Kindle Forum banner

Where have all the regulars gone?

17K views 138 replies 58 participants last post by  sjc 
#1 ·
Looks like KB is going the way of Nookboards. Lots of new members, "Authors". They are everywhere. Older favorite members don't seem to post anymore. Used to be the place to be. Even the free books in the book bazaar are 99% Authors pushing each other as no self promotion is allowed.LOL Used to get great free Amazon books, now 1%. Check it out, most of the posters have their books in signature, and are pushing books from their friends, more authors. Last 2 items in today's bazaar are a great example!

#77 ·
And this is a general post, not directed to anyone, but, I think the mods here do an amazing job herding the 60,000+ people here on KB when if you think about it there are really only a handful of them.

I've taught school. It's difficult keeping 30 kids in line. I can't imagine trying to do it here. Yes, some people get feelings hurt, some have thin skin, some go away, some are asked to leave, but all in all, this is an amazing place to be.

(Although I have to admit I wish people used the search functions more.)

#79 ·
Not sure if I'm a regular but I havent been around much lately because....I have so many books now!

I've had my Kindle since June and spent lots of time here finding out about new books, new authors, sources for books in my favorite genres, and got loads of recommendations and links to bargains.

In my preferred genres, I seem to have acquired (or already read) lots of the really good books and authors, so not looking as much anymore.

Now I'm reading!

And with the emergence of the new K's in November, there are fewer topics on accessories for my K3 in that forum...plus I already have my K all tricked out!

#80 ·
BTackitt said:
(Although I have to admit I wish people used the search functions more.)
Bear in mind that the Google search option, for some reason, brings up a lot of WAP and Printer pages, which are usable if you know how (edit the URL*). Also, the Google results are still not very useful for large threads, as they don't seem to bring you to the post you want. Or they don't bring me there, anyway. :)

And that if you don't use the exact search term that was used in the thread, you won't find it.

I often have trouble finding threads I know exist because I can't remember the exact phrasing....

And a lot of new kindle users aren't necessarily used to forums.

Y'all are patient, just sayin'.

Betsy

*Editing the URL: if one of the search results is
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=47242.0
remove the "action=printpage;" so that it reads http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=47242.0
If one of the search results is a mobile (WAP) page
http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=1585.0;wap
just remove the ";wap" http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=1585.0 )

#81 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Or they don't bring me there, anyway. :)

And that if you don't use the exact search term that was used in the thread, you won't find it.

I often have trouble finding threads I know exist because I can't remember the exact phrasing....
You're not alone Betsy. Same thing happens to me.

#82 ·
mom133d (aka Liz) said:
You're not alone Betsy. Same thing happens to me.
It's why it doesn't bother me when other people ask questions that have been asked before. Maybe they tried searching.

Now the fact that so many things are explained in sticky threads and people ask questions when there's a sticky right above their heads in the same forum....THAT makes me roll my eyes! ::)

But that's okay, too.....

;D

#83 ·
I used to log onto KB every day, but now I come around less frequently and lurk more than participate.  It isn't just KB; I also made a conscious decision to try to spend less time online b/c it was cutting into precious reading time!  ;)  But I do love that I can come here to read what others are saying about Kindles and ebooks in general and to complain about the mean ol' publishers and occasionally find a fix to any Kindle troubles. 

Betsy's suggestion on how to customize the Unread Topics page is going to be really helpful to me.

One thing I miss a lot is going to Book Corner to discuss books with other readers the way I used to be able to do.  But overall, this is a great forum and there's a reason why it's the only one I've ever signed up for.

Great work, mods!

N :)

#84 ·
I've read similar comments about the Book Corner several times in this thread. If anyone wants to have discussions with readers, I don't really know what's stopping them. There are a lot of book discussion threads. If the book, author or genre you want to discuss isn't being discussed, start a thread.

Here's another suggestion: turn off signatures. Then, when you're discussing a book/author/genre in the Book Corner, you won't know at a glance who is an author and who isn't (except for those who have "Author" in their username :D) and can judge them solely on their posts. If they are posting "I thought of Lord of the Rings when I was writing my opus" feel free to report them, as that is NOT posting as a reader. Otherwise, authors are readers and book lovers too, and have plenty to contribute. Skip the threads you're not interested in and participate in the book discussions. There are plenty of them. Just my .02 worth.

Betsy

#85 ·
I've never been one to post frequently in any message board community I've been a part of, but that's my personality.  In face-to-face conversations, I'm fairly quiet, too.

But I think certain sections of this board, like Let's Talk Kindle! have become more cyclical.  If a new product is being rumored, then there's a lot more speculation, then who all is ordering, then there's the reviews and troubleshooting when the new product is out.  The thing is, Amazon has addressed a lot of the issues that were previously discussed on here, and given us Kindles for all types of situations: the Fire, the Touch, the old-school Keyboard, and the DX. We still don't have a non-backlit color screen, but that may or may not ever become a reality.

Also, the Kindle is no longer as new as it once was.  Yes, there are still people who are new to Kindle but for many of us, we've gotten comfortable with the product and no longer have the same questions that we once did. 

At some point, when the same conversations were getting recycled, I started to feel like my responses were a broken record.  So, I personally avoided re-answering the same questions and let others (newer posters) answer after a while.

#86 ·
I joined KB after the (in)famous Oprah sale on K1s a few years ago. I think I found the site through one of Leslie's Amazon posts.

I am guessing I was probably considered more of a "regular" in the early years, but the evolution of KB has nothing to do with why I posted less frequently as time marched on. I kept the K1 for a while and the "excitement" wore off. I still used it daily, but there was only so much I could post and contribute when I was being left behind by the K2, K3, DX, etc. Now I have a K4 and a Fire, so I'm current again and more in tune with today's products.

I remember the "good old days" too. With that said, I think the current incarnation of KB is still great, just different. But of course it's different. That's inevitable. The Kindle was more or less a niche product in those days. Now it's its own industry.

Back then, yes, there was less of everything. Less indie authors, so we got to "know" them more. Less topics and posts (but there were repeat questions even back then - don't fool yourselves, folks). Less of everything. It made KB feel like more of a small, close-knit community, sure. Of course those of us who were around then might feel nostalgic and pine for those more intimate days. But that couldn't last and no one should have expected it to. It was inevitable that the Kindle would blow up and become a huge phenomenon, and that means more users and obviously more KB members. If that hadn't happened, the alternative would've been no new Kindles and *gasp* maybe no KB. I know which one I prefer. :)

#87 ·
I was active on ebook boards back when Palm Pilots were the ebook reader of choice. There was a lot to discuss: Fifteen or twenty competing formats, the high prices of readers, the whole RocketReader saga, and the advent of this weird new display called "e-ink" that might or might not have a future. :)

Now it kind of seems like, as far as Kindle is concerned, Amazon has it pretty well worked out. The Kindle works and works well and intuitively, and that does leave less to talk (and gripe and speculate) about.

I think it's mainly a matter of the Kindle becoming less of a novelty item and more of a household appliance. (Is there a ToasterBoards anywhere?)

#88 ·
geoffthomas said:
I think it is fair to ask about the long-time members.
I joined just before the K2 was delivered.
Guess I followed Leslie's breadcrumbs as well as others.
I enjoyed some like BJ (who was incredibly talented graphically) but was also put-off by him. Was sorry to see his wife be loyal to her man and go too. And then we lost some incredible members because of it - Robin Goodfellow and eventually Vampy.
but
There were others that just seemed to fade away. Like chynared21 and NeverSleepsAWink and more recently Sugar and Sailor. Some have deceased like Dona.
Hey people who are passionate about their toys (Kindles and books) eventually have to go back to work and their families.
And sometimes you want to know about something but once you have that knowledge, the site becomes less useful.
I love the "new" members. Since the site mgmt has restricted "author-talk" to the Bazaar and Cafe, the remainder of KB has been fine.
Sure most posts today occur inthe Cafe, so use the techniques that Betsy showed us. I personally find checking on responses to my posts (I post in threads that interest me) to handle most of my needs. And I skim around here and there to find new subjects of interest.
But I made a lot of friends with the "original" authors - Like Jeff Hepple and Margaret Lake, and Mike Hicks, and Ed Patterson and so many others. But I have enjoyed finding new ones - like the two Davids. Both write good books and are a gas. Victorine provides such nice balance. And I love Chris Marks and Carolyn Kephart. I have discovered Brendan Carroll and R.J.Keller and Thumper. And I have fouind a jewel - A. Sparrow.
More recently I found Sara Meine - makes Amanda Hocking look like the children's books that they are (IMHO).
And Monique Martin and Dawn McCullough White and D.A. Boulter and Kathy Bell and Ian Hocking just make my day.
I love going into the Bazaar and the Cafe and just reading threads. Sometimes I will post - if I feel that I can add anything, or just to be social.
I believe that the mods are overworked (and definitely underpaid) and I have great affection for them. And yes it is true that I do not always agree with the decisions made or the sometimes curt method in which a problem is handled. But you know what? I respect and love them for the incredible job they do of herding us cats.
This is a virtual family for some of us. We hurt when a member dies and also when some member has a "real" family problem. We sometimes share these issues and try to help - come look at the stop smoking thread.
So I have written a lot of words. Many of you already know how I felt. But if you didn't then I hope this helped with something, somehow.

Just sayin.....
Aw Geoff, you rock :)
Dawn

#89 ·
WHERE HAVE ALL THE REGULARS GONE
(With apologies to Peter, Paul and Mary)

by Craig Hansen

Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Trad-pubs signed them, every one.
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Where have all the trad-pubs gone?
Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Gone for Kindles, everyone

Where have all the Kindles gone?
Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Gone for iPads, every one.

Where have all the iPads gone?
Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Gone to recyclers, every one.

Where have all the recyclers gone?
Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Gone to regulars, every one.

Long time passing.
Long time ago.
Trad-pubs signed them, every one.

#91 ·
I must say this discussion is giving me one hell of a deja vu. I'm definitely not a regular here (though I can easily imagine myself sticking around here), but I was a regular on an online gaming forum for several years. When I first joined, it was loads of fun, and I really enjoyed the community. I quickly got to know the regulars and would often get in touch with them outside of the board.

But after a couple of years, things changed. Old people left, and the new people joining weren't half as interesting, focusing only on promoting their own stuff but never taking the time to take part in discussions. Despite this, I stuck around, and found that despite my misgivings of the "newbies", many of them turned about to be good forum members after they'd lingered for a while. Of course, this was only a single board with no sub-forums or anything, so everything was all jumbled into the same place.

I very much doubt this will happen to KB. Authors are required to keep their promotion in the designated area to prevent the other discussions from being buried underneath, and the moderators are doing an excellent job keeping things in order.

#93 ·
Fuzzy Dunlop said:
only so much one can talk about when it comes to a kindle..I pretty much frequent the Book Corner section now
I don't know. I've been around since K1 and there is a lot to talk about. Especially as new Kindles are released and new KBoard members pop up. I don't come as much because between work and reading, I just don't have as much time. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things by using Tapatalk to stay in touch, but life definately gets in the way. I'm also just as passionate about my Kindle(s) and my last hold-out family member just got one. ;D Even my grandkids are Kindle Fire users.

I think that a lot of us just turn into lurkers while some became legends. The world goes 'round....

#94 ·
Jesslyn said:
I think that a lot of us just turn into lurkers while some became legends. The world goes 'round....
Mostly this! ^^
It does take more of an effort to post than to lurk, and since there are more people on KB, it also takes more time to slog through the posts. I find I can not use the "show unread posts since last visit" feature anymore, there are just too many posts. I do have a system though for going through the boards, it just takes more time now.

#95 ·
I used to post a ton here, probably too much for many members... but had a pretty rough 2011 and didn't spend a lot of time online. I have definitely been in lurk-mode for most of the past year at least. I find it funny that the first time I come back and actually start browsing (as opposed to viewing replies to my posts) I see this thread at the top of the first page.

KB is awesome!

***EDIT***
After browsing for a few minutes, I can see at least one aspect of the boards that may be turning people away and that is the plethora of erotica book covers and risque profile pics. Wow. Just started reading the thread about Battle Royale vs The Hunger Games and on the first page saw links to books about golden showers and gangbangs.

Sad.

#96 ·
911jason said:
***EDIT***
After browsing for a few minutes, I can see at least one aspect of the boards that may be turning people away and that is the plethora of erotica book covers and risque profile pics. Wow. Just started reading the thread about Battle Royale vs The Hunger Games and on the first page saw links to books about golden showers and gangbangs.

Sad.
I have to agree here, that is one area that has really changed. I am constantly ad-blocking avatars and books now. I'm sure that a couple of members have stopped checking in as much because of this.

#98 ·
911jason said:

Sad.
Well, there's this bit in the Forum Decorum thread:

Harvey said:
No posting of pictures that are not "parent-friendly". Use your judgment. The mods get the final say - but please accept that we want every page on this site to be viewable by all ages.

#101 ·
luvshihtzu said:
Thanks for the reminder about signatures and avatars. I just went and switched off both. Most avatars are quite clever, but I don't want to see everyone's expensive boob jobs in all their glory. This is easier than having to complain about them individually. :)
what!!?? *how do I turn avatars back on again?*. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.