Author Topic: Tween Humorous Fantasy Adventure - Help me donate books to libraries  (Read 1191 times)  

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
    • View Profile
    • A Somewhat Silly Story
Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook is a silly fairy tale, written for ages 7 through 12, and for those young at heart.

Queen Gobbledeegook has gone missing and it is up to Sir Nathan, the Hero of Mariskatania, to find her. Along the way he meets all sorts of odd folks, including pixies and wizards and a hulking creature named Mitzy that likes to knit. The land of Mariskatania is a colorful one, filled with bright Jubb Jubb Trees and fuzzy, blue Hobnobber Squirrels who spend all their time looking for a snack guaranteed to poison them.

I originally wrote this fairy-tale merely to give to my young nieces and nephews many years ago.  Now that I have a 9 year old son of my own, I rewrote and re-edited the story and have (not so) bravely ventured into the world of self-publication.  My intention was to write a book than not only appealed to that 8-12 year old "tween" group of readers, but also to the parents and older kids that read alongside them.  

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quest-Queen-Gobbledeegook-ebook/dp/B0074NQ6ZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336941&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:16:10 am by churlishfellow »

Read my books or evil wins. You don't want that.
Mark Simon Smith | website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:43 am »
    Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!  :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it and add to it when there is more information, as we ask that authors have only one thread per book.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice). If you start a new thread when you already have one, it will be deleted without comment or warning.

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then. If you post prematurely, the post will be deleted without comment.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:58:16 am »
    Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook is a silly fairy tale, written for ages 7 through 12, and for those young at heart.  For the rest of February, 2012, you can get a FREE version for the Kindle (and other e-readers) off the Smashwords site!  Just use the coupon code "BB58K" when checking out.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/128683

Queen Gobbledeegook has gone missing and it is up to Sir Nathan, the Hero of Mariskatania, to find her. Along the way he meets all sorts of odd folks, including pixies and wizards and a hulking creature named Mitzy that likes to knit. The land of Mariskatania is a colorful one, filled with bright Jubb Jubb Trees and fuzzy, blue Hobnobber Squirrels who spend all their time looking for a snack guaranteed to poison them.

I originally wrote this fairy-tale merely to give to my young nieces and nephews many years ago.  Now that I have a 9 year old son of my own, I rewrote and re-edited the story and have (not so) bravely ventured into the world of self-publication.  My intention was to write a book than not only appealed to that 7-12 year old "tween" group of readers, but also to the parents and older kids that read alongside them. 

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
    • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
      • View Profile
      • WrittenByBrian
    « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:08 am »
     ;D too funny ... getting and sending to my kid's kindle

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:25:05 am »
    Thanks and enjoy!  I'd love to hear what they think!

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:58 am »
    I was tickled to find out that a local 4th grade class was reading Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook!  They invited me to visit and to read to them from the book.  I had a great time!  The kids were wonderful and it tickled my fancy so much to see how many of them were interested in the book and wanting to know what happened next.  Read some of the letters they wrote and see the pictures they drew for me from the story at the book's Facebook page: http://ow.ly/9myEf

Now, I've been invited to come share the book with a 5th grade class in a different school.  It thrills me to no end to see people entertained by my work.

The story is a silly fairy-tale, about a knight out to rescue his missing Queen.  It's got pixies and warlocks and talking horses and blue squirrels.  You can't go wrong with a blue squirrel, right?  Funnily enough, there was a news story about a blue squirrel not too long ago.

Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook is available through Amazon.com as a download for the Kindle, but you can find it for the Kindle at a special price of $.99 at it's Smashwords site here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/128683

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:02 am »
    An excerpt from Part V of Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook.

- - - - - - - -

The sun shone out of a dazzling, blue sky and warmed the forest floor. The weather was changing, getting cooler in preparation for winter. The leaves of the Hootentoot Trees were shifting colors with the change in seasons, going from green to white with pink polka- dots. Nothing looked more stunning than an entire forest of Hootentoot Trees in the fall.
    Every puff of wind caused more and more of the changed leaves to drop gently from the trees, where they would swirl and waft and scream all the way to the ground, for nothing has a greater fear of falling than the leaves of a Hootentoot Tree. If you were going to go for a walk through a Hootentoot Forest during the fall on a particularly windy day, you'd be smart to bring some ear plugs.

The forest floor was covered in a colorful carpet of leaves. Chattering Hobnobber Squirrels hopped and scurried about. The dry, autumn leaves crackled and crunched underfoot and the noise caused by the busy squirrels was almost as loud as all the screams of the terrified, falling foliage.

The Hobnobber Squirrels were busy looking for Huckle Nuts from the few Huckle Nut Trees scattered amongst the Hootentoots to store for the long winter months ahead. Fortunately for them, they weren't finding very many, for nothing is more poisonous to a Hobnobber Squirrel than a few tastes of Huckle Nut. In the dazzling sunshine, the fuzzy, blue squirrels stood out brightly against the background of the forest floor covered in pink polka-dot leaves. There were even a few late-season Grumble Bees buzzing here and there, muttering about how cold it was already getting at night even though summer had just ended.

It was a wonderful, crisp autumn day to be out in the woods. It was a day where the chill in the air was countered by the toasty warmth of the sunshine. And the Hobnobber Squirrels chattered happily as they searched for nuts, all of them just as delighted with the day as they could be.

Except for one.

This one particular squirrel just sat on a stump. If you listened closely, and you could find a quiet moment amongst all of the wailing leaves, you just might have been able to hear an occasional naughty word or two come from the squirrel's tiny mouth.

Offline UnicornEmily

• Quirky, wholesome, and fun young adult fantasy!
      • View Profile
      • The Works of Emily Martha Sorensen
    Re: Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook - a silly fairy-tale
    « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »
    Ha ha ha ha!  This sounds silly.  I love fairy tale retellings.

Are your kids / nieces and nephews aware of any of the Gerald Morris books?  If not, they're missing a treat!  The Knights' Tales are hilarious and short and aimed at kids.  Might also be good for people who enjoy your stories!

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    « Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 07:29:35 am »
    Thanks for the Gerald Morris recommendations.  I have to say, looking through a sample of your "Black Magic Academy", that looks interesting too.  The style with which you write is the sort of thing I strive to and we seem to have the same sort of flow and pacing ... brief pauses during dialogue to add in character reactions and thoughts and short, bright, colorful descriptions of actions.  I'll add it to my "to read" list.

Thanks!

Offline UnicornEmily

• Quirky, wholesome, and fun young adult fantasy!
      • View Profile
      • The Works of Emily Martha Sorensen
    « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:12 pm »
    Well, thank you!  Sounds like you must have great writing, too!  (Grin.)

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    Please visit my book's new website!  There you can follow along on my blog, Facebook and Twitter and find links to get your own copy of the book!  You can also read a preview of the book right on the website!

Also, the follow-up book, Sir Nathan and the Task of Terribleness, will be out this spring yet!  Look for teasers coming soon!

http://somewhatsillystory.com/

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    Reviews for Sir Nathan and the Quest for Queen Gobbledeegook are starting to come in!  I couldn't be more pleased with readers' reactions!  Learn more about the book and read the reviews, plus a preview of the book, on the website!  Once there, you can find a link to download an e-book for your Kindle and find the book in other formats as well!

The book is starting to appear in local bookstores and is also getting used in 5 classrooms to encourage children to read, including a few TAG programs.

http://somewhatsillystory.com

thanks!
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:49:52 pm by churlishfellow »

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    Tween Humorous Fantasy Adventure - Help me donate books to libraries
    « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:37 am »
    The Somewhat Silly Story series is a set of humrous fantasy adventures written to encourage kids to read, alone or with their parents.  One particular goal is to encourage the reluctant readers.

I am currently running a Kickstarter project to help with the promotion of these books. Part of the money raised will go towards paying for paperback copies which I donate free of charge to public and school libraries.

For a small donation to the project, you'll be rewarded with ebook downloads, just in time to use as gifts for the holiday season!

Please check out the link below and learn more about Sir Nathan and his epic adventures in the land of Mariskatania.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/somewhatsillystory/somewhat-silly-story-fantasy-adventure-childrens-b

<merged with existing thread.  Please, one thread per book.  Bookmark this thread so that you can find it again, thanks!  --Betsy>
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:52:53 am by Betsy the Quilter »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement