Author Topic: Anyone Read Actual Books Anymore?  (Read 4532 times)  

Offline jwkitson

• Tualatin, Oregon
  • Never stop asking the big questions...
    • View Profile
    • Cotakisni Stories by James W Kitson
Re: Anyone Read Actual Books Anymore?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »
I still do most of my reading from paper books.  Used book stores are one of my favorite haunts and it's hard to compare $2-$4 for a paper book vs full price for a DRM laden eBook.  Unless I'm going to be traveling or find a good cheap read ( of which there are an ever growing number thankfully) I tend to collect the paper versions.  While I can appreciate that eBooks allow publishers to re-release otherwise out of print books, I wish more of them were more reasonable on their pricing for older works.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Savannah_Page

• Berlin, Germany
      • View Profile
      • Savannah Page, author
    « Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:12 am »
    Definitely. Nothing like the feel and smell of a good 'ol fashioned print book.

I always try to have a paperback going at the same time for each ebook I have (like the flexibility of having both options always going). I like to split it up.

Since I live in Germany English books can be tough to come by, at least older ones, and are pricier. The Kindle's a no-brainer for that one. For some books that I love, like Emily Giffin's works, I'll have read some as e-books but will go out and "break the bank" on the physical copies, too. All favorites get a spot on my physical bookshelf, of course!

Savannah Page

Offline sherylb

• Pacific Northwest
    • Member 47
      • View Profile
      • IndigoRuby Designs
    « Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:49 am »
    I still have paper books but I just can't bring myself to read them. I read between 3-5 e-books a week though.

IndigoRuby Designs
    www.indigorubydesigns.com

oliewankanobe

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:28:12 am »
    I only read the pretend kind.

Offline VikiVenus

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
    Yes!  We go to Bookman's or Used Books a few times throughout the month and pick up some of our favorites.  It's sort of a tradition that we refused to give up even after getting a Kindle.  Also, if we are going to see an author, we like to buy their book and get it signed.  We haven't come up with a good way to collect authors' signatures on our Kindle Cover without it rubbing off.

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »
    No, I have zero interest in reading a paper book :)
    Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline Marie S

• United Kingdom
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:22 am »
    Only if they are not available on Kindle, though it depends on the book too. Sometimes I would rather own something in print (usually non-fiction titles, or a biography by someone I admire).

Offline Jim Chaseley

• Surrey, United Kingom
      • View Profile
      • Jim Chaseley's Site
    « Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 04:44:58 am »
    I bought Conn Iggulden's lastest in hardback, because the cover looked and felt really nice. I ran my fingers over it, going "Ooooh, feels real!". But then, I ran out of the house one morning in a rush, and crammed the book into my bag, having forgotten to take the jacket off. Ruined it. Said to myself, "Why the hell haven't I got this on Kindle!".

Offline Jackal Lantern Books

• Jackal Lantern Books
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
    I am a sucker for used books. Absolutely love my local used book shops and thrift stores, as my local thrifts have really great book sections. I do love my eBooks too, and I'm about half and half between reading eBooks and regular books, but sometimes its nice to just back away from technology, which often distracts me and I don't ever make it to actually reading.

I love eBooks, for that moment when I know exactly what I want to read and want that instant gratification if reading it now. But I still love surfing through book stacks for some gem I didn't even know existed.

Offline Etienne

• England
    • Etienne de L'Amour
      • View Profile
      • Mystical Faction
    « Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 04:06:50 pm »
    Hi, In the past I built up a library of hundreds of books, but these days -- living a more minimalist lifestyle -- I only tend to read physical books that have been sent as a gift or second hand books that are now out of print, often via Amazon. The last physical book I read was the novel The Prince and the Sufi by BL Van Vors.

Offline Anjasa

• St. John's, NL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »
    I only read paperbacks that I can't get in ebook format now. It's more convenient to bring my tablet to work and have a choice of 200 books than have to choose what one I want to read before leaving!

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:05 pm »
    Other than textbooks & quilting books, I haven't read a DTB in years. The K is King!
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »
    I really like the the e-book convenience - just finished reading to my son before bedtime on a digital device.  You get the built-in bookmarks, built in dictionary ... it's just nice and convenient.

But there's something about the physical book that I love.  I guess they're kind of trophies for me.  Actually just finished our basement this past summer with all sorts of built-in bookshelves for all my babies that have been sitting in boxes for the past 6 years since we moved into this house.  I get a very visceral reaction and memory looking at my books.  Just seeing the cover can bring back the memory of what I liked about the book (or hated).  Plus, what a great to talk about books with friends ... you can pull them down off the shelves and discuss.

So, if there's an e-book that I'm really enjoying, I may read it all digitally, but I usually end up getting a paper copy for the shelf. 

Read my books or evil wins. You don't want that.
    Mark Simon Smith | website

Offline StephenLivingston

• Scotland
    • http://www.facebook.com/stephen.m.livingston
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Livingston's Blog
    « Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:44 am »
    Yeah I still read paper books but my Kindle is my prefered medium these days.
    Best wishes, Stephen Livingston.

Offline liafairchild

• Lia Fairchild, Bestselling Author
      • View Profile
      • Lia Fairchild - Author
    « Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:25 am »
    Love my Kindle but anytime I can get deals on physical books I grab them. Got Dragon Tattoo at a garage sale for $1.50. Now I'm reading my son's copy of To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hunger Games.
    https://www.kboards.com/book/?asin=B004O6MV0S

Offline Pardco

• View Profile
      • Paul Parducci's Blog
    « Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 08:54:52 am »
    I have shelves of them in my home.
    But for the most part unless a Title is not available as an ebook-
    it's mostly Kindle for me.
    Best,
    Paul
    "A Novel of Liquid Horror"

Offline acellis

• Denver, Colorado
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:11 am »
    Always, and I always will. Just not as many as I did before getting my Kindle.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:51 am »
    I still buy cookbooks and knitting books (with Patterns) - I want them in color and its just easier to make copies.

Offline swlothian

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • swlothian   |    author
    « Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »
    I have a whole shelf of real books that I still have to read, let alone the ones I have on our Kindle/iPad.  I love having the actual books to pick up, look at and read but the Kindle/iPad is great for convenience.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »
    Well for me Kindle books are actual books. A book is a book to me. Its about reading the story for me.
    And since I have difficulty reading smaller print in paperbacks, I am so glad I can read like I love to again. My joy is back and its all because of the E-Ink.
    I think the only paper books I might buy in the future are certain cookbooks or such. 

But I haven't bought a new paper book since I got my Kindle in 2008 and I only bought a few used paperbacks that just sit on the shelf and I can't really read them. Why did I get them? Because they weren't in Kindle format and I thought I could figure out a way to make it work.
    Thankfully a couple of them just became available as backlist titles on the Kindle.  ;D

In the past though when I did buy paperbooks, I always bought used only.

For strictly fiction though, I don't think I have any reason to buy any paper books anymore. Its all
    E ink for me now.

Offline jaimee83

• Central Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:02 pm »
    Prior to trips I usually download a few books.  On a dive trip to Fiji I only had maybe 3 books and read them all before flying home.  I had to buy a paperback book in the Nadi Airport, $34.00.  I told the clerk this book cost @ $8.00 at home (where it came from to begin with).  He looked down at my feet and asked where I thought I was standing?  203 books on the Kindle, one book in print.

Offline Ergodic Mage

• Phase Space
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 08:01:16 pm »
    Last week I searched and searched and searched, oh and tore my basement apart to find my old paperback of Logan's Run. Wow I forgot what a fantastic "indy" story which inspired one of the greatest dystopian movies.

I have not been really impressed by the selection of non-fiction ebooks and since I always reading at least one no matter what's going on. Right now it is From Eternity to Here by Sean Carroll.

Oh and the graphic novel Iron Empires Faith Conquers by Chris Moeller I'm reading from a recommendation to playing Burning Empires RPG.

Offline herocious

• Austin
    • tiny toe
      • View Profile
      • herocious
    « Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:27 pm »
    Only when I go to the library. I actually got my Kindle by selling all my books books to half-price. My home feels kinda empty now.

Offline jbcohen

• Palanthas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 06:02:38 am »
    Prior to trips I usually download a few books.  On a dive trip to Fiji I only had maybe 3 books and read them all before flying home.  I had to buy a paperback book in the Nadi Airport, $34.00.  I told the clerk this book cost @ $8.00 at home (where it came from to begin with).  He looked down at my feet and asked where I thought I was standing?  203 books on the Kindle, one book in print.

I have not had that happen to me ever, thankfully.

Offline trixycae

• Writer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:30 am »
    I still have a pile of unread hardcopy books to go through before I abandon all hopes of buying hardcopies and resort to my kindle alone. Not sure if that will be a good or bad thing though.
    Kenechi Udogu

KBoards.com

• Advertisement