KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: WARNING: Using FreeBookService.com Can Result in Termination of KDP Account  (Read 58194 times)  

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
As some of you know, I was one of the testers for FreeBookService, a service that guaranteed a certain number of downloads for free books. I was skeptical, as were others. I agreed to be a guinea pig, and while they did deliver downloads the whole thing stunk on ice. Some people continued to and still continue to support them. Be warned, I just received the following email from KDP:

"It recently came to our attention that you may have used the third-party site, www.FreeBookService.com, for your title, [My Book]. While we will always support legitimate efforts of KDP authors to promote their books, this site uses improper practices to artificially inflate sales ranking in the Kindle Store.

We take activities that jeopardize the experience of our customers and other authors very seriously. We wanted you to be aware of the nature of www.FreeBookService.coms offering and ask that you not work with them or other services that attempt to manipulate the KDP platform. If this activity continues, we will have to take appropriate action (which may include removing your title from Amazon and/or terminating your account)."

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Robert A Michael

• Broken Arrow, OK
    • View Profile
    • Infinite Word Press
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had to be the sacrificial lamb on that one.

Robert Michael | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Google+ | Newsletter

Offline AshMP

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • Visit my author website for information on my books and upcoming event. Visit my blog--a day to day journey in the pursuit publication!
That's really scary. I've never used them, never even knew they existed until this thread, and I certainly won't use them now.

Ashley Mackler-Paternostro | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline SunHi Mistwalker

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Sunhi Mistwalker's Blog
Wow, that's scary. Thanks for this heads up, Monique. I've never heard of them, but I'll make sure to stay far away.

Take the indie writer demographics survey. http://ow.ly/pLXEv Be Counted!
Website: www.sunhimistwalker.com Available everywhere ebooks are sold.

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
Thanks for letting us know. KDP keeps a better eye on things than we realized. Good for them.

Offline Danni

• Ain't nobody got time for that.
    • View Profile
Good to have this confirmed. Thanks, Monique.

For anyone who might not recall:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,169160.0.html

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
Wow, whoever predicted that this would happen (back in that first thread) should have put money on it!
        NEW:

author website | facebook

Offline Anne Frasier

• St. Paul, MN, rural Wisconsin
  • NYT author
    • View Profile
    • Anne's website
wow. thanks for the warning.

Online Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing that, Monique, I really appreciate it. I was baffled that everyone didn't see this for the obvious manipulation it was, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Thanks for the warning  :o. Good to know Amazon is looking out for the manipulators! 

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
Re: WARNING: Using FreeBookService.com Can Result in Termination of KDP Account
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
Nice to see Amazon paying attention. Glad Monique only got an email and didn't get in real trouble!

But yes, I've said this on many occasions. Any system that is set up to artificially manipulate Amazon's algorithms is bad for everyone. Amazon's algorithms only benefit us if they are organic. One of the peculiar things in the other thread was the inability of some folks to recognize the difference between normal marketing and artificial manipulation. It is one thing to place an ad with a website visited by readers. That is just a matter of making people aware of your product. They still have to act on their own power before you have any benefit. It is another to pay a fee for a guaranteed number of downloads from suspicious sources for the sole purpose of inflating sales rank.

NO service can guarantee a fixed number of REAL READERS. Not unless the service is being run by Professor X.  :o ;D All a legitimate service can do is put your product in front of potential readers. The readers still need to make a decision whether or not to download/buy.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline ゴジラ

• ia! ia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
How shocking. Thank you for sharing, Monique.

Online Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
Thank you for letting us know. I remember the debate from the original thread. I'm glad that you received a warning with no further action!

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Wow, whoever predicted that this would happen (back in that first thread) should have put money on it!

KDP have changed their tune though. They were asked at the time by a few skeptical people and KDP said it's fine, the downloads are going to legit customers. Looks like they didn't investigate properly back then. Scary. I wonder when KDP will decide that freebooksy or sites similar also fall outside their acceptable use. I know its a different situation, but acceptable use is what Amazon says it is, not necessarily what we think it should be.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:21:44 AM by markecooper »

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
WOW They sound serious. Thanks ::)

Dee Dawning | Twitter | Blogger

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
I knew that site looked suspicious from the very beginning.

I'm glad that Amazon has been keeping an eye on this kind of thing.

Offline MonkishScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
Very scary. Thank goodness KDP is being reasonable about it.

At the end of the day, yet another reminder that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
As some of you know, I was one of the testers for FreeBookService, a service that guaranteed a certain number of downloads for free books. I was skeptical, as were others. I agreed to be a guinea pig, and while they did deliver downloads the whole thing stunk on ice. Some people continued to and still continue to support them. Be warned, I just received the following email from KDP:

"It recently came to our attention that you may have used the third-party site, www.FreeBookService.com, for your title, [My Book]. While we will always support legitimate efforts of KDP authors to promote their books, this site uses improper practices to artificially inflate sales ranking in the Kindle Store.

We take activities that jeopardize the experience of our customers and other authors very seriously. We wanted you to be aware of the nature of www.FreeBookService.coms offering and ask that you not work with them or other services that attempt to manipulate the KDP platform. If this activity continues, we will have to take appropriate action (which may include removing your title from Amazon and/or terminating your account)."

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

We have had no communication from amazon about our service. This quote looks made up. Maybe post a screenshot of the email from kdp?

Also, if there is actually an email, take a screenshot of the email headers so I can check the source of the email and verify it came from amazon and was not spoofed by someone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:27:52 AM by freebookservice »
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
    • The Descendants
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
While I figured it was shady from the start (and torn between my appreciation for gaming systems and my disdain for profiting off of gaming the system), I wonder if KDP got its back up because people here went and tattled.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline MonkishScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »

We have had no communication from amazon about our service. This quote looks made up. Maybe post a screenshot of the email from kdp?

Also, if there is actually an email, take a screenshot of the email headers so I can check the source of the email and verify it came from amazon and was not spoofed by someone.

Monique has been here for years and is a respected member of the community. What possible motive would she have to fabricate this email?

Offline Al Dente

• Because my raps are so hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure Monique knows the difference between a spoofed email and a real one.

Offline Rodeo Host

• View Profile
    • Romance Writer's Rodeo
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »

I think your time is probably better spent going directly to Amazon yourself now that you've been made aware of this.

Offline freebookservice

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure Monique knows the difference between a spoofed email and a real one.

Does Monique know how to read email headers? Ill wait for her reply thanks.

I think your time is probably better spent going directly to Amazon yourself now that you've been made aware of this.

I wont be spending time contacting amazon as only people who have their email address public via kboards have gotten contacted. If it was really amazon sending the email, why would they have to use Kboards to find the authors email?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:34:55 AM by freebookservice »
Our website is Freebookservice.com and our email is freebooksservice@gmail.com

Offline Al Dente

• Because my raps are so hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
Does Monique know how to read email headers? Ill wait for her reply thanks.

Holy S... Are you for real?  :o

Offline Quiss

• Canada
  • spits infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Chris Reher Author page
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »

This quote looks made up.

Sorry. Them's fightin' words. Don't go there.
        NEW:

author website | facebook