists or albums to your account.  You can pick a genre by tapping on the "All Genres" under Prime Music in the upper left hand corner. 
* Tap on the blue +Add to add songs to your library. 
* Tap on a playlist and on the next screen, examine the songs--you can add them individually or tap on the +Add Playlist to Library
* Tap on an Album and on the next screen, like playlists, you can add songs individually or tap on the +Add Album to Library

You can search for artists, songs, album names or record label names (Smithsonian Folkways, for example).  To make sure you see only Prime results, after creating your search (text box in upper right), tap on "All Genres" under  the "Search Results, and then tap on Filter. Tap on "Prime Music Only."   The filter is not available until AFTER you've performed the search.

If you don't do this, the results you get are NOT only Prime.  You can pick out the Prime items by the Prime banner on the upper left hand corner of the album cover thumbnail and by the Prime icon next to $0.00 as the price. 

Once you've added some music to your library, it will appear mixed in with your music on your cloud.  Not on your device.

Tap on the Menu button in the upper left hand corner and you'll see this:

Tapping on Prime Music will take you back to the Welcome to Prime Music screen. 
Tapping on Prime Playlists will take you to available playlists.  Tap on a playlist to see what it contains and to add either the whole playlist or individual songs to your library.  Once you add a playlist to your library, it will be available through the Playlists menu option in your library and the music on it will be available in your cloud.

To Play Music

If you've added an album, tap on Albums then tap on Cloud.  Again, you'll be able to tell the Prime icons by the Prime banner in the upper left hand corner of the album thumbnail.  Tap on the thumbnail.  You can play all, play individual songs or download them to your device.

If you tap on Artist > Cloud, artists for which you have Prime music do NOT have a Prime banner.  But, if you tap on the artist, the albums with Prime banners will show as well as individual songs. You can choose an album or song to play from this screen.  (Individual songs have a little orange checkmark and a blue P if they are Prime.  You can choose an album or song to play from this screen.   Tap on the album cover to play or download the album, or you can tap on an individual song to play.

If you've added Playlists, you can tap on Playlists on the menu sidebar and you'll see any playlists you've created as well as the Prime Playlists, clearly indicated:

On any screen in your library (not the store), you can also press and hold on an album cover in your library to download it, add to a playlist (unless you're viewing your playlists) or remove from library.

What you see when you're browsing or searching (Fire OS).

When you're browsing the store, if songs are already in your library, it will tell you that.  Here's a result of a seach for Pete Seeger.  You can see songs that are already in my library and also how the album covers that are in Prime are marked.  If I click on a Prime album, I'll either be able to add it to my library, or in these cases, have a button to tap to see the album in my library.

Browsing Playlists (Fire OS)

(Note, this is on a Fire HDX--it works slightly differently on the iOS version and, I suppose, on the non-Fire Android version.)

When you're viewing Playlists in the store, you can select them both by category and genre.  Tap on Prime Playlists in the side menu to go to the Playlists in the Store (or get there from the Prime Music store).

Then, tap on the little dropdown menu below Prime Playlists.  You can select one of the options under Categories AND then choose a Genre.  Picking Artists, Classical gets you, well, Yo-Yo Ma.  Apparently not a lot of classical music lovers at Amazon. :D

Betsy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:51:59 AM by Betsy the Quilter »