Author Topic: Kindle Spy  (Read 8142 times)  

Offline Peter Julier

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Kindle Spy
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
I've been hearing a lot about two software programs, Kindle Spy and Kindle Samuari, as tools for selecting productive keywords. Does anyone use any of these? and what do you think of them? 
             Thanks,
                               Pete

Peter Julier

Offline o.gasim

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Spy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Haven't used either of them but my understanding from people that do is that they don't do anything you can't do on your own, but they help mitigate the time spent combing Kindle's searchbar for keywords.

Olivia R. Gasim

Offline KenLozito

• Downingtown
    • View Profile
    • kenlozito.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
I have both. Kindle Samuari crashes...a lot, which is a bit disappointing because the tool has a lot of potential. At this point I would pass on Kindle Samuari. I found Kindle Spy an interesting tool and did save some time identifying authors who are consistently doing well and I don't mean outliers. Some of the keywords it grabs from popular titles don't make much sense and aren't being searched on so I do struggle with finding that part useful. I did spend a number of hours hunting for good keywords, but so far anything I've tried has had little or no effect. I did better or as good typing in search words through the Amazon search bar and testing keywords that way.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ken Lozito | Website | google + | Twitter | Facebook

Offline chaplain119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
I actually just tried to purchase Kindle Spy this morning--their checkout page goes to a 404 page after you input your email address. Anyone else experience this?

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
Spy is fun but not useful. For example, the keywords it finds are useless if you want to find something to help you improve your own. It ALWAYS finds (for example) that the keyword BOOK is fantastic. Really? Maybe it because EVERY bloody series on amazon uses the work book as part of the series thing (series xyz BOOK 2) So where does the fun part come in? It also calculates how much MONEY the title is bringing in. Some of the trad books are absolutely eye popping, I can tell you. We are talking big money.

Samurai though is serious stuff. It does crash sometimes, but its worth the money for the time it saves. ALL it does though is analyse search terms that someone might type into a search at Amazon. You CAN do the same thing by typing in the keywords on amazon, and writing down the phrases that Amazon offers. From those you can see what people are choosing. Samurai does this and goes further by displaying average rankings linked with those keywords, and the number of searches being run using them.

Once you have learned what keywords you like to use for a series though, you'll find you won't use the software anymore. All my series are established ones. I just copy paste my previous keywords for a new book. So it WAS useful once, but unless you have an entirely new series to research, I doubt you will use it very often.

Offline LanceGreencastle

• View Profile
    • Lance Greencastle's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
I have not tried either product, but I got the impression that they would be most useful for non-fiction authors who are looking for under served niches. With fiction there are so many factors that can go into making a book successful that while keywords can help they are not a magic bullet that will automatically make your book a bestseller.

Lance Greencastle | Blog

Offline KenLozito

• Downingtown
    • View Profile
    • kenlozito.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
With Kindle Samurai I found that it crashed more often when I put in 10 search terms.  It was more stable with just 5, which made it slow going.

Ken Lozito | Website | google + | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Melly Mack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
I bought kindlespy yesterday based on a couple glowing recommends on another thread. It worked fine on the first couple pages I tried it on but it no longer works on author pages (as it claims to) or on anything but the top #100 in category results pages. It gives me an error message with a link to a trouble shooting page. However the link does not go to a troubleshooting page but just to the bestseller page on Amazon. I am emailing them this morning, but so far I cannot recommend it.

Offline MH Sargent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
I bought kindlespy yesterday based on a couple glowing recommends on another thread. It worked fine on the first couple pages I tried it on but it no longer works on author pages (as it claims to) or on anything but the top #100 in category results pages. It gives me an error message with a link to a trouble shooting page. However the link does not go to a troubleshooting page but just to the bestseller page on Amazon. I am emailing them this morning, but so far I cannot recommend it.

^^This. I bought it last month and I'm not too impressed with it.
M.H. Sargent

Offline meeriph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
I bought Kindle Spy last week and I am so unimpressed it is ridiculous. I tested it on my own pen name author page and it was completely out, suggesting that my income is 6.5 times what it really is (I wish!)

On other author pages I noticed it is counting free books as if they are paid, although that isn't why my own figures were wrong because I don't have any free books.

The title keyword thing hasn't been much use either. I'd recommend saving your money... I wish I had.

Offline Eva Lefoy

• Washington State!
    • View Profile
    • Writery
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
crap. I just bought it and have requested a refund. There's no way in hades i'm setting up an account with this person so he can slam me with more of his money making schemes.
I write erotica, MM, MF, SFR, Westerns, PNR, BBW, contemporary, romcom, scifi horror, and whatever the heck else comes to mind. Help!

Online Gwen Hayes

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »
Did you watch the troubleshooting video> I was having problems, but the video explained why. It was a matter of refreshing for one problem. All better.

Critique and Editing Services Fresh Eyes Critique and Editing Services

Online Gwen Hayes

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
*that said--I am not sure it's worth the money because you can dial down more on your own and get better tailored results.

Critique and Editing Services Fresh Eyes Critique and Editing Services

Offline Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »
I have Kindle Spy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it crashes. I'd say it works 1/2 the time. Meh. Not worth the money.

TobiasRoote

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
I have bought both these tools and play with them, they are 'just' tools and can help you nail down aspects of your marketing. To expect them to be highly accurate, as anyone in SEO will tell you, is like asking for the holy grail. All you can do with these programs (and they are C H E A P programs) is add them to your arsenal of things to use when you don't know what else to try.

That said, I hate these companies who blatantly try to market [spam] their other stuff. It devalues the items they already sold you and puts a big negative sign in front of their name when it comes up.