Author Topic: Inkitt anyone?  (Read 4914 times)  

Offline RipleyKing

• View Profile
Inkitt anyone?
« on: July 13, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Checking the email when this popped up.  :-\

Hi, I found you while browsing Goodreads, and thought you might be interested in what I have been working on.
I am part of a small team called Inkitt - we've built a free platform to help authors reach their full potential and build a reader base.

Today we are launching a new Horror writing contest, "End Game":
http://inkitt.com/endgame

I was hoping that perhaps you could help us spread the word about the contest by simply posting a call for submissions. I'd be happy to send you a summary if you'd like to publish a detailed blogpost.
Alternatively you could just tweet or share the contest page to help spread the message and get more authors online and publishing.

Our most active users include literary professors as well as published authors and students of literature. We are proud of the high number of professional reviews and mature stories on the platform and continually watch our content and community grow.
Let me know what you think. I would love for you to be involved.

(By the way, we are also launching a Fantasy contest today, in case you are interested!)

All the best,

Mihaly Borbely
Head of Marketing | Inkitt.com
Sanderstrasse 28 12047 Berlin Germany

Note the address above. Now, from what I gather it's a new site with some reader/author participation, but I'd like some other opinions. It has the possibility of being a ground-floor opportunity to gain followers, and this might be popular with German readers. I don't know.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Inkitt anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:24:18 PM »
It's some sort of writing contest, but the biggest drawback is that a fan has to register with inkitt to vote, etc. I already have enough crap I have to register for, so registering just to vote is no Bueno.

That being said, I do have two stories up on two of the contests.

Offline Holly A Hook

• Swartz Creek, MI
    • View Profile
    • HollyAnneHook
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
I just entered a short story in their science fiction contest.  They contacted me on Twitter.

The site itself looks good, sort of like Wattpad, but I think the contests could be handled better.  Basically, once you enter, you're taken to a screen that recommends you ask for votes on your social networking sites.  Only those stories with the top 10% number of votes get looked at by the editors and have a chance to win.

In other words, it seems like the first half of the contest is based on who has the biggest social media reach rather than on writing merit.  I personally don't care for that and it's not just because I suck at social media.  I do feel bad for writers who don't have a lot of Facebook friends or fans who will vote for their story.  They could have an awesome story that will never even get looked at by the editors. 

Offline Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
I wouldn't submit to a contest that has to beg for submissions...

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »
They contacted me through Twitter, but I saw they were doing the same with any author they could find, so I ignored it.
Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
Plus once you're in the contest they spam you every other day to promote.

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
Three months in a row, whenever they start a new contest, I've been contacted on Twitter and via E-mail. The first Twitter one I responded and thanked them for the offer but I didn't have time. Since then, I've just ignored them.

A tad annoying that they keep sending messages out. But I'm also not a big fan of voting, and since anyone can sign up, any story up in a contest can be read by anyone. Since some of my stories are still making the rounds in slush piles, I didn't want to touch that gray area of does this count as published or not. Plus I don't want to beg people to vote for me.  :P I'd much rather indie publish my shorts than try to take part in a popularity contest.

Just how I feel, though!
GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 35%

Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (1st Draft): 100%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline RipleyKing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 07:19:51 PM »
I wondered about the Wattpad comparison myself, and would probably like the site more if they were a lot like Wattpad, only based in Germany with a lot of English reading Germans. Thanks on letting me know what's going on here. I'll pass on this. Save myself some trouble.

Offline katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
And now I got a PM here from them. *sighs*
Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
I wouldn't submit to a contest that has to beg for submissions...
I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member.  :)

Online The 13th Doctor

• Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
And now I got a PM here from them. *sighs*

I just got a PM from them, too. Never heard of them until reading their message and seeing this thread (I must have missed this thread originally).

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »
*glances around meaningfully at the walls and ceiling*

Ahem. Instead of sending messages to random people whose emails you've lifted from their kboards profiles about placing their unpublished work on a site most of them have never heard of, perhaps a better strategy would be to start a new topic in WC to talk a little about your site and explain what's in it for them to provide you with what amounts to free content. It looks a lot less scammy that way, and given the number of people out there who try to prey on indie authors, appearances can make a big difference in how you're received around here.

Just sayin'. Hypothetically. In case anyone happens to be listening.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Fredster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
I just got a PM from them, too. Never heard of them until reading their message and seeing this thread (I must have missed this thread originally).
Not even just a PM -- a PM from an account with zero posts (for me, anyway).

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »
Heck, even I got a pm from them. Do I look like an author?  :-\

I didn't know one could send pm's without at least having posted once.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online The 13th Doctor

• Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
Not even just a PM -- a PM from an account with zero posts (for me, anyway).

Yeah, zero posts when they sent the message to me, too.

Offline Domino Finn

• Dark Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • DominoFinn.com
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »
Inkitt is a slick-looking Wattpad site. Kinda cool, but they probably have audience issues, and they're going about getting an audience the worst way possible: by spamming their authors.

An example is their contest system. The only purpose of their contests is to have entrants spam social media to tell people about Inkitt.

And like someone else in this thread mentioned, Inkitt spams authors who create accounts and enter their contests. I get tons of emails from them that don't have unsubscribe options. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have uploaded my short story for that reason alone.

Ultimately there are too many sites like this. I fall they're gonna do is ask authors to generate their traffic, they're gonna fail.

Domino Finn | website | twitter | facebook