Author Topic: Books That Everyone Loves That You Just Can't Enjoy  (Read 849 times)  

Offline churlishfellow

• Belleville, Wi
    • View Profile
    • A Somewhat Silly Story
Books That Everyone Loves That You Just Can't Enjoy
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:18:08 pm »
I see a lot of threads on here about book recommendations, but what about the books that everyone tells you are a MUST read that you just can't get through?

In high school English, I gobbled up most everything we were given to read.  Got good reads.  Even got scolded the day after we were given a new book (Elie Wiesel's Night) because I had taken it home and finished it after the first day and therefore didn't have anything to do the next day in class when we were given in-class time to read the book.  But then we hit Pride and Prejudice.  My mind would never get through more than a paragraph.  I bombed horribly on all the tests.  I held out hopes that watching an old black and white video of the movie in class right before the final exam on the book would help me out.  Nope.  Big, fat F.  I begged and pleaded with the teacher for some leniency, as I obviously wasn't a poor student, but that I just couldn't get through the book.  Nope.  F.

To this day I haven't been able to get through the book, though it's on my bucket list.  

Others that I don't quite see the big draw in are the Phillip K. Dick stuff and things like Catch 22 and Fahrenheit 451.  I WANT to read those books and I WANT to enjoy them, but ... maybe I'm just too simple minded.  I need things spelled out for me.  Maybe that's why I'm sticking to writing children's stories ... that way I can understand what I'm writing about.

Or, with the show coming out, what about book 3 of The Hunger Games.  Loved and gobbled up 1 and 2 and then fizzled out very quickly on 3.  It was if it was a completely different author.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:30:43 am by churlishfellow »

Read my books or evil wins. You don't want that.
Mark Simon Smith | website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline tedkeller

• View Profile
    Re: Books That Everyone Loves That You Just Can't Enjoy
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:49:26 am »
    Haha, I'm the opposite - Bradbury, Heller, Dick - these I can read in one sitting. But Dan Brown, Brad Thor, Meyer - now these get my teeth itching before the end of chapter one. And, of course, the minnows that have spawned in their wake. Also contemporary space opera - Hamilton, Kevin J, these I can finish, but barely. 'The Fat Bestseller' is I think the definition of what I can't handle.

Offline Harry Shannon

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • The Official Harry Shannon Web Site
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:50:23 am »
    I could not get through Cold Mountain. Tried three times.

My first attempt at The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo bombed, because the story bored me. The second time I got hooked in the middle and continued on.

I hated Pride and Prejudice too, also The House of Seven Gables didn't grab me.

On Twitter.com as HarryShannon
    www.HarryShannon.com

Offline Sean Patrick Fox

• CT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:19:14 am »
    Many of the classics, to be honest. No interest in Herman Melville, Jane Austen, Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc.

Offline Jorja Tabu

• USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:52 am »
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo!  I hate it when it comes up because I'm inevitably stuck defending why.

Offline psychotick

• Rotorua, Land of the Long White Cloud
      • View Profile
      • Greg's Fantastical Tales
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »
    Ignoring the obvious classics like the Bard which basically just aren't my thing - Harry Potter. It's weird, I write and read fantasy, love the stuff, and yet HP leaves me cold. Don't know why unless it's because I just can't find the fun in the books.

Cheers, Greg.
    Mostly Clueless

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »
    Many of the classics, to be honest. No interest in Herman Melville, Jane Austen, Nathaniel Hawthorne, etc.

Yup, me too. I also don't like Charles Dickens.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Phyllis Lily Jules

• Arizona
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »
    Eat, Pray, Love. I loved the author on Oprah, but her book was a different story. Everyone raved about it while I just rolled my eyes.

Offline Ty Johnston

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Author Ty Johnston
    « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:24:31 pm »
    I also don't like Charles Dickens.

I'm right there with you on that one. I think Dickens had his strengths, especially for his times, but I can't stand his prose. Find him dry and boring. I'd rather read Melville, who at least keeps me interested with his research knowledge.

Ty Johnston | blog

KBoards.com

• Advertisement