Author Topic: Amazon Kindle Support (all models) & General FAQs  (Read 24425 times)  

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Amazon Kindle Support (all models) & General FAQs
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:35:18 AM »
Thanks to Linjeakel for this contact page that I cribbed from the Kindle 3 FAQ's.  Links on this page apply to all Kindles.

For reference: Amazon Kindle support pages

Amazon US
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinc_9?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinh_8?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200487800

Amazon Germany
http://www.amazon.de/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinc_7?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200594410

Amazon Kindle Customer Support contact details

Amazon US
In the US: 1-866-321-8851
International: 1-206-266-0927.

Amazon UK

In the UK: 0800 496 2449
International: +44 203 356 6212

You can also get CS to call you back or email them click on Contact Us on the right hand side of the main support page.  If you sign in first, they will have your device info when they call.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:46:21 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Amazon Kindle Support (all models) & General FAQs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
How Do I Reset/Clear Furthest Page Read?

(What is this?  If you're not familiar with it, Amazon lets you synch your books between devices, so that you can stop reading on one device and start on another.  However, if you are sharing books or want to re-read, this is annoying.  Now you can reset this through your Manage Your Kindle page.

You can now do this from your Manage Your Kindle page on your Amazon account page.  Go to Amazon, log in to your account, go to Manage Your Kindle and choose the book you want to reset.  (You may have to wait for all of the books in your account to load before you find it.)

Look at the drop down menu to the right.  One of the options will be "Clear Furthest Page Read."  Select that.  You'll be asked to confirm the "clear."

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:54:23 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
How Do I Change My Kindle's Name?

For all devices, you can do this through your account on Amazon.  Go to your account, select Manage Your Kindle, then Manage Your Devices on the left side menu.  A list of all Kindles registered to your account will appear.  Click on "edit" next to any device name to change that device's name.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:53:23 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
What's the best way to get MY Documents on my Kindle?

The easiest way to transfer files to your Kindle from your PC or Mac is using the send to Kindle app which allows you to simply right click on any file and then send it to any one of your devices, giving it the name and author name that you want - you have to put your Amazon account details in the first time.

Otherwise you can use the personal document service and send it via your personal Kindle address or transfer it via USB. The instructions for doing either of those are found here, including a list of compatible file types.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:46:04 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
How Do I Sync Between my Paperwhite (or other Kindle) and my audiobook on my iOS device?

What I've found works the best is to exit the PW book to the home page, then pick up your iDevice and open the Audible app (I'm using my iPod Touch 5G).  From the page that lists all your audiobooks (I'm using Audible 2.0.10), or if the book is in multiple parts, from the book's "parts" page, tap on Refresh on the white menu bar or drag down on the screen to refresh if you have an iPad.  You should get the sync message either there or when you open the actual book.

To go from the audiobook to the ebook, when you stop your audiobook, exit the audiobook and tap Refresh in the white menu or drag down if you're on the iPad.  Then, pick up your PW and open the ebook.  If the ebook is already open, go back to home and back in.  You should get the Sync to Furthest Page Read message.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »
Which Kindle Model Do I Have?

Many models of kindle look quite similar but might function slightly differently.  If you have a question about how to do something, it helps us to know which model you have.  Also, you'll need to know which model you have to be able to determine if an announced update is for your device.

Here's a link to a page at Amazon which lists all the various models, newest to oldest, along with some distinguishing characteristics:

Which Kindle E-Reader Do I Have?

There's a similar page for the Fire line:

Which Kindle Fire Do I Have?

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac