Author Topic: First time author  (Read 420 times)  

Offline palmharborman

• Palm Harbor, Florida
    • View Profile
First time author
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »
This is my first experience here. I recently completed my first novel: Sandcastles To Club Fed.  I would like to share it with readers. Does anyone  have any advice? 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:26:55 pm by palmharborman »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
      • View Profile
      • A Somewhat Silly Story
    Re: First time author
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »
    I just delved into the world of self-publication a few weeks ago and so far I've found smashwords.com to be the most helpful website.  The site has a very helpful publishing guide, is free to sign up at and is an easy way to share a book, even if you don't intend to charge anything for it.  If you're looking to start selling a book, it's a great place to start as well.  From there I moved on to self-publication on Amazon.com, which didn't have as much reassuring advice as you went along, but still wasn't that difficult.  

If you're looking to have print-on-demand books available to sell, try out createspace.com.  I'm still in the middle of setting my book up there - it takes quite a bit more work, as you need to delve into typesetting a lot more than you need to with an e-book.  

There are other sites as well that allow for self-publication, especially of e-books, such as PubIt! and LuLu.

hope this helps,
    Mark

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:08:31 pm by churlishfellow »

Read my books or evil wins. You don't want that.
    Mark Simon Smith | website

Offline WillPetersen

• Midwest U.S.
      • View Profile
      • The Inward Spiral
    Re: First time author
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »
    Once you have your ISBN and all your conversions set up, you can also make your books available on GoodReads.com, they have a community that is similar to Facebook, though it is only for books and readers. You can also look at BookDaily.com and Published.com, both free and easy to use.

Best of luck with your story!
    W.P.
    William Petersen
    The Inward Spiral

KBoards.com

• Advertisement