Kindle Forum banner

Kindle number 3- pictures

22K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  TechBotBoy 
#1 ·
No, I have not gone through 3 Kindle Dxs, the DX is the third Kindle in the house with a KK and a K2 here also. I got the DX to be able to put PDFs on it, primarily journal articles for work because I intensely dislike reading them on my laptop. So I loaded the 400 some articles onto my DX tonight and thought I would post my thoughts with just limited reading and browsing.

The formatting is just as it is in the original journal. The quality of the pictures, diagrams and even radiographs is quite good. The print is a touch small since one whole page is on the screen when held vertically and even though it is larger than the KK and K2 screen it is not as large as the original article. The font on the DX in the articles is probably at size 2 on those devices. I am not having any problems reading it- the contrast is good, not as dark as the text on the home page but that is not the Kindles fault- its how it is in the original. If I turn it horizontally the text is bigger and easier to read, but the whole page is not on the screen and since most of the articles I have are in columns that means I have to go back and forth between pages to get to the top of the next column. Not as annoying as scrolling up and down on the laptop though.

I do have some problems with the screen rotating when I didn't want it to, but I think it will just take some getting used to how far I can tilt it, or I will just turn off the automatic setting.

It is a bit heavy. I don't think I could hold it one handed for any length of time and I have no hand strength issues. I think I will like to get a cover of some type as I don't like the feel of it naked, but I think I will wait and see what comes out, the size and weight will be an issue.

I do like not having to turn pages as often and can set the font at size 2 with out having any problems reading at that setting. I usually have the KK or K2 set at 3 or 4. The text is clear and sharp.

Here are some pictures of some of the articles I have showing some charts, diagrams etc.

I think I will keep it but primarily for work, I am not sure I will do much casual reading with it. I usually do not read in bed or at the table where it would be easier to use a platform or other device to prop it up. But things change and I have only had it for 5 hours. Guess I'll have to start thinking of a name for him and my poor K2 who is still unnamed. Poor things will get a complex, the K1 was named before he arrived ;D

Lynn L

See less See more
#4 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
(If anyone tries loading sheet music I'd love to see that too!. . . .)
Not the best pictures, but here you go. I had to take the flash off so a little blurry.

#8 ·
Wow, what great pictures! Do you have any pictures in comparison with your hands and how easy it is to hold it?

Sailor

#10 ·
There are no authors listed on the ones I downloaded, so I have them listed alphbetically by title. I am not sure if you used mobipocket creator if you could add authors but I don't really need the author, I really only want to know what the article is about. I wonder if I can group like articles together in a book though  :-\. I don't know much about mobipocket creator.

I can search within an article but can only bookmark pages, there is no ability to make notes.

Lynn L

#11 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
<drooling>

I'm gonna have to figure out how to get one of these way sooner than Christmas. . . .it would be SO good for tax publications and articles. . . .wow. . . . . hmmmm. . . .

(If anyone tries loading sheet music I'd love to see that too!. . . .)
Ann, we're on the same page (including sheet music page). I xerox and reduce and divide them so I don't have to do page turns but with the Kindle it'd be so easy to turn a page.

#14 ·
Most often I play flute, but also piano, guitar and bass guitar.  I play with a group for Mass.  The 'music camp' is for all of the above as well as voice and percussion -- all for folks that play in groups at Mass.  It's actually run by NPM -- the National Association of Pastoral Musicians and is called Guitar & Ensemble Institute.  It's a fun, musical, retreat week.  (But not boring and overly introspective as many retreats can be, in my experience).  There's lots of music and prayer but also lots of fun and learning and jokes and just . . . .fun!  Each year about half the attendees are folks who've been before in previous years so it's also like a big family reunion and we welcome 20-30 new members every year.  It's cool.

#18 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Most often I play flute, but also piano, guitar and bass guitar. I play with a group for Mass. The 'music camp' is for all of the above as well as voice and percussion -- all for folks that play in groups at Mass.
That's a lot of instruments, Ann! Wow. That kind of Mass must be what's called 'joyful' :)

I do piano, harpsichord and the 4 recorders, but never could make musical sounds on the guitar.
And you play bass guitar at that!

It's actually run by NPM -- the National Association of Pastoral Musicians and is called Guitar & Ensemble Institute. It's a fun, musical, retreat week. (But not boring and overly introspective as many retreats can be, in my experience).
The only retreat I went to was a full week in the woods, nothing but early music. Fantastic concerts at night by the teachers too and when it came to the end of the week, for the first time I was there I suddenly realized there was such a thing as news and newspapers. Someone mentioned a political parade the next day back in town and the world came crashing back :) But it was great.

There's lots of music and prayer but also lots of fun and learning and jokes and just . . . .fun! Each year about half the attendees are folks who've been before in previous years so it's also like a big family reunion and we welcome 20-30 new members every year. It's cool.
Sure sounds it. It may be the one place you don't actually need your Kindle!

#19 ·
Wow those pictures are amazing. It all shows up alot clearer and more readable than I had imagined. For some reason I pictured the charts,graphs,music etc. to be barely legible. But that is completely clear and readable.

It makes me wish I played an instrument too, so that I could read the sheet music on a DX also!  :D

#22 ·
karlm said:
the attack of the prothrombinase complexes... clearly demonstrates the display's abilities.
quite reassuring to say the least.
Im going to have to look that one up

#23 ·
So, you are a vet?  I am in Physical Therapy and was thinking when the prices went down that I would want a DX for jounal reading only as well.  I love my K2 but would like something bigger with easier PDF capabilities for work as well related things.  Good to see the pics on it.

#25 ·
R. Reed said:
Lynn said:

"I do have some problems with the screen rotating when I didn't want it to,"

I learned mere seconds ago, on another thread, that you can turn off the automatic rotation and do it manually. I don't know how, check your user manual.
It is at the bottom of the menu where you change font size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.