KB Featured Book
A Second Chance
by Marcia Whitaker

$7.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-30
Bestseller ranking: 264164

Product Description
What would you do if you got that once in a lifetime second chance to seize everything that was torn away from you and make it right?

Living in the foothills of the scenic Rocky Mountains, highly respected Neurosurgeon, Julian Cahill, appears to have it all. He’s handsome, compassionate, ambitious, and wealthy but one thing is missing…a woman to share his life. For eighteen years he has grieved the loss of his high school sweetheart, Amber Scott, who passed away just prior to the start of their senior year. Ready to give up on love all together, college freshman, Destiny Bradshaw walks into his life, astounding him with her beauty. A girl half his age, she intrigues him. His attraction to her is powerful, but he’s unable to make sense of it. Despite the age difference, Destiny is also drawn to him, but her overly-protective parents have their concerns and give her an ultimatum. Upon uncovering some life-altering details in conne...

Author Topic: Bookmarq.net Promotional Thread (MERGED)  (Read 17703 times)  

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
Bookmarq.net Promotional Thread (MERGED)
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
If you're starting out as an author you need exposure but it's hard to find at an affordable price. The Amazon store is now so packed with books that at the recent London Book Fair all the talk was of the "discoverability" problem - how do people find your books,

Reviews are obviously one way but a Kirkus Review costs $425 and frankly most of them are not very good. As an author myself but with a background in book and music marketing, a few months ago I started to work on ways of dealing with this. Obviously I wanted to promote my books but to do that I needed to provide something that would be useful to other authors too.

The outcome is we have created something which I believe can act as a marketing toolbox for authors to promote their work.  It's designed to be affordable - a book page complete with cover shot and description starts at $10 and you will only pay $30 for a short review. Even a full review is affordable at $75.

It's very easy to set up - all you do is complete a form, pay by PayPal and you're good to go.

I hope you try it and I hope you like it. I really hope we can help you sell a lot of books

The web address for the $10 book page promo is at
http://www.bookmarq.net/add-book-page-book-page-plus-review/

Obviously there's a lot more to see on the website as well.

Meantime I hope you like the cartoon (below) from 20px about what it is like to be an author on the internet these days.

Edited to shrink image. Thanks for understanding. --Betsy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:47:36 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
bookmarq.net is the destination meeting-place for readers and writers. Along with insightful reviews, regular author interviews, articles and competitions, we provide comprehensive details of events and services as well as vital advice and guidance for aspirant writers, and marketing tools for established authors and publishers.
Managing Editor at Bookmarq.net
Paige Doyle | Bookmarq.net

Offline Just Browsing

• View Profile
Re: The $10 starter book marketing plan
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
A review... posted only on your site?

How many books do you sell off your site? Could you let us know the titles of some of your top sellers?

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:08:33 PM »
The review is delivered under a creative commons licence which means you can use it anywhere.

The site has been online for less than a month  but the returns for Amazon sales for June show we sold 643 books. As the $10 fee is not a monthly charge but is a perpetual listing I think it represents good value.

The importance of the page is not just the page itself but that it also gives you gateway access to our award-winning iRabbit Reader Multiplication system which is detailed here:
http://www.bookmarq.net/marketing-packages-overview/

iRabbit is proven in the music  and gaming industries and we're currently implementing it for two major publishers under white label branding.

We're book marketing professionals. I appreciate your interest and any more questions that you may have.
bookmarq.net is the destination meeting-place for readers and writers. Along with insightful reviews, regular author interviews, articles and competitions, we provide comprehensive details of events and services as well as vital advice and guidance for aspirant writers, and marketing tools for established authors and publishers.

Offline Just Browsing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »
643 of the same book? Which book was it?

What are the credentials of your reviewers? Do they use their real names? Can we read some of the longer, more expensive reviews to judge the quality?

$10 isn't necessarily too much, but that's not what you're charging. You're charging $30, or $75. Which one must contrast to a review via Library Thing or Goodreads, for example, which is free. I'll grant you that a Kirkus review is pricy, but that's not the only option.

Sorry, I have no idea what 'white label branding' means?

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
No we sold 643 books across all titles. But the site only went online at the beginning of the month.

We are charging $10. For that you get a page with a cover on it, a summary, a synopsis, a short author bio and a link which takes you to the sales page on Amazon. If you want a review - around 200 words you pay $30 and that includes the listing. If you want a full review you pay $75.

I review books for several UK nationals so I know what a quality review looks like. We recruit our reviewers by giving them a website free. We hand-pick the best of them to be what we call "selected reviewers". At the moment we can cover each genre (fiction) or subject (non-fiction) with at least two selected reviewers.

An example page is here:
http://www.bookmarq.net/public-schools-and-the-great-war-the-generation-lost-by-anthony-seldon-and-david-walsh-2/

White label means they are using the same system to promote their own titles but under their own brand but with our marketing system under the hood.

The problem with Kirkus reviews is (a) the cost and (b) the quality. They simply do not shape up to a proper newspaper review. Most of the front end of the review is in describing the plot which should not be the purpose of a review.

Offline Rin

• Oz
    • View Profile
    • Require: Cookie
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:57:15 AM »
Erm, question - why is your Facebook page set up as a person that you have to friend, rather than as a "thing" that you like?
Main Series   Short Stories

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 05:23:14 AM »
That's a good question. It should link to the bookmarq.net, the bookmarq.net fan site on facebook. If you tell me where you clicked to "Like" that might save us hours of time in finding where to correct it?

Offline MarkOetjens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
The title of this thread is "$10 book marketing PLAN" So where's the plan? It looks to me like you're charging a monthly fee. Sorry, no thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rin

• Oz
    • View Profile
    • Require: Cookie
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »
That's a good question. It should link to the bookmarq.net, the bookmarq.net fan site on facebook. If you tell me where you clicked to "Like" that might save us hours of time in finding where to correct it?
The Facebook social media in your right sidebar, it links to: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008274963796
Main Series   Short Stories

Offline veinglory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
IMHO, I never throw money at something without seeing a plausible way it could go into profit.  I am not seeing it here.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
I'm not paying for reviews, don't care how little they cost and how much better than Kirkus they're supposed to be.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Perry Constantine

• San Diego
  • Action Fiction Author
    • View Profile
    • Percival Constantine - Action Fiction Author
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
The problem with Kirkus reviews is (a) the cost and (b) the quality. They simply do not shape up to a proper newspaper review. Most of the front end of the review is in describing the plot which should not be the purpose of a review.

The main problem with Kirkus reviews is the same one with this system: you're paying someone for a review. Doesn't matter how good that review is, it's still a review that the author paid for, which raises ethical questions. I'm no marketing expert, but this set-up seems very sketchy to me.

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »
Pleased to now you Rin and thanks for the information.

Straying into Kboards has been a little like walking on to a film set. Rin is the Judy Garland figure in the calico dress. Everyone else is antagonistic. But let's see what we can get from the few moments of our lives that each of us have given to this thread. I promise to be honest even if that means taking no prisoners.

I would be interested in knowing if I have it right. Remember I'm not judging who you are but how you come across. Interested to know your thoughts.

DTW 'minds me of every tagger along that you saw in any 1950s B&W western, the idiot running along behind with the noose. Always gets shot, usually by mistake, usually alongside a mule.

1001nightspress?A gal you might meet late at night in a bar in a city you didn't know too well. She's wondering whether to call it a day or go on somewhere. Has legs, real legs.

Good covers on your sig and you seem to be learning as you go on.

I've only just looked at the website which seems to suggest you are running a marketing house for authors.

If that's the case the $10 promo was never really designed for you.

What you have already is good but we can make it much better. We work with niche publishers and we know how to sell books. If you want us to work with us send me an email (paige@paigedoyle.com). I'm the guy in the corner with the cheap suit and dirty shoes (not).

If Veinglory is Emily Veinglory you're the sassy girl reporter, lippy but bright, intelligent. I should probably marry you.

Seriously you find some news stories I had not seen. You should be exploring ways you can work with us not ticking us off. Online we're two weeks old but we're going places.  I need a section editor for Erotic Romance. Send me an email and let's talk.

On Sheila_Guthrie I get a librarian, slightly proper? Whereas Perry Constantine is an Atticus Finch figure (nothing wrong with that).

Let me explain how it works. I have around 120 reviewers at the moment, all of them competent, 35 of them outstanding. They review books for free all the time. The bulk of them even buy the books they review. But the books they review for free are of their choosing. Inevitably they largely choose books by known authors and if you want them to review a book by someone they likely never heard of, then you have to buy their time.

Trade publishers know this. If they can get reviewed for free in a newspaper they will take the option but if they cannot they will put it on NetGalley which they pay for.

All our reviews and reviewers are proudly independent and we don't plug bad books which aren't worth our readers' time.

In detail, for Sheila_Guthrie, the two story collections look interesting. Good illustrations on the covers. I would have liked them to look more like a series so the first sold the second. But what do I know? Blog is OK if you like french beans. It's a charity book (but I would probably put that smaller in your promo). Ask us nicely and we will probably review it for free.

The single page is a one time payment for a listing  MarkOetjens. It gateways you into other areas which you can use to plan a proper marketing strategy which is never a single event. These don't cost any more money but they require a little work on your part to implement them. What the $10 page does is chip away a little more at "the discoverability problem" and means I can begin take an interest in you and your books.

I make a living by selling books. I don't make a living by taking money off authors at $10 a time.

Let me tell you what I now of you right now. You've been ill - sorry to hear that - and you wrote a book some time in 2010 which you self pubbed under an imprint called Conquer. I don't imagine it sold well. You're currently writing short stories - an area so notoriously difficult to market that if an agent had xray eyes he wouldn't open the letter before he dropped it in the bin. You have a website using the default WordPress theme which you publish to quite often but it doesn't line up. How many readers do you get on it a day? 2? 3? I have to tell you, whatever it is, it's spam-bots looking for a way in. If you want me to take an interest in you, you pay me $10. If you don't, then fine I will go away.

Online Herc- The Reluctant Geek

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Reluctant Geek
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »
Steady on there, mate.

There are far too many sharks looking for ways to fleece unsuspecting indie authors that a wee bit of cynicism should be expected. Yours may well develop into a fine service that we will all clamor to use, but while you're still in the setup phase, you should expect a few barbs from a scam-weary community.

Good luck with it, btw. It looks like quite an interesting and potentially useful website.

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »
Hi Herc,

Thanks for that. I hope the response to the doubters was OK. I write and also sell books and I know all about the shark infested waters

Publishing is in a transition stage at the moment but if independent publishing is to work it needs to adopt the values that traditional publishers have developed and perfected over the last 200 years... and then add a bit.

We know and can deliver on the values that traditional publishers have developed and perfected over the last 200 years.

What our marketing teams are continuously looking for and developing is the ability to add a bit.

Offline ricola

• she's singing! love to all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
Reviews with no eyeballs don't mean anything.  I had to leave the house for my most recent ARC giveaway, and I had 23 people sign up in the 4 hours I was gone instead of the 10 I'd wanted, and those reviews will be read by hundreds of people.

Why do I care about reviews I need to pay for, "high quality" or not?  Where are your eyeballs?

And why on earth do you assume that we all care what "trade" (trad, actually--short for traditional) editors or publishers do or think?  i can assure you that there are many of us with no interest in a trad deal that might realistically be offered to us.

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
And why on earth do you assume that we all care what "trade" (trad, actually--short for traditional) editors or publishers do or think?  i can assure you that there are many of us with no interest in a trad deal that might realistically be offered to us.

"Trade publishers" is an established term and they currently account for 94.6% by sales value of the world's published books (online and digital) market. Usage of "Traditional Publishers" (or "trad" as you have it) is largely confined to the Independent Publishers sector. If you don't think the independent sector has anything to learn from Trade Publishing's 200+ year experience of selling books you are delusional.

No one is asking you to buy a review but as you probably know getting volunteer reviews is not easy.

Our eyeballs come from the promotions we run. We have the best book promotional system - bar none - in iRabbit. It's proven in the music and gaming industry and it works not by gathering "friends" but though generating trackable leads that result in proven sales.

You can start to learn about it at:
http://www.bookmarq.net/marketing-packages-overview/

Then come back and try and pick holes.

But please don't bother if you already know everything.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »
Ok, folks....

Ann is probably asleep, Harvey's traveling and I just got to a hotel with WiFi.  Locking the thread while I review.

EDIT: OK, I've read through the thread as it stands, removed one post.

PaigeDoyle, our members might not mind your snarky analysis of those who posted asking the tough questions that should be expected by anyone asking people to fork over hard-earned money, but I do.  I expect a little more patience and civility and a little less snark from someone asking people to buy a service from an unknown entity.

Folks, I'm going to reopen the thread, but I expect civility on all sides.  Tough questions are appropriate, but they can be asked civilly.  I know.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:28:40 PM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Nigel Mitchell

• View Profile
    • Nigel G. Mitchell - Author, Blogger, Geek
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
You can judge a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. That's all I'll say about the earlier name-calling.

I think the question people are asking or at least I am is what will the reviewer bring? Reviews are most valued when they come from big names, especially people the potential reader has heard of. Kirkus can charge so much because readers know they are tough and fair, so a good review from them carries a lot of weight. Reviews from famous authors like Stephen King also can sway readers. But the reviews from a company readers will know only exists for authors to pay to provide reviews, that will bring more of a backlash. Reviews from someone the reader has never heard of, I can get that for free by sending out advanced review copies to people. If you have famous authors or reviewers who've worked for other magazines or websites whose names readers would recognize, that would help.

Also, what am I supposed to do with this review I've paid for? Will you have a central website that regularly posts these reviews for readers to browse? Or do you just give authors the reviews to post on their blog or in their book description? If it's the latter, it will make the review even more suspect, since readers can't verify the source.

Nigel G. Mitchell | blog | twitter

Offline dmac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
A website that will provide me exposure would not take more than 5 seconds to load on a fast cable internet connection. Kboards, for example, takes less than one.

Offline Joseph Turkot

• New Jersey
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 10:44:50 PM »
"Trade publishers" is an established term and they currently account for 94.6% by sales value of the world's published books (online and digital) market.

Have you seen authorearnings.com?

Joseph A. Turkot | Facebook | Mailing List & Website

Offline chris56

• Poconos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »
I don't find any value in paying for a review.  To me, the reviews that have true value are the ones that are posted by people on the sales pages of the book.  Those are the reviews that get the most attention because they're right there in front of prospective buyers.  I just can't see people hunting down a website that has only one review of a book.

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 12:00:18 AM »
In terms of the reviews Nigel we put bookmarq.net up with a lot of services which are designed to be free and the current focus is admittedly on authors. But I'm not really interested in selling services to authors. I'm interested in selling books to the public on behalf of authors.

Currently this is a UK based small business but the three of us who work here are book marketing professionals who can bring expertise to the indie sector that I don't think has ever been offered before and while we don't expect anyone to be grateful we didn't quite expect the hostility - although following Betsy's intervention we can begin to understand the reasons.

iRabbit in particular is a unique book marketing system which is already proven in music marketing - which has many similar characteristics to the business you're all in. We think it can work for authors too.

Yes I have read authorearnings.com Joseph and it's an interesting document. There is also a typo in my statement - it should read (digital and print) market.  The source is Nielsen so I think it is likely to be correct.  What I am saying is trad/trade whatever you want to call them have been around for a long time and they will continue to be so because they get some things - particularly marketing - right. We work with them and they usually know what they are doing.

That's why particularly on top selling authors the traffic is over to them rather than in it is trade pubbed authors coming over to indie. Most of it's about distribution of printed books but depending on  the house they can be pretty good at marketing them. I look at a lot of indie author sites and while some are good -- and most of you are better than most we see -- the average indie author site is appalling. And I don't know any where the author puts any effort into gathering sales data. They just poke them through to Amazon.  How many of you have the gold-dust knowledge of who actually bought your books. My guess is none of you. Amazon has it.

The problem with this building process is the chicken and egg. We need the authors to develop the volume of pages that the public will want to see and read.

So at the moment, Nigel, we're in phase two where we're beginning to split the site down into genres and subjects.  For me to achieve that I need book page content across genres in  volume.

Everything currently sits on bookmarq.net. There are around 900 pages. The plan is to break that down so there are a series of mini-sites each with its own front page so dystopian.bookmarq.net - scifi.bookmarq.net etc etc each on the basis of content and with its own front page, news sections, new this month and pages. I cannot do that on my own. We need the support of the author community.

Bookmarq.net really is a network. It uses a unique multiuser version of WordPress which as been designed bottom-up for writers who want to sell books. Hence we currently host just short of 200 author sites which appear externally like standard WordPress but actually live on our system.

How that works is detailed here: http://www.bookmarq.net/why-bm-blog/

The advantage with that arrangement is we can bring content they add on their own site and run it on the section pages where it should get a great deal more exposure than if it ran just on their own site.

I've tried to put together something which is specifically designed to benefit authors. I now need author support to make it work and that's what I'm really looking for, rather than $10.

In return we're set up to offer free professional advice through "Writer Support" and a directory of services where writers can independently rate the quality of the service they received and post requests on the reviews exchange. All these are available entirely free of charge just through registering.

Not sure where you are DMAC but I get a fast load even when I load in into global monitoring services accessing from a number of locations. Was at 82/100 on the Google scale this morning. That's not bad for a site that runs images (which KBoards does not).

Best wishes

Offline PaigeDoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »
I agree with you Chris56 but we're dividing the site into genres each with its own front page and sub-sections. Note this:
Everything currently sits on bookmarq.net. There are around 900 pages. The plan is to break that down so there are a series of mini-sites each with its own front page so dystopian.bookmarq.net - scifi.bookmarq.net etc etc each on the basis of content and with its own front page, news sections, new this month and pages. I cannot do that on my own. We need the support of the author community.

I think there is a place for a book site which offers editorial at the quality one might find in a books section of a national newspaper but which treats the independent sector on equal terms as it does trade/trad publishing.

I think most people will agree we have the presentation largely right -- if not necessarily the sales pitch to authors. If anyone can help me with that by offering constructive suggestions and/or practical input it will be very welcome. Why not get involved and make it work how you want it to?

Offline Jacqueline_Sweet

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Drunk On Words
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
Writers were pilloried for buying reviews from Fiverr (for $5, no less) because it's unethical to purchase a review.

How is your service any different?

For that matter, couldn't I get more reviews if I just took the $30 or $70 and ran a contest of my own, with the cash as a prize for one lucky reviewer?

Nothing you are offering appears to have any value.

Jacqueline Sweet | Drunk on Words