Author Topic: Must Haves... Accessories!  (Read 8552 times)  

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
Must Haves... Accessories!
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:57:33 am »
Howdy Folks,

I am one of the many new Kindlers on this forum and am loving all I am learning.
I have also been madly shopping for accessories, even though my actual Kindle has yet to arrive.
A wonderful reply post that Leslie made on the Amazon board gave me some really good ideas. Which I
am going to take the liberty of reposting here...

Originally Posted by FAQ Person:

I have the following accessories and use them all:

1. M-edge covers in saddle and red. The saddle is sturdier. You can buy them here at Amazon. I keep a paper clip in the pocket of mine for emergency resets, but I have never had to use it. (Good insurance, obviously!)

2. 2 GB SD card

3. A portable book light. I discovered I needed this when I was traveling last month and staying in places with dim lights next to the bed. I have continued to use it regularly. This is the one I got:
http://www.greatpointlight.com/book_light-3led.html

4. A USB cable that will charge my Kindle:
http://www.eforcity.com/usb-data-charging-cable-for-palm-tungsten-e-zire-31-dpamtungdat1.html
Note that this is not specifically listed as a Kindle compatible product. Some folks who post on this board have cautioned that it might damage your Kindle, but I have been using this for a month without any problems.

5. A microfiber cloth (the kind you use for glasses) to clean the screen. I also keep this in the pocket of my M-edge cover.

That's it!

Leslie

Slipping a paperclip in there is such a great idea and I just ordered one of those lights, exactly what I was looking for (FYI: You can find them on Amazon too, so I got mine with free shipping)!

So what's in your case?
Or what great case did you find or make? Pictures would be great too!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:43:38 am by Octochick »
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Re: Must Haves... Accessories!
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:33 am »
    Hahahah, you posted my post! I am flattered!

I love buying accessories for my Kindle but I really think I've gotten everything I need. I don't switch it in and out of its cover so my extra M-edge is just sitting on my desk. The light was a total impulse purchase when I saw it in a bookstore in Germany last month, but it has turned out to be great. Thanks, Octo for finding it on Amazon! Here's a picture:

Reading the reviews on Amazon, a lot of people commented on the cost of replacement batteries. That could be a concern. I bought this light primarily for emergency situations -- ie, in a hotel with low light next to the bed. Here at home, I have a plug-in booklight (halogen) on the head of my bed which shines a beam right on my Kindle and doesn't disturb my husband. I think using a battery-powered booklight every night to read in bed could use up alot of batteries and get quite expensive. I think the mighty-Brite uses AA batteries and people use rechargeables for that.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:41:38 am »
    Well I saw this on Amazon, a pack of 5 batteries for 6.99. You could get 2 backs and be set for awhile, I
    would think...and I am sure you could find them at Lowes or Target or a Battery Plus...!

http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Button-Battery-CR2450-5-Pack/dp/B000V04MCQ/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:48:04 am »
    This is interesting. It's called the Re-Light and it's rechargeable. It gets mixed reviews at Amazon. But I laughed when I saw this picture. This woman --gasp! -- let her baby hold her Kindle? Yikes!

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:10:18 am »
    I just saw this posted over at the amazon forum (did I mention I am a little obsessed!:D) and thought it was a really good deal and price!

Case and light package!
    http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Package-Amazon-Kindle-Leather/dp/B001ESQSY4/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
    This looks like a great item, however it is now "currently not available". Seems like it would hold the K a little more securely than the standard one which comes with it.

Offline Teninx

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:14 pm »
    Fear not, the child has the Kindle under control. I think he's the same baby who does those e-trade commercials, and look how well he handles that Blackberry.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
    I think it is available again...

Offline Kirstin

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:39:19 pm »
    for me......   it is
    1. A red M-Edge cover (who will be forsaken for Oberon when it is released)
    2. Mighty bright book light
    3. Lightwedge zip case to keep it safe in my purse (fits perfectly inside the zippy case in its M-Edge)
    4. An Octovo book ledge for holding it up at the table.
    5. 4GB SD card

Leslie - love the microfiber cloth idea - sticking one in the zippy case tonight!!
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:56:20 pm by Kirstin »

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."  Walt Disney

LuckyRainbow

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:26 pm »
    Travel package down to 4 left in stock.  It feels like QVC.

Offline swneel

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:01:05 pm »
    My Kindle is being shipped today, should arrive Monday.
    I need to know what accessories I should get and where to buy them.
    I appreciate any help on this since I am totally confused

Offline GuidedRocketLauncher

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:57:04 am »
    swneel, I'd go with a different cover than the stock one from Amazon.  The M-Edge cover is fantastic and worth every penny (get leather, not vinyl).  Other than that, use it for a while and see where your personal habits steer you.
    History writes straight in a crooked line.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:02:24 am »
    M-edge is coming out with some new covers (there's a pebbled navy that caught my eye). I think they can be pre-ordered but Swneel, you might just want to wait. You really don't need to buy anything immediately. The Kindle is ready to use right out of the box (except for needing to be charged).

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline beanie22

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:19:17 am »
    Kirstin, What kind of zippy case do you have?

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:46:17 pm »
    I got my light today, not the color I ordered, but I really like it! It is very compact and I found it on sale for 5.99 and I got free 2 day shipping (I am testing out Amazon Prime)
    http://www.amazon.com/2-LED-Slim-Light-Lapis/dp/B0010SXQQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1225485884&sr=8-2

This is a different model than Leslie's, I did not need a dimmer and it was a lot cheaper so I went for it.

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
    • The names Kat. Kitty Kat. Not really. Just Kat.
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 11:34:53 pm »
    I would just like to note that I use the cover it was sent with, and haven't had to many problems. The Kindle can fall out, but thats only if you face it downwards or way to the left, which wouldn't be too condusive to reading anyway. I would like to get an Oberon cover though just because they are so beautiful. I do have a strange dog cover, and I do not like it, as the spine is far to floppy, and it takes a lot of pressure to push the snap down, and I hate pushing on my Kindle. The pocket is nice though.
    A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

Offline Khabita

• Roswell GA
    • I am the Wombat! Koo-koo-ka-choo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:48:36 am »
    I love my strangedog covers! I have the lizards and the dragonflies. I like the snap, because it's nice and secure, but I stick my finger under the cover when I snap it shut, because as you said I don't want any unnecessary pressure put on my Kindle!

The only downside -- in my case -- to the lizard cover is that the background is black, and I have a mainly-white dog and one white cat. You can probably guess what the problem is -- yes, the lizards look like they are wearing fur coats unless I run a lint brush over the cover now and then.
    Last Kindle Book read: The Iliad (Homer)
    Reading Now: The Brain That Changes Itself (Norman Doige)

Offline Tarma

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:54 pm »
    I do not like it, as the spine is far to floppy

Interesting. That was one thing I liked about it.  :) Made folding it out of the way much easier. Probably a good thing there are many cover options!
    The only upgrade I want is FOLDERS!

Offline RovingSoul

• Richland, WA
    • The names Kat. Kitty Kat. Not really. Just Kat.
      • View Profile
      • Facebook Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:54:22 pm »
    I do not like it, as the spine is far to floppy

Interesting. That was one thing I liked about it.  :) Made folding it out of the way much easier. Probably a good thing there are many cover options!
    Yeah, I like the spine to be stiff to I can hold it without actually touching the Kindle. I always manage to hit buttons. However, I held my Kindle somewhat above my head last night, and, lo and behold, it fell out of the default case and hit me in the face.
    A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 01:31:59 pm »
    However, I held my Kindle somewhat above my head last night, and, lo and behold, it fell out of the default case and hit me in the face.

I found that if you bend up the little plastic piece it is easier to get the kindle to latch onto the cover.  Once I did that I didn't have any problems.  But I hate droopy elastic so as soon as it started getting even a little stretched out it bothered me.  I got a red not-leather m-edge which I am happy with. Keep a business card in one of the pockets if I ever loose my mind and leave it somewhere.  Also looking for an appropriately sized pad of paper.  Someday some charity will send me a free one of the right dimensions.   :)

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 05:36:40 pm »
    This is interesting. It's called the Re-Light and it's rechargeable. It gets mixed reviews at Amazon. But I laughed when I saw this picture. This woman --gasp! -- let her baby hold her Kindle? Yikes!

I have that same light in the photo and it came in a set of two. It was a gift I got before leaving for college. Its an okay light. i have a couple of other booklights, but I never really use them. minus dorm blackouts where they work as candles. 9my roomy and I have a large collection of book lights. If you press on the plastic near the battery, the light has a tendency to dim. Other than that I haven't had any problems with the light.

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
    • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:33 pm »
    I have a folding book stand from Book Mates:

http://www.bookmatesplus.com/products/?category_id=36

Holds the Kindle securely when I'm eating at work or home, and folds up to fit in my M-Edge case (would also fit fine in one of those "hold it all" bags that some of you have, or in a purse or briefcase). Shipping is a little steep, but overall it was well worth the purchase for me.  :)
    Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
    KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
    KV - TARDIS
    KO - Merlin

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:46 pm »

Holds the Kindle securely when I'm eating at work or home, and folds up to fit in my M-Edge case (would also fit fine in one of those "hold it all" bags that some of you have, or in a purse or briefcase). Shipping is a little steep, but overall it was well worth the purchase for me.  :)

Thanks, Steph!  Others have mentioned that they like these...I'm also going to put it on my wish list!!

Betsy

I wonder if there is any way to get a group purchase through this group? The stand costs $7.75 and the shipping is close to that...around $5 (last time I checked). I wonder if we could pool our resources in some way...but I have no idea what way! LOL

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:02 pm »

I wonder if there is any way to get a group purchase through this group? The stand costs $7.75 and the shipping is close to that...around $5 (last time I checked). I wonder if we could pool our resources in some way...but I have no idea what way! LOL

L

Actually, they do volume discounts:

Volume Discounts
    WE REWARD ALL PURCHASES OVER $35.00 WITH FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING. FOR MAJOR PROMOTIONS PLEASE CONTACT US AT 561-740-3323

http://www.bookmatesplus.com/VolumeDiscounts/

The question becomes, how do you dole them out afterwards? Pay for shipping again? If we ever do any group get togethers, that might be a good time to get some folks together to buy a bunch.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Shizu

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:57 pm »

This stand looks handy. Thanks for the info.

Shizu

KBoards.com

• Advertisement