NetGalley

Author Topic: Editors.  (Read 1574 times)  

Offline jraucy

• View Profile
Editors.
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
Hello everyone, I am starting out as a new editor.  I am just curious how do you all find editors or if editors find you. 

Offline Tstarnes

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Re: Editors.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:40 AM »
Lately I've found my editors here, since I can see what other users have said in their posts.  Editing isn't like covers, where you can just see the results.  So, for me at least, what people who have used their services have to say (in a place where comments are public, as opposed to curated testimonials on a website), goes a long way to knowing if I want to use them.  Well, that and price.

Posting about your services here,  maybe getting a testimonial from clients, and see what business you can drum up.

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
Reedsy.com

I have used them twice, two different editors. And have been THRILLED with the results. Being able to find someone who prefers science fiction, uses Canadian English, has a background and resume I can check, and has a competitive price.

It is a bit more expensive than some of the offers here, but I don't want to give someone $700-1000 if they are not a proven value.

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

Offline EmmaS

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
I found my editor via a word of mouth recommendation from someone on KBoards.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
Hello everyone, I am starting out as a new editor.  I am just curious how do you all find editors or if editors find you.

I searched for ones on Google and outource sites.

Be aware of 3 things.

1. Everyone thinks they are an editor (No seriously they do. Check your work after as most are as blind as a bat)
2. Check your work after, never rely on their eyes
3. Don't pay a stupid amount. You can get a 90,000 word book edited for under $500 ( They will convince you that you cant and if you do its the reason why you get errors. ) uh, no. You can pay someone $10000, 1500 and still have it come back with editors. 

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »
I searched for ones on Google and outource sites.

Be aware of 3 things.

1. Everyone thinks they are an editor (No seriously they do. Check your work after as most are as blind as a bat)
3. Don't pay a stupid amount. You can get a 90,000 word book edited for under $500 ( They will convince you that you cant and if you do its the reason why you get errors. ) uh, no. You can pay someone $10000, 1500 and still have it come back with editors.

I'd hate to have my manuscript come back with editors. They crap all over everything and get into the wiring... [emoji2]

Seriously, though, you can get a 90k manuscript edited for $500, but that won't necessarily mean it's good editing. And you can pay four times that and still wind up with mistakes, because some people have no business calling themselves editors and they do a crappy job while overcharging you for the privilege.

The problem is, finding a good editor requires knowing what good editing actually looks like. If someone has little knowledge of grammar, it makes it very difficult for them to see when an editor has left mistakes in, or introduced them into, their manuscript. That said, though, I think more often than not, when it comes to editing, you get what you pay for.

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
  • Writer, Editor, Word Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
Be aware of 3 things.

I do not know what editors you are speaking of specifically, but me and just about every colleague of mine that I know do none of the above.  We seek to provide quality, error free work to our clients, and much more. Editing is also about guidance and helping authors fine tune their manuscripts, not just fixing mistakes.

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

Need help with your book?  Try Held Editing Services.
www.heldediting.com

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
Seriously, though, you can get a 90k manuscript edited for $500, but that won't necessarily mean it's good editing. And you can pay four times that and still wind up with mistakes, because some people have no business calling themselves editors and they do a crappy job while overcharging you for the privilege.

The problem is, finding a good editor requires knowing what good editing actually looks like. If someone has little knowledge of grammar, it makes it very difficult for them to see when an editor has left mistakes in, or introduced them into, their manuscript. That said, though, I think more often than not, when it comes to editing, you get what you pay for.

Well said.  :)

"Shadow of the Indianapolis", by Tony Held". "Editor's Choice" for Issue #1 of "The Remnant Leaf":
https://www.theremnantleaf.com/single-post/2017/08/09/Fiction-No1-Shadow-of-the-Indianapolis

www.heldediting.com

Offline TonyWrites

• Twin Cities, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »

Speaking as an editor, I can tell you that building your business will take a good web presence, savvy use of social media, looking for opportunities via, say, responding to authors who post to Kboards that they are seeking an editor, and a helping dose of good luck.  Make sure to avoid Craigslist, where scammers and cranks lurk, and the likes of job mills like Upwork, which have next to no jobs readily available for book editors. Also, do some research about the various types of editing available--proofreading, copy editing, line editing, developmental editing, etc.--to refresh your memory as to what these entail, and to see what type(s) are your niche. 

www.heldediting.com

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 04:45:36 AM »
Any editor that "finds" me is promptly removed to the spam folder. I don't do "cold call" from anyone. There is a yellow pages board here where you can list your services. Check that out, see what others are doing. Most people will do a sample edit for free, of some length. The author can take that and decide if they believe the work was properly done.

It's going to take time to build a business. You need to list your credentials and experience. If you've edited something before, you can link potential clients to it so they can see your work.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline NeilMosspark

• Building a universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »

Edited to removed quoted post. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:13:12 AM by Becca Mills »

Neil Mosspark | Website | Twitter Feed | Facebook Page

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »
A good editor who gets you and understands what you're trying to do with your work is worth their weight in gold. When you find one, don't let them go.

Edited to remove quoted posts. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:15:16 AM by Becca Mills »

Offline Travelian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
jraucy, as mentioned before you can post on the yellow pages. Many editors create a thread. After which you'll be notified by the mods that all future posts should stay within the 1 thread. And you update monthly or so. Some editors update with discounts.

You'll have competition so don't necessarily expect a lot of business right away. I saw in another thread you charge $150 for a 60K copy edit which is a competitive price. Your best strategy is to create a website and slowly build a list of testimonials. So you can build and post your track record.

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:22:08 AM »
Welcome, jraucy, and apologies for the rude reception (several posts have been deleted, along with those that responded to them). Travelian is correct that we allow editors and other providers to maintain a thread here to advertise their services. You might take a look at TonyWrites's thread as an example. I do think quite a few of us have found our editors through their KBoards threads.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »
Others have mentioned that it isn't as simple to be an editor as people think, so I won't labor the point - but I do agree with it. Editiing is a serious skill, one that comes with experience, and people like to know they're getting value for money.

But to answer your question:

On Kboards, it's a good idea to state your experience and rates. Name some novels you've edited - authors generally don't mind mentions of their work in public.

If you have little or no experience, you might consider offering your services for free to the first 5-10 people who respond. Editors have done that before. If the clients like your work, they will sing your praises here, which will lead to more clients. Word of warning, though, as you may have already noticed, people around here don't mince their words. So if they DON'T like your work, they'll sing that too.

Most editors, whatever their level, offer a free sample of, say, 2000 words. I would recommend you do that wherever you advertise. Writers like to see what you can do before committing.

Also, specify what area of editing you are most focussed on. Is it developmental? Copy editing? Just proofreading? Or are you looking to expand into all of these?

Best of luck!
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline jraucy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
OK.  This all helps a lot.  Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback.

Offline Crissi Langwell

• California
    • View Profile
    • Crissi Langwell ~ Author
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
I actually found my editor on NextDoor! To be fair, this was someone I knew as a writer, but her name popped up when I was in desperate need for the perfect editor for my latest book project, and was getting ready to throw in the towel. I just got my manuscript back from her, and this woman went over and beyond what I paid her - and she wasn't cheap! Every page is full of marks, and she took the time to go over areas that needed more scene strengthening, emotional buildup, etc. I was seriously only expecting grammar edits, and she dove into developmental editing. I am forever grateful to her, and know that my series is going to be a million times stronger because of her support. [emoji4]

Hope at the Crossroads ~ Hope Series Book 2 ~ publishes Oct. 24
Crissi Langwell ~ website | facebook | instagram | amazon