NetGalley

Author Topic: Couple of minor nitpicks...  (Read 3714 times)  

Offline Slygrin

• View Profile
Couple of minor nitpicks...
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
I got my fire yesterday and after playing with it for a while I have a couple of minor complaints.

Book organization. I was really hoping we would have the ability to make sub-folders to group/organize our books. I was never really happy with my K3's minimal organization ability. The fire seems a step backward without even the ability to group in categories. Granted, with the sort options and search it's not like I won't be able to find any book I'm looking for. Not a show stopper by any means, but I still would like to group my books by genre, author, series, title.

The other issue has already been discussed in other threads but while I'm whining I might as well add it.

I'd like to filter the main carrousel. I don't really want to see everything in my archive. I know I can utilize the favorites, which I do. It just feels like information overload.

On a better note, I watched a streaming movie last night and it was great. I have a fairly slow Internet connection and it didn't hang up or stop to buffer like some other streaming services do for me. So far I'm giving the Fire a 8 out of 10.

Offline ireadbooks

• View Profile
Re: Couple of minor nitpicks...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
The fire seems a step backward without even the ability to group in categories. Granted, with the sort options and search it's not like I won't be able to find any book I'm looking for.

I won't be receiving my Fire until Christmas *insert sad face* so forgive me if this is a silly question, but how exactly do you categorize your books? What are the sort options available?
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."  -Oscar Wilde

Offline Slygrin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
I won't be receiving my Fire until Christmas *insert sad face* so forgive me if this is a silly question, but how exactly do you categorize your books? What are the sort options available?

On the Fire you can sort Books By Author, By Recent & By Title.

In the Docs section you can sort By Recent or By Title.

Offline Slygrin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
In my post above I meant collections instead of categories. I didn't have all my caffeine yet when I typed that.

Offline Shastastan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:56:52 PM »
Some more nitpicks.....

Sometimes letters will not enter from the touch keyboard no matter how you try to tap, push, etc.. Other times they go in if your finger is just close to the key.

Some apps, web pages, etc.. can be zoomed and others cannot. 

Battery never shows as being 100% charged.  Mine only goes to 96%

Web page viewing history shows as pages.  I would prefer the old style list.  I do like the pages for bookmarks though.

I'm really not sure what the carousel is for.  I tried tapping on some items in it and nothing happens.  The only use for it for me so far has been to select favorites.

This isn't the Fire's fault but you can't always count on all wifi's to work consistently such as in motels.  Just sayin...

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
  • Tea & Cake or death?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:21:46 AM »
This isn't the Fire's fault but you can't always count on all wifi's to work consistently such as in motels.  Just sayin...

I don't know. This is the only device I've had that I'm constantly having to remind it where the network is. My laptops, cell phones and regular Kindles have never had this issue.
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Shastastan

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Couple of minor nitpicks...
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:04:07 AM »
I don't know. This is the only device I've had that I'm constantly having to remind it where the network is. My laptops, cell phones and regular Kindles have never had this issue.

That's not a problem for me.  We just got back from a trip and our network came up fine and we were on 3 other networks on the trip.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.

Offline Marie-Nicole Ryan

• Western KY
  • Believe in the dream... Beware the danger.
    • View Profile
    • Marie-Nicole Ryan, Romantic Suspense Author
Re: Couple of minor nitpicks...None with mine.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
I received the Kindle Fire as a present from my sister. It's an upgrade from my old Kindle V1, and I'm in love with the Fire. Compared to my mother's Nook Color, it works seamlessly.
Marie-Nicole

Offline TEF

• Garland County, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
I've had my 3G/WiFi Kindle for over a year now and then got the Fire.  I really like the Fire and now use it 95% of the time.  I'd have to dig deep to nitpick but I would like to make collections for the books (you can do playlists for the Music) and I would like to take some of the supplied APS like Facebook off of the device.
Ted

Offline SamIam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »
Had some of the same issues you did

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac