Author Topic: Can I have a look at your back-matter?  (Read 2486 times)  

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
Can I have a look at your back-matter?
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »
I've been thinking about my back-matter lately, and thinking that it isn't really doing the job it should be doing. I revamped it when I published Subject 19 in February, but I didn't (I can be stupid) realize you could add links. Since then I've read threads where people are speaking about having links in their back-matter and even covers. Where do the links go to - to the Amazon page from a Kindle? I can imagine it working for a Kindle Fire or an iPad, but I suppose it wouldn't work for an e-ink reader. I mean, if you clicked on it, would it take you to the Amazon site?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was anyone with a perma-free or KDP Select free book at the moment that could give me a link so I could have a look at the way different people are doing back-matter.

The other thing is an email list. I've simply been adding my email, but I've heard people talking about Mailchimp and I'm thinking of trying something like that. Right now, I'm getting very few additions to my mailing list.

Anyway, this is how my back-matter looks at the moment:

[]  []  []

Also by Todd Young

Jumbo

Mitchell has a problem. Hes a little too small where it counts. The guys on the swim team have started calling him Jumbo a cruel joke and meanwhile hes in love with his best friend, Luke. But when Mitchell starts receiving love letters in his locker, can they really be from Luke? Or are they from someone big enough to love him just the way he is?

Dressing Up

Skipper has just arrived at college on a football scholarship. The year kicks off with a costume party. Skipper ends up going as Tarzan, in an all too brief costume. At the party he meets Lake, but can Lake and Skipper ever be more than friends?

Corrupted

Brad is short of cash. Hes lost his job, and if he cant find the rent money by Friday, hes going to be evicted. He answers a job to work as a strip-o-gram, but ends up getting more than he bargained for.

[]  []  []

If you would like to contact Todd Young about his work, or ask to be notified when new titles become available, you can write to him at:

toddyoung7 at gmail dot com

Follow Todd Young on Twitter:

@_ToddYoung

[]  []  []

For whatever reasons there might be, this doesn't seem to be working very well for me. I'm  getting very few flow on sales, and only the odd person that I am able to add to my email list.

In 2010, when I first published Corrupted, I was using this as my back-matter:

[] [] []

If you would like to contact Todd Young, you can write to him at:

toddyoung7 at gmail dot com

If you would simply like to be placed on the mailing list for discounts on future titles, you need only write the word discounts in the subject line of an email.

[] [] []

You have just read a book by an independent author. Without the publicity heft of a major publisher, this book might easily sink into obscurity. If you believe this book deserves to be found and read, you might consider taking some of the following actions:

Rate the book and write a review.

Add tags to the books page, such as gay romance, m/m romance, gay erotica, etc.

Create a listmania of similar books with this book at the top of the list.

Recommend the book on facebook, twitter and reader forums.

Contact the author about promoting the book on your blog or elsewhere at a discounted price.

At that stage, I was trying to emphasise the fact that I was self-published, and I was getting far more additions to my mailing list than I am now. Now, I've got a publishing company, and I'd prefer my books not to look self-published.

Anyway, if anyone wants to adapt any of the above for their own back-matter, feel free. I think my original back-matter worked quite well, though I'm not sure many people took any of the suggested actions.

So, I'm open to criticisms, suggestions, ideas, and, as I said, if anyone's got a book I could download for free to have a look at your back-matter, then that would be great.

Thanks.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
  • It's my book! I do what I want!
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
Re: Can I have a look at your back-matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
Todd, you little minx.  You got me with the title of that post.  So dirty.

Okay, you want to see my back matter?  Here it is below.  I think the key is to make things clickable, hotlinks, not just email addresses they have to type in places.  You should also make it really easy for them to sign up on your website.  Last, since you write in, shall we say, a very niche genre, you might want to add a little word or two like this:  "To be added to my confidential email list and receive a discrete message about new releases, click here."  That might make some feel more comfortable signing up.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »
Oh, and BTW, I put that "Other Books by Elle Casey" as front matter too, just after the title page.  So it's in there twice.

Offline Olivia (Lady O)

• PBG, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:51:38 AM »
Elle's a high priestess who knows it all and she's very organized as well as productive ... 
but maybe, you're - like me - just an ordinary human.

In that case you may want to consider a link to your own site's page where you'll set up a list of your books.
With Elle's method you need to go back, update, and upload the back and front matter list in every single book every single time there's something new out.
Otherwise the rest of her advice is perfect!

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:56:52 AM »
Elle's a high priestess who knows it all and she's very organized as well as productive ... 
but maybe, you're - like me - just an ordinary human.

In that case you may want to consider a link to your own site's page where you'll set up a list of your books.
With Elle's method you need to go back, update, and upload the back and front matter list in every single book every single time there's something new out.
Otherwise the rest of her advice is perfect!

That would certainly make it easier on us authors, but the problem is so many readers don't click through that far.  Too much clicking.  Some don't even bother going past the last page of text, which is why I also put my list in the front.  Of course I also have links to my website and my books there for those who are curious enough to click.  But you need to show the readers things without making them click sometimes.  That's just the nature of the beast, and we can't change that.

For me, it's labor intensive because I have to update frequently.  But for most who only write a few books a year (or less), it's no big deal.

Offline Glynn James

• Glynn James
    • View Profile
    • www.glynnjames.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:12:02 AM »
Mine are very similar to Elle's, but I also add links to all of my books for both the amazon.com and the amazon.co.uk versions, and I also add links to the pages that allow someone to review the book they have just read.

Due to financial crisis, a picture is now only worth 200 words
Glynn James | Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:22 AM »
Mine are very similar to Elle's, but I also add links to all of my books for both the amazon.com and the amazon.co.uk versions, and I also add links to the pages that allow someone to review the book they have just read.

I used to do that too, but changed to just make the entire thing a link to my Author page on Amazon.  Lazy girl's way out.  :)

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »

Thanks. That sounds like a great idea, though I wonder how well it'd work for me. My work's a little bizarre, so an easy click might leave me with another review titled "WTF?" Still, I think I might give it a try when I release my next book and update everything.

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
Thanks. That sounds like a great idea, though I wonder how well it'd work for me. My work's a little bizarre, so an easy click might leave me with another review titled "WTF?" Still, I think I might give it a try when I release my next book and update everything.

I think if they're already in your back matter, they won't mind being sent to another one of your books. 

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:52:39 AM »
I used to do that too, but changed to just make the entire thing a link to my Author page on Amazon.  Lazy girl's way out.  :)

So - and I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I want to get it straight in my head - can a reader in the UK click on the book from that (US?) author page and get to a UK version of the book they can buy?

And also, is it your "Other Books by Elle Casey" that is the clickable link, or is each book in the list a link to your US author page?

Offline ellecasey

• USA & France
    • View Profile
    • Elle Casey, Author
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 03:07:41 AM »
So - and I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I want to get it straight in my head - can a reader in the UK click on the book from that (US?) author page and get to a UK version of the book they can buy?

And also, is it your "Other Books by Elle Casey" that is the clickable link, or is each book in the list a link to your US author page?

Normally I just highlight the whole section and make the whole thing one link to my Amazon author page. I also make it an affiliate link when I can, but sometimes it doesn't work for some reason on author pages.  Never pass up the chance to make affiliate money with your books!

Offline Nathalie Hamidi

• Toulouse, France
    • View Profile
    • Your Mileage May Vary
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 04:24:42 AM »
You've inspired me to post about back matters! I agree with most of the things you said!  :D

Turd Master
Nathalie Ayni | website | facebook | twitter | pinterest | scoop.it | tumblr
Irma Geddon, Writer of Doom | website | facebook | twitter | mailing-listPoison Godiva, Tentacle Master | website | facebook | twitterFind, Read, Love | website | facebook | twitterOctopublish | website | facebook | twitterEBookalypse | website | facebook | twitter

Offline Courtney Milan

• View Profile
    • http://www.courtneymilan.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 04:39:33 AM »
The Governess Affair is permafree right now.

This is my backmatter:

Then the excerpt.

Then...

Those links are clickable (and specific to each vendor).

Then the acknowledgments and the author's note (if any).

Courtney Milan                                                                                                                                                        <coming soon>
http://www.courtneymilan.com

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 04:48:16 AM »
Thanks Courtney, that looks great. It's interesting to see how people do things differently. I can imagine a reader who's just finished your novel engaged with the way you've constructed your back-matter, though I was thinking of something simpler.

If I could offer a suggestion, you could possibly use the phrase "Stand Alone Novels" instead of "Not in Any Series" though I suppose there's plenty of people who'd think that they were then part of a series called "The Stand Alone Novels."

Offline Nathalie Hamidi

• Toulouse, France
    • View Profile
    • Your Mileage May Vary
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
If I could offer a suggestion, you could possibly use the phrase "Stand Alone Novels" instead of "Not in Any Series" though I suppose there's plenty of people who'd think that they were then part of a series called "The Stand Alone Novels."

Yeah!  ;D ;D ;D

Turd Master
Nathalie Ayni | website | facebook | twitter | pinterest | scoop.it | tumblr
Irma Geddon, Writer of Doom | website | facebook | twitter | mailing-listPoison Godiva, Tentacle Master | website | facebook | twitterFind, Read, Love | website | facebook | twitterOctopublish | website | facebook | twitterEBookalypse | website | facebook | twitter

Offline teashopgirl

• Wisconsin
  • YA Author & Founder of Planet Explorers Guidebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Teashop Girls
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »
Great thread, thanks for sharing this valuable info everyone. Here's mine. All of the book titles are hyperlinked.

A Note from the Publisher

Dear Explorer,
Thank you for reading our Planet Explorers 2013 Walt Disney World guidebook. We hope youve enjoyed it and found it useful. If you are so inclined, please post a quick review on Amazon.com so other Explorers like you can find the book. Check out the other Planet Explorers titles:

Walt Disney World 2013 Character Finder: A Planet Explorers Travel Guide for Kids
Epcot
Planet Explorers Space Mountain: A Travel Guide for Kids
Walt Disney World Swimming Pools

Planet Explorers Disney Cruise Line
Disneyland Paris Resort 2012: A Planet Explorers Travel Guide for Kids
Planet Explorers Disneyland

Planet Explorers Philadelphia 
Planet Explorers New York City 
Planet Explorers Las Vegas

LEGOLAND Florida: A Planet Explorers Travel Guide for Kids
Universal Orlando Resort: A Planet Explorers Travel Guide for Kids
The Unofficial Guide to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: A 2012 Planet Explorers Guidebook

Feel free also to send your comments to PlanetExplorers3000@gmail.com. Wed love to hear your thoughts and get suggestions for future Planet Explorers titles. We want to explore great new places, so were always curious about where youre planning to go! Planet Explorers is online at http://www.planet-explorers.net http://www.facebook.com/PlanetExplorers and www.twitter.com/PlanetExplorers.

Thanks again for reading. Keep exploring,

Laura Schaefer
Planet Explorers Publisher

Laura Schaefer | author website | blog | facebook | twitter FREE PUBLICITY! Post your YA novel: https://www.facebook.com/WhatToReadAfterTheHungerGames

Offline donnajherren

• feeling sassy
    • View Profile
    • Kit Rocha
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:38 AM »
I think it's wise to put as few clicks between your reader and a sale as you humanly can. Meaning that a direct link to the book page at various retailers, as appropriate, is probably the way to go.
Kit Rocha

Offline jasonzc

• Mostly Texas
  • Five more novels before I retire to write.
    • View Profile
    • Write to Life
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
Todd, you little minx.  You got me with the title of that post.  So dirty.

Right. I was going to say I use this line on female authors all the time.

But I do think your rewrite is a bit excessive, Todd. I'd list my other books, my blog, and my mailing list. And perhaps a line asking for reviews if they liked it.

Offline vrabinec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »
Here's a picture the wife took of me mooni......wait, no, Betsy might go ballistic. No, never mind.

I like the way Elle's got her's set up. Nice and efficient.

Bedrich Pasek VIII | Website

Offline Susan Kaye Quinn

• Susan Kaye Quinn, speculative fiction author
    • View Profile
    • Susan Kaye Quinn, Author
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »
I play around with back matter quite a bit, but try to make the links all go to my author page on Amazon/etc so I don't have to go back and update too much.

Here's one of my latest:

Susan Kaye Quinn, SF author www.susankayequinn.com
See the live-action trailer for the Mindjack Trilogy, my future-noir Debt Collector serial trailer, and the trailer for my MG fantasy novel Faery Swap.

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Todd, you also asked about Mail Chimp. I started using them in December and I really like them. I was confused at first but once I decided to clear my head a few minutes and concentrate it was easy to get set up, etc. Give them a try!  By the way, I say "Sign up for New Release Email Notificaion".  I do NOT call it a newsletter. A lot of people (myself included) will not sign up for newsletters, as they don't have time for them.  I only send through Mail Chimp to announce a new book.  If people really want to know other things about my writing or the genre, they will join my blog or fanpage.  That's my feeling, anyway.  Others do newsletters.
ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
    • View Profile
    • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Here is my back matter:

Look for the first book in a new, dramatic series from Caddy Rowland in the summer or early fall of 2013!
Mailing List Alert for My New Releases: http://eepurl.com/rfjaX
Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/Gastien.Beauchamp (hit the like button)
Blog: www.caddyrowlandblog.blogspot.com Writer of Fiction, Painter of Life & Energy
Author Email: caddyauthor@yahoo.com
All honest and fair reviews are appreciated

I put my books in the front, like in regular books. I don't link them, as I publish several places and would need to change the links. I feel they can easily look them up.  Perhaps at some point I will link them, I don't know.  This is the front page for that:

Books by Caddy Rowland:

The Gastien Series

Gastien Part 1: The Cost of the Dream

Gastien Part 2: From Dream to Destiny

Tristan Michel: Bloodline of Passion (Book 3 of The Gastien Series)

Giselle: Keeper of the Flame (Book 4 of The Gastien Series)

Gastien: Circle of Destiny (Book 5 of The Gastien Series)

ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Todd Young

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
Thanks everyone. You've come up with some great stuff while I've been asleep here in Aus. I'm going to have to think about it, and when I release my new novella, hopefully by the end of the month, I'll update everything.

Anyone else want to chime in, feel free.

Thanks for the info about Mail Chimp, Caddy. I was kind of freaking out about the idea of it. I really am hopeless at networking. Even on the net I'm an introvert.