Author Topic: Pronoun.com?  (Read 34182 times)  

Offline Wired

• USA
    • View Profile
Pronoun.com?
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Hi folks. Has anyone tried Pronoun.com? Pros and cons? Thanks.

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
Re: Pronoun.com?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
I looked at the website and lol'd.  :P

Offline Wired

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
I looked at the website and lol'd.  :P

Why?

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
Why?

Because they haven't communicated anything about what they actually do.

Offline ShadowcatEdits

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
    • Shadowcat Editing
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
I haven't seen Pronoun from the author side, but the editors, cover designers, etc. are vetted so you know they didn't just randomly hang out of shingle yesterday. Most of us offer some level of discount to Pronoun clients, and unlike some other services Pronoun doesn't take a cut of those fees. You can then publish through them or not - your choice.

Hopefully someone who has seen the site from the author side can offer more insight! :)
***Shadowcat Editing***
Clear, candid feedback and assistance customized to your needs.
www.shadowcatediting.com
Shadowcat's listing on the KBoards Yellow Pages

Offline BVLawson

• View Profile
    • BV's website
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I'd also love to hear from someone who's actually used the publishing platform.  When the service first debuted (it was originally founded as Vook), I signed up to check out the details but was concerned about some of the restrictions and limitations. Last year, it was bought by Macmillan, which further muddied the waters:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/70484-macmillan-acquires-pronoun-formerly-known-as-vook.html

I received an e-mail today with some updates:

- We are increasing author royalties to 70% for all books priced $9.99 or less and sold in the US and Canada. Yes, even books priced $2.99 and below will earn 70%. For many authors this will translate to double what they were previously earning. Read more about our new royalties here.
- We're giving authors more choice over distribution. You can choose where you want your book distributed when you publish your book.
- We've added the option to price your book for free on all retailers. Based on our data and your feedback, we know that is an important marketing tool for authors.
- We're offering Author Pages. You can now send your readers to one place to find information about all of your books--whether or not theyre published by Pronoun. Plus its free.
- You can now set up pre-orders for your books across all retailers including Amazon. That means you can effectively plan your books marketing campaign with complete confidence.

So, maybe worth giving it a second look ...

Scott Drayco series named Best Mystery in the Next Generation Indie Awards & a Shamus Award Finalist
BV Lawson | website | newsletter | facebook | twitter | pinterest | blog

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
I just pushed one book out through them. I published to Amazon separately but still use pronoun to publish on other platforms, and track the rank etc. on Amazon. It's a nice sleek platform. I like it so far.

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
I looked and there are some free tools i signed up to, but the publishing platform doesn't appear to offer much an author can't do themselves.

I use:
- the weekly email telling my rank movement for books
- the weekly email telling me if I had any reviews since last week
- category suggestions for my books, which looks at similar books in my genre and tells me what niche categories I might rank highest in.

I feel a little bad just using the free stuff but I can't see what their paid services will do for me.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline John Hamilton

• Twin Cities, Minnesota
    • View Profile
    • John C. Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
I found this Q&A with their head of marketing:

https://janefriedman.com/pronoun-distribution/

John C. Hamilton | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Wired

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
"We are increasing author royalties to 70% for all books priced $9.99 or less and sold in the US and Canada."

I'm confused. Amazon pays 35% on 99 cent books. So how can these folks pay 70%? ETA: The FAQ suggests they have a special deal with Amazon. Am I reading this correctly?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:03:36 AM by Wired »

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
"We are increasing author royalties to 70% for all books priced $9.99 or less and sold in the US and Canada."

I'm confused. Amazon pays 35% on 99 cent books. So how can these folks pay 70%? ETA: The FAQ suggests they have a special deal with Amazon. Am I reading this correctly?
Macmillan is the parent company, so they might well have a special deal with Amazon.

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »

Apparently. I'm finding it a bit hard to believe myself, but there it is in that Jane Friedman interview. And read the comments:
https://janefriedman.com/pronoun-distribution/#comments

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »
I just pushed one book out through them. I published to Amazon separately but still use pronoun to publish on other platforms, and track the rank etc. on Amazon. It's a nice sleek platform. I like it so far.

The last time I looked at Pronoun's terms, I was sure it said that when you published with them you could only use it for all platforms at the same time, rather than pick and choose platforms like at Smash and D2D. Did this just change recently? Because if it did, it would be a really great way for people to publish with Google Play.

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
The last time I looked at Pronoun's terms, I was sure it said that when you published with them you could only use it for all platforms at the same time, rather than pick and choose platforms like at Smash and D2D. Did this just change recently? Because if it did, it would be a really great way for people to publish with Google Play.

That's what I remembered too, but they seem to have changed it.  Their front page now says: "You can also choose your retailer outlets. Publish to all or a select few of our supported retailers, depending on your publishing goals."

They either have some special deals with all the retailers, or they are eating the difference to get more authors to use them, going by their royalty page: http://support.pronoun.com/knowledge_base/topics/what-are-the-retailers-distribution-fees

Amazon is the only one doing 70% now, the rest do 60-65% or so, if I remember right.  But going through Pronoun, it looks like any book published with them starting this year gets 70% across the board?!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:59:57 AM by Anma Natsu »

Offline BlouBryant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »

It changed today.

Blou Bryant | Website | Facebook

Offline Beth_Hammond

• View Profile
    • bethhammondbooks.com
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »

Yep, it changed. You're correct though. It was an all or nothing deal when they first began.

I'm still figuring this out.
Beth Hammond | bethhammondbooks.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
So if they [Pronoun] aren't charging Indies anything- how are they going to stay in business? There has to be a catch.

It simply isn't possible to run a business long term "for free".

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline John Hamilton

• Twin Cities, Minnesota
    • View Profile
    • John C. Hamilton
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
They're owned by Macmillan, so deep pockets. As they build the business, I think they'll begin to offer "value added" services to boost revenue. In the interview with their marketing director, I thought this statement was key: "Our core pursuit as a business is to help authors succeed at publishing. As we grow along with our authors, new business opportunities will emerge that add value to what authors need." Maybe they have something else up their sleeve, too.

John C. Hamilton | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »
They're owned by Macmillan, so deep pockets. As they build the business, I think they'll begin to offer "value added" services to boost revenue. In the interview with their marketing director, I thought this statement was key: "Our core pursuit as a business is to help authors succeed at publishing. As we grow along with our authors, new business opportunities will emerge that add value to what authors need." Maybe they have something else up their sleeve, too.

Yep. Classic loss leader with value adds coming.

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
Amazon is the only one doing 70% now, the rest do 60-65% or so, if I remember right.  But going through Pronoun, it looks like any book published with them starting this year gets 70% across the board?!

Um ... this seems big ...  :o

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
Looks correct. This page explains that books published prior to January 4, 2017, will make 35% on Amazon in the .99 to 2.98 range, but books published after that date will make 70% on Amazon, period, between .99 and 9.99.

Offline mmandolin

• Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Just a monkey with a pipe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
I'm already on the major players either direct or through D2D / Smashwords. But not GooglePlay.

I wonder if it's worth putting all my books on Google Play now. I never bothered as I had so many issues with them it wasn't worth it. Is there any money in that? Worth the effort?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:07:43 PM by ADDavies »

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »
... and that 70% royalty for 0.99 books might just be a game changer for them.

Offline AsianInspiration

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:19 PM »
If you can pick the retailers, can you pick Amazon exclusively (KU)? So you get 70% on 0.99 books in KU?

Either way, this almost sounds too good to be true... the other distributors like D2D or Smashwords all take a cut after the 70%...