Kindle Forum banner

Thoughts of the KDX from a new user...

10K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  jaimee83 
#1 ·
It's everything I expected it to be. I am a student, but that wasn't even the reason why I got the KDX. It's just one of the many great things that I will get out of my beloved and much-too-pampered Kindle. You won't see me going anywhere without it. :D

It is a bit heavy, but I don't plan on holding it for long periods of time. You CAN hold it one hand, but it might cramp up/tire out your wrist/hand muscles after awhile. I enjoy holding it with two hands though, it feels more secure that way, and it's just like cradling a normal book. I can read for hours at a time without even feeling the weight taking a toll on me.

I take it everywhere with me. Then again, I just slide it right into my messenger bag, and off we go. It's really convenient for me. I have a case and BB bag to protect it from getting damaged when in my bag. I read it when I'm at work and I'm on my lunch break. Other places that I take it out to read are in waiting rooms, waiting for my food at a restaurant, sitting in a cafe, wherever I have time really.

Here is something I don't like though, when I'm typing on the keyboard, it feels like the top of the Kindle might fall backward (because it doesn't balance an equal amount), so I have my other hand support the back or lay it down on something. I've never had a Kindle before, therefore meaning this is my first, and I think that the page turns/refreshes fairly fast, so I don't lose my train of thought when flipping a page to read.

The screen is AMAZING. I love, love, love the size of it. It is about as big as the average book, so it has about the same amount of text that it would on a normal page of a book. Of course, you can always adjust the size and amount of text in the space - which is also one of the great features on the KDX. I enjoy being able to change the text size, so I can read without glasses on/contacts in. The ability to adjust the amount of text is great too because I can enjoy smaller portions of reading, if I wanted to.

It DOESN'T fade in the sunlight. That was the first thing I tested when I opened it. (Afterall, there were so many horror stories of sun fading text with the K2.) I stepped right out into the bright sun, and held it there for a few minutes. The e-ink stayed amazingly dark. It's not hard to read at all. The text is just like any other DTB. PDF works better than I thought. The graphics are crisp and clear.

Auto rotate is one of my favorite features. I can lay down comfortably on my sofa or bed and read on my side, by setting the Kindle landscape style. Then, if I decide to sit up, I can go right back to reading it the normal way with the auto rotate, and it barely interrupts my reading, except for when it's refreshing to change the page back to the vertical style. If you want, you can always turn off the auto rotate and have it set it a particular way. Although, I did notice that, even if I tilted a little too much, it would automatically turn that way, which can get annoying at times because then I have to flip it back and wait for it to refresh. Of course, it only takes several seconds, but it's still a nuisance if it constantly happens. I have since then turned off the auto rotate and left it in the vertical upright setting, which works great for me because most of the time, that's how I read it. I also read laying on my back and on my tummy, which are both comfortable for me depending on what the surface is. My arms get tired after propping them up after awhile, so I have to change positions often. It might be different for other people - they might be able to stay in that position for a long time and feel comfortable. I can't do that.

If you were to prop the KDX on your stomach and read, which I do often when lying in bed, it will only get uncomfortable if you put a lot of pressure on it when holding it. It won't dig in per say, but may leave a little red line from where it was sitting, depending on how long you were propping it on your stomach for, and what clothes you're wearing because of the thickness of the fabric. I have yet to get a red line from propping it on my stomach, mainly because I don't put a lot of pressure when I'm holding it up.

I could sit here naming all the great things about it, but that might take awhile. So, if you have any questions - go ahead and step right up. Of course I'm still playing with it. Sorry, if my thoughts are bit of jumble, I've been really busy today (both with Kindle and non-Kindle activities).

I just thought I would pound out a review while my eyes were still open.

See less See more
#2 ·
Annie said:
The screen is AMAZING. I love, love, love the size of it. It is about as big as the average book, so that about the same about of text is on the page. Of course, you can always adjust the size and amount of text in the space - which is also one of the greatest features on the KDX. I enjoy being able to change the text size, so I can read without glasses on/contacts in. The ability to adjust the amount of text is great too because I can enjoy smaller portions of reading, if I wanted to.

It DOESN'T fade in the sunlight. That was the first thing I tested when I opened it. I stepped right out into the bright sun, and held it there for a few minutes. The e-ink stayed amazingly dark. It's not hard to read at all. The text is just like any other DTB. Graphics are really nice too. PDF works better than I thought. Auto rotate is one of my favorite features. I can lay down comfortably and read on my side, by setting the Kindle landscape style. Then, if I decide to sit up, I can go right back to reading it the normal way with the auto rotate, and it barely interrupts my reading, except for when it's refreshing to change the page back to the vertical style.
I really enjoyed your review! Makes me want to get one faster!

For someone new to the Kindle, you sure know what to look for. Must have researched it a lot first.

#6 ·
Thanks for the review, i didn't know of anyone who has the DX yet

#8 ·
gOod review. I'm prolly gonna order a DX soon. Question! (Dwight) What do you think so far of the "portability" of the DX? Do you carry it with you when you go places and are expecting to have to wait in line and be able to read? Do your hands "get tired" holding it for long periods of time? (this seems like a fairly common complaint... One reviewer called it a "brick" it was so heavy and returned his) if you lay in bed and read with the DX propped on yer tummy, does it dig in and get uncomfy? And if you could also answer a few questions I have about the meaning of life while yer at it that would be sweet. 

#10 ·
I, too, love the KDX.  Of course, I am a newbie to reading on any Kindle.  I cannot believe I waited so long to get a Kindle.  The DX is amazingly versatile and my hubby and I do not have to use our glasses or contacts to read.  We put it in an M-Edge Platform case it and stands by itself so we don't even have to hold it if we don't want to.  Then, you add the features that it will read to if you want it to and by just uploading MP3 files, you can press ALT spacebar and turn the music on and off at will.  The size of fonts are great and the fact you can read in any direction is the very best.  It is not heavy at all and we have arthritis.  Love it.

#12 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
legal, that word you keep using. . . "we". . . .I'm betting pretty soon you'll find that sharing doesn't work so well! :D
So far, so good, Ann. My hubby reads off and on during the day. I read after dinner and before bed. But, you have a valid point! May just have to buy another KDX. Now to win the lottery. Tee hee. Since we have been married forever, sharing is never a problem. Thanks for your concern though.

#13 ·
I know that no one has replied to this in a while, but I have to say I have had my DX for 3 weeks no and I concur with the author of this thread, It is Great. Love it, love it, love it. How did I ever do without it in the past. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia really bad. Holding weight and articles can be hard. The DX is wonderful. Most of the time I read in Landscape and it helps to balance on my abdomen when I am in bed, but I have NOT one negative thing to say about it. I hope it last me for years, and if it quits, I will definitely get a new one. Pierre is in my life forever. . . . . Have a blessed week all. Nancy

#16 ·
Roy White said:
gOod review. I'm prolly gonna order a DX soon. Question! (Dwight) What do you think so far of the "portability" of the DX? Do you carry it with you when you go places and are expecting to have to wait in line and be able to read? Do your hands "get tired" holding it for long periods of time? (this seems like a fairly common complaint... One reviewer called it a "brick" it was so heavy and returned his) if you lay in bed and read with the DX propped on yer tummy, does it dig in and get uncomfy? And if you could also answer a few questions I have about the meaning of life while yer at it that would be sweet.
I've had my DX for a month now. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't find it heavy at all, definitely not as heavy as a hard cover book even in the cover. I use it during my commute and I've found an easy way to hold it while standing waiting for my train. I rest it on my left forearm and curl my hand around it so that I'm hitting the next page button with my left fingers. If I feel the need for more support, I wrap my right arm behind it, or hold it more firmly with my left hand and next page with my right. I agree that it does feel a bit unbalanced, the center of gravity is not near its middle, but closer to the bottom and was worried about it tilting at first, but now I don't stress quite as much. When I first got it I was getting a weird dent in my thumb from the next page button, but I seem to have adjusted. I've never read it in bed, so I can answer that question, but I doubt it'll be more uncomfortable then reading a print book.

Oh, and I could tell you the meaning of my life, but you'll have to figure out the meaning of yours.

#21 ·
I've had mine for a couple weeks now and seem to be looking for excuses to read.  I ordered 4 books to read on vacation next week - already read them and ordered more.  I most probably will do little more than download books and read them, this is what I wanted from the kindle and its delivering without fault.  I give this all the stars available.jwj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.