KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: How's your writing going?  (Read 5525 times)  

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
How's your writing going?
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
If there's anything I've learned lately, it's that writing more is the #1 way to make more money at writing. (Should be a big "duh," huh?) So I'm spending less time trying to market and more time writing these days. :D

How's your latest project going? What are you working on? What are you going to release next?

Currently, I'm taking a break from a book to write a novelette prequel to Death's Hand. It's going AWESOME. I'm almost done with the rough draft, and depending on how speedy my beta readers are feeling, I hope to publish it in a couple weeks.

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: How's your writing going?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Beautifully, thank you.

I'm 4800 words, 15 pages into my latest novelette, and I'm very pleased with it.

I have 11 more novelettes and novellas completed and just waiting on editors and beta readers so I can decide when to launch them. Artwork is all picked out for covers, too, although only two of the covers are done. Two blurbs are written but that leaves me nine more to do. <sigh>

Ooops, almost forgot to publish a new one on Smashwords today. Better get that done so it gets to the premium outlets before Christmas. I'm trying to knit a ton of hats and scarves before Christmas, too, and sometimes my fingers forget which they are supposed to be doing.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Sean Patrick Fox

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
Wish it was going a little faster, but bit by bit it's getting there.

Offline George Berger

• no longer welcome here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
I'm 30,000 or so words into what originally was supposed to be a 5,000-word short story. Whoops. (And no, it's written in a quite normal fashion, rather than that gloriously verbose style, flowery as a rippling field of rape in the spring, which pads and extends one's word count magnificently while being delightfully exciting fun to write but not, alas, nearly so pleasurable to be on the receiving end of, regrettably.) It's a bit slow going, because it's a very dark and broody romance novel, and because I keep replotting the ending, which I hadn't originally worked out in much detail.

Slow and steady wins the race. Not that it's a race, or I'm competing, or anything. Even if there is a deadline.

I just released my latest novel for the Kindle this week, and I'll have a short story out in mid-January. With any luck I'll have the current WIP done in time for a mid-February release, and then... probably the werewolf jihadi novella, for a (hopefully) March release. After that I'll desperately pray for inspiration from some of the cover art I've bought and don't have stories to go with, yet...

Offline Remi Michaud

• View Profile
    • Realms of Fantasy
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
Not bad. I've got about 60,000 words in on the conclusion to the Rites of Ascension trilogy before running headlong into a wall. I couldn't decide how to get around the wall so I took a break to start a fantasy satire that's been kicking around in my head for a while...which has about 10,000 words so far.
The break has allowed my ideas to percolate; I think I'll head back to Rites of Ascension.

Offline Nicki Leigh

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Not too bad.

I'm still waiting until the end of the month to edit Endarkened Touch, so today, I've been writing blog entries for the new website launch later this week. Trying to rebrand myself a little better, now that I kind of know what I'm doing :)

Congrats on the word count, everyone.

Offline modwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
I am a chapter and a half from finished this blasted WIP, and I need to get off the Internets   :D.
One author who began here.  Thanks Harvey.

Offline SBJones

• View Profile
    • SBJones Publishing
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
I haven't written anything new in about 2 weeks.  I have my second novel titled "Guardian" going live on the 15th.  I have been busy with that.  I plan to get back to writing after the holidays and I can get over the addiction of checking my sales of the new book every 2min.

Offline Benjamin A.

• Beaverton, OR
    • View Profile
    • Magic Jar Publishing
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:29 PM »
I just announced my newest project on my blog today. About 40k into the first book of a new series I'm writing. I'm halfway through writing the second book in my current series too. I'm pretty excited with the first draft of two more books both coming along well.  ;D
Rift of Askrah series: Free! $3.99

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
  • Author of 25 Published Books
    • View Profile
    • Dancaster Creative
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »
Working on the 5th book in the Jade Owl series (In the Shadow of Her Hem) - due out mid-Spring. A Book of Narrative Poetry on WWII (Pacific Crimson - Forget Me Not) - due out early Spring. Working on a complitation of my father's letters to my mother during WWI and mine to her during the Vietnam Era, with annotations (Dearest Flower of My heart - Mail Call from Two Generations). A SciFi work, my first, Belmundus, which has been in the works since 1998 due out end of the year 2012. Also in progress are the last two books of the Southern Swallow Series (The House of Green Waters and Vagrants Hollow) and a corporate urban fantasy called Green Folly. That'll bring me up to an even 2 dozen books out there - and the beat goes on. I'm not getting any younger, you know  ;D and, in the words of Hillel - "If not now, when?"

Edward C. Patterson
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:52:58 PM by Edward C. Patterson »

Offline cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
I don't usually write anything new in December as I am always recovering from NaNoWriMo. However, much to my surprise (and slight annoyance, in fact) I got an idea for a new series - not even just one novel, it had to be something that would run on and on! - the morning after I had written 'The End' on my NaNonovel.
I've managed to turn this into a benefit by using my newfound characters to populate a romantic short story I suddenly remembered saying I would write for Valentine's Day, so I have started hand-writing the story this month. After Christmas will be soon enough to type it into the computer.

Offline momilp

• per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
    • Monica La Porta
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »
Almost finished writing (90k in) the third in a trilogy, and, crossing fingers, the first in the same trilogy should be out before the end of the year, or soon after.

Offline Judi Coltman

• Each day is an opportunity
    • View Profile
    • Judi Coltman Author Blogger
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm in 11,000 words but had an epiphany and story turnaround so am now rethinking it all.  Part of the process!
Words written:63,00074,000Lost Count
Units sold:3,20037,000Stopped Checking
Miles Run:038242

Online BiancaSommerland

• Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Im-No-Angel
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »
Busy with promo for my two latest releases. But I'm itching to get back to writing! I agree writing should take priority, but it's a balance, you know?

Step up to The Edge
Bianca Sommerland | website | twitter | facebook

Offline Gregory Lynn

• View Profile
    • Tales From The Mad Monk
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
I am trying to write a short story/novella that is the backstory of a novel I want to write someday while also plotting out my first novel and reading what has so far has been a very good read on story architecture.

It's going fine except that I didn't get squat for sleep last night (still awake at 7AM, YAY!) so forming a coherent sentence is a little tough at the moment.
Will edit for food Tales From The Mad Monk.

Offline Danielle Kazemi

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Danielle's Facebook Fan Site
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »
40k in on a new PNR hopefully to come out this summer. I have three full length sans covers waiting, three more novellas for my series, and trying to pound out in my mind another new novella idea. Busy me.
Free:
Danielle Kazemi | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Seanathin23

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 03:13:06 PM »
I'm working through edits on the first book in a thriller trillogy, then I have edits on the action side project that I wrote while waiting for the edits to come back. Then I've got to finish writing and edit the second book in the thriller trilogy that I worte for NaNo.

So very little writing latly but lots of editing.

Offline Cheryl Douglas

• View Profile
    • www.cheryldouglasbooks.com
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
I'm working on two projects simultaneously right now. One is the fourth in a six book series and the other is the first in a three book novella series. I try to average 1000 words per day on each. So far, I'm meeting my targets. I hope to release all nine books in 2012.   :)

Offline Krista D. Ball

• Edmonton, Alberta
  • Hybrid Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Follow the adventures of a fantasy author
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
How's your latest project going? What are you working on? What are you going to release next?

1. Latest project sucks the sour lemon. Determined that nearly 20,000 words are missing (even from the backups) and now manuscript will not be to the publisher by Dec 31 as I had planned.

2. See #1. I also have a non-fiction book that's due next summer, so I'm planning to start that in January. I've just putting on the final line edits and whatnot on a paranormal fantasy novella, first in a series.

3. Publisher just released my SF novel. I'm about to release my paranormal fantasy novella. Have another novel releasing w/ pub in April. Have another novella self-pubbing in June-ish. Have non-fic book releasing w/ pub in Nov-ish. Have novella self-pubbing next Dec-ish.

That's the current schedule.

Krista D. Ball

Offline soofy

• London
  • Belvan Life
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
I have taken a bit of a break to edit and format my book in it's five parts. But I am also in the "conceptual" stages of writing a follow up. This consists of randomly drifting off into deep thought about characters or scenes and when I get the chance jotting them down on my blackberry notepad (usually to and from work) then typing them up later. Eventually it will all get compiled into something coherent. I'm taking my time though; savouring the feeling of actually completing a book. The next part of my book should be up when my first part gets onto the premium distribution on SW.
Author of the epic military fantasy novel - Drawn Breath

My Blog

Twitter

Offline Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
I'm in the middle of the sequel to A Heart in Sun & Shadow and I think it is going pretty well.  I think I finalized my outline for the latter half of the book yesterday, so it should be pretty smooth sailing from here. 

I made the cover my desktop to help inspire me. I think it is one of my favorite that I've had made so far:

(because every thread needs a bit of cover pr0n, right?)  ;D

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »
How's your latest project going?

Fine, thank you. And yours?

What are you working on?

Something crazy and totally unrelated to anything I've written before (that's what makes it so crazy).  ;)

What are you going to release next?

I wish I knew. I've been rewriting a couple of my older works (epic fantasy) but haven't even begun editing and am still waiting for an update on the cover art (I got fancy and hired an illustrator for these). Both books will be around 80K (if I can cut them enough) and I don't even want to think about the odds of them earning back the investment in editing and covers. Pretty slim, I suspect.

I've also got a couple more of my Victorian mystery novelettes in the works but nothing near completion. And finally, one of my publishers has given me the go-ahead to self-publish a print version of a title they still hold the e-rights to. I'm strongly tempted, because it's a story I love and would enjoy improving before putting out again. But I'm trying to be smart and remember ebooks are what's selling for me right now. From a financial viewpoint, I can't justify taking time away from my ebook projects to work on something that'll only be available in print and so would probably only sell a handful of copies per month. Oh, but I want to though ...

Offline John H. Carroll

• Colorado
    • View Profile
    • The World of Ryallon
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
I'm working on my fifth novel and have about 35,000 words so far.  It's fast paced and I'm enjoying it. :)
I discuss writing on my blog

Writer of books, friend of emo bunnies

Offline Holly A Hook

• Swartz Creek, MI
    • View Profile
    • HollyAnneHook
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Working on the third Destroyers book, as well as a novella I have a feeling I might never finish, as I'm very stuck on it.

Offline Karen Wojcik Berner

• View Profile
    • Karen Wojcik Berner
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
Good luck with your WIPs, everyone.

I am finishing up Book 2 of my Bibliophiles series, which will be released in March. I also have been writing fifteen guest blog posts for the "A Whisper to a Scream (The Bibliophiles: Book One) WOW! Women in Writing Blog Tour, which has started up this week and will run through January 14.

Contemporary Fiction with a Sprinkling of the Classics
Karen Wojcik Berner | website | blog | facebook | twitter | Google+ | Goodreads

Offline Capitalist

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
Working on my first (of many, hopefully).  I'm about 37,000 words into it, but I only started it two weeks ago so I feel good.  It's definitely hard to maintain that sort of pace as a newbie.  My goal is to have the first draft finished by Jan 1, then edit edit edit and start writing #2. 

Offline BrianKittrell

• View Profile
    • Late Nite Books
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »

Slow, slow, slow!! My God is it slow. Slow as molasses on a snowy Christmas morning. Why did you have to ask? Why are you badgering me?! I'm on a deadline here!! *runs screaming into the night* ;D
- Brian Kittrell, Late Nite Books | Twitter | Facebook
|
Coming Soon: Stasis (Panacea #2) | Author pages: Amazon