Author Topic: Anyone used PublishDrive, the new distributor?  (Read 2373 times)  

Offline BVLawson

• View Profile
    • BV's website
Anyone used PublishDrive, the new distributor?
« on: May 22, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
At the recent BEA IndieFringe festival, a representative of the distributor http://publishdrive.com/ gave a presentation, archived here:

http://selfpublishingadvice.org/distribute-more-books-in-more-territories-kinga-jentetics/

The terms looks similar to Draft2Digital, but they include some stores not currently offered in D2D, Smashwords, Streetlib, XinXii, or Pronoun, such as allromanceebooks.com, Bookline.hu, BookShout!, ciando.com, dibook.hu, e-letoltes, E-sentral.com, Ekonyv.hu, Elefant.ro, Gardners.com, ipubs.hu, legimi.com, Libri.hu, Lira.hu, Multimediaplaza.com, Odilo.es, redshelf.com, rockstand.in, tookbook.com, tradebit.com.  They also distribute to GooglePlay, for those who want an "in" to that bookstore (like Streetlib and XinXii).

FYI, one thing that may or may not affect a decision is they use DRM. They take a 10% cut of net profits and pay via bank deposit monthly after 60 days (like D2D). They also say they work with their partner stores to feature member books.

I'm wondering if it's worth my time (or yours) to include my books in this store, as well as Streetlib and XinXii to gain access to all the smaller stores? Maybe it wouldn't result in a lot of sales, but are even a few worth it?

Scott Drayco series named Best Mystery in the Next Generation Indie Awards & a Shamus Award Finalist
BV Lawson | website | newsletter | facebook | twitter | pinterest | blog

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: Anyone used PublishDrive, the new distributor?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
Looks like you have to provide your own ISBNs and also they require a one-year commitment.  Not clear if that's book-by-book or just you have to have at least one book published with them for the entire year.
8 Pen Names.

Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Only NF titles under Cassie Leigh and M.L. Humphrey.

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »
Looks like you have to provide your own ISBNs and also they require a one-year commitment.  Not clear if that's book-by-book or just you have to have at least one book published with them for the entire year.

Where did you find that info? I checked their website and found very little information. For claiming to be so "transparent" there's not much to see.

They send your books to the big distributors-you can go direct and save 10%. Not seeing how this company would benefit me.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline BVLawson

• View Profile
    • BV's website
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
Here is the FAQ link:

http://publishdrive.com/faq/

About the ISBN, "In PublishDrive we may provide you with ISBN, but in case of public domain books, we are unable to arrange ISBN for you." Sounds like standard procedure, a la D2D and Smashwords.

Regarding the one-year thing:  "PublishDrive offers a one year contract with publishers. The reason behind this term that publishing books requires time and effort from your side and our side as well and it returns its investment only if we look at our relationship as a partnership. So breaking this partnership before 1 year can make no sense in many aspects. However, we are very flexible regarding the channels where you distribute your books, we do not ask for exclusive partnership meaning that you can sell your ebooks in your own store as well, or you may decide to switch off one channel in PublishDrive."

and

"We believe that you will like what PublishDrive does on a long term, however if you pull out your whole catalogue before one year without any explanation such as we broke the contract at one point, or any other viable reason such as you do not own the copyrights for your book or your legal entity has been terminated etc., you will be behaving against the contract and breaking its terms. We believe in a long term partnership with you and a two-sided communication, so please let us know if you face with any kind of problem, we will try to find a solution which is good for both of us."

They don't specify what the penalty is, though. Something to keep in mind if you think you might be switching in and out of Amazon Select.

I'm already in Smashwords and D2D, using different stores in each one (depending upon the book or series). The idea of adding yet another distributor gives me pause, but I do want to go as wide as possible. However, it may be more time/effort than is worth it. But if you've used this new company, chime in!

Scott Drayco series named Best Mystery in the Next Generation Indie Awards & a Shamus Award Finalist

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
I've never heard of 90% of those outlets. One issue with getting into some of these foreign (to those of us in the US) markets is how hard it is to get books taken down if needed, or to have changes made (updated files, price changes). There have been stories that are nightmarish about those issues.

Also, I don't want to be tied into a one year contract -- though it seems it isn't required, they're quite pushy in that terminology -- and certainly don't want to be penalized for removing books from non-selling platforms.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Michael Alan Peck

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • MichaelAlanPeck.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »
I've never heard of 90% of those outlets. One issue with getting into some of these foreign (to those of us in the US) markets is how hard it is to get books taken down if needed, or to have changes made (updated files, price changes). There have been stories that are nightmarish about those issues.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've learned the hard way that it can take months and months for a book to come down from some of those places.

Michael Alan Peck | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
  • Thank you, Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Queen Books
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
The idea of trying to reach obscure markets doesn't sound so bad to me...but not being able to opt out of DRM is a deal-breaker for me. If someone buys one of my books, I want them to be able to share it between devices and friends, and I'll trust them not to pirate it. Unless PublishDrive changes their position on DRM, I won't consider using them.
Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline Learning by lurking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »
If I am reading this right, unlike D2D and Smashwords they are charging you half a cent per page to convert your books to the appropriate formats.

"If you need assistance for ebook conversion, we can help you with that as well. Conversion is optional, 0.5 USD per page."

http://publishdrive.com/pricing/

Offline BVLawson

• View Profile
    • BV's website
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
I think you're right about the conversion per-page fee. If you upload your own ePUB file, it's free.  But if an author can't do that, it will be more money that Draft2Digital and Smashwords, for sure....

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
Here is the FAQ link:

http://publishdrive.com/faq/

About the ISBN, "In PublishDrive we may provide you with ISBN, but in case of public domain books, we are unable to arrange ISBN for you." Sounds like standard procedure, a la D2D and Smashwords.

Oh, okay.  I stopped at that first part of the FAQ.  "How Can I Apply For an ISBN?" and they said "We strongly advise you to contact your local ISBN agency: https://www.isbn-international.org/agencies."  But you're right, they then follow it with "In PublishDrive we may provide you with ISBN, but in case of public domain books, we are unable to arrange ISBN for you."

There seems to be a little non-native English speaking going on.  They show as UK based, but one of the phone numbers is for Hungary.
8 Pen Names.

Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Only NF titles under Cassie Leigh and M.L. Humphrey.

Offline Rachel E. Rice

• View Profile
    • Rachel E. Rice Writes All
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
I have my books in Allromanceebooks and it's easy to publish there. The only problem where I'm concerned is their payment schedule. As far as Xinxii it takes months to get your books taken down. Furthermore, I have yet to make a dime from Xinxii. I just remembered, I have books there. 

Check for more books by Rachel E. Rice and R.E. Rice
Rachel E. Rice | blog | website

Offline Gator

• Half price? Tattoo a pegasus on each shoulder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 02:19:18 PM »
If I am reading this right, unlike D2D and Smashwords they are charging you half a cent per page to convert your books to the appropriate formats.

"If you need assistance for ebook conversion, we can help you with that as well. Conversion is optional, 0.5 USD per page."

http://publishdrive.com/pricing/

Be careful with the decimal:  0.5 USD = US$0.50 = 50 cents.

That's 50 cents per page, or $150 for converting 300 pages, not $1.50.

Offline Marie Long

• "Falling in love is a beautiful struggle..."
    • View Profile
    • Marie Long, Romance Author
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
I saw this and wanted to see what the KBoards folks had to say. I haven't heard of many of those ebook outlets. It looks like the majority of them are foreign markets. I looked at some of the books in those stores, and most are all written in their native language (India? Taiwan? Somewhere in the far east). I haven't seen many English books in the catalogs on those sites.

While it's nice to have books distributed everywhere, it doesn't do any good if no one goes to those sites, or if your book will simply get overlooked in some of these foreign markets because it is in English. I've had books on Smashwords and they were distributed to that store called Diesel. I didn't see not one sale on there, and I've heard a lot of people have never seen sales on that channel. So yes, while it's nice to have your book distributed there, it seems like a waste if the customers aren't there.

I see more and more of these aggregator sites popping up. This seems to be the new trend for 2016. But so far, none of them have been very appealing. D2D is the best one out there in terms of structure and integrity for as long as they have been in business (I remember the day they first started up :)
I am curious about Pronoun, though. I love their sleek website, and they have a potential to do some great things. I just hope their teaming up with McMillian doesn't turn them into another Author Solutions. I'm trying to think positive, though.

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
Be careful with the decimal:  0.5 USD = US$0.50 = 50 cents.

That's 50 cents per page, or $150 for converting 300 pages, not $1.50.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline ramona.tanay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:00:41 AM »
Hi there, this is Ramona from PublishDrive.

I signed up to kboards so that if any of you have any questions regarding PublishDrive, I'm here & happy to answer.

Let me jump in the conversation and clear up some misconceptions about PublishDrive.

CONTRACT
There used to be a one year contract with publishers, this is true, but not anymore and we do not ask for exclusivity. You are free to sell your ebooks in your own store or with other aggregators as well.

PAYMENT
We guarantee to pay you out in the next month. At PublishDrive we introduced "earn as you sell" payment term assuring publishers to pay them in time, whether the funds from the retailers have arrived or not. Read more: https://publishdrive.com/earn-as-you-sell

ISBN

You don't need an ISBN to publish with PublishDrive anymore. Back in October we introduced 'PUI' (PublishDrive's Unique Identifier) to help our publishers speed up their administration processes. You can publish instantly on your chosen stores and no need to spend money, time and effort on administration.

EBOOK CONVERSION

Our ebook conversion service has changed a bit. We calculate our rates based on the length of the book and the graphical elements. For more information please contact our support service at support@publishdrive.com

Hope some of the information was helpful.
Feel free to comment and add your thoughts.

Best,
Ramona

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 05:30:33 AM »
Well, I guess a year late isn't so bad. Still nothing about the DRM, but if I recall, some countries require it on ebooks (like I think France did or does). I don't like it, but it's easy enough to learn how to get around it, so I don't fuss.

I know having books "wide" is a good thing (for many, at any rate), and I have some books roaming around myself, but I've come to feel that it's not worth the hassle to be in some of these really small stores. I've limited D2D and Smashwords in where my stuff is uploaded. But, that's my take.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »
One issue with getting into some of these foreign (to those of us in the US) markets is how hard it is to get books taken down if needed, or to have changes made (updated files, price changes). There have been stories that are nightmarish about those issues.

This is what I was wondering. If you want to be in Select it could be a nightmare getting the books removed, unless they agree to do it for you.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
While it probably isn't wise to switch back and forth between wide and Select (frustrates too many potential customers if one pops in and out), I can see someone who is wide deciding to try Select. If Amazon straightened out KU, for example, or introduced some other substantial benefit not currently available, that might be enough to get someone to make a change. When that happens, who wants to wait months while some  small bookstore you never heard of takes your books down? I'm not currently wide, but if I was to go wide again, I'd probably use only the big outlets, whose behavior is much more predictable. It's rare for anyone to report huge sales from one of these small stores, and as someone else noted, if the store predominately caters to another language, it's extremely unlikely sales will be robust.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:59 AM »
I mainly went with publishdrive to get into foreign markets, including GooglePlay, and I've been happy with them to date. That said, I've not really pushed those markets. GP has given me a few extra dollars a month -- nothing life-changing, but I can't complain. I had a couple of instances where I needed to communicate with them (Google Play's fault, not PublishDrive's) and they were quick to reply.

It's simple to use - not quite as easy as D2D or Pronoun, but if you have a basic knowledge of the other sites, it's still fairly easy. If you're already wide, I'd suggest opting in to the markets with PublishDrive that you haven't covered yet, although I wouldn't go switching from D2D/Pronoun, unless you're particularly unhappy with the others. Also, check the commission rates before committing to aggregator.
Secret New Pen Name: 100%