Author Topic: KU payout projected at half a cent per page, give or take <MERGED>  (Read 18848 times)  

Offline MatthewBallard

• View Profile
    • Matthew Ballard Author Site
I just received an email from Amazon going over the changes to the KU/KOLL payout model.

Of interest was this line,

As measured using KENPC, during the month of June, KU and KOLL customers read nearly 1.9 billion Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENPs) of KDP Select books.

With this information, can someone better than I with math, calculate the approx payout per page based on the June global fund? It might give us some real world numbers to work with. I was surprised that the pages read was so high.

Matthew Ballard | website | google+ | facebook

Online tknite

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Knite Writes
Re: KDP Reading Model
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »
Based on an estimated fund of $11 million, also from that same email, the payout per page would be roughly $0.0058.

So that's...

$2.32 for 400 pages
$2.03 for 350 pages
$1.74 for 300 pages

And on down...

$0.58 for 100 pages
$0.29 for 50 pages

Hm. So every 100 pages gets you 58 cents more.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:05:48 AM by tknite »
Therin Knite | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | newsletter
Authors! I offer book formatting at Knite & Day Design!
And be sure to ask me about my editing/proofreading services, too!

Offline NoahPorter

• Portland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
It's something like $0.0057.

Unbelievably terrible.

Offline Irelandsgirl1157

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
It's something like $0.0057.

Unbelievably terrible.

Man, I was hoping my math was wrong.. .$0.0057  :(

Offline MatthewBallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Yep, I came up with the same math. But, based on the massive number of pages they've assigned to my book, that's not surprising.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:36:21 AM by MatthewBallard »

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »
and with 0 pages read... I can calculate mine easily. lol

Floyd Looney

Offline AuthorX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
Congratulations. Every writer who wanted this change will now get $1.25 for their 250 page novel... IF and thats a big IF it's read all the way through.

If the numbers in their email is right, then this new KU payout stinks and doesn't help anyone.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:41:09 AM by AuthorX »

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:37:05 AM »
Another interesting point is that that isn't a lot of pages. It makes me think that KU actually has a lot fewer subscribers than Scribd or Oyster.

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Congratulations. Every writer who wanted this change will now get $1.25 for their 250 page novel... IF and thats a big IF it's read all the way through.

If the numbers in their email is right, then this new KU payout stinks and doesn't help anyone.

I bet it helps Amazon. :P

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
I had $0.0054 as a mid range estimate and $0.0027 as low end, so I'm excited!
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
  • Thriller and short story author
    • View Profile
    • author website for Edward G. Talbot
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
Congratulations. Every writer who wanted this change will now get $1.25 for their 250 page novel...  Less than the old system. IF and thats a big IF it's read all the way through.

If the numbers in their email is right, then this new KU payout stinks and doesn't help anyone but people who have 500 page tomb novels.
Except an actual 250 page novel will be assigned a page count for royalty purposes of 400 pages give or take. My 310 page novels have page counts for royalty purposes of 680-696. So those authors will actually be making over $2 for a 250 page novel read all the way through.

As has been discussed since this was announced, writers of very short works (incl kids and books heavy on art) and writers with a lot of readers stopping after 10% but before the end will make less. Writers of anything longer than about 40K words with readers who normally finish the book after reading 10% will come out ahead.
Edward G. Talbot thrillers: Sometimes, everyone IS out to get you.

Offline NoahPorter

• Portland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
How can anyone be happy at $1.25 for a 250 page novel? Amazon is getting what it wants, I guess. Author's becoming okay with selling their hard work for the absolute lowest possible price. They win big. Authors lose big. Same old story.

Offline funthebear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:38 AM »
Another interesting point is that that isn't a lot of pages. It makes me think that KU actually has a lot fewer subscribers than Scribd or Oyster.

What are we comparing it to?

1.9b/300pages = about 6.3 million novels read in June, or about 211,111 per day. That seems like a lot.

Offline funthebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
How can anyone be happy at $1.25 for a 250 page novel? Amazon is getting what it wants, I guess. Author's becoming okay with selling their hard work for the absolute lowest possible price. They win big. Authors lose big. Same old story.

Exactly. We were all b*tching about it dropping below $1.50, and now we're happy with this? There's always a trade off between volume and unit price, but at some point things get devalued too much.

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:46:45 AM »

KU pushes out about double the sale as other sale channels, so 1.25 can be good for people who price their novels at 2.99 or below. Any price higher than that, and those people are better off going wide.

If these numbers are true, short stories are dead in KU. It's as simple as that. You make more money going wide.

Again, Amazon could solve all these problems with one move: drop exclusivity requirement. They would make more money and we would make more money. Of course, KU isn't about Amazon making money, it's about them attempting to kill off more competitors.

Offline MatthewBallard

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »
Amazon set the pages on my recent release, 124,000 words, to 909 pages. You can see it in my sig below (Maylin's Gate). I have that on sale for $4.99. Under this model, I would get paid $5.13 for a full read through. That's MORE than I earn on a sale. I'll take it.  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:49:27 AM by MatthewBallard »

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
What are we comparing it to?

1.9b/300pages = about 6.3 million novels read in June, or about 211,111 per day. That seems like a lot.

Well, Scribd has around 80 million subscribers for example.

Offline Mytransformations

• View Profile
KU payout projected at half a cent per page, give or take <MERGED>
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »
Just got an email from Amazon saying that payout in July will be "at least 11 million" while pages read in June was 1.9 billion. Doing the math, that's about half a penny per page.

I understand what Amazon was trying to do, but this will likely reduce my borrow income by 80% and cost me hundreds of dollars per month.

Here's a proposal for Amazon instead.

Go back to the old system of paying per book. But instead of Amazon counting a read as "10%" of the book, have it be 20 pages. That makes it more fair to the longer books, which had to hold reader's attention proportionally longer to be counted as a read, even though they were providing more content. Amazon could also provide some kind of small bonus for having a longer book.

But the pages read thing looks like it is going to devastate everyone, except those who have written very long series-style works. If this doesn't change, I'll have to pull all my books about of KDP.

Offline Phronk

• London, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Phronk.com
New KU Pays About 0.6 Cents Per Page
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
If my math is right.

I just got an email from Amazon saying that 1.9 billion pages were read in June. If that stays about the same in July, with a pool of $11 million, that's $0.0057, or about 0.6 cents.

I'll make waaaay less money, but oh well, it's a much fairer system than before.

Offline MatthewBallard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »
The first in my series, priced to sell at 99 cents, will earn approx. $3.40 for a full read through (682 pages). That beats the $1.34 I would've earned otherwise.

Offline TuckerAuthor

• View Profile
    • Alan Tucker  Fantasy/SciFi Author
Re: New KU Pays About 0.6 Cents Per Page
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
If my math is right.

I just got an email from Amazon saying that 1.9 billion pages were read in June. If that stays about the same in July, with a pool of $11 million, that's $0.0057, or about 0.6 cents.

Yep, I was just doing those calculations too. My pages count is higher than I expected for the books I have in Select, however, so the payout for my 70,000 word novels is looking to be in the $2.30 range, by those figures. I'm certainly much happier with that than $1.37.

Offline noob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Amazon set the pages on my recent release, 124,000 words, to 909 pages. You can see it in my sig below (Maylin's Gate). I have that on sale for $4.99. Under this model, I would get paid $5.13 for a full read through. That's MORE than I earn on a sale. I'll take it.  :)

i'm in the same boat for several novels. not quite that long, but 650+ pages equals more than my paid royalty. IF read through.

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
Edited now that I've calmed down a bit:

I've swung my catalog around and emphasized long page counts, gave up on shorts entirely, and things are working out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:16:56 AM by bobfrost »

Offline HillOnLong

• The Old Continent
    • View Profile
Ask and you shall receive!

And the math: Approximately 11 Million USD pot of June divided by 1.9 billion KENPCs is 0.579 cents ($0.00579) per KENPC.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:00:12 AM by C.S. Longhill »

Offline noob

• View Profile
This is basically worse than any scenario I could have imagined.

Half a penny a page kills everyone. Novels make less. Shorts make less. Everyone makes less.

This is a disaster. A total disaster. Even if they double the pool this is a disaster.

It's the non 10% books doing it. Previously we only got paid on books read to 10%. There were probably countless books that didn't get to that threshold. Under the new system, those books are getting paid. Pages read and paid for goes through the roof and we all suffer.

i dunno. i have several novels with new page counts around 650. at .005 a page that's $3.25 a read-through. still a lot of questions: will these page counts stick? what's the price gunna be? what's my read through? but right now i make more per borrow on that book than i do on a sale royalty.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac