NetGalley

Author Topic: Kindle Fire First Impressions  (Read 16542 times)  

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
Kindle Fire First Impressions
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:19 AM »
I just got my fire and I have to say I really love it.  It's definitely exceeded my expectations.  Once I connected to wifi - it welcomed me and started downloading the new software. 

My books were all on there, ready to go.  I opened the last one I was reading and discovered all the great fonts...

Georgia
Caecilla
Trebuchet
Verdana (my favorite)
Arial
Times New Roman
Courier
Lucida

Another bonus is it fit in my K3's Oberon Cover!  I'm so excited about that!

Nicole

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »
Since you are now the resident guinea pig... :) Did it start doing the update automatically? And did you pre-send books to your Fire? I'm wondering if those pending deliveries will interfere with an update

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:29 AM »
Yes, it started doing the update right after I connected to wifi.  The only books that were sent were the ones I had sent to it previously.  The others were in "the cloud."

I just watched a snippet of Grey's Anatomy and the video streaming is very nice.  The web browser is really fast - much faster than my ipad. 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
Moving this to the 'review' board. . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:13 AM »
What software version did it come with?  Did you have to download the update?

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
The software on it now is 6.1.  It automatically started downloading. 

Offline Alice Coyl

• View Profile
    • Coyl's Custom Creations
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
I just got my fire and I have to say I really love it.  It's definitely exceeded my expectations.  Once I connected to wifi - it welcomed me and started downloading the new software. 

My books were all on there, ready to go.  I opened the last one I was reading and discovered all the great fonts...

Georgia
Caecilla
Trebuchet
Verdana (my favorite)
Arial
Times New Roman
Courier
Lucida

Another bonus is it fit in my K3's Oberon Cover!  I'm so excited about that!

Nicole

Nicole, is it tight in your Oberon cover? I have one too and was afraid it wouldn't fit.

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • Jason Letts's Blogathon
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
Shows what I know. When I saw Trebuchet I thought it was something more like this:

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
Nicole, is it tight in your Oberon cover? I have one too and was afraid it wouldn't fit.

I wish I had my camera, so I could take a picture.  It is a little tight, but still fits pretty nice I think.

Nicole

Offline TessM

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
does it have any apps (likeFacebook etc.) preloaded and that you didn't buy?
No pressure, no diamonds- Mary Case

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
Hoping for pictures, packaging and all!

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »
does it have any apps (likeFacebook etc.) preloaded and that you didn't buy?

Facebook, IMDb, Pulse and Amazon were already in my favorites.  Also included is Contacts, Email, Gallery, Help & Feedback and I think Quick Office (not pro).  I got pro yesterday, so they are both on there right now.

Offline cleee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
Build quality is great. Doesn't feel like a lightweight plastic toy. Very easy to use. My books were all there ready for download. I downloaded one and the page was crisp and tight and I didn't make any adjustments.

I opened up a tv show from Amazon Prime streaming and picture was great.

I don't have anything in the Cloud as I don't buy music from Amazon but do remember a few weeks ago when I bought a couple of downloadable albums that it asked me if I wanted to play them in Amazon's Cloud Player. I chose No because I wanted to get the mp3s on my Ipod but will try to get those albums in there somehow.

The only real issue I have is with the sound. If the volume is all the way up, the volume is good, however, if you lower the volume even just a little bit (say 10%) the device is barely audible. I currently have the volume bar about 90% up and can barely hear anything. Upping it to full volume results in quite a jump in volume. I plan to use external speakers with it anyway so it isn't a big deal.

I LOVE being able to say "Get this App" and not have to authenticate each time.

I'm going shopping in the app store now...

Offline SamIam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
How easy is it to sync your email with it from hotmail?

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
How easy is it to sync your email with it from hotmail?

It's very easy to sync your email.  Just tap on the email app and then select your email provider from the list (hotmail is listed). 

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • TV Clubhouse
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
That is interesting that it fits an Oberon K3 cover!  I had thought it might fit, but Oberon thought it would not.  I hope they get theirs today (unlike me) and can check it out. 

Also hope to  hear how it fits other covers as well.  But I do have a K3 cover that I love from Oberon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:52:25 AM by Seamonkey »

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline StephanieJ

• Lower Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
Is there a NetFlix app?  I know I read we can watch NetFlix on it, just wanna know! :D

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
Is there a NetFlix app?  I know I read we can watch NetFlix on it, just wanna know! :D

Not yet, but it's supposed to be coming in the future.  

ETA: I was able to sideload Netflix, along with a few other apps using this method....

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-kindle-fire
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:01:42 PM by Nickinev »

Offline Edge

• Spring, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
OK. First impression: "Wow, this thing is heavy for its size." The K2 and K3 have spoiled me in terms of device weight. The Fire is much, much heavier, but also feels much more solid. The Marware case is really nice, and the Fire fits into it firmly and snugly.

Turn device on: Screen is BEAUTIFUL! Setup wifi (found home network quickly) and connect by putting in password. A firmware update downloads immediately. I plug it in "just in case." I then notice it says "You might want to plug in your device..." lol

Update download complete, Fire turns off. I press power to turn it back on. Now it's updating much like the older Kindles do. I wait.

It says update complete and it reboots. I slide the slider and it looks like it's about to ask me for credentials when it pops to a new screen and welcomes me! It is already on my account! There is a very short 4 or 5 page tutorial to show you where things are on the screen. I do it and it seems as soon as I started the tutorial is over. Now I'm in the Fire's UI!

I flip through my books and decide which ones to download. I then go to music and download some music from my cloud. I go to test a movie: Super Troopers. It's really sharp and response very quick. Screen is great with amazing viewing angles.

I go into the Apps to download apps I've been getting for the past few weeks in preparation for my Fire. All of them install in the background.

I go to read my first book: it started at the beginning and not where I left off on my K3. I will have to sync the K3 to see if the Fire will pick up its location.

I still need to side-load a bunch of PDF's and other books I've acquired from places like BAEN.

All in all, I'm super-impressed with it. It feels high-quality; a lot better than Pogue gave it credit for.

The size is nice. I have a 10" Android tablet, and I feel the Fire is a much better size for media. I thought that the 10" size would be perfect since the iPad is 9.7", but it turns out the 7" really is better. At least so far.

Anyway, I have a lot more to discover and experience. I'll update more later.

To get Netflix (which I couldn't find in the Amazon App Store by searching) I typed this into the browser and got it installed: market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient

Offline BarbraAnnino

• Galena
  • Author of the Stacy Justice series
    • View Profile
    • Home of Author Barbra Annino
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »

I go into the Apps to download apps I've been getting for the past few weeks in preparation for my Fire. All of them install in the background.

How do you do this? I went to the app store and it seems geared to phones.

Offline monkeyluis

• Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
I like the fonts options too. Verdana is my favorite too. Facebook is not an app but rather a bookmark. I've only downloaded my current book, Steve jobs, and just quickly clicked around. It is heavier than I expected. But it's still fine. Just swiping around and stuff I really like it.

1st thing was to Connect to my wifi, then register, then the update started. I plugged it in while doing this. That's all there was too it. Very simple. I'll get into the software more later & get a few apps, a comic or two, etc. oh. I did click on music & there was all my music in the cloud. Pretty sweet.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
To get Netflix (which I couldn't find in the Amazon App Store by searching) I typed this into the browser and got it installed: market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient

From what I've read, the official-Fire-whatever-you-want-to-call-it Netflix app isn't released yet. Have you tried the one you dl'ed yet?

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
I received mine around noon (FedEx) and have been playing with it on and off since.  I agree that it feels like a very solid unit.  I had no trouble downloading updated software.  My kindle books were preloaded along with some apps.  I was easily able to download some additional apps, most of which were free.  ;D  I gave it a quick trial run of a Netflix streaming video.  Seemed to stream just fine.  I also rented a new release from Amazon videos (haven't watched it yet).  I was surprised that new release video rentals were $3.99 even for Prime members.  There are some free ones for Prime members but the selection is limited.  

I have an iPad 2 and my DH owns a Nook color.  That being said, I find the Fire very responsive and quick.  Apps loaded quickly as did the Netflix video.  The touch screen is very responsive.  I found it a little awkward to hold without a cover (my Fire cover is on the UPS delivery truck and will hopefully be here soon).  It is too wide for me to hold in the palm of my hand, although I would expect that most men could do so comfortably.  That leaves me with having to hold it on the left edge and try not to interfere with the touch portion of the screen.  I found that my hand cramped up in this position after a few minutes.  Thankfully, I have my CoylCushion to help with that.  ;)  And I would expect that my cover will help with holding it too.

Reading on the web seemed much easier on the Fire as opposed to the Nook Color.  Print on the Nook Color's web always seemed so microscopic.  Also, selecting text was often problematic on the Nook Color.  I always seemed to hit the wrong text by mistake.  The sensor always seemed slightly off and it was annoying.  Fire's touch seems a little more precise.  

I am very pleased with the Fire so far.  I am not a techie, so this is not much of a "review," but more of a first impression.  Hope it helps.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
An Amazon review (Dianne Socci) says there's no sideloading from Calibre because the old/regular USB cables won't fit. Can anyone confirm that?  :'(

Offline Kindlechick

• My House
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
From what I've read, the official-Fire-whatever-you-want-to-call-it Netflix app isn't released yet. Have you tried the one you dl'ed yet?

I downloaded the Netflix app and watched about 5 minutes of a streaming video.  I was slightly pixilated, but seemed to stream ok.  Maybe Amazon's Netflix app will be better?

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
An Amazon review (Dianne Socci) says there's no sideloading from Calibre because the old/regular USB cables won't fit. Can anyone confirm that?  :'(

Any micro-USB cable should work. That's the same cable that came with the e-ink kindles. I haven't tried side loading yet. But it theoretically should work.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »
so how is the actual reading on it? Same as an iPad? Better?
I'm dying to know

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Nickinev

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
so how is the actual reading on it? Same as an iPad? Better?
I'm dying to know

I like it.  I really like using the Verdana font.  I think it's better than the iPad for reading.

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
  • Tea & Cake or death?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
Here is a link to my opening photos: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwKaoY2

Has anyone figured out how to start the update manually? I had a weak wi-fi signal so it couldn't get the update at work.

I downloaded the Netflix for Android app. In its description it said Kindle Fire. My video started off slightly pixilated, but cleaned up. (Fractured Fairy Tales - nothing HD)

The Fire is heavier than I expected, even seeing the weight in print and compared to other Kindles and tablets. Its heavier than it looks. The Fire booted successfully, knew who I was and was ready to go out of the box. Well, after getting the wi-fi setup which was simpler than I thought. (Work has a pretty secure wi-fi network which is why I didn't expect it to be easy.)

I've setup my Gmail account and have checked my mail, but haven't sent anything. But as far as apps go, they all seem to be what I have for my Android phone, just larger and optimized for the Fire.

I'll add more as I continue to play with it.
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 01:49:10 PM »
I just wanted to add that the hulu and netflix apps are in the appstore.  I clicked on the apps tab, and they are in the top free section.  So that's the quick easy way to download it.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
Also here is what I posted in another forum:

I received the kindle fire a couple of hours ago. Turned it on, connected to wifi, register to my amazon account. Then an update downloaded, didn't take long, but I plugged it in & let it sit because I was watching dexter. Lol.

I downloaded my currently reading book, Steve Jobs, which like any kindle device took under a minute.

The interface is beautiful.  I really like the design.  I think the update may have addressed some of the concerns and issues that some of the early reviews were talking about.  Honestly I have had nothing like what some showed.  It's fairly smooth and responsive.  No, not like the iPad 2, which I'm currently typing on, but it's nothing at all like the videos and reviews were mentioning. 

I downloaded the Pandora App, and it was quick and easy.  No problems at all.  I set up my email and it was very easy, just signed in to gmail and checked off a couple of settings and it was done within 15 seconds.  I even replied to an email.  I have to get use to the android keyboard, but it's fine.  It's a software qwerty keyboard.  Spacing is a little different for a 7in device, I've only had experience with my ipad and my iphone, so the in-between size is new for me.

Reading on it is very much like on the kindle for ipad app.  the only difference is you get a set of fonts, which is cool, similar to ibooks.  Page turns were quick and responsive, all of your normal settings are there, brightness, page type, font size, etc.

It's a little heavier than I expected, but of course not as heavy as my ipad.  No biggie as I usually have my ipad resting on my lap or sitting up on it's case. 

So overall I'm very impressed.  I think it's a great experience and look forward too using it more.

Hope this helps.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline SailorMerry

• North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • my fashion tumblr
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »
Ok, I just spent like twenty minutes in Best Buy playing with the demo unit and I'm sold. I love the form factor and I think it will serve my purposes very, very well. Unless my mom can convince me to give her my iPad, it is sold. Now that I have a functioning computer again (I originally bought it when I was between computers) I don't use it very often and never for the "heavy stuff" (word processing, etc.). I mostly use it for media consumption, which the Fire will do for me very well and in a more portable format.

And I found my demo experience to be very pleasant. The device is easy to hold, though I don't think one-handed reading would work very well over an extended period of time- touch screens are just not very conducive to it, imo. I found reaching my thumb over to turn pages while holding it one-handed to be awkward. That is one of my two main complaints about it- some side buttons would be nice. I wouldn't expect side buttons on a non-ereader based tablet, but as the Fire is still a Kindle, I feel like more thought should be put into the reading experience. Also, an exterior volume switch. Other than that, I was very pleased with the device.
SailorMerry

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 02:20:18 PM »
Is there a NetFlix app?  I know I read we can watch NetFlix on it, just wanna know! :D

Yes. . . .search 'netflix' on Amazon in the Appstore.  It's one of the results -- when I did it, it was the last one, which is odd.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

Can't speak to its functionality with Calibre, but the connector for the power cord is the same tip as the USB cord that comes with all other Kindles since the K2.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
Yes. . . .search 'netflix' on Amazon in the Appstore.  It's one of the results -- when I did it, it was the last one, which is odd.

It's in the top free apps too.  That's how I got it.  Along with Hulu.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
So where do we post our questions for all you lucky people???

Questions like:

--Can I download my iTunes songs onto it? (All my music is iTunes)

--Specs say battery life for video is 7.5 hrs...*wireless turned off*....doesnt wireless have to be on to stream video? Or are you supposed to download it onto your Fire, turn wireless off, then watch?

It seems like a good value for the $$, I just need a little push since I dont actually need one........and really want to have my music on there.

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
I. Love. It.  I posted a review on Amazon, but about 150 people beat me to it!

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
I got mine today.  I really like it.  Like others who have already posted, I haven't noticed any of the things the negative reviewers noticed.  The NYTimes website, which always seemed to load slowly on my iPad, seems to load quicker on the Fire.  E-mail set up was quick and easy.  The user interface is very simple, and that's a good thing.  There are really only two views -- the home screen with the carousel, and then the bookshelves showing all your content, and that's it.  When web browsing, scrolling and pinch-zooming seems to work smoothly.  I haven't been testing it for hours, but that's my impression so far.

One reviewer pointed out that there are fewer pixels-per-inch than the iPad, so the letters should look sharper.  I haven't actually read with it for any period of time.  I love my e-ink Kindle and I didn't like reading on the iPad so much, so I'm interested to see how it will be on the Fire.

One thing I love about this as compared to the iPad -- no iTunes!  I don't know how the iTunes program runs on Macs, but on PCs it's a big, balky, buggy program which is a pain in the neck.  I love the fact that the Fire lives independently of the desktop so I don't have to worry about maintenance chores.

I'm delighted so far!

Offline LauraElizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Well mine has been downloading the software for 35 minutes and is only to 80%....probably because of our pokey satellite internet (our only option out here).....I had never used a touch screen before but found it quite easy to figure out, at least the steps up to downloading.

I love the feel of the back.

I cannot wait to explore after it finishes.

EXCITED!

• Charlottesville, VA
  • Tea & Cake or death?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
So where do we post our questions for all you lucky people???

Questions like:

--Can I download my iTunes songs onto it? (All my music is iTunes)

--Specs say battery life for video is 7.5 hrs...*wireless turned off*....doesnt wireless have to be on to stream video? Or are you supposed to download it onto your Fire, turn wireless off, then watch?

It seems like a good value for the $$, I just need a little push since I dont actually need one........and really want to have my music on there.

Music: Yes you can. From the user's guide "Transfer it directly from your computer to your Kindle Fire via a micro-USB cable (sold Separately). Please note that only MP3 (.mp3) and AAC (.m4a) files are supported in your Music library."

When the Cloud Storage first came, I uploaded a bunch of my iTunes to "the cloud" so I could use the Amazon mp3 player. Those are still in the cloud and I can download those from the cloud to my Fire as well. That would probably take care of any file conversion needs, I'd bet. I don't pay attention to the file format, I only care if it plays. :)
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
  • 2015 Paperwhite | Kindle Keyboard | Fire HD6 & HD8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Even though I haven't ordered a Fire (yet), I'm interested to know everything about it!  Thanks to all for sharing your excitement, tips, and reviews!  It sounds like it's a great device.  :)
| Paperbacks | (golf e-books also available at Barnes & Noble, iBooks & Kobo)
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL >>> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
I've been playing with it for over an hour now. Here are my thoughts:

* It is so PRETTY! But thumbprint city, front and back

* It's heavier than I expected, & my wrists were aching after a few minutes (but this is a common issue for me). I find it hard to type in landscape, but super-easy in portrait, unless I'm switching frequently between letters and numbers.

* The update happened automatically when I first booted it up, and once it was done I found the books I'd sent to the Fire waiting for me. Wonderful!

* Apps are easy to get and install quickly. Netflix & Hulu+ are there now.

* The video clarity with both Amazon Prime free videos and Netflix is great! I wish the volume would go louder, though, and it needs a mute button. My Prime trial started automatically, apparently.

* The lack of external volume buttons is annoying, and the power button is annoyingly easy to bump. Fortunately, bumping the button just puts it to sleep, not off, as other reviews led me to believe.

* The email app is lacking. It's not as aesthetically pleasing or functional as the mail app on my iPod touch, but I can live with it.

I hope this helps some people. In conclusion, buy, buy, buy :) My SO played with it for a few & said he regretted canceling his order

Offline webhill

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
Not yet, but it's supposed to be coming in the future.  

ETA: I was able to sideload Netflix, along with a few other apps using this method....

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-kindle-fire

I don't know what sideloading is, but I opened the app store on the Fire, typed in "netflix android app," and then downloaded the app it displayed, and it works fine, so, whatever. I wouldn't call that sideloading. I'd call it downloading.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Kindle Fire First Impressions
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
I don't know what sideloading is, but I opened the app store on the Fire, typed in "netflix android app," and then downloaded the app it displayed, and it works fine, so, whatever. I wouldn't call that sideloading. I'd call it downloading.

I dont think the app was available in the appetite when that was listed. I got.my fire @ 530 EST & the app.wasn't there when I first looked, but has since appeared

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Offline JimC1946

• Atlanta, Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
If you're interested, here's my Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/product-reviews/B0051VVOB2/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar&pageNumber=5

Right now it's on page 5 of the 5-star reviews. It may move around a bit, but it should stay close to page 5.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Music: Yes you can. From the user's guide "Transfer it directly from your computer to your Kindle Fire via a micro-USB cable (sold Separately). Please note that only MP3 (.mp3) and AAC (.m4a) files are supported in your Music library."

When the Cloud Storage first came, I uploaded a bunch of my iTunes to "the cloud" so I could use the Amazon mp3 player. Those are still in the cloud and I can download those from the cloud to my Fire as well. That would probably take care of any file conversion needs, I'd bet. I don't pay attention to the file format, I only care if it plays. :)

Thank you Liz. I didnt know what format my iTunes were.

Offline Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 03:54:28 AM »
A few suggestions for concerns expressed thus far:

For worries about accidentally putting the device to sleep because the on/off button is on the bottom:  this one is easy.  Turn it upside-down!  The text will right itself after a second, and the on/off button will be on top.

For achy wrists from holding the device:  I got the Marware case, and it can fold into a stand, so you can prop it on your lap or a pillow in the perfect position for watching, browsing, reading, or typing.

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
  • Enjoy Life
    • View Profile
    • Special Reports & Books
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 03:55:20 AM »
What about the Fire's email address? The one for personal documents. Does that show up after you connect to the internet?

Power Kindle Books Marketing and Promoting

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 04:00:12 AM »
What about the Fire's email address? The one for personal documents. Does that show up after you connect to the internet?

It's listed in Manage My Kindle Devices section of your amazon account page.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »
I got mine today.  I really like it.  Like others who have already posted, I haven't noticed any of the things the negative reviewers noticed.  The NYTimes website, which always seemed to load slowly on my iPad, seems to load quicker on the Fire.  E-mail set up was quick and easy.  The user interface is very simple, and that's a good thing.  There are really only two views -- the home screen with the carousel, and then the bookshelves showing all your content, and that's it.  When web browsing, scrolling and pinch-zooming seems to work smoothly.  I haven't been testing it for hours, but that's my impression so far.

One reviewer pointed out that there are fewer pixels-per-inch than the iPad, so the letters should look sharper.  I haven't actually read with it for any period of time.  I love my e-ink Kindle and I didn't like reading on the iPad so much, so I'm interested to see how it will be on the Fire.

One thing I love about this as compared to the iPad -- no iTunes!  I don't know how the iTunes program runs on Macs, but on PCs it's a big, balky, buggy program which is a pain in the neck.  I love the fact that the Fire lives independently of the desktop so I don't have to worry about maintenance chores.

I'm delighted so far!

Technically all iDevices are independent of the computer now.  Just wanted to clarify.

Also the Kindle Fire is supposed to have a few more pixels per inch according to spec sheets.  When I was reading on it, the fonts did look sharper too me than on my iPad.  I do have perfect vision so I know my eyes were not deceiving me, lol.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline krm0789

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:28 AM »

Yes, mine did-- but it's different than my K3's. I set my K3 to FirstNameMiddleName@kindle.com. My Fire showed up as FirstNameMiddleNameLastInitial@kindle.com-- which is the same as my email address, so maybe that's where they got it from.

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
  • Enjoy Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 05:49:13 AM »
It's listed in Manage My Kindle Devices section of your amazon account page.

Yes I know, but mine doesn't have an email yet. Will be getting the Fire today. Wondered if it will show up when I connect.

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
  • Enjoy Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:33 AM »
Yes, mine did-- but it's different than my K3's. I set my K3 to FirstNameMiddleName@kindle.com. My Fire showed up as FirstNameMiddleNameLastInitial@kindle.com-- which is the same as my email address, so maybe that's where they got it from.

OK, I see. Thanks

• Charlottesville, VA
  • Tea & Cake or death?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »
I've got random numbers following my name for the email address.

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
  • Flight #1623
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:31 AM »
The EMail addresses can be changed, just like your Kindle name from the manage your device page at Amazon, personal documents settings..  I don't think there are any restrictions, as long as you pick an address that isn't already taken.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:51:33 AM by JetJammer »

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
A few suggestions for concerns expressed thus far:

For worries about accidentally putting the device to sleep because the on/off button is on the bottom:  this one is easy.  Turn it upside-down!  The text will right itself after a second, and the on/off button will be on top.

Yes.  Because, after all, what is "top" and what is "bottom".  For that matter, what is "sideways". :D

You've gotten some answers. . .yes, once you get connected your email address for the Fire will appear.  It will be based on the address you have with Amazon with numbers after it to make it unique.  You can then change it on MYK and there don't seem to be any restrictions except that it has to be something not already taken.  Then the next time you sync the Fire it will update.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Lambert

• Michigan
  • Enjoy Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »
Just got my Fire about 11:30 here in Michigan.

Plugged it in to charge. Turned it on and connected to WiFi.

Selected EST(time zone) and pressed connect.  It just stopped there and wouldn't continue.

Thinking it may need to be charged all the way first.

Offline Edge

• Spring, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:03 AM »
I did a video review of the Fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn2kza50Z8w

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
Just got my Fire about 11:30 here in Michigan.

Plugged it in to charge. Turned it on and connected to WiFi.

Selected EST(time zone) and pressed connect.  It just stopped there and wouldn't continue.

Thinking it may need to be charged all the way first.

probably a good idea. . .especially as one of the first things it will do is download a software update and it needs a full charge to do that.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline mark1529

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
The Fire that I ordered was for DH.  But I got home and found that he had gotten one for me too!!!  So I had been playing with it for a few days now.  I really like it.  The form factor is nice - it feels like it's solidly made but I can hold it in one hand. 

It does have a highly modified version of Android and the user interface is really different so if you go in expecting it to act like your Android phone or tablet, you will be disappointed.  I am mostly upset at the lack of customizing options for the input methods - you are stuck with their keyboard and you can't turn off stupid autocorrect...  It's also impossible at this time to delete the built-in apps even if you don't want them and I am not crazy about the carousel thing that takes up most of the screen real estate but I am learning to look past it.

The display is beautiful and the sound is pretty good.  The streaming videos from Amazon Prime are amazing - even with all the stuff in our house using the network, there were no stutters at all in the feed.  I did go ahead and purchase a few favorite movies and load them on the Fire so I can watch them even when I am not connected. 

A few minor quibbles with the design that echo what others have said - why no volume controls?? Physical buttons would have been much easier to use than the slider on the screen which does not show up in some games, by the way.  The power switch is too easy to bump.  I think having it in a case will help.  And yes, you can turn it upside down until you get an app that insists only one way is up!  So far Words with Friends and Cut the Rope have forced me to hold it right-side-up.

I haven't played much with the book part other than to load a few, change the background to the sepia tones and select Trebouchet as my font.  I am really not interested in reading for long periods of time on a backlit screen.  And I have a bit of a distraction problem trying to read on a tablet - I have to check email, FB, play games, install apps, listen to music, etc.  My mindset is not right for losing myself in a book.  If I am going to read for long periods of time, I will pull out an e-ink Kindle and use that.

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
I am mostly upset at the lack of customizing options for the input methods - you are stuck with their keyboard and you can't turn off stupid autocorrect...

Andra, how nice that your husband surprised you with a Fire!!!

I don't have a Fire, so I can't test this, but on pages 15-16 in the Kindle Fire User's Guide (Chapter 4, "Settings") it mentions that there are three keyboard settings that you can turn on/off: sound on keypress, auto capitalization, and quick fixes. I believe that may be the autocorrect feature that you don't like, but I'm not sure. Tap the Quick Settings icon on the Status Bar (upper right of screen) and then tap on "More" to get to the keyboard settings.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:15:38 PM by DreamWeaver »
FREE borrows for Kindle Unlimited & Amazon Prime KOLL >>> Dust Bowl Justice | Lotto: Blood Money | The Diamond Traitor

Offline TessM

• NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 03:48:54 AM »
I love my Fire so far. I do need to get a case (it's too thin-my hand starts cramping).  It streams music from the cloud flawlessly. Video streaming from Prime is great and I just borrowed and furnished The Hunger Games from the lending library. I don't really like that the period is rightnext to the spacebar on the keyboard.
No pressure, no diamonds- Mary Case

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
  • Flight #1623
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
I don't really like that the period is rightnext to the spacebar on the keyboard.

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that!  I can't tell you how many times I've looked up to see something I typed has periods instead of spaces.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline monkeyluis

• View Profile
    • Goodreads Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:40 AM »
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that!  I can't tell you how many times I've looked up to see something I typed has periods instead of spaces.

I keep trying to double tap the spacebar like in iOS where it adds the period.  LOL.. Grrrrr.
Have ebooks, will read.

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
I bought the fire for my hubby for Christmas and I have two questions.  Say we take this somewhere with wifi.  Can we hop on other wifi spots?  Also, I know he's not going to want my kindle library.  But if I delete them from the fire, will they be deleted from my K3?  Thanks if anyone knows the answers!

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »
I bought the fire for my hubby for Christmas and I have two questions.  Say we take this somewhere with wifi.  Can we hop on other wifi spots?  Also, I know he's not going to want my kindle library.  But if I delete them from the fire, will they be deleted from my K3?  Thanks if anyone knows the answers!

You can use wi-fi devices anywhere there's a wi-fi hotspot - you may have to pay though most will be free. Sometimes, like at a hotel they will just tell you the password you need, others you have to log into via the browser.

You Amazon books remain in your archive whether downloaded to a device or not. You can download to one or several devices at the same time (depending on the licences available - usually abour six on most books). Removing any you've downloaded to one device won't delete them from any other device.

"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Lisa Scott

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2011, 04:16:50 AM »
You can use wi-fi devices anywhere there's a wi-fi hotspot - you may have to pay though most will be free. Sometimes, like at a hotel they will just tell you the password you need, others you have to log into via the browser.

You Amazon books remain in your archive whether downloaded to a device or not. You can download to one or several devices at the same time (depending on the licences available - usually abour six on most books). Removing any you've downloaded to one device won't delete them from any other device.

Thanks so much! 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
One thing about the fire:  the main interface on  the home page is the 'carousel' and, at this time, it basically shows ALL content on the account to which the device is registered, whether downloaded to the device or not. 

So:  if his fire is registered to YOUR account, yes, he'll see all your books in the carousel.

BUT:  if he goes to 'books' he can choose to see just what's downloaded to the device.

Also, it is possible to load apps from elsewhere than Amazon; among those apps are some other 'launcher' programs that eliminate the carousel and make the screen look more like a generic android. . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Valerie Zambito

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 06:25:24 AM »
Did not read through all the posts and this might have already been said.  Absolutely love the Kindle Fire, but do not like the fact that I cannot manage the carousel.  I do not want all of my web searches and books made available for anybody who picks up my Kindle.  Hope they fix in the future. 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:25 AM »
Turns out there is a way to modify the carousel a bit; see this post:  http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,92718.msg1445618.html#msg1445618

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Valerie Zambito

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2011, 06:43:18 AM »
Thank you, Ann!  I will take a look.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I didn't have a huge amount of luck with that technique.. . .was able to remove some apps. . . .but nothing else. :-\

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Marlina

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »
I don't have any impressions yet, however my Kindle fire is in the mail!!! I will be back with my review..And this is my first post!!
I love my kindle more than my Husband.Is it normal?

Offline DreamWeaver

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
I don't have any impressions yet, however my Kindle fire is in the mail!!! I will be back with my review..And this is my first post!!

Welcome to Kindle Boards, Marlina! I hope you will enjoy your new Fire!

Offline Shastastan

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
That is interesting that it fits an Oberon K3 cover!  I had thought it might fit, but Oberon thought it would not.  I hope they get theirs today (unlike me) and can check it out. 

Also hope to  hear how it fits other covers as well.  But I do have a K3 cover that I love from Oberon.

I had one of the Belkin zippered covers from my K2 which I'm now using for the Fire.  There's enough room on the side to carry a stylus inside also.  You need to put it in a sleeve so as not to scratch the screen though.  I had always liked the Belkin cover because of the full protection provided by the zipper and padding.  Glad I kept it after getting an Oberon for my K2.
The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.

Online luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
The fire is a great device. Love watching videos and shows on it. Great for prime shows. My daughter watched movies all day, and she has an iPad. Great device to take advantage of prime.

Offline Fantasy_Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
I use Amazon instant streaming and Netflix both.