Author Topic: Where have all the regulars gone?  (Read 16139 times)  

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
Re: Where have all the regulars gone?
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:27 am »
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the authors. I think it has to do with the slow down of new people asking questions and then getting involved in other threads. They keep things vibrant. Let's face it, once you have your covers and bags there is only so long before you stop checking the accessories thread. The number of users out there diminishes the need for people to stop in and ask questions.

I am not surprised. A bit sad but not surprised.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 06:07:04 am »
    I just read through the whole thread for the first time (I've skimmed it) and to address a couple of practical matters....

There was a comment about posts being moved from Let's Talk Kindle...things get moved from there because it's for talking about Kindles themselves.  Discussions about books will get moved to the Book Corner.  Questions about using the Kindle will get moved to Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting.  Other discussions may get moved to Not Quite Kindle if they have nothing to do with the Kindle itself.  (Personally, I think this thread should be in Not Quite Kindle as it is about KindleBoards, not Kindles. *shrug*)

The Writers' Café is very active.  I think that's a good thing and am happy that our member-authors find it a great place to hang out.  But yes, it means that the generic "show new replies" link above will have a lot of Writers' Café posts.  A couple of tips have been given for browsing the individual boards.  Another one--if you go to our home page -- www.kboards.com -- when you look at the boards there, if the "page" icon to the left of each board is dark, that means there are unread posts in that board; if it's light, there are no new posts in that board.

Also, you can bookmark a link that will show you all new posts in selected boards, for example all but the Writers' Café.  Back in a minute with that link.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:13:18 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:48 am »
    That experience predated Facebook - which is such a strange phenomenon. I now know WAY more about people and their business than I should!

I don't know that I know way more about my Facebook friends than I should, as most of them post as if people already know the story. I often still don't have a clue. :)
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:54 am »
    Corrected!
    OK, here's a link that shows all new replies for the following boards (the number is the board identifier that the forum software uses):
    Let's Talk Kindle (1), Fire Talk (80), Accessories ( 8 ), Book Corner (9), Tips, Tricks & Troubleshooting (2), Not Quite Kindle (4), Buy, Sell, Trade & Barter (5), Special Deals & Discounts (11)

https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,80,8,9,2,4,5,11

Other boards that you might want to add:
    Reviews (26)
    Book Bazaar (42)
    Photo Gallery (10)
    Introductions (3)
    Kindle Apps (53)
    Other Readers (54)
    Apple Devices (56)

Don't see a board you want to add, such as one of the book klubs, or the Writers' Café?  Go to the home page for that board and see what the board identifier is.  For example, here's the link to the Book Klub for A Song of Fire and Ice:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,65.0.html

The link tells me that board identifier number is 65.

Add it to the above link, with no spaces between it and the comma before.  Take out any that you don't want to see.

So this link adds the Book Klub to the orignal link above:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,80,8,9,2,4,5,11,65

And this one is only Let's Talk Kindle, the Book Corner, Tips, Tricks & Troubleshooting and Not Quite Kindle:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;all;boards=1,9,2,4

You get the idea.  (A side benefit of looking at the board identifier numbers is you can see the order in which KB was built.  It's like an archeological dig. :) )

Then add it to your bookmarks.  Easiest way is to build the link, paste it into your browser, and once there, mark it as favorite or bookmarks.  If you know how to add it to the "Bookmark Bar" on most browsers, it will be as readily available as the current "Show all unread."  If you don't know how to add it to the Bookmark Bar on your browser, and want to, let me know.

Hope this helps!

Betsy
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:10:21 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:41 am »
    Oh how neat. Thank you so much Betsy.  :)

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:43 am »
    that is awesome!!

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:35 am »
    Awesome, Betsy!  Thanks so much!!
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:50 am »
    I just pop in here, the Book Corner, and Not Quite Kindle. I should be going to the Song of Fire and Ice Book Klub but I haven't. (Sorry folks...I'll come back - promise!)

I'll read new posts on threads I'm interested in and ignore any I'm not. Especially generic thread subjects like "Do you...?" "Can we...?" - You get the picture.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 12:23:24 pm »
    I enjoy the diversity of posts....and the look into the minds of the authors in the Writers' Caf...  :D  Scary though it can be...  ::)

I can't pick and choose as much as I'd like  ;D but I don't find it difficult to overlook the posts I'm not interested in.

Another tip:  if there's a particular board that you aren't interested in, periodically go to that board and "Mark Read" (upper right side of the topic listing) which will mark all the posts as read and only the new ones from that point on, until the next time you click it, will appear in your "Show All Unread Posts" listing.

Betsy

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
    And yet, it could be argued that your second sentence is, by definition, promotion.  Oh, you didn't mention any specific title, but the fact that you said you don't promote, makes it clear that you're an author.  ::)

Jason's post, which you quoted, is the same sort of thing. . . . several sentences saying he's not going to promote -- which means he definitely draws attention to the fact that he's an author in a thread on a board outside the Book Bazaar. :-\

I think those kinds of throw away comments really rub some people the wrong way.  Your overall post would have been just as good without that second sentence and it wouldn't have had even a whiff of promotion about it.  And Jason didn't need to announce that he was removing his signature links; he could have just done it.

Just an observation. :)

:(

So much for trying to make a nice gesture to those who are feeling trod upon. 

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »
    For those who are not regular:

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:30 pm »
    :(

So much for trying to make a nice gesture to those who are feeling trod upon. 

Ann was giving some examples of how it looks to people who want to hang garlic and wave crosses at the windows.  Oh, wait....that's for vampires.  *digs out the manual again.*

Betsy

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »
    For those who are not regular:

Thanks for using the KB link, Jeff.  ;D

Betsy

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 01:26:21 pm »
    Ann was giving some examples of how it looks to people who want to hang garlic and wave crosses at the windows.  Oh, wait....that's for vampires.  *digs out the manual again.*

Betsy

or vampire authors?  so it would work on one of the Davids but not the other.....

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
    Thanks for using the KB link, Jeff.  ;D

Betsy
    Just trying to find a way to make Harvey a rich man while keeping everyone else regular.

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 02:25:49 pm »
    I was a frequent poster a long time ago and I wil tell you why I significantly reduced my participation. First there were few real questions left. We all knew how to work everything, and new folks had a large database of answers they could search through. Once you've talked about a topic 50 times it becomes boring. The second reason is probably more about my reaction to certain things on the board. There was a period a couple years ago when certain posters became very political. That turned me off big time.

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »
    Oh how neat. Thank you so much Betsy.  :)

Thank you, Betsy! That's exactly what I was looking for. I can make that my bookmark link now 😄
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 05:40:05 pm »
    I'm here; MEMBER #153 SINCE:  October 28, 2008.  This is my family.  Friendliest forum ever.
    Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline Tripp

• Kent, Washington
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
    I have been a member since March 2009 when I followed one of Leslie's breadcrumbs over here.  I tend to be a little more lurker than poster as you can see by my post numbers (some have far surpassed me 8)  ). I am sure I am not the only one.

I have noticed that the activity here varies and sometimes there are not as many interesting topics as other times.  And yes, with new members posting more and some members disappearing or reducing their presence, KB has changed.  But I don't think it is good or bad, it is just a natural progression IMHO. I think this is one of the best forums out there and I love you all....   ;D 

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.
    -C. S. Lewis

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:58 pm »
    Reading this thread makes me verklempt.  Y'all are great.  KB is still the best, and it's the members that make it.  Thanks for all the kind words for the forum!

Betsy

Offline Victorine

• Nebraska
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 09:45:58 pm »
    I used to attend a group each week. I really enjoyed going, the people were friendly and I was always approached by people asking me how my week was and I felt included and really had an enjoyable time. Then some people moved out, the dynamics of the group changed, and I started feeling like I wasn't "getting" anything out of going anymore.

Then one person told me they go each week with the thought, "What can I do for others?" rather than "What can others do for me?"

This totally changed my attitude and my weekly experience. I started initiating conversations. I began seeking out others, looking for ways to make the weekly group better for everyone else. I began to be less concerned about myself and more concerned about others.

I can't tell you how enriching this became. I saw the group in a much different light. I got to know people I hadn't known. I joined in conversations I wouldn't have otherwise. I left each week even more uplifted than I had before.

I'm not trying to criticize or be preachy, just sharing that experience. If Kindleboards isn't what you want it to be, maybe try to initiate more conversations...things you'd like to talk about. Maybe get to know some new people. Sure, there are a lot of authors, but some of us are nice. ;)
    Not What She Seems - A NYT's Bestseller

Now Available! Accidentally Married

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
    • Flight #1623
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 09:58:44 pm »
    I love the filters Betsy, thanks!  Unfortunately, I seem to be doing something wrong.  When I follow the link or copy/paste it, I only get the first forum in the numbers.  In your example, I'm only getting Let's Talk Kindle, the others after the semicolon don't show up.  Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?  Is there a filter setting somewhere I need to check?

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »
    Let me double check...maybe it's me.
     ;D

EDIT:  Oops!  Supposed to be commas where the semi-colons are and I thought I tested it.  Will fix in my OP....

Betsy
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:07:30 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
    • Flight #1623
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:21 pm »
    That works!  Thanks :)

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline sebat

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:55 am »
    KB had certainly evolved over the last few years but I don't have any complaints. I've been around since Nov. '08 so I've seen most of the change.  I do miss a few of the "old regulars" but not all.   

I still check in daily but have never been a big poster.  In the past, I've always tried to help out with questions but I haven't kept up with the technology so it's no longer possible to do that.  I also don't like to post if I'm going to say the exact same thing the last 15 people said. 

I don't have a problem with our indies.  I enjoy reading some of their posts in the writers cafe.  I find the business side of writing fascinating! I enjoy their "brag" threads. It makes me happy to see their success and I almost feel I'm a part of it just by being here at KB.  I will even occasionally comment if I feel like they are missing the readers POV.

I used to attend a group each week. I really enjoyed going, the people were friendly and I was always approached by people asking me how my week was and I felt included and really had an enjoyable time. Then some people moved out, the dynamics of the group changed, and I started feeling like I wasn't "getting" anything out of going anymore.

Then one person told me they go each week with the thought, "What can I do for others?" rather than "What can others do for me?"

This totally changed my attitude and my weekly experience. I started initiating conversations. I began seeking out others, looking for ways to make the weekly group better for everyone else. I began to be less concerned about myself and more concerned about others.

I can't tell you how enriching this became. I saw the group in a much different light. I got to know people I hadn't known. I joined in conversations I wouldn't have otherwise. I left each week even more uplifted than I had before.

I'm not trying to criticize or be preachy, just sharing that experience. If Kindleboards isn't what you want it to be, maybe try to initiate more conversations...things you'd like to talk about. Maybe get to know some new people. Sure, there are a lot of authors, but some of us are nice. ;)
    Well said.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement