Author Topic: Kindle Fire First Impressions  (Read 15659 times)  

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
Kindle Fire First Impressions
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
I just got my fire and I have to say I really love it.  It's definitely exceeded my expectations.  Once I connected to wifi - it welcomed me and started downloading the new software. 

My books were all on there, ready to go.  I opened the last one I was reading and discovered all the great fonts...

Georgia
Caecilla
Trebuchet
Verdana (my favorite)
Arial
Times New Roman
Courier
Lucida

Another bonus is it fit in my K3's Oberon Cover!  I'm so excited about that!

Nicole

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »
Since you are now the resident guinea pig... :) Did it start doing the update automatically? And did you pre-send books to your Fire? I'm wondering if those pending deliveries will interfere with an update

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:29 AM »
Yes, it started doing the update right after I connected to wifi.  The only books that were sent were the ones I had sent to it previously.  The others were in "the cloud."

I just watched a snippet of Grey's Anatomy and the video streaming is very nice.  The web browser is really fast - much faster than my ipad. 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
Moving this to the 'review' board. . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:13 AM »
What software version did it come with?  Did you have to download the update?

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
The software on it now is 6.1.  It automatically started downloading. 

Offline Alice Coyl

• View Profile
    • Coyl's Custom Creations
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
I just got my fire and I have to say I really love it.  It's definitely exceeded my expectations.  Once I connected to wifi - it welcomed me and started downloading the new software. 

My books were all on there, ready to go.  I opened the last one I was reading and discovered all the great fonts...

Georgia
Caecilla
Trebuchet
Verdana (my favorite)
Arial
Times New Roman
Courier
Lucida

Another bonus is it fit in my K3's Oberon Cover!  I'm so excited about that!

Nicole

Nicole, is it tight in your Oberon cover? I have one too and was afraid it wouldn't fit.

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Jason Letts's Blogathon
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
Shows what I know. When I saw Trebuchet I thought it was something more like this:

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
Nicole, is it tight in your Oberon cover? I have one too and was afraid it wouldn't fit.

I wish I had my camera, so I could take a picture.  It is a little tight, but still fits pretty nice I think.

Nicole

Offline TessM

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
does it have any apps (likeFacebook etc.) preloaded and that you didn't buy?
No pressure, no diamonds- Mary Case

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
Hoping for pictures, packaging and all!

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
does it have any apps (likeFacebook etc.) preloaded and that you didn't buy?

Facebook, IMDb, Pulse and Amazon were already in my favorites.  Also included is Contacts, Email, Gallery, Help & Feedback and I think Quick Office (not pro).  I got pro yesterday, so they are both on there right now.

Offline cleee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
Build quality is great. Doesn't feel like a lightweight plastic toy. Very easy to use. My books were all there ready for download. I downloaded one and the page was crisp and tight and I didn't make any adjustments.

I opened up a tv show from Amazon Prime streaming and picture was great.

I don't have anything in the Cloud as I don't buy music from Amazon but do remember a few weeks ago when I bought a couple of downloadable albums that it asked me if I wanted to play them in Amazon's Cloud Player. I chose No because I wanted to get the mp3s on my Ipod but will try to get those albums in there somehow.

The only real issue I have is with the sound. If the volume is all the way up, the volume is good, however, if you lower the volume even just a little bit (say 10%) the device is barely audible. I currently have the volume bar about 90% up and can barely hear anything. Upping it to full volume results in quite a jump in volume. I plan to use external speakers with it anyway so it isn't a big deal.

I LOVE being able to say "Get this App" and not have to authenticate each time.

I'm going shopping in the app store now...

Offline SamIam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
How easy is it to sync your email with it from hotmail?

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
How easy is it to sync your email with it from hotmail?

It's very easy to sync your email.  Just tap on the email app and then select your email provider from the list (hotmail is listed). 

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
That is interesting that it fits an Oberon K3 cover!  I had thought it might fit, but Oberon thought it would not.  I hope they get theirs today (unlike me) and can check it out. 

Also hope to  hear how it fits other covers as well.  But I do have a K3 cover that I love from Oberon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:52:25 AM by Seamonkey »

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline StephanieJ

• Lower Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
Is there a NetFlix app?  I know I read we can watch NetFlix on it, just wanna know! :D

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
Is there a NetFlix app?  I know I read we can watch NetFlix on it, just wanna know! :D

Not yet, but it's supposed to be coming in the future.  

ETA: I was able to sideload Netflix, along with a few other apps using this method....

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-kindle-fire
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:01:42 PM by Nickinev »

Offline Edge

• Spring, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
OK. First impression: "Wow, this thing is heavy for its size." The K2 and K3 have spoiled me in terms of device weight. The Fire is much, much heavier, but also feels much more solid. The Marware case is really nice, and the Fire fits into it firmly and snugly.

Turn device on: Screen is BEAUTIFUL! Setup wifi (found home network quickly) and connect by putting in password. A firmware update downloads immediately. I plug it in "just in case." I then notice it says "You might want to plug in your device..." lol

Update download complete, Fire turns off. I press power to turn it back on. Now it's updating much like the older Kindles do. I wait.

It says update complete and it reboots. I slide the slider and it looks like it's about to ask me for credentials when it pops to a new screen and welcomes me! It is already on my account! There is a very short 4 or 5 page tutorial to show you where things are on the screen. I do it and it seems as soon as I started the tutorial is over. Now I'm in the Fire's UI!

I flip through my books and decide which ones to download. I then go to music and download some music from my cloud. I go to test a movie: Super Troopers. It's really sharp and response very quick. Screen is great with amazing viewing angles.

I go into the Apps to download apps I've been getting for the past few weeks in preparation for my Fire. All of them install in the background.

I go to read my first book: it started at the beginning and not where I left off on my K3. I will have to sync the K3 to see if the Fire will pick up its location.

I still need to side-load a bunch of PDF's and other books I've acquired from places like BAEN.

All in all, I'm super-impressed with it. It feels high-quality; a lot better than Pogue gave it credit for.

The size is nice. I have a 10" Android tablet, and I feel the Fire is a much better size for media. I thought that the 10" size would be perfect since the iPad is 9.7", but it turns out the 7" really is better. At least so far.

Anyway, I have a lot more to discover and experience. I'll update more later.

To get Netflix (which I couldn't find in the Amazon App Store by searching) I typed this into the browser and got it installed: market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient

Offline BarbraAnnino

• Galena
  • Author of the Stacy Justice series
    • View Profile
    • Home of Author Barbra Annino
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »

I go into the Apps to download apps I've been getting for the past few weeks in preparation for my Fire. All of them install in the background.

How do you do this? I went to the app store and it seems geared to phones.

Offline monkeyluis

• Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
I like the fonts options too. Verdana is my favorite too. Facebook is not an app but rather a bookmark. I've only downloaded my current book, Steve jobs, and just quickly clicked around. It is heavier than I expected. But it's still fine. Just swiping around and stuff I really like it.

1st thing was to Connect to my wifi, then register, then the update started. I plugged it in while doing this. That's all there was too it. Very simple. I'll get into the software more later & get a few apps, a comic or two, etc. oh. I did click on music & there was all my music in the cloud. Pretty sweet.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
To get Netflix (which I couldn't find in the Amazon App Store by searching) I typed this into the browser and got it installed: market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient

From what I've read, the official-Fire-whatever-you-want-to-call-it Netflix app isn't released yet. Have you tried the one you dl'ed yet?

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
I received mine around noon (FedEx) and have been playing with it on and off since.  I agree that it feels like a very solid unit.  I had no trouble downloading updated software.  My kindle books were preloaded along with some apps.  I was easily able to download some additional apps, most of which were free.  ;D  I gave it a quick trial run of a Netflix streaming video.  Seemed to stream just fine.  I also rented a new release from Amazon videos (haven't watched it yet).  I was surprised that new release video rentals were $3.99 even for Prime members.  There are some free ones for Prime members but the selection is limited.  

I have an iPad 2 and my DH owns a Nook color.  That being said, I find the Fire very responsive and quick.  Apps loaded quickly as did the Netflix video.  The touch screen is very responsive.  I found it a little awkward to hold without a cover (my Fire cover is on the UPS delivery truck and will hopefully be here soon).  It is too wide for me to hold in the palm of my hand, although I would expect that most men could do so comfortably.  That leaves me with having to hold it on the left edge and try not to interfere with the touch portion of the screen.  I found that my hand cramped up in this position after a few minutes.  Thankfully, I have my CoylCushion to help with that.  ;)  And I would expect that my cover will help with holding it too.

Reading on the web seemed much easier on the Fire as opposed to the Nook Color.  Print on the Nook Color's web always seemed so microscopic.  Also, selecting text was often problematic on the Nook Color.  I always seemed to hit the wrong text by mistake.  The sensor always seemed slightly off and it was annoying.  Fire's touch seems a little more precise.  

I am very pleased with the Fire so far.  I am not a techie, so this is not much of a "review," but more of a first impression.  Hope it helps.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
An Amazon review (Dianne Socci) says there's no sideloading from Calibre because the old/regular USB cables won't fit. Can anyone confirm that?  :'(

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
From what I've read, the official-Fire-whatever-you-want-to-call-it Netflix app isn't released yet. Have you tried the one you dl'ed yet?

I downloaded the Netflix app and watched about 5 minutes of a streaming video.  I was slightly pixilated, but seemed to stream ok.  Maybe Amazon's Netflix app will be better?