KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: All Romance Ebooks Closing :(  (Read 27513 times)  

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
Re: All Romance Ebooks Closing :(
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Bravo. It's clear from earlier court filings that this was not a mere case of bad management.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Contact

Offline 5ngela

• Simple person with simple life
    • View Profile
    • The Journey Of Life
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
I hope they get to the bottom of this. What's wrong with the company and why it's happen. Still I doubt the authors and publishers would get any money.

Offline Elizabeth S.

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »
I wrote everyone I could, where I complained about ARe's larceny and misbehavior. I received a letter from the attorney generals' office in Florida three days ago. I knew they weren't going to do anything but inform me of whom I could contact, but nonetheless, I took the time to do it.

The AG's office will generally only get involved in consumer issues. If the people who bought and lost books complained, the AG might be more likely to at least look into the situation.

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
Just got an email update.  Anybody else?  I'm still confused about the tax implications of this; sounds like they're including the pay I DIDN'T RECEIVE in the 1099s but I can't tell from teh wording. 

Anyone?
Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline mdrake

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Just got an email update.  Anybody else?  I'm still confused about the tax implications of this; sounds like they're including the pay I DIDN'T RECEIVE in the 1099s but I can't tell from teh wording. 

Anyone?

Yeah... as far as I know (I'm not a CPA nor lawyer) 1099s are only supposed to list the amounts you were actually paid.

Your income is their deduction. A company claiming they paid you more than they actually did could be an honest mistake (eg, there is an outstanding invoice in their system got marked as "paid" but has not actually cleared because someone in accounting didn't actually mail the check before leaving for the winter holidays). It could also be shenanigans.

You need to march yourself down a tax CPA right away to figure out if it's an error, some bizarre twist of accounting, or possible shenanigans. You do NOT want to pay taxes on income you did not receive!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:45:06 PM by mdrake »

Offline mach 5

• Don't mind me - just here to procrastinate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »

Anyone?

are you referencing this: Finally, those who are due to receive a 1099 for the 2016 tax year will be receiving them via the post.

If you received any payments (eg 4th quarter 2015, and 1st, 2d, & 3d 2016) payments from them in 2016, they owe you a 1099 by law. This should only include amounts paid to you. Now, since they are apparently some level of shady, if they try to report more than they paid (to reduce their tax burden) and hope no one catches it, there's a line on the tax form for amounts reported but not paid (this is a deduction on your tax return). So just QA your deposits as I imagine it will be difficult AF to get a corrected form from them.

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Marilyn Vix Official Website
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2017, 07:21:31 PM »
I just got the email myself. I had more questions now than before.
I mean, she talks about paying all the preorders back and refunding all the advertising costs. Then, goes on to say that almost everyone that excepted the 10% on the dollar "Deal" is going to be paid by Feb. 28. She seems to talk about that you need to update the info in your publishers file in order to receive your tax forms, since the 1042 forms will be emailed. At least the 1099s are going to be mailed out by the post.

I don't know whether to believe her or not. I know we've heard on the board some readers got preorder refunds and some didn't. I know that some authors got advertising refunds. But still, this whole thing just stinks. I don't trust her with any of my information.

I posted another post on my blog about this with the full email, and questions it has got me pondering.
https://marilynvix.com/2017/01/31/all-romance-ebooks-closure-drama-continues/

Offline Lyra Brooks

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2017, 05:40:05 AM »
I'm super frustrated by this for many reasons. Mostly because I made the bulk of my money at ARE. I know the erotica market isn't booming like when I started back in 2012 but ARE was a place where folks were willing to pay good money for gay billionaire gangbangs and that was a niche that needed filling. So despite the fact that I did receive emails regarding their seasonal promotions, I NEVER got the email saying they were closing. And I haven't gotten the most recent email about the tax situation. I never had a chance to take the $0.10 on the dollar offer from them. I'm also concerned that my 1099 isn't coming since they didn't even freaking email me. Luckily I didn't have time to publish much at the end of the year but I'd still like to see that $75.

I guess I have some questions...
1. How can I join this class action lawsuit? I want in. I never took the settlement.
2. If I never get my 1099 and I didn't take the settlement, that means I report $0.00 in profits from the last quarter, right? Like others have mentioned, they better not suggest they paid me for the last quarter when they didn't. And since this payment would usually go out middle of Feb anyway, I'm counting all of it on my 2017 taxes anyway.

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
<snip>
2. If I never get my 1099 and I didn't take the settlement, that means I report $0.00 in profits from the last quarter, right? Like others have mentioned, they better not suggest they paid me for the last quarter when they didn't. And since this payment would usually go out middle of Feb anyway, I'm counting all of it on my 2017 taxes anyway.
You report based on what you actually received. If you get a 1099 that has more on it than you received, request that the payor send you a corrected 1099.  If you didn't get a 1099, you still file your own tax based on what you did get.

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
I'm super frustrated by this for many reasons. Mostly because I made the bulk of my money at ARE. I know the erotica market isn't booming like when I started back in 2012 but ARE was a place where folks were willing to pay good money for gay billionaire gangbangs and that was a niche that needed filling. So despite the fact that I did receive emails regarding their seasonal promotions, I NEVER got the email saying they were closing. And I haven't gotten the most recent email about the tax situation. I never had a chance to take the $0.10 on the dollar offer from them. I'm also concerned that my 1099 isn't coming since they didn't even freaking email me. Luckily I didn't have time to publish much at the end of the year but I'd still like to see that $75.

I guess I have some questions...
1. How can I join this class action lawsuit? I want in. I never took the settlement.

I've been doing posts about the whole thing since it started back on Dec. 28 last year. Here's the basic link to the starting post. A few later posts also give updates. I've got links to the Facebook group that is keeping track of the law suit in Florida, and a lot of other links you mind find useful. I'm amazed how some people are still not getting the notices, and still just finding out.

So, try this link. It should have some answers or the start of some for you:
https://marilynvix.com/2016/12/29/all-romance-ebooks-are-closes-site/

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2017, 05:40:42 AM »
Everyone impacted by this should also talk to their tax professional. In some cases, monies not paid to you can be written off as bad debt. There are a lot of qualifiers, but since some folks have been substantially impacted by this, it may be an avenue worth pursuing.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline Lyra Brooks

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »
I spoke with the woman starting the class action lawsuit and I did get my ARE 1099 today (though they sent it to my very very old address for some reason?). So that answers my questions, basically. I'll see how it goes with the lawsuit but I'm basically expecting to stop including ARE in my taxes this year, like this will be the last year I have any profit from them. According to the lady with the suit, the lawyer will eventually get to the point in the investigation where he's able to access ARE's records and then would be the point we went forward with the class action part. I feel like he'd either contact us directly or we'd see more press briefs about the lawsuit. Here's hoping I ever see my $75.

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2017, 06:26:51 PM »
I spoke with the woman starting the class action lawsuit and I did get my ARE 1099 today (though they sent it to my very very old address for some reason?). So that answers my questions, basically. I'll see how it goes with the lawsuit but I'm basically expecting to stop including ARE in my taxes this year, like this will be the last year I have any profit from them. According to the lady with the suit, the lawyer will eventually get to the point in the investigation where he's able to access ARE's records and then would be the point we went forward with the class action part. I feel like he'd either contact us directly or we'd see more press briefs about the lawsuit. Here's hoping I ever see my $75.

Hey, $75 is $75. I think a lot of us are still pursuing for the principal so it isn't done to Indies in the future. This has really sent shock waves through the romance and Indie community. And $75 is a lot to authors when we put our blood, sweat and tears into our books. We can't live off of freebies. So, it's important, no matter what the amount.

Offline mach 5

• Don't mind me - just here to procrastinate
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
I received my 1099 from them today. Haven't sat down to verify it, though. Mailed from Florida.