Author Topic: Reedsy Editer & Formatting Tool -  (Read 2985 times)  

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
Reedsy Editer & Formatting Tool -
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »
I met Ricardo from Reedsy at NINC last October.  I was sitting in on his panel where he's explaining who Reedsy is and things they had in development.  One thing he showed us was the Reedsy Editor.  Yesterday, I had a chance to do a google hangout with him and see a demonstration via screenshare because they are close to launching it. The video below is the link he shared with me that prompted me to ask for more details and the hangout!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcHG1dLwwc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcHG1dLwwc</a>

So you can use it to write, to open up to an editor, format and output it as an ebook and even .pdf for createspace!  I know I'm big on my vocal support of Vellum, but it looks like after this launches... and they get more features added, it'll do the things Vellum does, and gives a print on demand option for formatting!  It's web based so it works with every operating system that has access to the internet.  The price for this is going to be free. 

The version I saw to start with didn't have all the bells and whistles yet... for example drop caps and ornamental breaks.... You can do it, but it would probably have to be done via a template or inserted in manually.  The first release is in about 2 weeks roughly, and they are already planning on features to add once it goes live.  I'll try it out when it does and see how it works. :D

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Reedsy Editer & Formatting Tool -
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
Looks kind of cute. Never found anything that really formats for Createspace, though. Always get stuck with widows and orphans so I always resort back to doing it manually in Word. Will certainly check out any free trials.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline CarlaBaku

• The actual middle of nowhere.
  • Stop touching me. Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
    • Carla Baku
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:47:19 AM »
Thanks for passing this info along, Boyd. I will definitely be looking into it when I'm back at my desk. I've been pining over Vellum for a while, but I'm mostly a PC user and would have to spend money on a Macbook to use Vellum. Not likely.  ;) Yeah, do let us know how it works for you--looking forward to hearing more from the trenches.
"This is the writer's life. And for this there is no teacher left. So go for it. Wow yourself." --Scott Herndon, Stanford University

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
I know Vellum requires more brains than I have to use it (well I assume it does). Does this seems and cut and dry as, say, scrivener?

ETA: OK, I know srcivener is bad for paper formatting but it's sooo easy for ebook!
Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cozy Fantasy / Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
I know Vellum requires more brains than I have to use it (well I assume it does). Does this seems and cut and dry as, say, scrivener?

ETA: OK, I know srcivener is bad for paper formatting but it's sooo easy for ebook!

Vellum is easy peasy lemon squeezy and it makes some very sexy books.  That being said, it's a Mac only program and it doesn't format for paperback/POD (yet?!).  I'm a big Vellum fan, but I must say, having a free option that works on all platforms has me wondering if there isn't going to be some big changes coming.  I'm definitely going to test some out for sure.  I have a couple of books on the backlist that I'll test out for KENPC differences etc.

Offline Peter Spenser

• near Buffalo, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »
I know Vellum requires more brains than I have to use it (well I assume it does).

You assume way too much. Vellum actually requires even fewer brains than you think that you have.  ;D  It is extremely easy.

Does [Vellum] seem as cut-and-dried as, say, Scrivener? Scrivener is bad for paper formatting but it's sooo easy for ebooks!

You are the first Scrivener user that I have ever heard say that!

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
You assume way too much. Vellum actually requires even fewer brains than you think that you have.  ;D  It is extremely easy.

You are the first Scrivener user that I have ever heard say that!
Haha :) maybe it's just the threads of terrified people having endless problems with formatting in general that made me assume it was hard?

I only use Scrivener for the basics. I got it mid last year and really only use the layout and cork board, the word counts and the compile. There are other features I'd love to use but they're not on the pc version yet! 

Cozy Fantasy / Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 01:15:49 PM »
Did they happen to mention downloads for any other formats, like RTF / DOCX?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
  • Failure is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 08:22:25 AM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to import a docx or other format into Reedsy so I'm not copying and pasting my chapters one by one into their interface?
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill:
 Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now (secret babies optional)
George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
Hey all, Ricardo from Reedsy here, thought I'd jump on the thread quickly to answer the questions. But first, we've launched this week, so if you want to test out the Reedsy Book Editor, head here: https://reedsy.com/write-a-book
This is kind of an early release and all the features are not there yet, but we'll be adding them in the next few weeks/months.

Export is to both ePub and print-ready, IngramSpark/Createspace-compliant PDF. We might add customizable .mobi in the future but we're starting with that. We've checked the ePubs we output and they all convert perfectly into mobis using Amazon's converter.

Did they happen to mention downloads for any other formats, like RTF / DOCX?

That's not in our plans, no. Why would you like an export to those? (Smashwords accepts our ePubs)

Does anyone know if it's possible to import a docx or other format into Reedsy so I'm not copying and pasting my chapters one by one into their interface?

That's our next feature, and it'll be available in a month or so. If your word doc is formatted into sections, those will automatically be imported as chapters :) In the meantime, the copy-pasting takes a bit of time, but then you can save hours on the formatting work.

Online Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
That's not in our plans, no. Why would you like an export to those? (Smashwords accepts our ePubs)

Because it appears the tool encourages writing within it, and exporting only to production-ready formats is not very flexible. It effectively locks writers into Reedsy's production flow. For example, writers may find it difficult to share their work with an editor they may have selected outside of Reedsy, who probably would not be happy to receive an ePub or PDF.

They might also like a more accessible version of their book for their records, or to keep it preserved if they somehow lose access to the Reedsy tool. Writers will lack a master copy if they write within the tool.

Not to say that's unreasonable, as it is a free tool after all--but I was curious if there were plans to give authors more direct control and access to their own work.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:34:05 AM by phillipgessert »

Offline MelodieRochelle

• Minnesota
  • Cold hands, warm heart
    • View Profile
    • Melodie Rochelle
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
Thanks for posting!

:) Sci-fi fantasy and childrens book writer :)

Offline Trans-Human

• Southeast Europe
  • Cat-2-Human Trans-Zoa. My prefered pronouns: Meow!
    • View Profile
    • ... A Writer After Dark
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
Because it appears the tool encourages writing within it, and exporting only to production-ready formats is not very flexible. It effectively locks writers into Reedsy's production flow. For example, writers may find it difficult to share their work with an editor they may have selected outside of Reedsy, who probably would not be happy to receive an ePub or PDF.

They might also like a more accessible version of their book for their records, or to keep it preserved if they somehow lose access to the Reedsy tool. Writers will lack a master copy if they write within the tool.

Not to say that's unreasonable, as it is a free tool after all--but I was curious if there were plans to give authors more direct control and access to their own work.

+1 on the reasons laid out.

You guys will do well to add those.
Genres: Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Superhero

Project 1: 28%

Project 2: 18%
Works in Progress ^^^:
A Writer After Dark | About.Me | Twitter | Google+

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
Sounds good, I'll have a chat with our dev team about having an export that's not ePub or PDF. In any case, there will be a way to share it with beta-readers or co-authors, we're currently working on that  :)

Btw, we're holding an "As us anything" on Reddit right now, with the two creators of the Reedsy Book Editor answering any questions live. It's here if you want to join.

Offline Trans-Human

• Southeast Europe
  • Cat-2-Human Trans-Zoa. My prefered pronouns: Meow!
    • View Profile
    • ... A Writer After Dark
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
Sounds good, I'll have a chat with our dev team about having an export that's not ePub or PDF. In any case, there will be a way to share it with beta-readers or co-authors, we're currently working on that  :)

Btw, we're holding an "As us anything" on Reddit right now, with the two creators of the Reedsy Book Editor answering any questions live. It's here if you want to join.

I went through your Reddit AMA and checked your site out in more detail, and I ended up signing up :)

I'm looking forward to working with you guys.
Genres: Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Superhero

Project 1: 28%

Project 2: 18%
Works in Progress ^^^:
A Writer After Dark | About.Me | Twitter | Google+

Offline vaughanwsmith

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Author Site
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 06:05:19 AM »
Hi I gave the new tool a go, and thought I would provide some comments*. I think it's a really cool idea, but cannot use it in its current state. I would really like it to work, as I want to use IngramSpark for expanded distribution and I'm worried about their stricter requirements and inflexibility over CreateSpace.

• Inserting your logo on the title page is a dealbreaker. I appreciate that it's a free tool (and the reference on the copyright page is more in line with what I expected) but there needs to be another way. It can't look like it is your book, or that the author used a dodgy free site.
  • The Author Name is bigger than the Title on the Title Page - this seems like an odd default, the only occasions I see it this way in a paperback is when the author name is ludicrously large
  • 'Chapters' in the Front Matter need to have a name - otherwise they are referred to as Chapter in the table of contents. Many many books have title-less front matter pages
  • There is an enforced table of contents - not a good thing for fiction
  • Because you need to add a 'Chapter' in the front matter to add content, it adds a superfluous page break as if it were a real chapter break
  • Blank lines within chapters of the book are removed. I have sections where there are small passages, like messages that are separated by a single line either side to show they are distinct from the narrative. These don't work well with the additional lines removed
  • Adding Images isn't available on the toolbar yet.
  • The above items, plus the start chapter on right page style setting, means that 2 chapters into my book the Reedsy PDF is already 9 pages ahead. My book has 30 chapters, so that's a lot of additional pages potentially.

Anyway maybe there's a plan for some of those items, or maybe different templates will act differently. However to make this a realistic option for people to use I think it needs a bit more configuration and sophistication.

I am glad somebody is doing it, as I honestly don't think paperbacks should require the amount of finessing that they do currently.

* apparently the word feed back is censored.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:07:16 AM by vaughanwsmith »

Vaughan W. Smith | Website | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
Hi I gave the new tool a go, and thought I would provide some comments*. I think it's a really cool idea, but cannot use it in its current state. I would really like it to work, as I want to use IngramSpark for expanded distribution and I'm worried about their stricter requirements and inflexibility over CreateSpace.

Thanks for the feedback, that's much appreciated! I agree with you, we pushed a first version of the editor that works really well for a good number of authors, but definitely requires more sophistication and customization in order to work for (almost) everyone.
All the stuff you mentioned are things we're currently working on and they will be changed/implemented within the next month. We will also progressively be adding more templates. The only thing that's going to take a bit more time is the blank lines within chapters we still need to figure out how best to allow that. But everything else is really almost ready to be changed (images can already be added via "drag and drop", and the upload button will soon be functional as well).

Thanks again, and everyone please let me know if you have any comments/feedback, we're taking quite a bit of time/resources to build this free tool for authors so we want to get it right  :)

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »
Hi all, thanks again for your feedback on our tool it's really much appreciated. And just to show you how much we take that stuff into account, I'm pleased to tell you that all 8 points raised by vaughanwsmith have been solved.  ;)

More information about our update to the Reedsy Book Editor in our newsletter here.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »
We've now had over 1,500 books typeset/formatted using our Reedsy Book Editor. I'll admit it had a few bugs and lacked a few features at launch, but it's now really solid. Again, if you want to give it a try, I'd love to get your feedback as that is how we've been building it so far through feedback :)

If you're curious as to how it works and how to use it, here's a good "how-to" post we recently published, also comparing it to other book formatting tools: https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-format-a-book