KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: A question about the Kindle Fire.  (Read 912 times)  

Offline Little Kat

• Pittsburgh
    • View Profile
A question about the Kindle Fire.
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
I lost my Kindle 3,like a dummy, so I need to get a new Kindle.  I'm considering the Kindle Fire.   My question,though,is this.  Is reading books on the Kindle fire the same as reading them on the Kindle e reader?   Or is it more like reading on the computer.  Also, is reading on the Fire as easy on the eyes as a Kindle ereader?  ( sigh, decisions,decisions.)
John 3:16

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
Re: A question about the Kindle Fire.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
The Fire is not e-ink, so it is much more like a computer screen.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Little Kat

• Pittsburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
Thank you.
John 3:16

Offline jkeith0919

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
I have a K3 & a Fire & MUCH prefer reading on the K3. I use the Fire for games, video, web surfing & any graphic-intensive reading. For novels I find the K3 screen much easier on the eyes.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
The Fire is not e-ink, so it is much more like a computer screen.

But it's a very high resolution screen and you can turn the brightness down pretty far.  There are also three display options for kindle books that help many folks, and a choice of 8 different type faces.  If the ambient light is low, it's kind of nice.

But if you have sufficient room light, the K3 is nicer. . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
But it's a very high resolution screen and you can turn the brightness down pretty far.  There are also three display options for kindle books that help many folks, and a choice of 8 different type faces.  If the ambient light is low, it's kind of nice.

But if you have sufficient room light, the K3 is nicer. . . . .
Agree with everything you said, I too have a K3 and a fire. Read on both, but even with all the adjustments on the Fire, the K3 is better to me.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline stacydan

• East Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Re: A question about the Kindle Fire.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
Same here, I read on my k2 and play on my fire.  I do have a few magazines I read on the fire but not for very long at a time. 

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Offline jbcohen

• Palanthas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
I am not going to address the issue that appears to be answered already, but would like to address a related issue.  Since Little Kat lost the kindle once it might be a bettor idea to use an android based smart phone for reading books on it.  I know there is the problem of the smaller screen but reading on the smart phone has an advantage that there are apps out there that will help you find your smart phone if you should loose it for any reason, such as Mc Affee's mobile security will do that.  However, I would not recommend going out and buying one and a new cell phone plan if you do not have one already, that's overkill my my mind.

Offline Hoosiermama

• Central Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: Re: A question about the Kindle Fire.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
I have a Touch and Fire. During the day, I generally read on my Touch, but in the evening, when light is low, I've really enjoyed reading on my Fire.  I'm actually surprised at how much I've enjoyed it.

Add to that the ability to surf, play games and watch a movie while DH is watching sports, and I love it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
--Mary (Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch)

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »
I know there is the problem of the smaller screen but reading on the smart phone
You know, I oriented my HTC Thunderbolt (my smartphone) horizontally & put it up to my Fire held vertically & the width is almost exactly the same!  :o
You do have fewer number of lines to read through before you have to turn a page on the Thunderbolt, but otherwise it's not really smaller width-wise.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Bob327

• Frederick Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »
Like Hoosiermania I too read on my kindle during the day BUT switch to the fire in the evenings....  I rarely use my smartphone (EVO 4G) to read but when that is  all I have and want to kill time it does work ...

I do not think I have ever read more then a few pages on any of my computers...just not comfortable for me 

Bob G