Kindle Forum banner

Review of Dx and Dx cover

8K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  angelad 
#1 ·
Mini review of Dx & Dx cover:

I got my first Kindle, Kindle 2 about 10 days ago. And now I also have a Kindle DX. So in one way, its easier for me to compare both the machines side by side without being much attached much to kindle 2 as yet.

Three things stands out.

aa) Dx is much much heavier than K2

bb) Dx has a much much larger screen than K2

cc) Dx has the screen auto rotate facility which is NOT in K2

The weight factor clearly makes Dx out of favor with the older people. Its like a big load in case one is older and weak. Also, not good for carrying when traveling!

If you are a big screen fan, yes, Dx is good for you but mind you k2 screen is more than adequate.

The screen auto rotate facility is good but NOT as smooth as it appeared in the pre-release videos. The auto-rotate will only work if the orientation is perfect as per the programmed machine. It will not just rotate as soon as we rotate the screen. The orientation needs to be perfect and the machine takes its time to think and change screen.

Other than that Dx is MUCH costlier than Kindle2.

I personally did not find any obvious difference in the contrast of the two machines as claimed by the other senior esteemed members of the forum.

Dx Cover :-

A ditto copy of k2 cover. One plus factor is that its light and does not add much to the already heavy weight of dx. This may not be so with the Oberon. The Oberon would perhaps be better for K2 than for Dx cos its weight factor.

Summary :

In my opinion, comparing Dx with k2 is like comparing mac air with max book pro. Both machines have their own plus points and serve the same purpose in different ways.

I would recommend k2 to older people, people with limited budget, people who do only simple bedroom reading or people traveling often

I would recommend Dx to students who want to use textbooks, people who want to own Dx ALONG with K2 or people who want to carry lot of official personal docs for meetings, people who want to enjoy reading newspapers on a bigger screen.

Hope my review is helpful for people contemplating between a k2 and Dx.

Cheers

Kindle DX on Amazon

See less See more
#5 ·
From another thread the issue seems to be center of balance as much as weight. . . .holding it differently can minimize the effect of the additional weight. . . .Seems like the comparison is hard back vs. paperback so, yeah, if you find hardbacks too heavy, you may find the DX to be too heavy also.  If not, the bigger screen may make it preferable. . . .

#6 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
From another thread the issue seems to be center of balance as much as weight. . . .holding it differently can minimize the effect of the additional weight. . . .Seems like the comparison is hard back vs. paperback so, yeah, if you find hardbacks too heavy, you may find the DX to be too heavy also. If not, the bigger screen may make it preferable. . . .
Gotta agree with you on there. I don't think it weighs as much as a hardcover though. I tried it with several different sizes and weights of hardcovers, and the DX is still lighter than all of them.

Captain said:
The figures such as 10 oz, 18 oz are inconsequential.

The important thing to take note is that DX feels like a heavy brick while the k2 feels like a lightweight paperback.

if you have any issues with heavy weight books, Dx is NOT for you!
I have to disagree quite a bit with the DX weighing like "a heavy brick." A heavy brick would probably be two times (if not three times or more) the weight of the DX, in my opinion.

#8 ·
I am not leaning towards getting one now, I like small and compact.

Thank you for the information,

Sailor

#9 ·
I'm a disabled person with brittle bone disease. If the Kindle DX truly felt like a brick, I'd be unable to manipulate it. I wouldn't be able to hold it to read, but that would have been fairly difficult for me with the K1 too. The problem is that the DX feels substantially heavier and larger compared to the smaller Kindles. In and of itself, it's not really that heavy. For anyone used to holding a full spiral-bound notebook or a solid clipboard, the Kindle DX has to be about the same weight, if not actually a little lighter.

#12 ·
Greg Banks said:
I'm a disabled person with brittle bone disease. If the Kindle DX truly felt like a brick, I'd be unable to manipulate it. I wouldn't be able to hold it to read, but that would have been fairly difficult for me with the K1 too. The problem is that the DX feels substantially heavier and larger compared to the smaller Kindles. In and of itself, it's not really that heavy. For anyone used to holding a full spiral-bound notebook or a solid clipboard, the Kindle DX has to be about the same weight, if not actually a little lighter.
That is a mjor complaint I have heard about the DX is the weight

#13 ·
I know I'm repeating myself from other threads, but I don't find the DX (kept in its amazon cover) to be all that heavy.  It definitely does not feel like a "brick" to me, nor is it even as heavy as a fairly long hard cover.  I've only handled a first generation kindle briefly, and it didn't feel all that much lighter then the DX to me.  I love if for the bigger screen, since I'm a fairly quick reader.

#15 ·
scarlet said:
I know I'm repeating myself from other threads, but I don't find the DX (kept in its amazon cover) to be all that heavy. It definitely does not feel like a "brick" to me, nor is it even as heavy as a fairly long hard cover. I've only handled a first generation kindle briefly, and it didn't feel all that much lighter then the DX to me. I love if for the bigger screen, since I'm a fairly quick reader.
The original K1 was 10.3 oz vs. the DX which is 18.9 oz

#16 ·
ptrol64 said:
It feels about as heavy as a hard cover book but a LOT less cumbersome. I also have a habit of holding a book in my left hand so I rotate until the buttons are on the left and then can read it easily and push the page turner button instinctively :D
I like a little weight to my electronic items. So, its weight is perfect I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.