Author Topic: Promote Your Work with the Indie Anthology 2016 - PUBLISHED!  (Read 18097 times)  

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
  • Failure is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
We're creating a multi-genre indie author flash fiction anthology to cross-promote ourselves to new readers. You're invited! Please submit stories by Aug 8, 2016 so we can publish by Sep 5, 2016.

The Plan:
  • To create a cross-promo indie author flash fiction anthology.
  • To introduce new readers to us - fine indie authors - so we can sell more books!
  • To publish it no later than Sep 5, 2016.
  • To publish it wide and permafree where possible (99c where it's not).
  • To distribute it to your mailing list free of charge.

The Requirements:
  • Any author is welcome who has at least one indie fiction title published, an author website and mailing list (no matter the subscriber count).
  • Pen names are fine as long as they meet the requirements.
  • Please submit up to 3 stories per author name. At least 1 must be never-before-published. The other two must not have been previously printed more than once - printed meaning published in an anthology or periodical.
  • Submissions must be complete stories - with a beginning, middle and end - and never excerpts.
  • Story length: ideally 1,000 words or less. You can go up to 1,500 if you really need it.
  • You must have your story proofread and line-edited prior to submission, by you or someone else. Please don't submit messy drafts, only final work. Although I'm an editor and the editor of this project, this is unpaid volunteer work, so please pitch in (or hire me for a special flat rate of $5 per story - see below).
  • Stories are due Aug 8, 2016, which gives you about 9 weeks.
  • Any genre except erotica. (Only because we don't want the anthology getting hidden from searches and whatnot.)
  • Make it a new-ish story and make it a great story. This introduces not just participating authors but also the greater indie community of authors to new readers. Let's put our best feet forward.
  • Submit your stories here: http://goo.gl/forms/cPaEXPuJQ57ckl163.

The Firmer-than-Titanium Schedule:
Stories Due: Aug 8, 2016
Final Proofing: Aug 22, 2016 (I'll send you a draft of the anthology and ask you to proof your story and one other.)
Publish (Wide): Sep 5, 2016

Please Help Me With:
  • getting the word out to other indie authors so they can submit stories, too (most important);
  • messaging every person in the old thread so we can get their submissions;
  • the cover;
  • marketing; and
  • please suggest title ideas (save them all up for one post per person, please). Perhaps we'll run a poll at a later date.

To hire me to line edit and proofread your story/ies for the special flat rate of $5 each, email me@georgedonnelly.com with the subject line: "Edit my flash fiction story for $5 please." This is entirely optional and not in the least required. It will get you a great editing job but not any kind of preference in the anthology.

If you'd like an editor credit, email me. I'll need you to proofread 20 stories for me and to bring in at least 10 new stories, in addition to your own.

This is a community-organized project to breathe new life into the Stories on the Go #2 anthology that stalled. Here is the old thread. Kudos to Andrew on his work to date!

I'm open to your ideas/changes and ready to answer your questions. I'll keep this first post updated with important developments. Thanks in advance and I look forward to working with you!

Rights:

Here's the license I'm asking you to agree to. It's plainly visible at the end of the submission form:

I affirm that I am the owner of the content provided herein and am granting a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable license to use the content as part of the anthology "Indie Anthology 2016," (title subject to change) edited by George Donnelly. Once the anthology is published, I promise to promote it to the best of my ability through my author website, mailing list and social media account(s). (If you don't agree, please don't submit the form.)

If using Google Docs

If you're using Google Docs, please share the story with george.donnelly@gmail.com or just grant access upon request to that address.

UPDATES:

6 Jun: 2 submissions + Andrew (the founding editor) sent me the contact information for 43 authors who previously submitted stories to him. I've emailed them.

8 Jun: 6 submissions and counting!

10 Jun: 9 submissions so far.

14 Jun: 11 submissions.

29 Jun: 17 submissions.

17 Jul: 22 submissions.

29 Jul: 24 submissions.

3 Aug: 26 submissions.

7 Aug: 28 submissions.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:30:42 AM by GeorgeDonnelly »
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill:
 Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now (secret babies optional)
George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
Ah. If I'm reading the requirements correctly, a mailing list is a must have for an author to qualify for inclusion?

sam kates

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Ah. If I'm reading the requirements correctly, a mailing list is a must have for an author to qualify for inclusion?

That's right, Sam, so each contributor can help promote the final work. It's easy enough to get set up with mailchimp (it's free to 2000 subscribers) and add a signup form to your site. I can walk you through the process if need be. And having a mailing list is a fundamental first step in marketing your fiction. It'll pay off for you in the future.

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
I submitted a story to the email address on the other thread a couple of months ago. Do I need to submit again?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I submitted a story to the email address on the other thread a couple of months ago. Do I need to submit again?

Yes, please. In response to multiple requests and a perceived failure to take action on the part of the previous editor, I'm offering to take over the project. But I don't have access to what was submitted before. So, yes, please submit to me and I guarantee the anthology will be published on a firm schedule (Sep 5). Thanks!

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
Yes, please. In response to multiple requests and a perceived failure to take action on the part of the previous editor, I'm offering to take over the project. But I don't have access to what was submitted before. So, yes, please submit to me and I guarantee the anthology will be published on a firm schedule (Sep 5). Thanks!

Thanks, George. You're a star for taking this on. I'm happy to help out too.

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
That's right, Sam, so each contributor can help promote the final work. It's easy enough to get set up with mailchimp (it's free to 2000 subscribers) and add a signup form to your site. I can walk you through the process if need be. And having a mailing list is a fundamental first step in marketing your fiction. It'll pay off for you in the future.

Thanks for your kind offer to help, George, but the issue is pressure of time my end. For reasons I won't bore anyone with, it's highly unlikely that I'll have a mailing list set up by the submission date. Possibly by the pub date (since it was already top of my to-do list) but I can't guarantee it. So I'll have to bow out. Best of luck with it everyone - I'll be cheering on from the sidelines.

sam kates

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Bowing out also.  I'll publish my series 'origin story' separately.  Good luck, all!
Jena

Offline Marie Long

• "Falling in love is a beautiful struggle..."
    • View Profile
    • Marie Long, Romance Author
I really want to build up my mailing list, so I'll try and contribute to this. Thanks for taking the reins!

Online alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
Great stuff, George. I'll have to give a bit of thought as to whether I want to resubmit my previous entry or put something new together.

My mailing list is almost negligible, but I'm taking part in a few promos between now and then. To those withdrawing over this requirement, for goodness sake, set up a mailchimp account and put your family and closest friends on it. It genuinely takes barely half an hour of your time, and even my friends+family+5 organic sign-ups list generates a sales bump on a new release.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline UnicornEmily

• Quirky, wholesome, and fun young adult fantasy!
    • View Profile
    • The Works of Emily Martha Sorensen
Great!  I think I'll put something new together.  Maybe (if I can) three something news for the anthology.  Also, George, THANK YOU for doing this.  You know you rule, right?

The mailing list requirement is fine.  I'll be happy to tell my mailing list about it as soon as it's released.  I bet they'll be excited to download it.

Quick question.  You want never-before-published short stories (which is reasonable).  I've been thinking about doing a permafree short story prequel to one of my book series for awhile.  Maybe two of them.  But I'd hate to have them locked up in only one place, and not be able to use them as (say) reader magnets to build my mailing list.

Do the short stories need to be exclusive to the anthology for a long period (such as a year), or exclusive for a short period (such as three months), or is there no exclusivity required except that they aren't published before the anthology is?

In other words, could I have a short story included in the anthology, and also publish it separately AFTER the anthology is published?  Or are there limitations on this?

Fairy Eyeglasses is free.  Trials of a Teenage Werevulture is my newest release!
Emily Martha Sorensen | Mailing List | To Prevent World Peace | A Magical Roommate | My husband's books

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
Me please! I'd love to send a story.

Offline Marilyn Peake

• View Profile
    • Marilyn Peake: Author Website
Awesome! Thanks so much for doing this! Not only am I delighted the anthology will be published, cross-promotions through newsletters is a very effective way to gain subscribers and readers.

Marilyn Peake | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter | Wattpad

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Hi George

As I said in the other thread, if you would like someone to do the labour of loading to the various sites then I'm willing. And also to work on keywords if needed.

Can I ask how the order will be selected? (I always end up right at the back because of my surname and would like to avoid that if possible), also if people are submitting three stories then it would be nice to have them spread through the anthology and not back to back?

Question: Do other pen names also need to have previously published work, website, mailing list etc or can we just use our main one?

I think your editing offer for $5 is a great idea. Thanks for doing that.

I'm confused by the title thing. Are you saying don't make suggestions unless you have them all ready at once?

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to reading your stories. :)

Do the short stories need to be exclusive to the anthology for a long period (such as a year), or exclusive for a short period (such as three months), or is there no exclusivity required except that they aren't published before the anthology is?

In other words, could I have a short story included in the anthology, and also publish it separately AFTER the anthology is published?  Or are there limitations on this?

Great question! I'm not asking for any exclusivity period at all, just that at least 1 be never-before-published and up to the other 2 not be published more than once. So, yes, you could submit a new story to this anthology and publish it the same day as the anthology (Sep 5) if you like. There's no sense in being overly restrictive about this. It's a big marketplace.

As I said in the other thread, if you would like someone to do the labour of loading to the various sites then I'm willing. And also to work on keywords if needed.

Would definitely love your help with keywords! By uploading, do you mean publishing? I have accounts at all the major retailers, including Google, but this is going to be a big job so thanks for that offer as well!

Can I ask how the order will be selected? (I always end up right at the back because of my surname and would like to avoid that if possible), also if people are submitting three stories then it would be nice to have them spread through the anthology and not back to back?

I'd like to see what submissions we get first before deciding but I was thinking either by genre or just randomly based on my gut feeling of which stories go together. Definitely not in alphabetical order by author last name. And, yes, I will definitely spread out multiple contributions from the same author name. Absolutely.

If you'd like to give your input on the final ordering, I'd be grateful for your help there. I could send you the Scrivener file with all the stories loaded up mid-August and you could move them around in the order you think makes sense.

Question: Do other pen names also need to have previously published work, website, mailing list etc or can we just use our main one?

Yes, please, at least 1 published work and a website (or even a web page on your main author site). The mailing list could be shared but I think the purpose is to send readers off to get to know the author and buy another book. So if there's no author website to form a connection with and no book to buy, then it seems we can't achieve that goal. What do you think?

I'm confused by the title thing. Are you saying don't make suggestions unless you have them all ready at once?

Sorry! I would just hate to see someone post 30 comments with 1 title suggestion per comment instead of 1 comment with 30 title suggestions. These threads get so long. Feel free to ignore that if you don't think it makes sense. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:50:48 AM by GeorgeDonnelly »

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile

Mailing list? I've always used social media to reach readers but never a mailing list. I'll admit the effectiveness of social media varies from time to time. Yet, a mailing list is not a guarantee either. I was in the first anthology and had submitted to the second. I really do want to participate again. Why do I have to establish a mailing list, especially when there is so little time for it grow before publication?
(I posted this in the 2015 thread by accident instead of this one.)
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I really do want to participate again. Why do I have to establish a mailing list, especially when there is so little time for it grow before publication?

And I'd love to publish your story/ies! As mentioned above, the mailing list requirement is so each contributor can help promote the final work. Email marketing continues to be the most effective way to sell online, hands down. When you have a mailing list, you own direct access to your subscribers (since you have their email addresses). With social media, your ability to get through to followers is held hostage. They want you to pay to reach more than a tiny fraction of your audience.

If nothing else, the two marketing media are better together.

Setting up a mailing list is very easy. Go to mailchimp.com, open an account, create a list, get a signup form and embed it on a page of your site. (Link to that from the front and back matter of your books, too.) That's it. It's free for up to 2,000 subscribers. I'll write up an illustrated howto on this and add it to the OP within a few weeks, so you can participate without worry. I'll show you how to do this and it won't cost you anything.

There is no minimum subscriber count. I just need to know that the people I'm working with on this are aimed in the right direction. Since our goal is reach the maximum number of readers possible with the anthology, we need the best marketing channels. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile

Setting up a mailing list is very easy. Go to mailchimp.com, open an account, create a list, get a signup form and embed it on a page of your site. (Link to that from the front and back matter of your books, too.) That's it. It's free for up to 2,000 subscribers. I'll write up an illustrated howto on this and add it to the OP within a few weeks, so you can participate without worry. I'll show you how to do this and it won't cost you anything.

I don't think how and cost were necessarily the question.
Jena

Offline ConnieBDowell

• View Profile
Thanks, again for spearheading this, George. I'll be working on my story[ies]. I'd be happy to help with marketing and cover and I'll be letting my writers' group know about this when we meet next week.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Looks like I'll need to do another story, since my earlier submission has been published in one of my collections in anticipation of the prior incarnation of the anthology being published (it wasn't against the rules). I have a couple of things that will work.

It's a good thing I have a baby mailing list, too! Whew. Those of you unsure about starting a mailing list, you don't have to post stuff often. Just announce new releases. As long as the recipients understand they won't be getting a lot of emails from you, it will be fine.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline ChrisFosterWrites

• Under a pile of manuscripts
  • With a book in hand
    • View Profile
    • Where you can find me now
This sounds great :)

I've only recently started writing short stories- very different to novels, but a lot of fun too! I'll go see what I can do with 1,000 words  ;)

Chris Foster | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline George Donnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
2 submitted stories already!

I'm excited about this project. :)

Offline Andrew Ashling

• Lorseth, Great Renuvia
  • Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens
    • View Profile
    • Ximerion
I forwarded all stories to George.

I wish all of you success.

FREE: Bonds of Hate (First book of Dark Tales) | Amazon: kindle-format | Kobo: epub | ARe: epub & mobi | B&N: epub | iTunes: iBook

Offline J.T. Williams

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Author J.T. Williams
Glad to see this is back on for sure. :) I'm in.

Drinker of coffee, dabbler in necromancy...
J.T. Williams | My Blog | Twitter | Mailing List | Goodreads | Facebook

Offline Danielle Kazemi

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Danielle's Facebook Fan Site
Definitely want to so it but need to get a mailing list set up. Darn me and my procrastination for putting it off. But I have all June and July so hopefully I can coerce at least friends and family to join.
Free:
Danielle Kazemi | Facebook | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac